• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Iddis

Smash Apprentice

This so much.

I've been thinking this exact thought all day. In fact, all day I've been formulating an counter-argument in my mind. Yes, I know it won't do anything to stop anyone, and it isn't worth it to argue because the game is so close to release, but I'm still going to write / record this counter-argument (it's been something I've been looking to do for awhile).

This next part is unrelated to your post, but I wanted to put this here because it was bugging me earlier today.

The detractors are actually right about something. Well, partially right. They make a good case when they say "That doesn't apply to Kirby or Olimar, because there's nothing outside of that to compare them to." That's actually a really good point (for their side), and it makes a lot of sense. Now before you think I'm turning on you all, I'm not. The problem is, the way a lot of us use the Olimar argument, doesn't work. There's nothing to compare Olimar to, but there would be with Ridley. I'm as guilty with this as the next person, but I'm telling you all we need to change this argument statement. Bring up Bowser, not Olimar. Not Bowser from the games where he is gigantic, bring up the New Super Mario Bros series and Bowser's Inside Story (some more might work, too). In NSMB, he almost doubles Mario's size without being altered by magic, but in Bowser's Inside story, he's about the size of Mario:Bowser in Smash Bros. This goes to show that he has multiple canonical sizes, but still gets resized to fit. I guess you could also bring up Ganondorf from TP, where he doubles Link but he's less than 1.5 Links in Smash. Ridley would be resized this way, because he has multiple canonical sizes. He isn't always a hulking beast, he can be a similar size to Samus. Of course, he'd still be resized to fit like Ganondorf of Bowser, but not like Olimar and Kirby. Definitely not like Olimar and Kirby.

EDIT:The majority of this was not directed at you Waluigi (if you hadn't guessed). It quickly went from support to hate because there's a good chance I'm going to paste some of that in my final "script"... (because I'm lazy and don't want to retype).Clarification.

EDIT 2: Reworded, this thing was hanging over my head at how it was written. I hate sounding like a **** unless I really need to, which in this case, I didn't. Sorry if I offended anyone, I rewrote it to how it was meant to be written now.
For Olimar in Pikmin 2 one of the items you get is R.O.B.'s head

I'm not doing this to start anything or nothing, i'm just saying/showing that there is a way to compare his size to a fellow smasher. (In a canon series)

Last edited:
For Olimar in Pikmin 2 one of the items you get is R.O.B.'s head

I'm not doing this to start anything or nothing, i'm just saying/showing that there is a way to compare his size to a fellow smasher. (In a canon series)
Wasn't there a giant ROB in SSE that olimar fights when falcon comes in?

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
If we're looking for characters that are a different scale than other characters in their franchise, Ganondorf is a good example. He's noticeably shorter than his Twilight Princess model.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't care less about Shokio, I wouldn't mind Nin10doUlttra's reaction though. :cool:
all i remember from that video was him blowing up and calling the ridley fans **** **** **** **** **** and then commenting about the dislikes were from ridley ****

Wasn't there a giant ROB in SSE that olimar fights when falcon comes in?
yes, yes your right...that SSE scene was a nod to pikmin 2!

Last edited:
I kind of like having liets in here for the fact that it allows the other side of the arguement to be present. Plus he keeps us honest for when we go a little too far with theories and statements. Polite detractors are fun that way and for once we didn't scare them away

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't there a giant ROB in SSE that oliamr fights when falcon comes in?
Yes, but their argument is that in canon there is no comparison so his size doesn't matter (when there is) and that comparisons of the characters don't matter in smash itself that's why us saying Olimar isn't anywhere close to being as tall Pikachu canon wise (while I wanna say he is taller then him in smash or close to it) has no pull.

But yea there was, actually it was one of my favorite videos from the SSE with Captain Falcon posing in all the Pikmin souls after doing an epic Falcon Punch then sliding through and killing them all, lol

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if we'll get a interesting POTD tomorrow......

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
The thing with people saying ridley can't be done. There are so many characters in smash right now that people said could not be done. A lot of people(sakurai included) said villager could not be done. Some people thought pac-man could not be done. Sakurai is making many characters that were believed impossible in Smash4. So, why not the BIG ONE.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I wonder if we'll get a interesting POTD tomorrow......
GeeIwonder:metaknight:
In all serious, I do as well.
Maybe Meta Knight in Pyrosphere under Ridley's Shadow, but a smaller shadow this time around.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I feel like if Sakurai does I fact have Ridley as a playable character, people shouldn't expect some sort of technical justification because he probably didn't need one to put Ridley in the game.

