• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Ugh...ow..gahhdd....Other M....what have you done...
Imo the order of how good the prime games are the exact order of when they released.

I hope Metroid U will be as good as Echoes atleast.

Man it could be better than Prime1 ! No matter how sick Prime1 is you can just tell it could have been alot better still there still is a huge room for improvement mainly with bosses and enemies.

I Hope Retro put in as much work and effort than Nintendo do with Zelda...
The main way IMO Prime 1- which I agree is the best Metroid game- could have been improved was through less generic environments. Yeah, they were incredibly beautiful and detailed, and you really felt you were in them, but they weren't quite as unique as say the ones in Corruption. They were still the staple ice/fire worlds of Nintendo, just fleshed out to the extreme. More environments, for example a jungle in a hellish volcanic area, or a dry canyon filled desert with occasional superstorms, would be a cool way to improve the series.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The main way IMO Prime 1- which I agree is the best Metroid game- could have been improved was through less generic environments. Yeah, they were incredibly beautiful and detailed, and you really felt you were in them, but they weren't quite as unique as say the ones in Corruption. They were still the staple ice/fire worlds of Nintendo, just fleshed out to the extreme. More environments, for example a jungle in a hellish volcanic area, or a dry canyon filled desert with occasional superstorms, would be a cool way to improve the series.
A full HD 3D battle with Kraid would sky rocket in awsomeness - no disrespect to Omega Pirate he was a frigging awsome boss one of the best 2nd best actually and Thardus was damn sick too.

Ahh man they could do some damn sick stuff with Sylux he has massive potential and could easily be better Villian than Dark Samus (not that DS was bad.

I could see a quick awsome ship chase battle against Sylux were he tries to escape you chase him in his ship you blow it up! Then a epic battle!

Alt mode fights but OWWW damn the Lockjaw is such a BEAST!!! Sylux looks so sick to and Weavel could be a suprise boss because he has history with Samus too.

Maybe Sylux/Weavel segment With Ridley?

Weavel is a Elite Space pirate is he along with Ridley?

They dont need the other hunters...if they bring them all back it wont be good imo...it will feel rushed and too much going on to build any depth or real emotion to what is going on.

Sylux & Weavel is perfect.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'd also be interested in more of a true bounty hunter aspect for Samus- being hired by someone to find some super evil guy, having to search through lots of alien worlds killing monsters all the way, and then a super epic boss fight after finally finding him. After all, Samus does need to make money somehow, and it always seems like she does everything for free, which makes her seem like a little too much of a knight in shining armor type. While I hate the way Other M did it, giving Samus a bit more personality is a pretty good idea, since her title of Bounty Hunter really conflicts with all the games so far.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm gonna have to disagree there. For a first game I think it was important that they lend elements from Super Metroid that are easily recognizable to get the Metroid feel. It was a whole new perspective for the franchise, not to mention a new dimension all together, and them already taking risks by adding different visors and beam changing they needed to at least play something safe, which would be the environments. Tallon Overworld is obviously based off of Upper Brinstar and a little of Maridia in the underwater environments, Magmoor Caverns is obviously based off of Lower Norfair, and even then Chozo Ruins and Phendrana Drifts were new kind of environments for the franchise that it hadn't had before. One of the things that makes Prime 1 lightyears better than its sequels were the zones imo, because of the variation of them and how they actually felt like Metroid. Part of the enormous praise that Prime 1 receives is that it made the transition from 2D to 3D and from Sidescroller to 1st Person View so flawlessly, and I feel that a big part of that comes from the zones. Yes, they are very simple and generic, but that's what Metroid zones are, and I feel that for the first game in the trilogy it was necessary for them to keep that, they could then create new kinds of zones and experiment with them in the sequels, which they did, but none of those zones really stood out to me to be honest, and that's also one of the reasons I don't really fancy Prime 2 or 3 very much.

