• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, no matter what now, Ridley will no longer be the oddest character in Smash.

Look at Olimar! Just...look at him! He's so horribly unbelievable as a character, it's not even funny.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
well i'm biased towards Dream Team so I say Dream Team (lucky English *******s get it a month before us :mad: ) also DKCR 3D I think is a remake of the Wii one so why not just get Wii one?
STFU we always get **** last and miss out on bare sheet what you chattin?

XD Bull* RealTalk.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, no matter what now, Ridley will no longer be the oddest character in Smash.

Look at Olimar! Just...look at him! He's so horribly unbelievable as a character, it's not even funny.
I know right, he doesn't even hold his own whistle.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Kid Icarus Uprising

Do you have Returns on your Wii ?

If yes, Mario & Luigi Dream team.
If not, DKCR 3D.
I do not have a Wii and im not so sure about getting a new series...even though i heard nothing but good from uprising .

ima just get Metroid Zero Mission for £20 of Amazon because Ninty are ****ing ****tards and wont release it on VC ****ERS !!!

EDIT: Can you actually believe that Original Metroid is coming to WiiU VC.....LOOOOOL how gay is that? Seriously...wow...speechless...

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I still think that Olimar is more believable that some other character like the Wii Fit Trainer, Mr Game&Watch and ROB, at least Olimar does fight a little and command an army.
The only thing against him was his size, problem that Sakurai have already shown us is not a problem for a character.

I do not have a Wii and im not so sure about getting a new series...even though i heard nothing but good from uprising .

ima just get Metroid Zero Mission for £20 of Amazon because Ninty are ****ing ****tards and wont release it on VC ****ERS !!!

EDIT: Can you actually believe that Original Metroid is coming to WiiU VC.....LOOOOOL how gay is that? Seriously...wow...speechless...
I comprehend about the new series fear, it take 12 years for me to try a Metroid game.

Seriously the original metroid again ? That's the worst of the series but it's the one who is available everywhere XD

And yeah I definitly don't comprehend why the gameboy advance games are not available on the 3DS. They already shown us that it was possible with the ambassador program, that's really stupid when you know how many good game where available on the game boy advance.

But you know what is also a shame ?
No frea*ing Pokemon 1st and 2nd generation when they are gameboy color game !

Edit: Double post sorry -_-'
I would have swear that I have seen a post between this one and the previous one.

Reznor

work in progress
I comprehend about the new series fear, it take 12 years for me to try a Metroid game.

Seriously the original metroid again ? That's the worst of the series but it's the one who is available everywhere XD

And yeah I definitly don't comprehend why the gameboy advance games are not available on the 3DS. They already shown us that it was possible with the ambassador program, that's really stupid when you know how many good game where available on the game boy advance.

I would have swear that I have seen a post between this one and the previous one.
pretty sure Other M is the worst Metroid game :bubblebobble:
you will never get gameboy advance games they all belong to us ambassadors :wario:

I do agree we need Pokemon on the virtual console hell i'd even be ok with 3rd gen

STFU we always get **** last and miss out on bare sheet what you chattin?

XD Bull* RealTalk.
I bet we get Smash 4 before you :smirk:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
you will never get gameboy advance games they all belong to us ambassadors :wario:

I do agree we need Pokemon on the virtual console hell i'd even be ok with 3rd gen
Other M had a horrible story and the worst way to get new abilities so far but the gameplay is pretty good, the music is okay even if not that memorable and some boss fights were really good (I actually like this game Ridley's battle to the one in Zero Mission and Prime 3). So yeah better than the original in my book, but then again it's maybe because I didn't grow up with it.

I'm also an ambassador,I get my 3DS for 150 euro WITH the ambassodor program actually =p

And yeah I forgot that the gen 3 was on the gameboy advance (I still have to play it someday).

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Working on a Ridley moveset right now. I'll be ready to post specials and stats tonight, and his normals will come in part two. He's more based off Meta Ridley than normal Ridley, since I'm an extreme Prime fan.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Working on a Ridley moveset right now. I'll be ready to post specials and stats tonight, and his normals will come in part two. He's more based off Meta Ridley than normal Ridley, since I'm an extreme Prime fan.
I will definitly not complain since I like Meta-Ridley more than normal Ridley.
Can't wait to see what you can do with it !

