• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Honestly, I would love for Ridley to still be a boss in some forme. I thought of the Meta/Omega Ridley idea myself a few times.

He's also not as blindingly purple?
There needs to be an Indigo Ridley.

The sparkly effects make me think of My Little Ridley: Metroids Are Magic! or something along those lines.
I could post some actually decent MLPxMetroid things here, but I get the feeling they'd get the same reaction as bad ones would.

Y'know, ponies.

Also am I the only one who likes the Other M design? All I see is hate.
I like it as well. Though to be fair, I like even Ridley's American NES concept art (Rodley).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking-- Very traditional slow-boss form that transforms into the more playable form. And he doesn't have to be huge as meta-Ridley or anything, it's not like Master Hand is a gigantic beast.

I don't really know why, but I find visiting the K.Rool thread really boring. Nothing really happens there... I really support the guy though, of course. It's just that seeing musical clips from the cartoon can only entertain me so many times before I move on. :p

Metroid II is actually pretty important to the series since it's where the baby metroid is introduced, but it's never seen a remake. I think it's because it somehow comes off as the least Metroid-y Metroid, since it's more about completing enough sidequests until you can move on instead of pure exploration.
Brawl's Meta-Ridley wasn't really gigantic either. Even smaller than the regular Ridley IIRC.

I guess, or hearing nostalgic music clips from the Rare games so many times, but I've never really found the thread boring. If I have then I've probably felt that way about this one too at times. Recycled discussions and such.

Side quests? Metroid II's just about exterminating Metroids before you can move on to the next area of SR388.. Plain and simple. That said I guess it is less Metroid-y than your average Metroid as far as the formula, but I don't think that's the reason why a remake of it never saw the light of day. It was planned once or twice at least before getting cancelled/put in development hell. But other than that yeah.

Maybe it's just me, but Ridley looks better in this picture then he did in Other M. The beak still looks bad but something about the way they made his model here looks less disjointed and awkward then the original in game model.
I guess, although I still like his wings in Other M more.

You know, once Ridley is confirmed I sure will miss all this hilariously funny posts and meme's people make about Ridley.

But it would be great if he was finally confirmed, just kinda gonna miss all these funny stuff people came up with during the course of his support. :p
Then there will just be memes that he's too bigugly to return in the next game because of the Other M-esque design that was used.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Other M Ridley has serious duckface. It's the worst part about that design. He's also a bit too beefy.

Also, almost all the other things involving Ridley in The Other M were dumb, and it's associated with that.
I could post some actually decent MLPxMetroid things here, but I get the feeling they'd get the same reaction as bad ones would.

Y'know, ponies.
Ridley outweighs ponies.

Cuz, you know... he's bigger.

(Post them.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just put them in a Spoiler if you do post them, so those who don't like them won't be too angry. :p

That doesn't include me, of course. I like them. I'm just looking out for the others.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Brawl's Meta-Ridley wasn't really gigantic either. Even smaller than the regular Ridley IIRC.

I guess, or hearing nostalgic music clips from the Rare games so many times, but I've never really found the thread boring. If I have then I've probably felt that way about this one too at times. Recycled discussions and such.

Side quests? Metroid II's just about exterminating Metroids before you can move on to the next area of SR388.. Plain and simple. That said I guess it is less Metroid-y than your average Metroid as far as the formula, but I don't think that's the reason why a remake of it never saw the light of day. It was planned once or twice at least before getting cancelled/put in development hell. But other than that yeah.

I guess, although I still like his wings in Other M more.

Then there will just be memes that he's too bigugly to return in the next game because of the Other M-esque design that was used.

That's pretty much what I meant by "side quests"-- it's basically as if someone handed you a Wanted list and said "To advance, you must complete X bounties."

To be fair, the entire forum is kind of running stagnant as we all wait for the one bit of potentially interesting info to be released each month. Ohhh well, guess there's nothing to do but make bad Ridley memes...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just put them in a Spoiler if you do post them, so those who don't like them won't be too angry. :p

That doesn't include me, of course. I like them. I'm just looking out for the others.
Pfft, as if those really stop anyone. And I don't care about offending anyone, though I do respect them and their beliefs.

[collapse=Ponies Are a Go]

Reminds me too many fanfics/works. Poor Dashie. Also that size comparison.

