• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So I had planned to start Other M by now. I set up the Wii Motion sensor bar and everything, but the head cold I had turned into a full blown fever and I'm just kinda writhing on my bed, binging Netflix and occasionally posting here.

I'll get to Other M when I'm better >.<

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So the guy who lives across from me is a Ridley detractor...go figure.

D

Deleted member

So I had planned to start Other M by now. I set up the Wii Motion sensor bar and everything, but the head cold I had turned into a full blown fever and I'm just kinda writhing on my bed, binging Netflix and occasionally posting here.

I'll get to Other M when I'm better >.<
Maybe it's a sign that owning/trying to play Other M is just a bad idea since it is so bad compared to the other Metroid games.

Your body is literally telling you not to play Other M. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Maybe it's a sign that owning/trying to play Other M is just a bad idea since it is so bad compared to the other Metroid games.

Well, I don't trust my body, it's been trying to kill me for years. If Other M is turning out to be a fourth autoimmune disease, I'll beat it like I beat the rest.

Why are you doing this to yourself
How else am I supposed to pass the time until sm4sh

my summer internship just ended

I have a month of speculation to fry my brain

gotta occupy my time somehow.

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503

Or it could be a coincidence. In fact, it probably IS a coincidence, seeing as I've owned Other M and played it on and off for two years without feeling sicker than normal. Control tests, yo.

Also, best to build up a tolerance anyway, since that's the Ridley we'll be getting~

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I been asking for Ridley's role to just be shown for months. The longer I wait, the more stupid internet fights I watch. I seen the same arguments being plastered over forums and comment sections. One of the main reasons I want Ridley to be playable is that if ridley is a boss, would seeing all these dumb fights on the internet be worth it. Hell no! If Ridley is not playable, I will be disappointed in sakurai. Not, because he did not include ridley on the roster. I would be disappointed because how poorly he handled this fiasco. Nintendo and sakurai know about all these people fighting. He could have ended this right after the direct, but it has been a year since pyrosphere's reveal and Ridley's fate is still unknown. If he teases Ridley so ambiguously that he raises people's hopes of him being playable for him to just be a boss, it would be incredibly stupid. This is seriously getting despicable, It is almost at a point where it is not even worth him being playable.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
So not much was shown in the Coro scans that we haven't seen yet. The speculation continues..

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just checked NoA's twitter, and there's nothing about something like that.

Any announcement like that would probably have been posted there by now, so such a rumor is probably not true at all.

But once again a Hyrule Warriors Direct has nothing to do with Ridley.

@ DustyPumpkin DustyPumpkin on that page of yours, it's you're, not your. <3
Collapsed because this is off-topic...

According the the article
http://wiiudaily.com/2014/08/another-hyrule-warriors-stream-planned-this-thursday/
The stream is on NicoNico. IE It's a Japan thing. Nintendo of America wouldn't make the announcement in that case.

All right, this has nothing to do with Ridley. Moving on then~

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Just don't drink the water for a few more weeks and you'll be fine.
I'm more than content with the punch. They...they do offer punch here, right? Kool Aid? Anything other than the water?

On topic: thanks for not much, CoroCoro. Good thing I set my expectations incredibly low.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm more than content with the punch. They...they do offer punch here, right? Kool Aid? Anything other than the water?

On topic: thanks for not much, CoroCoro. Good thing I set my expectations incredibly low.
We got a Frog Hat and a Dragon Gun.
...That'sit.
Not even the hinted Meta Knight.
Not even more veterans for the starter roster, nothing.
Aaaabsolutely nothing.
STUPID!! YOU'RE SO STUPID!!!
But alas, there is still hope! The General Direct is still about! For Ridley, we must move forward!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I been asking for Ridley's role to just be shown for months. The longer I wait, the more stupid internet fights I watch. I seen the same arguments being plastered over forums and comment sections.

This so much.

I've been thinking this exact thought all day. In fact, all day I've been formulating an counter-argument in my mind. Yes, I know it won't do anything to stop anyone, and it isn't worth it to argue because the game is so close to release, but I'm still going to write / record this counter-argument (it's been something I've been looking to do for awhile).

This next part is unrelated to your post, but I wanted to put this here because it was bugging me earlier today.