Anyone know if there is a Meta-Ridley moveset somewhere ?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While I prefer normal Ridley there's just no denying that the Meta-Ridley battle in Prime 1 is by far the best Ridley battle, at least in my opinion. An absolutely marvelous boss battle.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Oh, I see thank you very much for the information and the link.
I know what I'm going to do tonight, READ ALL THE MOVESETS ^^

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I think because you wont be able to trade and battle and communication is the driving force of PKMN pkus R/B & G/S were remade so its understandable.

They said GBA & N64 Games will come to WiiU...

I wanna play paper mario 64 & GC again damn it !!!!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Pretty sure its gameplay doesn't make it even less playable than the NES Metroid. Not like Other M makes you start out with thirty something health, a power beam that doesn't even fire all the way across the screen, or lava/acid pits that are nearly impossible to get out of once you fall in.

That said, it is kinda ridiculous how much they're re-releasing the original Metroid on platforms compared to other games in the series. Guess the 3DS VC was lucky to even have Fusion.

While I prefer normal Ridley there's just no denying that the Meta-Ridley battle in Prime 1 is by far the best Ridley battle, at least in my opinion. An absolutely marvelous boss battle.
It was... The Artifact Temple with Tallon Overworld's background and the constant rain made it a great place to fight him on. Same with in the Metroid Prime Pinball game, which he was surprisingly the hardest in, instead of one of the easiest bosses like in Prime 1. Stupid Boost Ball glitch and stuff.

But ignoring the duck face and cutscene right before it that everyone hates, I still have to say that his Other M fight was like the best as far as being both a challenging and intense boss battle. The kind of Ridley fight I always wanted where he wasn't robotic/cybernetic/Phazon-y.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It was... The Artifact Temple with Tallon Overworld's background and the constant rain made it a great place to fight him on. Same with in the Metroid Prime Pinball game, which he was surprisingly the hardest in, instead of one of the easiest bosses like in Prime 1. Stupid Boost Ball glitch and stuff.

But ignoring the duck face and cutscene right before it that everyone hates, I still have to say that his Other M fight was like the best as far as being both a challenging and intense boss battle. The kind of Ridley fight I always wanted where he wasn't robotic/cybernetic/Phazon-y.
As much as I don't like Other M I gotta admit that Ridley's fight was pretty damn great. It's at least a contender for 2nd best Ridley fight, facing off against Omega Ridley for that spot.

Also, I own the PAL version of the game, and the fight is supposedly different in that it's harder or something, one thing I know for certain is that the Boost Ball glitch doesn't work though, which I don't mind.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
My Judgment is abit biased because i have only played the Prime Series but i think Meta Ridley is the best mainly Prime 1. He just looks TOOOOO god damn fricking sick! My days how he brakes that crane/structure at the start of the game seriously damnnn too sick speechless...

I love the original Ridley too! I got nothing against him at all just me personal prefrence.

Man...i Badly wanna play Zero Mission & Super Metroid...so badly....Ugh....

images.jpeg

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
As much as I don't like Other M I gotta admit that Ridley's fight was pretty damn great. It's at least a contender for 2nd best Ridley fight, facing off against Omega Ridley for that spot.

Also, I own the PAL version of the game, and the fight is supposedly different in that it's harder or something, one thing I know for certain is that the Boost Ball glitch doesn't work though, which I don't mind.
Both PAL and the Trilogy version (which I have) fixed the Boost Ball glitch and added an attack where he jumps up and down releasing fiery shock waves.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
IIRC, the Trilogy version also doesn't have that glitch and also had the expanded moveset he had in the PAL version. So it's definitely harder there too.

I definitely agree about Other M Ridley's fight being among his best (if not, the best). It's creative in using his classic moves, very high paced, has great music and just is a lot of fun to play. It's definitely my favorite boss in that game.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Meta Ridley Moveset Part 1:

Stats:
Weight:5/10
Size: Too Big :troll:11/10
Fall Speed:5/10
Traction:8/10
Aerial Jumps:3
Aerial Mobility:8/10
Walk:4/10
Dash:7/10
Ridley is the biggest character in the game. Even in his hunched over idle, he is the same height as Bowser, and slightly longer than Charizard. When stretched out in the air or his swiftly flying dash, he can make for a fearsome sight. Even his slow, deliberate, quadrupedal walk is very long, if not tall. He's surprisingly light, however, thanks to his thinness. Despite his metal frame, his wings slow him down to an average fall speed, give him considerable mobility, and cause his three aerial jumps to each have a significant height gain compared to other multi-jumpers. His claws dig in to the ground, so he slides very little. He can glide (as explained later), can't crawl, just like Metroid :troll:, and wall cling but not wall jump- he can only stall, and not gain height.

