• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
:4link::4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4samus::4littlemac::4marth::4kirby::4yoshi::rosalina::4wiifit::4dk::4peach:

So Ridley is most likely an unlockable, but you never know.
I know this is unrelated to Ridley, but am I the only one who finds it weird that Luigi and (maybe) Bowser are unlockable yet Rosalina is a starter? especially with Peach also being a starter.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That's neat.
Rosalina's name in Spanish, Estela, is even more ingenious, as it's both related to her Japanese name, Rosetta, and the celestial bodies.

You see, her Japanese name is a reference to the Rosetta Stone, right?

The stone is a fragment of a stele.

Estela is Spanish for stele, and it also refers to the tail of a comet

Clever, huh?

Either way, do you think that any of the characters shown so far may potentially be unlockable?

I mean, Luigi, Toon Link, and even Lucina seem like they could be unlockables. So Ridley being shown before release may not be as farfetched as some may concider it.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Yep :). Possibly even more, because Brawl had more starters than what was on its cover.

:4link::4mario::4pikachu::4pit::4villager::4samus::4littlemac::4marth::4kirby::4yoshi::rosalina::4wiifit::4dk::4peach:

So Ridley is most likely an unlockable, but you never know.
I'd also wager most of the characters from the demo will be starters as well.

:4zelda::4fox::4bowser::4sheik::4zss::4olimar::4megaman::4sonic::4greninja::4luigi::4tlink:
Some of them I actually think are unlockable, though. Namely, :4megaman::4sonic::4greninja::4luigi::4tlink: and possibly :4zss: or :4olimar:

Either way, do you think that any of the characters shown so far may potentially be unlockable?

I mean, Luigi, Toon Link, and even Lucina seem like they could be unlockables. So Ridley being shown before release may not be as farfetched as some may consider it.
Yeah, I think several of the currently revealed characters are unlockable. :4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4mii: especially.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hello Smashboard members, nice to meet you all, I'm a new member who's been lurking these forums for a while and has decided to join the Smashboards Friday and I would like to join the conversation.
If Ridley was a Charizard clone wouldn't it be a C. Falcon and Ganondorf situation? That situation where it doesn't make sense of why two characters are clones to begin with? Because I don't see Ridley ending up being a clone of Charizard, that would be lack of creativity. I also feel Ganondorf should in fact be getting a moveset re-haul this time around.
Considering the fact that Ridley and Charizard have different overall proportions, I'd say the chances of Ridley being a clone are rather slim.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I mean, Luigi, Toon Link, and even Lucina seem like they could be unlockables. So Ridley being shown before release may not be as farfetched as some may concider it.
I think for unlockables we'll get: :4luigi::4bowser::4greninja::4lucario::4diddy::4myfriends::4lucina::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::4tlink::4zss::4mii::4falcon:

I think Lucina will be fairly easy to unlock, as she's basically Easy Marth.

I died.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I think for unlockables we'll get: :4luigi::4bowser::4greninja::4lucario::4diddy::4myfriends::4lucina::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::4tlink::4zss::4mii::4falcon:

I think Lucina will be fairly easy to unlock, as she's basically Easy Marth.

I died.
That's a bit dumb. I mean, what good is it to have almost half of the characters shown thus far unlockable? Also, just because they don't show up on the cover doesn't mean they'll be unlockable.

Missing :dk64::yoshi64:

Missing :bowser2::dedede::diddy::dk2::yoshi2::zelda::lucas::popo:

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
My idea on how the starting roster might look: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::4fox::4dk::4diddy::4kirby::4pit::4pikachu::4charizard::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::4marth::4lucina::4falcon::4mii::4sonic::4megaman::4wiifit::4villager:(My thinking is there will be at least 3 newcomers from the start, maybe 5)

As for unlockable characters (so far): :4greninja::4lucario::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4pacman::4myfriends::ness2::4tlink::4littlemac::4palutena::4olimar:

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To be honest, I think both :4lucario: and :4greninja: will be starters. They're recent, popular, and well received.

Either way, I think Ridley may be shown before release regardless of his unlockable status.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and while looking for a Ridley image, I came across this:
I should have posted this instead of the other image, but it was already too late.

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I think both :4lucario: and :4greninja: will be starters. They're recent, popular, and well received.