As for the Hunters, it was a decent idea, but the game itself felt so incredibly awkward to play because of the DS' control limitations and having to use the stylus, that I feel like it's possibly the worst Metroid game to see the light of day (because heck, at least the Pinball game managed to be a Pinball game, and Other M at least had good gameplay.) I personally don't care much for the Hunters at all, and I'd rather that they're just kept out of the way, especially now that the Prime series are over.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Ahh, happy to be among Prime 1 fans. It's funny how 2 of my favorite games of all time, prime one and melee, are on the gamecube. I'm hoping Sm4sh and whatever new prime game retro pulls off will take the series' to new heights.

A prime game, in the style of Prime one, but new environments, in HD, and ship controls/scanning/the map on the second screen? With online multiplayer, as different hunters, like in prime hunters?

I would die of a fangasm, pure and simple.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'd like it if they expand on the hunters Personally. I think they made some cool characters, that just passed by in only one game.
I feel similarly about Zelda because they make so many new villains nowadays, but then just make a new one. Or use Ganondorf, which is fine by me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just wanted to ask...has anyone here played Ridley in Crusade, and if so, is he any good? Would you like the official moveset to take ideas from it?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to disagree there. For a first game I think it was important that they lend elements from Super Metroid that are easily recognizable to get the Metroid feel. It was a whole new perspective for the franchise, not to mention a new dimension all together, and them already taking risks by adding different visors and beam changing they needed to at least play something safe, which would be the environments. Tallon Overworld is obviously based off of Upper Brinstar and a little of Maridia in the underwater environments, Magmoor Caverns is obviously based off of Lower Norfair, and even then Chozo Ruins and Phendrana Drifts were new kind of environments for the franchise that it hadn't had before. One of the things that makes Prime 1 lightyears better than its sequels were the zones imo, because of the variation of them and how they actually felt like Metroid. Part of the enormous praise that Prime 1 receives is that it made the transition from 2D to 3D and from Sidescroller to 1st Person View so flawlessly, and I feel that a big part of that comes from the zones. Yes, they are very simple and generic, but that's what Metroid zones are, and I feel that for the first game in the trilogy it was necessary for them to keep that, they could then create new kinds of zones and experiment with them in the sequels, which they did, but none of those zones really stood out to me to be honest, and that's also one of the reasons I don't really fancy Prime 2 or 3 very much.

As for the Hunters, it was a decent idea, but the game itself felt so incredibly awkward to play because of the DS' control limitations and having to use the stylus, that I feel like it's possibly the worst Metroid game to see the light of day (because heck, at least the Pinball game managed to be a Pinball game, and Other M at least had good gameplay.) I personally don't care much for the Hunters at all, and I'd rather that they're just kept out of the way, especially now that the Prime series are over.
Retro did say that the direction they are thinking of taking in Metroid U is expanding on planets visiting different planets like you did in hunters and Prime 3.

Which imo is great but it did feel really awsome doing everything by foot in Prime 1 & 2 really made the world feel big and like ''this world is huge now get around''

Traveling back and forth was long but if you loved the game it didnt matter.

Retro also said they were thinking about bringing the hunters back.

Now with Hunters i agree the story mode was terrible..the same two bosses over and over again...that pillar boss and thay big floating ball...it was bad...but the enviroments and grapichs for its time and for a DS game were great imo.

Also hunters were mostly known for its multiplayer which was awsome!! I played it for little over 2 years! But was extremely laggy and buggy...(-_-)

and the only hunters that really stood out and have potential imo are Sylux for sure and Weavel.

The others were cool too.

Im not saying give us MPH HD im saying give us Prime 1 with Sylux.

You cant say that wouldnt be sick...the whole Phazon thing is done brining back dark samus is a bad move imo prime series is great! But its done lets move on and i see Sylux has great potential.

I really like how you express your feelings about the Prime series i totally agree with you 100/ i feel the same.

But what do you think should be the direction Metroid U takes?

PS: im saying keep it like prime 1 add more bosses they wasent enough..make em cool and harder, have a very hard mode when you start the game up for the first time.
Ofc bigger and more detailed places and my biggest point the main Villian Sylux with Weavel popping up making you wonder wtf is going on and why? Are they working together and throw Ridley in there as a twist maybe blackmailing weavel or something? XD kraid too and my dayz i will *** bucket loads.