Specials:
Neutral: Kinetic Breath Weapon
If B is tapped, Ridley will shoot a plasma fireball for about 2/3 of Final Destination with little lag, dealing 4% and low knockback. This fireball can be aimed either straight forward, diagonally up, or diagonally down. If B is held, he will instead release a steady beam of plasma that can be aimed and moved between the the same angles as the fireball. Picture Bowser's flame breath with the range of ROB's laser. This deals 1% per hit, though it multi hits at a high rate, and very light upward KB. Both moves can be performed while gliding, with only one difference: the range of angles is lowered down, so that he can fire straight ahead, directly below, and anywhere in between.
This move is extremely versatile. The fireballs are his fastest projectile, useful to spam the opponent to rack up damage and heavily annoy them, as well as stun them just long enough to continue his combo or tech chase. From a glide, he can rain hell down upon the enemy as he swoops past, or he can cover approaches with ease, distracting them as he swoops in for an attack. The beam is too slow for spamming or most comboing, but it fills up space, making it a useful tool to rake through the air to increase stage control or even edge guard. It will knock them up, which might actually give some more hope to the opponent of their chances of recovery... Until they realize the upward knockback is knocking them right into the grasp of Ridley. It's delightful to screw with their minds like that. Laugh as their corpses float down into the abyss.
The held version also can be useful for shield pressure, particularly out of a glide. The multiple hits will lock them in place long enough to reach and grab them.

Side: Corsair Claw (inspired by qdMp)
Ridley does a short swoop forward before initiating his glide. If he contacts the opponent in the initial swoop, he will grab them and carry them along on his flight. If he is near either a floor, wall, or ceiling, he can drag the opponent along it by holding towards the wall, stunning them and dealing 1% for every stage builder block worth of distance. The victim can escape this after a while by teching, though this is not very advisable, as Ridley has some of, if not the, most deadly techchasing in the game, as explained in Part Two. If the opponent does tech while getting dragged along the ground, Ridley will land, setting up for several of his grounded moves. By hitting a and a direction, he can do four different throws- a downward dive, useful for suicides as well as the 7% and high vertical KB from connecting with the ground, an upward 4% toss for juggling at low %s, and a forward or backward throw for 4% leading into short horizontal combos offstage.
If he does not connect with the grab, he'll enter his glide, which works similarly to P:M. It can be canceled into most of his specials, his aerials, and his jump. However, after he finishes jumping, he'll immediately resume glide again, drastically increasing the distance he can recover. Glide can be ended by inputting side b again, and whatever side is inputted will be the direction he faces. He isn't left helpless, though he can't glide again after one use. The glide is his main form of mobility: Ridley will be constantly flying around the stage, harassing the opponent from above with his projectiles and staying just out of reach. He can approach, run away, combo, tech chase, and recover with it.

Down: Meson Bomb Launcher
Ridley drops a small yellow bomb onto the ground, with roughly the same startup and end lag as Snake's nades. Only two can exist at a time. If performed in the air or while gliding, the bomb will explode for 5% and high diagonal KB in a blast radius of two Olimars upon hitting the ground or an enemy. It's perfect for dive bombing an enemy, or KOing recoverers. While it falls slowly enough to be easily shielded, it can take a hefty chunk off of a shield, a particularly viable strategy after wearing it down with an gliding plasma beam. If performed on the ground,it will lie on the the ground for ~2 seconds before detonating. The stage control and tech-chasing aspects should be rather obvious. Unlike nades, it has a 80% chance of exploding if an opponent picks it up, and a 10% chance if Ridley does. If they do pick it up successfully however, it can be a powerful tool with its range and power, making it very tempting. Lure the opponent with it, and then fireball them to explode it even if they do get it. A good Ridley is a sadistic Ridley.

Up: Multi-Missile System
Ridley does not have an up special recovery- his glide and great jumps are more than enough. Instead, he hovers in place for a moment as he launches 3-5 missiles at slightly differing angles into the air. The number of missiles depends on the time since he last performed the move. The animation is much slower than his other projectiles, but for good reason. The missiles pause in the air for a moment before launching one by one at the current location of the nearest enemy. Each hits for 3% and low knockback. Note that the move automatically clanks, and will cancel his glide completely.
This is mainly used to control the opponent's actions, or cover his recovery. Due to the homing, they are forced to either shield, clank with them, or run to avoid them, as there are too many to dodge. Each can be punished by Ridley if he predicts it or reacts fast enough. The main weakness of this is the startup, as any opponent will hit Ridley before he can send out his weapons if he is too close or predictable.