If Sakurai puts Ridley in the game, it's most likely going to be because he wants Ridley in the game. Size, wingspan, previous iterations, they all don't matter in general. Sakurai can shrink, edit, etc. As long as the character ends up staying true to themselves, I think Sakurai would be satisfied.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
What people need to realize is:

Just being serious. The villager wouldn't even be here if he was "impossible", so Ridley especially has a chance, he is far from "impossible" if just something like size was keeping him from being playable. Looking "********" is completely subjective.

Last edited:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping tomorrow's POTD is an Announcement of a Direct, or maybe they'll just spring one out of nowhere, And I'm Hoping if they do it has A Villain Theme, Like Revealing: Wario, Meta Knight, Ganondorf, and Maybe A Big Newcomer, A Sassy Newcomer, and a Fat Newcomer. (Ridley, Ghirahim, and K. Rool)

Gods, I can imagine it now.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Dunno if anybody mentioned this yet, but this Friday is the NA release date of Metroid so if we get an direct or something that day it looks like we'll be seeing our favorite space dragon.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that the Ridley support bug is so contagious, that if Ridley is disconfirmed, we will all look like this video:
And yes, I was just looking for a reason to post this video:dazwa:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
It's almost been a month since the last reveal. There's no way we don't get anything soon..right?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
A month since anything new for that matter...y u do dis sakurai :(
Well...If we don't get anything until near the end of August expect the floodgates to be open. I still want something in the next few days though. Pls..Trailer confirming Ridley pls.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that the Ridley support bug is so contagious, that if Ridley is disconfirmed, we will all look like this video:
And yes, I was just looking for a reason to post this video:dazwa:
An awful cycle that would be...........But I know who I'm blaming first if it comes to this.

Myself because as soon as I heard detractors my first thought was, "how close minded these people are."

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I feel like creating a trailer. This is obviously ultra unrealistic, and i went with the Girls vs Guys kinda thing because basically all the villains are guys and the girls dont get too much love some times. Also, I suck at writing sometimes; but oh well. (Extra disclaimer; I chose Lucina becuase I didnt think WTF or Villager really fit here)

Palutena, Samus, Lucina, and Sheik appear together, in some kind of derelict space station. The atmoshpere is heavy and dark, the air oppressively thick. Our four heroines walk through the abandoned halls. each step a creak, or a moan of ancient steel. Deep within the structure, a shrill cry echoes softly. The four approach a rusted doorway, which samus, the leader approches. Wielding her arm cannon, she blasts it apart and begins walking into the next room. The three others follow confidently. But again, another cry; a bloodcurdling screech, loud and full of malice. Sheik involuntarily draws a breath, samus aims her cannon to her right, and lucina freezes. Palutena giggles, and says to the group; "Nothing to fear, I'm a Godess!" The others seem to be amused and the group begins to move onward yet again.

A moment later.

"Heh." A single, deep laugh. BOOM! A fist bursts forth from the wall nearest to palutena and the resulting force pushes her back. From the smoldering ruins of the wall enters GANONDORF! He punches his fists together, radiating energy. Then he lets forth a blast of dark magic that seperates everyone from palutena, and begins to break the space station apart. He lets forth another blow at palutena, who is able to defend. Ganondorf then lets his arms down, only to flick out twin blades! He attacks, and palutena is thrown away from her fellow heroines.

Lucina raises her blade and begins to chase after Ganondorf; but samus places a hand on her shoulder and gives her a signal; Palutena can handle herself. The two then turn around and begin to continue through the station only to realize something; sheik had disappeared!

Sheik is moving full speed down another ancient hallway. She sensed a presence, one that could only belong to one person. As she rounds a corner, three flying blades soar right at her, but sheik masterfully dodges all three. Out of the shadows, a figure steps forward. Just before it is revealed; the figure flips its hair and laughs manically! GHIRAHIM SLICES AND DICES! Ghirahim charges toward sheik as she readies herself for battle. He dashes forth and then unleashes his demon blade, just as sheik lets forth a lightning quick strike!

Lucina and Samus continue to move through the damaged space station, running at full speed through the the empty halls. Legs churning, eyes darting, samus moves with confidence, just as her partner does. The two continue to power through the station, heading for their fellows when suddenly Lucina falls through a hole in the floor! It was a trap! Now alone, Samus realizes she has to find a way to reach everyone quickly.

Lucina falls through the air, and lands with grace. She draws her blade and begins to look around. The room is very dark, shadows engulfing most of its perimeter. She is about to begin looking for an exit when she hears a strange rolling sound. She glances behind her to see a ball rolling towards her. A canonball. With a deep laugh and thunderous footsteps, a monstrous beast enters from the shadows. K ROOL KRUSHES THE KOMPETITION! He leaves the shadows, aims the blunderbuss, and fires. BAM!