For anyone who was gonna ask for proof about what Retro said the link is below.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

Its SOOO great to know that most of team probaly the main guys that worked on the Prime series are still around thats very good news.

No one can do Metroid like Retro - Its a shame...but true.

With the whole MPH WiiU expanded online multiplayer thing i have had manyyy thoughts on how awsome it would be but i would end up typing a a sheet load and i rather not on my phone..with laggy internet and a million spelling mistakes....its too long to get into about that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
For anyone who was gonna ask for proof about what Retro said the link is below.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-nintendo-retro-discuss-future-of-metroid

Its SOOO great to know that most of team probaly the main guys that worked on the Prime series are still around thats very good news.

No one can do Metroid like Retro - Its a shame...but true.

With the whole MPH WiiU expanded online multiplayer thing i have had manyyy thoughts on how awsome it would be but i would end up typing a a sheet load and i rather not on my phone..with laggy internet and a million spelling mistakes....its too long to get into about that.
Having upgraded from a flip phone to a smart phone about 4 days ago, I now sympathize with this sentiment for the first time.

I could also probably compile a lengthy document on the awesomeness of a new metroid : D

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Having upgraded from a flip phone to a smart phone about 4 days ago, I now sympathize with this sentiment for the first time.

I could also probably compile a lengthy document on the awesomeness of a new metroid : D
My internet is actually fine its where my room is positioned in my house to were the router is...its got the worse connection...also im using dolphin browser while it is very convienent in terms of how your bookmarks are set up xD its real simple and nice but it can be spastic at times expecially at night and thats when i post the most...so yh all those things is why i sound ******** :) and some othee stuff loool.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman

I agree with you that the environments of Prime 1 were perfect. I was replying to Dark Phazon in how the next Metroid could act as an improved sequel. In the first Prime, it was necessary to do the more generic areas to get Metroid fans more familiarized with the 3D, but in the sequels it was also necessary to now go for more unique ones, which they did, though most lacked a lot of the sheer atmosphere of the first Prime (except Skytown in Corruption, the only environment in Metroid IMO to match Phendranda). So basically, lots of interesting, distinct environments, but with all the care and detail of Prime 1, with many different planets each rivaling Tallon IV in terms of zones and content, and you will get the most awesome Metroid in terms of its region ever created.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
In my opinion, Metroid Prime 1 > Corruption > Echoes

The fetch quest in Echoes was quite annoying. Perhaps unfairly, Corruption gets the edge partly because of the Wii - motion control for aiming, better graphics. Even accounting for system power, I think Corruption had the best art direction. Skytown was beautiful.

It's kinda hard compare the Prime games with Super Metroid. The gameplay is very different, and the SNES obviously has a lot less power.

I think Super Metroid is one of the tightest games ever made, personally. It has great, tight controls (I only wish that wall jumping was a little more forgiving), it is paced well, it doesn't feel like there's much of any filler. The music is great and the graphics were awesome for the time. It's much shorter than Prime, but I don't think it would be right to mark it down for that. Sometimes less is more.

Which is why it's very hard for me to say whether Prime is better than it or not.

Anyway, in my opinion:

Super Metroid = Metroid Prime > Metroid Prime 3: Corruption > Metroid Prime 2: Echoes > Metroid: Zero Mission > Metroid: The Other M > Metroid Fusion > Metroid

Haven't played Metroid 2, Hunters or Metroid Pinball. I rate The Other M higher than Fusion because while there were more things that annoyed me about The Other M, but I also thought the high points were better than Fusion's.

Anyway, to bring it back on topic: Ummmm... something about what the next Metroid on the Wii U will be like. And also what they can do with Ridley in it.