Eric the Lone

Smash Journeyman
Dang, I just realized. Your Ridley has all this AND a 7/10 dash. That's a frightening thought. Look forward to seeing the normal attacks.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
DKCR 3D or M&L Dream Team?

Which one? Thinking of getting a 3DS game.

I love the Saga series but Dream Team doesnt look that great..advice?
Dream team all the way. not even a question. The game is a lot longer, more depth, even some humor.

Well, really, it's platformer vs rpg. whichever you like better. DKC is a great platformer.

Yeah, Olimar does actually look bigger than before. Some form of nerf?

AND YEAH BASKET. THAT'S RIGHT. NOW THERE IS NO REASON FOR YOU TO EVER VISIT MY TOWN EVER.

Well, I mean, if you dont want me to then >.>

(cries)

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
area area
Meta Ridley Moveset Part 1:

Stats:
Weight:6/10
Size: Too Big :troll:11/10
Fall Speed:5/10
Traction:8/10
Jumps:3
Aerial Mobility:8/10
Walk:4/10
Dash:7/10
Ridley is the biggest character in the game. Even in his hunched over idle, he is the same height as Bowser, and slightly longer than Charizard. When stretched out in the air or his swiftly flying dash, he can make for a fearsome sight. Even his slow, deliberate, quadrupedal walk is very long, if not tall. He's surprisingly light, however, thanks to his thinness. Despite his metal frame, his wings slow him down to an average fall speed, give him considerable mobility, and cause his three jumps to each have a significant height gain compared to other multi-jumpers. His claws dig in to the ground, so he slides very little. He can glide (as explained later), can't crawl, just like Metroid :troll:, and wall cling but not wall jump- he can only stall, and not gain height.

Specials:
Neutral: Kinetic Breath Weapon
If B is tapped, Ridley will shoot a plasma fireball for about 2/3 of Final Destination with little lag, dealing 4% and low knockback. This fireball can be aimed either straight forward, diagonally up, or diagonally down. If B is held, he will instead release a steady beam of plasma that can be aimed and moved between the the same angles as the fireball. Picture Bowser's flame breath with the range of ROB's laser. This deals 1% per hit, though it multi hits at a high rate, and very light upward KB. Both moves can be performed while gliding, with only one difference: the range of angles is lowered down, so that he can fire straight ahead, directly below, and anywhere in between.
This move is extremely versatile. The fireballs are his fastest projectile, useful to spam the opponent to rack up damage and heavily annoy them, as well as stun them just long enough to continue his combo or tech chase. From a glide, he can rain hell down upon the enemy as he swoops past, or he can cover approaches with ease, distracting them as he swoops in for an attack. The beam is too slow for spamming or most comboing, but it fills up space, making it a useful tool to rake through the air to increase stage control or even edge guard. It will knock them up, which might actually give some more hope to the opponent of their chances of recovery... Until they realize the upward knockback is knocking them right into the grasp of Ridley. It's delightful to screw with their minds like that. Laugh as their corpses float down into the abyss.
The held version also can be useful for shield pressure, particularly out of a glide. The multiple hits will lock them in place long enough to reach and grab them.

Side: Corsair Claw (inspired by qdMp)
Ridley does a short swoop forward before initiating his glide. If he contacts the opponent in the initial swoop, he will grab them and carry them along on his flight. If he is near either a floor, wall, or ceiling, he can drag the opponent along it by holding towards the wall, stunning them and dealing 1% for every stage builder block worth of distance. The victim can escape this after a while by teching, though this is not very advisable, as Ridley has some of, if not the, most deadly techchasing in the game, as explained in Part Two. By hitting a and a direction, he can do four different throws- a downward dive, useful for suicides as well as the 7% and high vertical KB from connecting with the ground, an upward 4% toss for juggling at low %s, and a forward or backward throw for 4% leading into short horizontal combos offstage.
If he does not connect with the grab, he'll enter his glide, which works similarly to P:M. It can be canceled into most of his specials, his aerials, and his jump. However, after he finishes jumping, he'll immediately resume glide again, drastically increasing the distance he can recover. Glide can be ended by inputting side b again, and whatever side is inputted will be the direction he faces. He isn't left helpless, though he can't glide again after one use. The glide is his main form of mobility: Ridley will be constantly flying around the stage, harassing the opponent from above with his projectiles and staying just out of reach. He can approach, run away, combo, tech chase, and recover with it.

Down: Meson Bomb Launcher
Ridley drops a small yellow bomb onto the ground, with roughly the same startup and end lag as Snake's nades. Only two can exist at a time. If performed in the air or while gliding, the bomb will explode for 5% and decent diagonal KB in a blast radius of two Olimars upon hitting the ground or an enemy. It's perfect for dive bombing an enemy, or KOing recoverers. If performed on the ground,it will lie on the the ground for ~2 seconds before detonating. Unlike nades, it has a very high chance of exploding if an opponent picks it up, and a low one if Ridley does. If they do pick it up successfully however, it can be a powerful tool with its range and power, making it very tempting. Lure the opponent with it, and then fireball them to explode it even if they do get it. A good Ridley is a sadistic Ridley.

Up: Multi-Missile System
Ridley does not have an up special recovery- his glide and great jumps are more than enough. Instead, he hovers in place for a moment as he launches 3-5 missiles at slightly differing angles into the air. The number of missiles depends on the time since he last performed the move. The animation is much slower than his other projectiles, but for good reason. The missiles pause in the air for a moment before launching one by one at the current location of the nearest enemy. Each hits for 3% and low knockback. Note that the move automatically clanks, and will cancel his glide completely.
This is mainly used to control the opponent's actions. Due to the homing, they are forced to either shield, clank with them, or run to avoid them, as there are too many to dodge. Each can be punished by Ridley if he predicts it or reacts fast enough. The main weakness of this is the startup, as any opponent will hit Ridley before he can send out his weapons if he is too close or predictable.
You couldn't work the flame strike projecter as a fuctional up special and have the multi missle system as the down special. The specials are probably the only I have a slight disagreement in, overall nice moveset. Also Meta Ridley was the first Ridley I ever faced in Metroid.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
area area You couldn't work the flame strike projecter as a fuctional up special and have the multi missle system as the down special. The specials are probably the only I have a slight disagreement in, overall nice moveset. Also Meta Ridley was the first Ridley I ever faced in Metroid.
Hmmm me and you seem to have more and more in common <3 :)

EDIT: Ughh...ohh no...i thought you was Ismar.....

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I like the Kinetic Breath Weapon a lot. The thought of just streaming plasma onto someone who's recovering is pretty fun.

Also, I do still love the name Corsair Claw. :awesome:

I do think that not having a recovery special can be pretty gimping just because you lose different approach methods and an edge guarder can keep knocking you back as you waste your midair jumps, but hopefully Ridley could get high enough to glide over edge guarders in the first place?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
The reason for the lack of an up special is I don't want him to be too broken. As it is, he has Jiggs level recovery- the three jumps are all much higher, netting him a lot of vertical and horizontal distance, he has good horizontal mobility, and he has an extremely versatile glide- and because he automatically resumes gliding after jumping, it's functionally similar to having three glides. Plus he can stall and cover his recovery with the Multi Missile System. If he's close to the stage, then edge guarding him gets very risky, since he can grab you and either suicide with you or throw you off, and the Uair and Ledge Attack I'll show later also can be quite scary for an edge guarder. At least without an up special, an edge guarder still has a chance of succeeding if he can last long enough.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sounds like the kind of Meta-Ridley moveset I made back in the day, minus the Corsair Claw part. Nice.

:joyful: @ Dark Phazon.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley doesn't even have hair why would he have coarse hair much less on his claw really what were you thinking 0/10.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like the kind of Meta-Ridley moveset I made back in the day, minus the Corsair Claw part. Nice.

:joyful: @ Dark Phazon.
Are you the guy who made his MYM moveset? I loved that moveset, so a lot of the concepts have stuck in my head and I may have accidentally included them without realizing it. I purposely avoided reading it recently, to make it easier to come up with my own stuff. It still gets hard though, like coming up with an up air, cause I don't want to plagiarize yours but it just fits way too well for the play style I'm going for.
Edit: nope, wrong guy
Edit:
Ridley doesn't even have hair why would he have coarse hair much less on his claw really what were you thinking 0/10.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ugh...ow..gahhdd....Other M....what have you done...
Imo the order of how good the prime games are the exact order of when they released.

I hope Metroid U will be as good as Echoes atleast.

Man it could be better than Prime1 ! No matter how sick Prime1 is you can just tell it could have been alot better still there still is a huge room for improvement mainly with bosses and enemies.

I Hope Retro put in as much work and effort than Nintendo do with Zelda...

Top Bottom