Either way, I think Ridley may be shown before release regardless of his unlockable status.
That didn't stop :mewtwomelee:or :lucario: before.

I highly doubt we're going to have more than 3 or so reps from a single series to start with.

Last edited:
While we're on this topic I'll give my guess on who I think will be starters.

:4mario::4pikachu::4charizard::4samus::4link::4kirby::4marth::4dk::4fox::4bowser::4peach::4pit::4littlemac::4wiifit::4villager::4zelda::4sheik::4yoshi::4zss::4megaman:

Unlockable: :4falcon::4dedede::4diddy::4greninja::4myfriends::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4mii::4olimar::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4robinf::4tlink::4sonic::rosalina:, (Unconfirmed vets): Ganondorf, Wario, Wolf, Falco, Ness, Meta Knight, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo :cool: (hey I can dream right?), ROB, Mr Game and Watch.

Boy that's a lot of characters, this roster is going to be huge, and we aren't even done yet.

I'm probably way off on this prediction but I do think Wii Fit Trainer, Villager and Little Mac will be the first 3 newcomers to try out. I can't say if Mega man will be unlockable or not, something is telling me he isn't.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Hello Smashboard members, nice to meet you all, I'm a new member who's been lurking these forums for a while and has decided to join the Smashboards Friday and I would like to join the conversation.
If Ridley was a Charizard clone wouldn't it be a C. Falcon and Ganondorf situation? That situation where it doesn't make sense of why two characters are clones to begin with? Because I don't see Ridley ending up being a clone of Charizard, that would be lack of creativity. I also feel Ganondorf should in fact be getting a moveset re-haul this time around.
Welcome aboard the Ridley train! As for your question, it doesn't make sense for two characters from different franchises to have similar movesets. I trust Sakurai and his team would make Ridley a completely unique character that brings something new to the table. I agree with you that Ganondorf could get a revamped moveset in this game.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, one of my last messages was "I've read every page since 800" and I just got lazy and have been more dedicated to RPing, so I've stopped keeping up.

I'd ask for any news, but it'd be a silly thing to ask because there's never any news. Ever. PotD disconfirmation still hasn't been a thing, which is good.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Size doesn't matter in Smash Bros.
Thank you. And can I just say how much I love your avatar/username?

Incidentally, as long as it's spoilered, marked NSFW and kept in url form (so don't use the IMG tags) I don't personally see the problem with continuing showing your Birdley pictures @Jeanne as long as they're not visible on site and marked properly, I imagine it'd be fine (I'm not 100% sure on that, @ IsmaR IsmaR care to comment on the subject? You're here more than I am).
We've debated on it before, with @Jeanne asking if he should use different colors/media to convey less "graphic" imagery.

They're meant to be lighthearted, and honestly, I've never seen a problem with them, though I could see why some would (moreso the "message" they send to other fanbases than sensitivity to gore). Spoilers are enough, I think. Only linking the url is a bit much.

In fact, I want to talk about Dialga a bit more.

In every incarnation of him, he's huge. Forget Ridley, Dialga dwarfs most others we see. In the anime, he's huge. In the games? He is large enough to outright dwarf the player on the map screen.

People may argue that "oh, Bowser sometimes changes size, but Ridley doesn't". Well Dialga doesn't either. He is ALWAYS massive, especially in comparison to other Pokémon. Yet there's no problem shrinking him down to make him a stage hazard?

If you can't shrink Ridley down, fine. Make everyone else larger instead. It works for Olimar and Kirby.
I've always found it ironic/funny that Dialga in the anime shares/reuses the same "roar" that Meta Ridley has in Metroid Prime.

Kinda makes sense they'd be similar, what with the Steel/Dragon typing and all.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The only way Ridley could ever be a clone of Charizard would be if he also had an infinite supply of giant rocks to smash with his cranium, which I'm sure he doesn't have.

Unless Sakurai gets the idea to have Ridley use Chozo Statues instead.

Aw ****.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That didn't stop :mewtwomelee:or :lucario: before.