Comment there is none.

This is canon in my eyes.

This is a cannon in my eyes.

The expression on Samare's face just makes it perfect.

Quality is quality.

I imagined this working long before finding this image.

And last but not least
[/collapse]

I also found something not pony related that is hilarious, but I'll wait for the right time to post it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I started liking MLP to an extent after checking it out some to see what all the fuss was about, but goddamn. Remember seeing that first picture at least... Pretty good depiction of Zero Mission Ridley.

@ qd: Pretty much.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I was one of the original fans. Didn't care much for the label at the time, nor did preconceptions of "It's a kid's/girls' show" ever bother me.

Suffice to say, I watched it with my sister/niece, and later nephew on TV. I had no idea the show would ever blow up like it did.

On more (or less, considering the drought of interest) pressing matters, I admittedly will miss the movement as well once judgment day is upon us. Win or lose, confirmed or disconfirmed, I've had a blast with the lot of you. It's been a privilege, and all that.

Will this thread become the new social thread if he is confirmed? If not, I got dibs.

Edit:

He's tempting us, guys.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Right now I'm more or less just enjoying being back in the Ridley community after the long break after Brawl's roster leak. If anything I want him confirmed as soon as possible, not only so the detractors will shut up, but also so we can celebrate and over-analyze every picture of him. I hope that day comes as fast as possible. I'm just super excited to see how he looks, because even if he isn't a character he'll still be in the game in some shape, it's pretty much become tradition.

Oh yeah, and this thread keeps getting better, kind of surprised to see fellow pony fans in here. Though I'm the kind of fan that never really dig much fan work (100% canon guy here) that picture with Fluttershy and the Metroid is fantastic.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Didn't say he was dramatically smaller, but yes, Ridley is still smaller.

He may not "seem" smaller to you, but he is. Compare the image earlier in the thread where Ridley prepares to charge a fireball to hit Samus point-blank in Other M to an image where he is doing so in DoA:D, and you'll notice a fair difference.

EDIT: The above comparison of yours is not a good one.
The image from Other M's side makes Ridley look smaller than he actually is in that game.

EDIT2: Or here, let me put it in perspective;
Ryu Hayabusa is shorter than Power Suit Samus by around a foot, yet he is larger in comparison to Samus in Ridley's grasp between the two games.
Even if it's not that drastic of a difference to where someone like you could say he's the same size at first glance, Ridley is smaller in DoA:D.
Is it more likely that they made a special small Ridley for when he is in the background and a normal Ridley for when he is grabbing, or that he is always normal Ridley and you haven't learned that big things get small when they are further away?

I compared the most similar poses that I could find in a brief search. They're plenty fair. If you want to demonstrate that he somehow smaller, though we have no reason to think that he is, then provide a comparison of him against the stage model for both games.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was one of the original fans. Didn't care much for the label at the time, nor did preconceptions of "It's a kid's/girls' show" ever bother me.

Suffice to say, I watched it with my sister/niece, and later nephew on TV. I had no idea the show would ever blow up like it did.
Ismar, the mlp hipster.

Didn't hear about it before it was popular, but I've lost several friends to it's madness. they are dead to me now. (ok, the friendship is witchcraft series on youtube may be hilarious)

You know, once Ridley is confirmed I sure will miss all this hilariously funny posts and meme's people make about Ridley.

But it would be great if he was finally confirmed, just kinda gonna miss all these funny stuff people came up with during the course of his support. :p
Don't be silly. That would just send us into a 'bigger' mematic flurry, and if I ever played as ridley my tag would be '2big'

On more (or less, considering the drought of interest) pressing matters, I admittedly will miss the movement as well once judgment day is upon us. Win or lose, confirmed or disconfirmed, I've had a blast with the lot of you. It's been a privilege, and all that.
Will this thread become the new social thread if he is confirmed? If not, I got dibs.

*single tear

It's been an honor serving with you. It's been a long and bloody battle, and many a friend has been lost over the years. But our new cap'n, Oasis, I'd follow that 'man' to hell and back I would. Or just his animal crossing village, probably just as bad. Once more unto the breach, my friends.

(ps my dibs overrides yours I have slight board seniority : P)

D

Deleted member

Is it more likely that they made a special small Ridley for when he is in the background and a normal Ridley for when he is grabbing, or that he is always normal Ridley and you haven't learned that big things get small when they are further away?

I compared the most similar poses that I could find in a brief search. They're plenty fair. If you want to demonstrate that he somehow smaller, though we have no reason to think that he is, then provide a comparison of him against the stage model for both games.
Is that bit really necessary? :glare:
The stealth insults aren't exactly warranted; I'm on the same side of Ridley support.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Is that bit really necessary? :glare:
The stealth insults aren't exactly warranted; I'm on the same side of Ridley support.
No, you can't just directly say how you feel, it's bad writing, and it makes me angry.

sorry, I'm still like, 12

(although to be fair his was probably an impulsive habit from this thread rather than a specific lash at you)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ironically enough, the first MLPxRidley picture actually has a really good potential Smash Size...

If this doesn't become the Ridley Social thread, I propose that it be called "Ridley's Biggest Thread."

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ironically enough, the first MLPxRidley picture actually has a really good potential Smash Size...

If this doesn't become the Ridley Social thread, I propose that it be called "Ridley's Biggest Thread."
We'd need a looot more posts to break the brawl era ones, lol.
(you can tell I'm at work when I reply to everything here xD)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
There definitely needs to be an event match in the game titled "Too Big!" in which you fight against a Ridley with a permanent Super Mushroom.

Also am I the only one who likes the Other M design? All I see is hate.
Are you sure he has a super mushroom? XD

(overkill..(-_-) but it never gets old...its as funny as PeePz take it serious...

But yh its a f_cked up shame that the legacy/ no the curse of other m will live on and infect Sm4sh....

I mean Samus looks sick in Sm4sh but i would perfer if she kept her brawl look but updated in HD.

Prime 1/2 Look....

Meta Ridley is too awsome for words.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
To be fair, the Brawl era ones became huge spamfests that had to be exterminated. This thread's been pretty good about veering off-topic.

Speaking of veering, who here would play a Metroid Racing game?!

(sounds completely awful, but yes I totally would)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Right now I'm more or less just enjoying being back in the Ridley community after the long break after Brawl's roster leak. If anything I want him confirmed as soon as possible, not only so the detractors will shut up, but also so we can celebrate and over-analyze every picture of him. I hope that day comes as fast as possible. I'm just super excited to see how he looks, because even if he isn't a character he'll still be in the game in some shape, it's pretty much become tradition.

Oh yeah, and this thread keeps getting better, kind of surprised to see fellow pony fans in here. Though I'm the kind of fan that never really dig much fan work (100% canon guy here) that picture with Fluttershy and the Metroid is fantastic.
Question:

1.When did the brawl leak happen? Like how earlt before the game came out?

2. How did you lot know if it was real? How long did it take you PeePz to find out it was real?

EDIT: its been great knowing everyone here reguardless of what goes down the time we all have spent has Big :) and not even a de confirm can take that away from us.

@ IsmaR - what? Whatever happens after reveal or not we still gotta hook up, man theres this sweet fish and chip shop around the corner where i live there pepsi can are 10p off too London style we need to hit there ! RealTalk. The whole box is flooded with Ketchup and salt before the guys asks you what you want on your chips.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
To be fair, the Brawl era ones became huge spamfests that had to be exterminated. This thread's been pretty good about veering off-topic.

... I'd play it.

I'd wanna race as a metroid. just kinda float along. Samus could compete with those speed boot things from the gba games. Kraid could... be a course.

it's too bad ridley'd be too big to get in.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
... I'd play it.

I'd wanna race as a metroid. just kinda float along. Samus could compete with those speed boot things from the gba games. Kraid could... be a course.

it's too bad ridley'd be too big to get in.
Yh...but..Metroid cant crawl and Ridley is too big...so i doubt the roster will be any good...but yh it would be jokes.

LMFAOO at Kraid being a course...he would be MK's version of Rainbow Road.

Ridley could be Figure 8-Circuit remake from MKDS.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

More often than I should, I have imagined chibi versions of Samus, Ridley, Kraid, Mother Brain, Omega Metroid, pretty much anyone that isn't a hunter, racing together in little karts...

D

Deleted member

Ironically, a Metroid spin-off title where Ridley is playable would give more credit to the Bowser comparison, since Ridley would be downscaled for the sake of being playable.

Speaking of which, how big was he in Metroid Prime Pinball?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not that big at all (didn't even take up both screens on the DS unless he was moving downward).

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/3/35/Meta_Ridley.jpg

Though I guess the same can be said for the other bosses in the game ported from Prime 1 that were normally huge like Thardus and Omega Pirate, which didn't come off as that bigger than the common fodder enemies. Suppose that's expected for a pinball game though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
1.When did the brawl leak happen? Like how earlt before the game came out?

2. How did you lot know if it was real? How long did it take you PeePz to find out it was real?
Well, at first the leak was posted in text form on some site. There were two believable leaks, one with the 35 character that are in Brawl, and another with 43 or so character which had Ridley and K. Rool. Of course the majority of us decided the believe in the latter mentioned. I can't remember quite exactly how early it was leaked, maybe a week before the Japanese release? The game was then released in Japan, and gradually we'd get screenshots of newcomers from Subspace Emissary. The deal was finally sealed when R.O.B was unveiled, though many of us had already figured which roster was real when R.O.Bs were seen as standard enemies too, and we put two and two together and everything matched up. Within about 72 hours we had the full roster, including Jiggs, Toon Link and Wolf.

The buzzkill for me was the first screen of Ridley as a boss leaking, I didn't care much for the roster after that to be honest.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yh...but..Metroid cant crawl and Ridley is too big...so i doubt the roster will be any good...but yh it would be jokes.

LMFAOO at Kraid being a course...he would be MK's version of Rainbow Road.

Ridley could be Figure 8-Circuit remake from MKDS.
The stage would end in his mouth. everyone gets eaten. Kraid wins.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well, at first the leak was posted in text form on some site. There were two believable leaks, one with the 35 character that are in Brawl, and another with 43 or so character which had Ridley and K. Rool. Of course the majority of us decided the believe in the latter mentioned. I can't remember quite exactly how early it was leaked, maybe a week before the Japanese release? The game was then released in Japan, and gradually we'd get screenshots of newcomers from Subspace Emissary. The deal was finally sealed when R.O.B was unveiled, though many of us had already figured which roster was real when R.O.Bs were seen as standard enemies too, and we put two and two together and everything matched up. Within about 72 hours we had the full roster, including Jiggs, Toon Link and Wolf.

The buzzkill for me was the first screen of Ridley as a boss leaking, I didn't care much for the roster after that to be honest.
Damn....deep....deep...

Sorry Last Q:

How long after brawl released in Japan to UK/USA?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ismar, the mlp hipster.

Didn't hear about it before it was popular, but I've lost several friends to it's madness. they are dead to me now.
HipsterJack Closer.png

*single tear

(ps my dibs overrides yours I have slight board seniority : P)
To hell with seniority, I'm the Metroid Queen. I eat Ridleys for breakfast.

I don't think we could settle for anything less than "The War is Over - The Ridley Cafe"

@ IsmaR - what? Whatever happens after reveal or not we still gotta hook up, man theres this sweet fish and chip shop around the corner where i live there pepsi can are 10p off too London style we need to hit there ! RealTalk. The whole box is flooded with Ketchup and salt before the guys asks you what you want on your chips.
If only I liked fish. :< Still, the idea is sweet. <3

I would totally main Rundas, or Noxus in Vyoscythe forme.

D

Deleted member

Bringing up that "too scary" excuse we've heard about a month back now, I'm pretty sure next to Giga Bowser, Ridley looks about as scary as Randall Boggs.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I like Ponies! I want to see them!

I posted them here. Click on the spoiler tag.

[collapse=Ponies Are a Go]

Reminds me too many fanfics/works. Poor Dashie. Also that size comparison.

Comment there is none.

This is canon in my eyes.

This is a cannon in my eyes.

The expression on Samare's face just makes it perfect.

Quality is quality.

I imagined this working long before finding this image.

And last but not least
[/collapse]

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I REALLY don't want to scroll through 150 pages to see if this has been addressed, but I'm under the impression that Ridley is the most iconic Nintendo Villain yet to be playable in Smash. Am I wrong?

Know that I'm 100% in support of Ridley. I love him.

Top Bottom