I also think it would be cool if they made another 2D Metroid on the 3DS. They should try to surpass Symphony of the Night in Metroidvania awesomeness.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Well seeing as how Ridley came back in Super Metroid after exploding and dying in Corruption, I'm sure they can think of another reason for him to come back again with less Meta and more Ridley.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
My internet is actually fine its where my room is positioned in my house to were the router is...its got the worse connection...also im using dolphin browser while it is very convienent in terms of how your bookmarks are set up xD its real simple and nice but it can be spastic at times expecially at night and thats when i post the most...so yh all those things is why i sound ******** :) and some othee stuff loool.
haha I went from probably the oldest phone possible to the newest (galazy S4 : D) . I've never used a touch screen to type before, and on top of that its some weird slide system to help you type faster that autocorrects as you go, and I usually hate autocorrects. that and accidentally hitting the home button every 10 seconds makes it an experience to get used to haha.

at least I don't have to worry about the net, I got some 4G thing, whatever that means.

D

Deleted member

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It occurs to me that while I have acquiesced to the point that Ridley's original appearance in Metroid (NES) isn't relevant to the size debate, I really shouldn't be conceding that.

Why? Because **** tons of things in video games (and other serial forms of media, like TV shows and comic books, etc.) get created because of technical limitations, legal issues, get shoehorned in by people other than the primary creators, or are created by accident, and then become canonized.

Peach's moves inspired by Super Mario Bros 2? That wasn't originally meant to be Peach. Yet they're now her moves in canon. Other characters from that game are now firmly Mario characters despite not originating that way.

Kirby was meant as a placeholder.

Donkey Kong and Jumpman were meant to be Popeye and Bluto, and then Donkey Kong is obviously supposed to be King Kong.

Lara Croft's gigantic bosom was created by accident.

The way the aliens speed up in Space Invaders came into existence because the processor was too slow - their movement becomes faster because fewer ships require less processing.

Pac-Man was originally intended to be a pizza missing a slice, not a yellow ball-man thing.

Ermac from Mortal Kombat's name is actually short for "error macro." He was a glitch that was converted into a full character in Mortal Kombat 3.

Of course, the designers all chose to go with these things.

Ridley's size in Metroid was due to technical limitations, yes. It is LESS relevant (being but one appearance), but it's a perfectly valid inspiration for Sakurai to use if he chooses to. If Sakurai said "Ridley is a bit smaller in this iteration, but he wasn't very big in the original Metroid" who's gonna tell him he's wrong?

Ok, probably Mr Lange. But still. It's a perfectly acceptable justification for just making Ridley whatever size works.

That said, I have become a little bit less certain about his inclusion (not that I was firmly convinced in the first place). I think he can work if Sakurai wants him to work. We don't have very much info on what Sakurai's thoughts about him are (and I agree that the interview where he said Ridley would be difficult to create is a negative) so we don't know why he doesn't think Ridley would be easy to incorporate, whether this is a situation like Villager, etc. But he's very much possible and popular. While Sakurai is surely not reading Smash Forums, they are interested in who is wanted by the fans and have done research into it. It would not be difficult to figure out that many Metroid fans want Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think this is basically reiterating a point you were making Erimir, but I agree that while NES Ridley's size isn't that important to the size discussion/joke, it would make a fine reference point for Sakurai to use. He just has to be bigger than Samus, beyond that it's pretty arbitrary, so referencing some actual source material would be neat. Completely unnecessary, but still.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think this is basically reiterating a point you were making Erimir, but I agree that while NES Ridley's size isn't that important to the size discussion/joke, it would make a fine reference point for Sakurai to use. He just has to be bigger than Samus, beyond that it's pretty arbitrary, so referencing some actual source material would be neat. Completely unnecessary, but still.
Yh but something i was thinking about its kinda weired.

Its all good n dandy to have villians bigger than there main game hero but isnt it abit weired if like say.

Example: made kirby abit smaller better compensate his size for DDD for some reason i dunno it maybe to pave way for a new biggest char but now Olimar is bigger than Kirby when he wasent in brawl?

I mean...its kinda weired but intresting...does it matter? I mean it is pretty weired and stupid!

Basicly adjusting chars sizes from there own seriew but how it effects everyone all together...like the Tallest Samus and shortest Ganondorf together it would look...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So after a full day of practically nothing but EVO EVO EVO EVO EVO...

...I dream about Ridley getting into Smash.

...or to be precise... "Transmetal Ridley". That's right, Ridley reveals himself to have the traits of a Beast Wars Transformer. Not Meta-Ridley, but Transmetal Ridley.

...o_O

Also, last time I dreamed about Ridley being in Smash, he didn't get in... :(

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Looks like this thread has pretty much gone back to dead zone...but its cool...i guess were just waiting for a reveal or de-confirm (-_-) or a TOO BiGgER to show up.

Guess which one will come first?

EDIT: Peace im out i be back in a hour or so.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So after a full day of practically nothing but EVO EVO EVO EVO EVO...

...I dream about Ridley getting into Smash.
I'm in the same boat, actually. But I dreamt that Falco was revealed. Being in the crowd is better than actually playing.

EDIT: Ughh...ohh no...i thought you was Ismar.....
My indigo-knock-off isn't as noticeable I admit, but I'd never be caught dead using some lowly purple font color!

And I admit I giggled and even blushed a little at that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Looks like this thread has pretty much gone back to dead zone...but its cool...i guess were just waiting for a reveal or de-confirm (-_-) or a TOO BiGgER to show up.

Guess which one will come first?

EDIT: Peace im out i be back in a hour or so.
well, it's better that than a battleground.

and don't hold your breath, I'm betting on Ridley being a secret character.

And even if he isn't we're probably not going to get any NEW characters until at least next year. They have plenty of vets to 'reveal' until then.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ok so i know this is abit Cheesy so hear me out because im intrested to see what you PeePz Think.

Forget that the below pic is s poor ancient rumor or so....blaa blaa

Lets get to the point my point and what matters.

Ok although its kinda hard to say because the Pic is small etc but it is pretty detailed and well done imo plus it does seems like a hybrid/smash mash up variation of Super metroid Ridley or Other M?

Imo its pretty much perfect although maybe its abit Small? But we cant really say because its just a pic....but i wanna basicly know you PeePz thoughts on this Ridley being chosen as Playable because me personally i approve.

2n0m3aq.jpg

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Had a dream last night where Ridley appears in a new CG trailer.

The trailer confirmed Jin Kazama from Tekken and at the end Ridley appears and the trailer cuts off before Devil Jin gets mauled by Ridley. :awesome::laugh:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm in the same boat, actually. But I dreamt that Falco was revealed. Being in the crowd is better than actually playing.

My indigo-knock-off isn't as noticeable I admit, but I'd never be caught dead using some lowly purple font color!

And I admit I giggled and even blushed a little at that.
Hehehe (im getting there :)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ok so i know this is abit Cheesy so hear me out because im intrested to see what you PeePz Think.

Forget that the below pic is s poor ancient rumor or so....blaa blaa

Lets get to the point my point and what matters.

Ok although its kinda hard to say because the Pic is small etc but it is pretty detailed and well done imo plus it does seems like a hybrid/smash mash up variation of Super metroid Ridley or Other M?

Imo its pretty much perfect although maybe its abit Small? But we cant really say because its just a pic....but i wanna basicly know you PeePz thoughts on this Ridley being chosen as Playable because me personally i approve.

View attachment 1443
I dig it, my only gripe with the Other M design is really the upper jaw, and the tail too, but the tail is no big deal. I do however agree with legendofrob, but that's mostly because the Brawl Ridley with other proportions would have been perfect.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice

Groose

Smash Champion
This is how I feel Ridley should be revealed for Sm4sh to achieve maximum hype:

Samus is fighting Mario on the new Boxing Ring stage. As they fight, you keep seeing flashes of purple in the background and foreground. All of the hardcore Ridley fans will be freaking out by this point, as they know what's coming. After a few seconds, Samus defeats Mario, sending him flying off the cliff. Then, there's another big flash of purple and Samus is hit from behind by... WALUIGI. As Waluigi defeats Samus, the trailer flashes to Waluigi's intro screen, which says:

Expecting Ridley? Too bad, WALUIGI TIME!

As all of the Ridley fans start crying, Waluigi starts his victory dance. Suddenly, he is tapped on the shoulder by a big, scaly claw, turns around and sees Charizard Ridley in all his glory. Ridley's intro is titled: Ridley's Big Arrival.

Top Bottom