I highly doubt we're going to have more than 3 or so reps from a single series to start with.
The Mario series already have Mario, Peach, Bowser and Rosalina. Pokemon can easily have four as well.
Remember when Lucario was revealed to be a veteran? Remember all the FU$% YOU SAKURAI FUR F%G GIVE US MEWTWO that we saw?
I meant in Pokemon, not Smash.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
That's a bit dumb. I mean, what good is it to have almost half of the characters shown thus far unlockable? Also, just because they don't show up on the cover doesn't mean they'll be unlockable.

I'm not saying that if they aren't on the cover they aren't unlockable, these just seem like the most likely cantidates to be unlockable for me. The starting Roster is supposed to be small. Brawl had 21 starters, so I guess I could drop :4diddy: :4myfriends:and maybe :4mii:.

:4luigi::4falcon: - Almost always been unlocks in the past.
:4megaman::4pacman::4sonic: - All third parties should be unlockable like they were in Brawl.
:4tlink: - Was unlockable in Brawl, and Young Link (who he replaced) was unlockable in Melee.
:4lucario::4greninja: - Just makes sense, also Lucario was unlockable in Brawl. They just look unlockable.
:4palutena: - She's a goddess, also just feels unlockable.
:4robinm: - His abilities make him seem unlockable to me.
:4lucina: - Not many (if any) clones have been starters in the past.
:4zss: - Seems like to much of a change to her character from Brawl to be starter.
:4bowser: - Main villain; it doesn't feel right to have 4/5 of the Mario series starters.

That leaves :4mario::4peach::rosalina::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4pikachu::4charizard::4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4marth::4myfriends::4olimar::4mii::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::4pit::4littlemac::4wiifit::4samus: as starters. That's around what Brawl had, and I have confidence more characters will be revealed for the starting roster.

I don't know, this is just my opinion on who should be unlockable, you don't have to agree with it.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Hahaha, one of my last messages was "I've read every page since 800" and I just got lazy and have been more dedicated to RPing, so I've stopped keeping up.

I'd ask for any news, but it'd be a silly thing to ask because there's never any news. Ever. PotD disconfirmation still hasn't been a thing, which is good.
Well, the Explicit Deconfirmation of Non-Playable Characters pattern is still a thing, so that's....a thing. A good thing.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
The Mario series already have Mario, Peach, Bowser and Rosalina. Pokemon can easily have four as well.
Pokemon might have six again this time around, Pokemon has always had six in my eyes. A lot of people tend to go by the theory of "slots" even though "slots" don't exist. Plus there is nothing wrong with Pokemon having more than Mario in my eyes.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I've always found it ironic/funny that Dialga in the anime shares/reuses the same "roar" that Meta Ridley has in Metroid Prime.

WHAT

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
That's true. It may be that either :4bowser:or :rosalina:are unlockable. I'd wager :rosalina:, but she is on the cover...
Idk, there may be 4 Pokemon Reps to start, it is a definite possibility, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

WHAAAAAAAT!? This I must see! Curse you sleepyness!
I meant in Pokemon, not Smash.
Oh...Well, I'll show myself out for ridiculing myself
Lol, that really happened?
Yes, (Warning! Link contains nasty words) http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/689/536/799.jpg

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
No, Mewtwo's too big *shot*

Welp I'll give my opinion on unlockable stuff here
Whom I think will be unlockable from who we've been shown are:rosalina::4luigi::4tlink: :4palutena::4pacman::4sonic::4megaman::4lucario::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina: and maybe :4mii:
Wait
What?
I didn't say that.
Why does your post quote me on that? ._.
That's a BIG question

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
So we're talking unlockables now? In Ridley's thread? Alright then... My bet is on these guys:
:4lucina::4luigi::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4sonic:

Maybe? I don't know. It's hard to predict these things with so many characters still unannounced...

But we should talk Ridley!

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well, the Explicit Deconfirmation of Non-Playable Characters pattern is still a thing, so that's....a thing. A good thing.
I don't know what you're on about. EVIDENTLY he was letting us down easily by teasing a shadow which would cause us to speculate as he knew it would rather than explicitly disconfirming Ridley. *Still doesn't understand just how much asspulling you gotta do to use that argument*

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
"****ing disgusting. Fur**** have truly won."

For some reason that had me on the floor. Couldn't breathe for a little while. It's just so serious and ridiculous at the same time.
I know, right? I love how many images there are of Sakurai smiling maniacally.

I still really want Mewtwo though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom