• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
:4luigi::4falcon: - Almost always been unlocks in the past. Agreed on Luigi, but I feel like Falcon should be a starter again like in Melee. It just seems to make sense to me.
:4megaman::4pacman::4sonic: - All third parties should be unlockable like they were in Brawl. I dunno. They were meant to be starters in Brawl anyway, so we can't exactly rely on that.
:4tlink: - Was unlockable in Brawl, and Young Link (who he replaced) was unlockable in Melee. Agreed
:4lucario::4greninja: - Just makes sense, also Lucario was unlockable in Brawl. They just look unlockable. One being a starter of the more recent game and the other being a mascot that's been advertised quite heavily as of recently. I dunno, it doesn't scream "unlockable" to me. At least with Mewtwo you could argue that he wasn't present last game and he's an endgame legendary.
:4palutena: - She's a goddess, also just feels unlockable. Perhaps.
:4robinm: - His abilities make him seem unlockable to me. He/She could go either way. Being the more unique of the FE crew seems like it could be a starter.
:4lucina: - Not many (if any) clones have been starters in the past. She also appears late in Awakening, so it makes even more sense for her to unlockable.
:4zss: - Seems like to much of a change to her character from Brawl to be starter. It could also go either way
:4bowser: - Main villain; it doesn't feel right to have 4/5 of the Mario series starters. He's THE Nintendo villain. He just doesn't feel right being an unlockable. Plus, a Mario newcomer besides Rosalina isn't exactly out of the question, you know[/spoiler]
Responses in green.

Back on topic, Ridley may be one of the toughest characters to unlock (not Mewtwo levels of tedious, but still pretty high).

Also, lol, people legitimately believing Mewtwo isn't returning.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Remember when Lucario was revealed to be a veteran? Remember all the FU$% YOU SAKURAI FUR F%G GIVE US MEWTWO that we saw?
I always felt Greninja got more of the blame for not being Mewtwo, although they probably shouldn't have removed the webbing for his fingers and the pelvic fin on his shadow. Between Ridley and Greninja's mewtwoified shadow, the direct had a thing with hinting characters via vague shadows.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Pokemon might have six again this time around, Pokemon has always had six in my eyes. A lot of people tend to go by the theory of "slots" even though "slots" don't exist. Plus there is nothing wrong with Pokemon having more than Mario in my eyes.
I meant 4 starter slot, ya dingus.

Of course Pokemon will have more than four slots, it's freaking Pokemon.

Also, I believe that, if Sakurai so desires, Pokemon could get up to 8 slots and not give a damn whatsoever.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I meant 4 starter slot, ya dingus.

Of course Pokemon will have more than four slots, it's freaking Pokemon.
Also, I believe that, if Sakurai so desires, Pokemon could get up to 8 slots and not give a damn whatsoever.
OHHHHHHHHH, my bad xD

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Back on topic, Ridley may be one of the toughest characters to unlock (not Mewtwo levels of tedious, but still pretty high).
I expect the same. Also, I was too young to remember unlocking characters in Smash, so when I unlocked them in Brawl, it felt really easy. I'm probably in for a rude awakening this time around. (Though, I do vaguely remember how much of a nightmare Mewtwo was)

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Again, he was a starter in Melee, and he's never being a tough character to unlock (beat Classic mode in a fairly forgiving amount of time).
I'm aware of his previous situations, but that doesn't mean I support them. :4falcon:

I think I've mentioned this before, but I hope the unlock requirements for characters are more creative this time around. Much like unlocking Air Ride Machines in Kirby Air Ride.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I legitimately don't understand how this thread got so easily derailed.

Oh wait, yes I do: Ridley still isn't announced!!!!!!!

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I expect the same. Also, I was too young to remember unlocking characters in Smash, so when I unlocked them in Brawl, it felt really easy. I'm probably in for a rude awakening this time around. (Though, I do vaguely remember how much of a nightmare Mewtwo was)
Unlocking characters in Brawl was pathetically easy. Not only because of SSE, but the amount of matches you need to play is ridiculously lower then (in Melee, you unlock Mr. G&W at 1000 matches, while Wolf required only 400) and, I mean, to unlock Ness you need to reflect 10 projectiles. I'm not kidding. That's how you unlock him.

I'm aware of his previous situations, but that doesn't mean I support them. :4falcon:
Ah well. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Unlocking characters in Brawl was pathetically easy. Not only because of SSE, but the amount of matches you need to play is ridiculously lower then (in Melee, you unlock Mr. G&W at 1000 matches, while Wolf required only 400) and, I mean, to unlock Ness you need to reflect 10 projectiles. I'm not kidding. That's how you unlock him.
Lol, I just did the SSE.

(:lucario: is my 2nd main)
Damnstraight
So much salt that day. Anywho, back to Ridley.
He's one of my Project M mains, next to Roy, Mewtwo and the Earthbound boys. I really like how easy it is to chain jabs, tilts, and smashes as him. I also think his specials and the aura mechanic are far superior to his official appearances.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Heh, funny, Ness is the only character I unlocked without doing SSE.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Why not I give my wishlist on starters & unlockables. Because, y'know...trend of the hour. ^^' This will also include unannounced characters I either think will return, or I just wanna see return.

Starters: :4mario::4dk::4link::4kirby::4pikachu::4samus::4zss::4fox::4pit::4yoshi::4bowser::4peach::4zelda::4sheik::popo::4diddy::4dedede::4charizard::warioc::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4robinm::4robinf::4mii:

Unlockables: :4luigi::ness2::4falcon::jigglypuff::4marth::falco::ganondorf::gw::mewtwopm::metaknight::4lucario::wolf::4tlink::4sonic::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman:[and Ridley:142:]

Characters I'm not sure of: :rosalina::4lucina::4myfriends::4megaman: (one part of me wants Mega Man to be a starter, while the other thinks he'll be unlockable)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Gonna be a lot of infractions if people don't take the Starter/General Character talk that has nothing to do with Ridley to the appropriate threads.

WHAAAAAAAT!? This I must see! Curse you sleepyness!

Compared to (about 30 seconds in, and just about every time before his attacks):

Beats Palkia getting the generic Godzilla enemy mash-up roar (mix of Ghidorah, Boga and Godzilla himself, if I recall correctly).

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Gonna be a lot of infractions if people don't take the Starter/General Character talk to the appropriate thread.

Dialga's roar is a pretty common sound effect. I think I've heard that roar come from the Hydra in Dark Souls and something else in Devil May Cry.

I liked Brawley's sound effects/roars. I hope Sm4sh Ridley gets a few of those.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Compared to (about 30 seconds in, and just about every time before his attacks):

Beats Palkia getting the generic Godzilla enemy mash-up roar (mix of Ghidorah, Boga and Godzilla himself, if I recall correctly).
Here's the Palkia comparison for reference.

I honestly prefer Palkia's roar to Dialga's. That's probably because I love Star Wars, though.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Dialga's roar is a pretty common sound effect. I think I've heard that roar come from the Hydra in Dark Souls and something else in Devil May Cry.

I liked Brawley's sound effects/roars. I hope Sm4sh Ridley gets a few of those.
I like Brawley's sound efects too...also Omega's sound efects...he sounds cute in my opinion....

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So, today being the 10th...

Anything on what went on with CoroCoro?
Nope, nothing really note-worthy aside some from light on Palutena's moveset and the modes we saw footage of in the 3DS E3 trailer.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Just convinced some people in GameXplain's chat that Ridley is playable through the second post.

Why do I waste my time like this

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Welp, I was bored, so I borrowed a friend's copy of Other M since I have yet to play it. Time to finally see what all the fuss is about.

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Would anyone be at all surprised if Crazy Lord McCookypants declared Ridley unplayable only to have him be playable in the game for no more reason than to screw with us?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Welp, I was bored, so I borrowed a friend's copy of Other M since I have yet to play it. Time to finally see what all the fuss is about.
I hope you enjoy it!...but...you will have to deal with 2 hours of cutscenes.....

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well, I call myself a Metroid fan, so I have to at least give it a chance. The only issue is I think I have to tape my sensor bar to my monitor...

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
What!?!?!?!?!?!
In Robin Trailers so I saw some explode an it was Ridley!?!?! Ridley is confirmed!?!
Ridley Just like Mr. G&W on Pac-Man Trailers and Dark Pit on Palutena Trailer!
Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 3.52.39 PM.png

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Unfortunately you have to 100% complete the game to get hard mode :c

Play with an open mind Phaazoid :bee:
>.>

I hate it when games do this

That was the one of my few complaints with Prime 1.

I'm probably not playing the thing twice, so hopefully standard difficulty is enough.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What!?!?!?!?!?!
In Robin Trailers so I saw some explode an it was Ridley!?!?! Ridley is confirmed!?!
Ridley Just like Mr. G&W on Pac-Man Trailers and Dark Pit on Palutena Trailer!View attachment 21222
First off, change your signature. It's really freaking me out.

Second off, please avoid grasping straws.

Last edited:
Top Bottom