• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Hey guys I just joined Smash boards today and started playing Metroid Prime yesterday Ive played fully through the original years ago and I'm playing through Super Metroid now too and of what I have seen of Ridley right now I see no reason why he shouldn't be playable so I'm hoping for that shadow to just be a tease as playable Ridley would be awesome!
Don't drink the water

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
would you guys rather ridley be a starter or unlockable
Unlockable, just so detractors who don't know about his eventual reveal trailer will think 'ERMAHGERD CHELLENJAR UPROCHING!!' just like any normal person would. Then they see Ridley and 'WHAT!?!?!?!?! SAMURAI Y U DO DIS!?' and gets so shocked, they get their arse kicked!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can I ask as I have seen that so many times on this thread what does that actually mean?
It's just an inside joke that detractors have drinked some kind of corrupted water to make them think like they do. I'd honestly prefer we didn't say it to every new member, I think it causes much more confusion than it does anything else.

would you guys rather ridley be a starter or unlockable
I'd love it if the very first thing I could do would be playing as Ridley, so I'd prefer him being a starter. However, with both Samus and ZSS pretty much being guaranteed starters I don't expect it.

Last edited:

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
Here is a spooky story.
"Years ago, in this very franchise, there was a Nintendo character just like you. Only bigger! And, one night, when he was waiting for Brawl, it happened."

"He forgot his color palettes?"

"No."

"He didn't remember his moveset?"

"No."

"Wrong representative?"

"No! He became a boss by mistake! And he was replaced by the same character without her suit. And, he got hit by a Subspace bomb! And, at his funeral, they deconfirmed him! So now, every, um, what day is it?"

"Wednesday."

"Wednesday night, he returns to Smash Bros. to reek his horrible vengeance."

"*gasp* But tonight is Wednesday night!"

"Then he'll be coming..."

"How will we know?"

"There are three signs that signal the approach of the Space Pirate dragon. First, the camera will flicker on and off. Next, Pyrosphere will appear, and there will be nobody there. Then the Space Pirate dragon shows up over the stage, because he's already flying! He slowly casts his shadow shadow shadow! And do you know what happens next?"
"What?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"What?!"

"Do you really, really want to know?"

"WHAT, WHAT, WHAT DOES HE DO?!

"He gets confirmed!"
If Spongebob was a detractor/hater his response immediately after fits perfectly XD

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Okay, so I have a story. And yes, it has to do with Ridley.

So right now I'm playing through the Subspace Emissary, and I'm starting from the beginning again. I just finished the first level when you get Pit, and wow, he has amazing air game. Is he always like that? I didn't main him in Brawl much, but he can take out a Primid with one D-Air. (This is where Ridley comes in to the story.) I'm hoping that Ridley is sort of like what I'm noticing now. Slow run, lots of jumps, fantastic air game, and decent ground game. I know most of us have already agreed on this, but I still wanted to say it.

Yes, I'm playing on Easy because I want to unlock Boss Battles so I can get some screenshots with Ridley.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Is he always like that? I didn't main him in Brawl much, but he can take out a Primid with one D-Air.
Primid's certainly aren't a way to look at how powerful a character is.
But Pit's air game is over-average, so I'd say so.
...Primid 4 Smash.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Considering Ridley (or at least, what we think is going to be Ridley) is harder to master or just normally play as, I'd say it's more likely he is unlockable
No, I don't know what are the requirements for being unlockable but it just seems better that way I guess.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Considering Ridley (or at least, what we think is going to be Ridley) is harder to master or just normally play as, I'd say it's more likely he is unlockable
No, I don't know what are the requirements for being unlockable but it just seems better that way I guess.
1. Don't be a starter
2. Be popular
3. ???
4. profit

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Ridley should be unlockable and have some weird requirements to unlock him, like "Kill 20 stage bosses using Samus" or something like that.

EDIT: God, look at how awesome my new signature is. No Ridley involved, though... yet.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Beat Classic Mode on 9.0 in under 3 minutes without losing a stock while always taking the left path as Samus only using Missles.

That seems fair.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Completely forgot about that. Oops. :(
hehe, don't worry!

I just drew something.
82A571_0DB8E362AD3B0_000.gif

"Ah....miss Rosa linda....such grace and beauty..."

Rosalina's italian name is Rosalinda (Rosa + linda), which means Beautiful Rose in both Italian and Spanish.

I will someday put her in one of the comics with my Catrin Ridley maybe....

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Haven't written here on this thread for a long time.
I guess the wait is just so unbearable I lost hype. Feeling sorta lost, but I do hope Ridley's fate is confirmed this month.. I just cba waiting no more.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
3. Don't be on the box art.

All characters on the box art end up being starter characters.
So wait, does this mean that the 14 characters on the 2 covers this time around are pretty much certainly some or all of the starters? It'd be nice if we had these guys to begin with, Little Mac especially (I think I might main him).
Here they are for reference, if anyone cares:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
hehe, don't worry!

I just drew something.
View attachment 21208
"Ah....miss Rosa linda....such grace and beauty..."

Rosalina's italian name is Rosalinda (Rosa + linda), which means Beautiful Rose in both Italian and Spanish.

I will someday put her in one of the comics with my Catrin Ridley maybe....
HOLY CRAP RIDLEY IS TINY COMPARED TO ROSALINA RIDLEY CONFIRMED!!!!

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Hello Smashboard members, nice to meet you all, I'm a new member who's been lurking these forums for a while and has decided to join the Smashboards Friday and I would like to join the conversation.
If Ridley was a Charizard clone wouldn't it be a C. Falcon and Ganondorf situation? That situation where it doesn't make sense of why two characters are clones to begin with? Because I don't see Ridley ending up being a clone of Charizard, that would be lack of creativity. I also feel Ganondorf should in fact be getting a moveset re-haul this time around.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So wait, does this mean that the 14 characters on the 2 covers this time around are pretty much certainly some or all of the starters? That'd be nice.
Here they are for reference, if anyone cares:

Yep :). Possibly even more, because Brawl had more starters than what was on its cover.

:4link::4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4samus::4littlemac::4marth::4kirby::4yoshi::rosalina::4wiifit::4dk::4peach:

So Ridley is most likely an unlockable, but you never know.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Hello Smashboard members, nice to meet you all, I'm a new member who's been lurking these forums for a while and has decided to join the Smashboards Friday and I would like to join the conversation.
If Ridley was a Charizard clone wouldn't it be a C. Falcon and Ganondorf situation? That situation where it doesn't make sense of why two characters are clones to begin with? Because I don't see Ridley ending up being a clone of Charizard, that would be lack of creativity.
First of all, welcome to Smashboards!

Second of all, it would certainly be a huge lack of creativity, just like it was back in Melee with Ganondorf. Sure, he wasn't that important back then, but Brawl should've fixed that.

But seeing how all the newcomers (except for Lucina, but that's a special case) are very unique, I have no reason to think Ridley will be a clone, or even a semi-clone.

That's neat.
She's called Estela in Spanish, which means "trail", like in a comet's trail, and also sounds similar to "stellar" (or "estelar" in Spanish).

The more you know.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If Ridley was a Charizard clone wouldn't it be a C. Falcon and Ganondorf situation? That situation where it doesn't make sense of why two characters are clones to begin with? Because I don't see Ridley ending up being a clone of Charizard, that would be lack of creativity. I also feel Ganondorf should in fact be getting a moveset re-haul this time around.
Welcome aboard our Space Pirate Battalion!

P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!

Top Bottom