The detractors are actually right about something. Well, partially right. They make a good case when they say "That doesn't apply to Kirby or Olimar, because there's nothing outside of that to compare them to." That's actually a really good point (for their side), and it makes a lot of sense. Now before you think I'm turning on you all, I'm not. The problem is, the way a lot of us use the Olimar argument, doesn't work. There's nothing to compare Olimar to, but there would be with Ridley. I'm as guilty with this as the next person, but I'm telling you all we need to change this argument statement. Bring up Bowser, not Olimar. Not Bowser from the games where he is gigantic, bring up the New Super Mario Bros series and Bowser's Inside Story (some more might work, too). In NSMB, he almost doubles Mario's size without being altered by magic, but in Bowser's Inside story, he's about the size of Mario:Bowser in Smash Bros. This goes to show that he has multiple canonical sizes, but still gets resized to fit. I guess you could also bring up Ganondorf from TP, where he doubles Link but he's less than 1.5 Links in Smash. Ridley would be resized this way, because he has multiple canonical sizes. He isn't always a hulking beast, he can be a similar size to Samus. Of course, he'd still be resized to fit like Ganondorf of Bowser, but not like Olimar and Kirby. Definitely not like Olimar and Kirby.

EDIT:The majority of this was not directed at you Waluigi (if you hadn't guessed). It quickly went from support to hate because there's a good chance I'm going to paste some of that in my final "script"... (because I'm lazy and don't want to retype).Clarification.

EDIT 2: Reworded, this thing was hanging over my head at how it was written. I hate sounding like a **** unless I really need to, which in this case, I didn't. Sorry if I offended anyone, I rewrote it to how it was meant to be written now.

Last edited:

Charyou Tree

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackmc32
HI. Previous lurker. Made an account. I won't drink the water. Super Metroid is my favorite game. I've wanted Ridley in Smash since Melee. Here's to hoping!

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
So the guy who lives across from me is a Ridley detractor...go figure.
keep friends close, and enemies closer

This so much.

I've been thinking this exact thought all day. In fact, all day I've been formulating an counter-argument in my mind. Yes, I know it won't do anything to stop anyone, and it isn't worth it to argue because the game is so close to release, but I'm still going to write / record this counter-argument (it's been something I've been looking to do for awhile).

This next part is unrelated to your post, but I wanted to put this here because it was bugging me earlier today.

The detractors are actually right about something. Well, partially right. They make a good case when they say "That doesn't apply to Kirby or Olimar, because there's nothing outside of that to compare them to." That's actually a really good point (for their side), and it makes a lot of sense. Now before you think I'm turning on you all, I'm not. The problem is, the way a lot of us use the Olimar argument, doesn't work. There's nothing to compare Olimar to, but there would be with Ridley. I'm as guilty with this as the next person, but I'm telling you all we need to change this argument statement. Bring up Bowser, not Olimar. Not Bowser from the games where he is gigantic, bring up the New Super Mario Bros series and Bowser's Inside Story (some more might work, too). In NSMB, he almost doubles Mario's size without being altered by magic, but in Bowser's Inside story, he's about the size of Mario:Bowser in Smash Bros. This goes to show that he has multiple canonical sizes, but still gets resized to fit. I guess you could also bring up Ganondorf from TP, where he doubles Link but he's less than 1.5 Links in Smash. Ridley would be resized this way, because he has multiple canonical sizes. He isn't always a hulking beast, he can be a similar size to Samus. Of course, he'd still be resized to fit like Ganondorf of Bowser, but not like Olimar and Kirby. Definitely not like Olimar and Kirby.

EDIT:The majority of this was not directed at you Waluigi (if you hadn't guessed). It quickly went from support to hate because there's a good chance I'm going to paste some of that in my final "script"... (because I'm lazy and don't want to retype).Clarification.

EDIT 2: Reworded, this thing was hanging over my head at how it was written. I hate sounding like a **** unless I really need to, which in this case, I didn't. Sorry if I offended anyone, I rewrote it to how it was meant to be written now.
Even if the Olimar size dosnt apply. we still have other characters that were compared too like Lucario

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
HI. Previous lurker. Made an account. I won't drink the water. Super Metroid is my favorite game. I've wanted Ridley in Smash since Melee. Here's to hoping!
Welcome! I hope you join in on more discussions in the near future.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Don't hope, it's just setting yourself up. Ridley is playable. If he's not revealed before release, he's unlockable. The alternative is simply not to be considered. :evil:

Charyou Tree

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackmc32
No reason to hope, read the second post.
I tend to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment. I've looked through the first two posts and I'm like 99.99% sure Ridley is plalyable. I've literally spent the last 4-5 weeks playing metroid games in preparation for an announcement.

uggghh hyrule warriors! you had your time to shine. now make room for Ridley

he may need it
Only reason I can see HW getting one so soon is that it comes out on the 17th in Japan
Which means it is possible that Ridley won't be revealed until 2 days before release. (not like the roster won't be leaked anyway)
I kind of hope that this doesn't prevent a smash announcement though

yay having a sig finally but only 5 images :(

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Only reason I can see HW getting one so soon is that it comes out on the 17th in Japan
Which means it is possible that Ridley won't be revealed until 2 days before release. (not like the roster won't be leaked anyway)
I kind of hope that this doesn't prevent a smash announcement though
Actually, it's not going to really be a Nintendo Direct, but a Japanese-specific Third Party broadcast that features people from Nintendo. At least, I think that's what's been said. Also, it's taking place on the Japanese release date, not before. Hyrule Warriors comes out on the 14th in Japan, same as the broadcast.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrule_Warriors

keep friends close, and enemies closer
And keep the Ridleys closest.

I agree, @ Waluigi is too big Waluigi is too big and @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee

I'm personally disappointed at how much these arguments are taking place. I don't want to argue, I just want to play the game already. However, I have to say I think I'm taking this protracted wait time better than most. Even though I despise it, I think it's actually brilliant on the part of the Smash Team. This is definitely the best marketing for a video game I've ever seen, though I guess this game does sort of market itself. I still think it's utterly genius; hype is real, and it's driving this game's inevitable success so freaking well.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
And keep the Ridleys closest.

I agree, @ Waluigi is too big Waluigi is too big and @ BlueBubbee BlueBubbee

I'm personally disappointed at how much these arguments are taking place. I don't want to argue, I just want to play the game already. However, I have to say I think I'm taking this protracted wait time better than most. Even though I despise it, I think it's actually brilliant on the part of the Smash Team. This is definitely the best marketing for a video game I've ever seen, though I guess this game does sort of market itself. I still think it's utterly genius; hype is real, and it's driving this game's inevitable success so freaking well.
I, um, think you tagged the wrong Waluigi...

But yeah, I agree with you on the rest.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Sorry...but i failed to make Ridley walk on all four...his model just can't do that properly since it has small body and long arms and legs...i still have normal walking animations...

Just a long battle. Not hard. At least he doesn't looks hard.

It was "Metroids? Pfft. Hyper Beam. Bosses? Pfft. Hyber Beam. Omega Ridley? X-Ray Visor and THEN Hyper Beam."
I still can't forget Breakdancing Eggman...
-u- Aw, don't worry! at least you tried, thank you so much again! :) and everything is helpful!

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone even know if there's going to be a normal direct this month? If there is, does anyone know when? Even if Ridley isn't shown, I'd just like to see anything.
Idk. I'm pretty sure they only announce Directs, specific or general merely a few days before they're broadcast. So I doubt we're gonna hear about it too far ahead of time; we just have to wait it out. Like always.

Cool Isaac avatar.
Thanks. It's just Fanart I found in a Google Image search; I wanted something unique. I wish I could draw this well.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Yeah you're right, but it could be taken as a hint that's all I was trying to get across. Sakurai is trying to say, hey canon size doesn't matter here. What's the big thing every Ridley detractor says? "Too big" or "Ridley is big in Metroid so he couldn't be in Smash bros".

No other newcomer has an "issue" with size other than Ridley.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai is aware of the "Too big" argument and was having a bit of fun with those pic of the days.

Of course I could be wrong. My original post was just part of a theory.
Well anything referring to the living room stage can be discounted immediately, because for those to be referring to Ridley, the stage would have to have been included SOLELY for Ridley. Just saiyan :p

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
-u- Aw, don't worry! at least you tried, thank you so much again! :) and everything is helpful!

There's a download link for this, right?
I mean sorry if I'm kinda late for this, my Wii broke down due to excessive Brawl hacking and I just wanted to make sure this was still up

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

There's a download link for this, right?
I mean sorry if I'm kinda late for this, my Wii broke down due to excessive Brawl hacking and I just wanted to make sure this was still up
Ha.....you mean the gif I made of Omega Ridley?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I was tempted to request someone to make a gif out of this clip from Blues Brothers, replacing Jake and Elwood with Ridley and K. Rool, and replacing the term "Illinois Nazis" with "Toobigots", but then I realized just how wrong the idea sounded outside my head.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Roger's base is the one detractor who I want to see wrong, not out of spite, but because he wants Ridley in, but believes he can't be done. And also that video.

Top Bottom