Samus hears the massive blast from the gun, but continues to move on. She continues to sprint towards the room now marked on her map, the best way to meet up with her fellows. She blasts open several walls and enters a massive circular room. Faint red lights blink on the other side and samus taps her helmet to open up a 3D map display. She glances over it carefully, but hears a CLICK above her. She looks up to see two yellow lights, standard lighting. The lights squint. With a horrifying screech that deafens, the lights widen. The eyes widen. RIDLEY TERRORIZES THE COMPETITION! Samus raises her weapon and begins to fire, but Ridley is fast, and slams her through the floor into the room beneath. Armor sparking, samus begins to get up when a hand reaches out for her. Sheik picks her up and samus notices she has reunited with the others. Together the four heroines line up back to back ready to fight. But the villains begin to step forth from the shadows, ready to end the battle...

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I suspect a vet, and or something atleast pertaining to the Pyrosphere this week... hopefully I'm right. It's been a month, Sakurai enjoys seeing us happy so... let us hope the Cunning God comes to us.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
They're gonna announce Ridley today, I can feel it in my shoes.

"hey look its ridley isnt he awesome" sakurai will say, and everyone will smile and drink punch made with the tears of upset ridley haters.

Yep, it's gonna be so awesome~

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
They're gonna announce Ridley today, I can feel it in my shoes.

"hey look its ridley isnt he awesome" sakurai will say, and everyone will smile and drink punch made with the tears of upset ridley haters.

Yep, it's gonna be so awesome~
Not today, but soon enough.

Anyhow, welcome aboard, rookie! Here's your egg.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
He also was director of the series since the beginning. It was only in Other M when he snapped.
Didn't he say something about how other M's story wasn't well received because players weren't ready to accept a female protagonist or something like that, or am I just remembering wrong.
(because that's kinda bull****)

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
The guy who ruined Metroid (Even though I'm not a Metroid fan I still know who this guy is for that reason alone). Yeah, that'll work to :D
At least Metroid: Other M had some 2D Metroid enemies, also it was kind of fun when it wasn't ultra long cutscenes?

And I would not be mad if Ridley in SSB4 was roidley, I actually think that design is pretty cool.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Am I the only one who hated Other M's gameplay? Who thought that constantly switching between third and first person was jarring and ruined the pace of both combat and exploration?

I would have been a lot happier with just another Prime game.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who hated Other M's gameplay? Who thought that constantly switching between third and first person was jarring and ruined the pace of both combat and exploration?

At least the sidescrolling parts of Other M's gameplay was alright. Everything about the perspective switching was kind of dumb.

And don't get me started with those "Find a thing" sections or the second last boss when you have no indication of what to do and probably die multiple times trying to figure it out.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Still, it is better than just shoot, rip off shields, shoot, jump, shoot, shoot, shoot, morph ball power bombs, etc. Trying something new isn't a bad thing while reusing something so many times IS. It could have been better if they would properly make 1st person mode. For example, allow player to MOVE, scan something that is not important to the godd**n plot and, of course, make that mode optional. That would make gameplay a lot better.
I don't hate Prime games or anything like that, but i dislike 1st person camera games, so, i prefer 2D Metroid games.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Didn't he say something about how other M's story wasn't well received because players weren't ready to accept a female protagonist or something like that, or am I just remembering wrong.
(because that's kinda bull****)
It wasn't well accepted because we all built up in our minds that Samus is a strong woman, in other M she is just a little girl afraid of Ridley who by the time she's killed countless times and shown no hesitation before then.

Also they make her look stupid.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Still, it is better than just shoot, rip off shields, shoot, jump, shoot, shoot, shoot, morph ball power bombs, etc. Trying something new isn't a bad thing while reusing something so many times IS. It could have been better if they would properly make 1st person mode. For example, allow player to MOVE, scan something that is not important to the godd**n plot and, of course, make that mode optional. That would make gameplay a lot better.
I don't hate Prime games or anything like that, but i dislike 1st person camera games, so, i prefer 2D Metroid games.
I hate first person games as well. In fact, there are only three I've ever liked. They are: Metroid Prime, Portal, and Dishonored. I couldn't play Earthbound because the first-person perspective drove me nuts (despite the fact that I would otherwise love it).

Also, look over that gameplay summary you just gave. "Shoot, shoot, shoot, jump, shoot, morphall ball bombs, etcetera". Sound familiar? That's how Metroid played. Shocker. Metroid was never a game about combat, it was a game about exploration. There are only a handful of bosses, and most of your trouble is in finding them, or in finding enough powerups to survive them, rather than epic combat experiences. How much time did you spend in Metroid fighting foes that required some thought other than just "shoot, shoot, shoot"? Not much.

Metroid Prime was a game about exploration. It captured the feel of the original series perfectly. It's part of why the scan visor actually worked really well. it was just another exploration tool that let you uncover lore about the world and detect hidden things to further explore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom