• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
This is something that I can't stand about, surprise, detractors who simply don't want him in the game. They complain that Ridley is/looks mindless and just a wild monster, that only knows to attack Samus violently or roar at her.
OK, what the **** is he suppossed to do? Are they expecting him to do an evil laughter and say "ah, so you want to stop the mighty pirates... how amusing!"? I agree that Nintendo hasn't done much with his characterization, but unless they go full manga, I don't think he is the kind of villain to give expository monologues before a boss fight...
Okay:

First off) I'm not a detractor. I thought that was pretty clear based on my evidence posts here...

Secondly) I'm only talking about his Brawl fight and how it seems incredibly not Ridley. It was evidently a recycle of Dynablade's Encounter in Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Super Star. Like seriously. Watch that fight and tell me it isn't almost identical to Ridley's from Brawl.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh silly Morbidaltruism. That's still 50% which means your bet is subjective and arbitrary. It is common on these boards to attribute a perceived rating though; however, it does Ridley no good, he is either in or out!
Incorrect. I have no idea what you are on about, but objectively speaking, if he is in... that gives him a 100% chance as he is in the game. If he is not, that gives him a 0% chance as he is not in the game. You do not average the percentages, it does not work like that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I can't quite say that Ridley's a shoo-in, but the deliberate ambiguity towards Ridley's presence and the ample opportunities to reveal him as a hazard that's being wasted makes me pretty confident in his chances.

Also, if he was confirmed to be a boss hazard, why wasn't he outright confirmed to be one by Nintendo and/or Sakurai on Twitter? Why hasn't he been alluded to since then?

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
It's speculated that Ridley and the Space Pirates' language is based around grunts and other odd noises. When Ridley talks to Pirates in the manga it's just their language being translated. He doesn't speak English.
If the Primes are ever fully acknowledged by NCL and that dude, it would be even in-game canon, since in Prime the scan "decodes" the pirate info for the log entries.
My point is, even if he could speak in fluent english, the smartest thing to do would be to not waste time in introduction scenes and just attack your freaking target. Heck, his roar in Other M actually worked and partially disabled her armor.

Morbi

Scavenger
I can't quite say that Ridley's a shoo-in, but the deliberate ambiguity towards Ridley's presence and the ample opportunities to reveal him as a hazard that's being wasted makes me pretty confident in his chances.

Also, if he was confirmed to be a boss hazard, why wasn't he outright confirmed to be one by Nintendo and/or Sakurai on Twitter? Why hasn't he been alluded to since then?
Indeed. Compound that with that notion that shadows (silhouettes) are universally interpreted as a means at keeping something a mystery and the fact that revealing Ridley as a stage-boss whilst keeping most aspects of the reveal secret is utterly counter-intuitive.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I honestly believe that he either has a zero percent chance, or a one-hundred percent chance. Anything in-between is arbitrary and subjective. It is common on these boards to attribute a perceived rating; however, it does Ridley no good, he is either in or out.
/pretentious lecture
Doesn't that really go for every character though? Either they're in or they aren't, simple as that. The only thing that really puts Ridley aside in the Smash speculation scene itself is that either you believe or you don't, there's not really many people that say maybe like I do, but that still doesn't really change the final outcome, in reality it's 0% or 100% for every character.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Incorrect. I have no idea what you are on about, but objectively speaking, if he is in... that gives him a 100% chance as he is in the game. If he is not, that gives him a 0% chance as he is not in the game. You do not average the percentages, it does not work like that.
If he's either in or out it's a 50% bet; Shrödinger's cat.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
But it is all in perspective. We have no idea if he is in the game or not. Sure the directors do, but we do not. We do not have the full idea, so from our perspective it can go either way. The way you are talking is how the directors see it. Now, we ourselves can predict, so we can say what percentage it seems to be. If Sakurai said "He may or may not be a playable character" we can put him at 50%. If we have analysis showing he is probably playable, we can say his chance is 80-90%. Chances are the possibilities of an event. We don't know the outcome, so all we can do is predict chances.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Okay:

First off) I'm not a detractor. I thought that was pretty clear based on my evidence posts here...

Secondly) I'm only talking about his Brawl fight and how it seems incredibly not Ridley. It was evidently a recycle of Dynablade's Encounter in Kirby Super Star Ultra and Kirby Super Star. Like seriously. Watch that fight and tell me it isn't almost identical to Ridley's from Brawl.
My comment was not directed at you at all my fellow pirate. Just about what Ive seen elsewhere.

Morbi

Scavenger
But it is all in perspective. We have no idea if he is in the game or not. Sure the directors do, but we do not. We do not have the full idea, so from our perspective it can go either way. The way you are talking is how the directors see it. Now, we ourselves can predict, so we can say what percentage it seems to be. If Sakurai said "He may or may not be a playable character" we can put him at 50%. If we have analysis showing he is probably playable, we can say his chance is 80-90%. Chances are the possibilities of an event. We don't know the outcome, so all we can do is predict chances.
Hence the word, "perceived." I deal in objective fact, not subjective opinion. :awesome:

If he's either in or out it's a 50% bet; Shrödinger's cat.
Thought experiments versus mathematics?

Doesn't that really go for every character though? Either they're in or they aren't, simple as that. The only thing that really puts Ridley aside in the Smash speculation scene itself is that either you believe or you don't, there's not really many people that say maybe like I do, but that still doesn't really change the final outcome, in reality it's 0% or 100% for every character.
Correct.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
"Emotionless" still doesn't really works too. He does looks angry after getting hit by Pikachu's Thunder attack. But it works better than just "mindless" or "instinctive/primitive". Anyway, he is nearly exactly same as he is in Metroid games - doesn't talks, fights Samus without taunting or anything unnecessary, etc. But they decied to give him big eyes and remain with opened eyes for entire fight. In Other M, it can be explained by nictitating membranes covering his eyes. In such case, it is unnecessary or impossible to blink.
Maybe i failed to understand last part of your post.
Well. Compare that to the end of the same cutscene after he hits the ground and stands up, shaking his head. He seems like Ridley there.
Okay, let me start over, as I've evidently ****ed this up as I went on.

I do like Ridley's representation in Brawl, I just don't like how it is delivered. The model is great and so are the sound effects. Despite this, at some points Ridley does not feel like the Ridley you know (I clearly do not have a good word for this). The introduction is way too abrupt, seeing as how he suddenly slams into Samus from the side without even the slightest notion of him being there prior to that. This could have been fixed by having him descend from the ceiling at a moderate speed, landing in front of Samus and roaring; then flying at Samus and slamming her against the wall like he does. His eyes are always open with a soul-disrupting stare, and some of his movements are just too flowing for the maniacal representation initially delivered. After Samus is saved by Pikachu, Ridley falls to the ground and recoils in injury. He is evidently hurt and is showing emotion. This is good, I thought. Then came the battle... Ridley's fight sequence is evidently Dynablade from Kirby SS/SSU, just without the neck stretching. All of his moves are carbon copies of Dynablade's, even using some moves he has never used before. He even seems to sport Dynablade's personality in some points (not the motherly part). Upon his defeat, he dies like every other boss in the game. Later on, Ridley returns as Meta-Ridley, sporting metallic prosthetics. In this fight, he suddenly acts like Ridley again. He shows signs of Ridley-like intelligence, clearly knowing that hitting is bad, and that pulling and tossing is effective to kill you.

I give Ridley's Brawl Representation 8.5 stars out of 10, for evidently being a personality-lacking cover up for Dynablade, and then being saved by what I can only assume was planned all along.

I hope I explained that well enough in my review of him.

Oh also, these are my opinions. They don't have to be yours.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I never got to nightmare (he isnt that creepy) and how is ridley scary
He is creepy in his own way. He may not look like some kind of Eldritch Abomination or have powers like any of those have, but he is the leader of space pirates (space terrorists would work better considering what they do, but hey, who cares), someone who will not let you live happily once you will do something against him and you won't rest for more than few years, he doesn't cares who he kills, only how much and how and he is faster than Samus' ship while being very tough, being able to block something that goes through walls and enemies with his skin (not like he doesn't takes damage, more like that beam stops after it hits him) and he looks like anorexic dragon with a long tail with a spike on its end that can easily pierce you. He is scary in more than 1 way. Giant spider and a bioweapon with a creepy face mask are far from him. That is my opinion.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Hence the word, "perceived." I deal in objective fact, not subjective opinion. :awesome:

Thought experiments versus mathematics?

Correct.
No it's false though. If someone's stating that a certain situation, in our case: Ridley being playable or not, might occur or might not, it's a 50% bet.

AFTER it's confirmed if the situation did occur or not it's 0% in or 100% out.

<3

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So what did we have for Potential Final Smashes again?

Quite a few newcomers have a unique mechanic, move or something special about them.

Rosalina has the ability to control Luma.

Wii Fit Trainer has the deep breathing and sun salutation move.

Villager can pocket projectiles and throw them back.

Megaman can move around with his neutral A.

Little Mac has the K.O uppercut.

Robin has durability on his tomes and weapons.

Mii Fighters are completely customizable.

Palutena has more customizable moves than any other character (except Mii Fighters).

It wouldn't surprise me if Ridley had something special too.

I think it'll be a flight/hovering mechanic, like his shadow was doing in the direct.

What do you guys think it'll be?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Have any of you guys thought about how sad it will be when Ridley becomes finally a playable character? I mean, yes, we'll get what we want, but all the Ridley jokes will disappear, and we'll have to look for another unlikely, allegedly too big character to fight for their appearance in the next Smash.
Simple. We start supporting Kraid. :awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-Meta/Omega Ridley transformation
-Dragoon-style fly-by
-Space Pirate Raid
-Ridley wrecks your **** cinematic
-Something that's made up like the Mario Finale and Zero Laser.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
My comment was not directed at you at all my fellow pirate. Just about what Ive seen elsewhere.
Ah, sorry for lashing out at you then. I was being teamed up on and I thought "not another one". Sorry. :)

Morbi

Scavenger
No it's false though. If someone's stating that a certain situation, in our case: Ridley being playable or not, might occur or might not, it's a 50% bet.

AFTER it's confirmed if the situation did occur or not it's 0% in or 100% out.

<3
Okay... interesting opinion to say the least. I feel as though you may have misconstrued this sentiment based on my conduct. I intended to assert that he is either in the game or not. I should not have introduced the notion of "bet" or "chance" as there is no such consideration in terms of objective fact.

I wanted him to borrow Godzilla's atomic breath, to be honest. It would be so cool. It would not be the first time we have had unfaithful Final Smashes.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Quite a few newcomers have a unique mechanic, move or something special about them.

Rosalina has the ability to control Luma.

Wii Fit Trainer has the deep breathing and sun salutation move.

Villager can pocket projectiles and throw them back.

Megaman can move around with his neutral A.

Little Mac has the K.O uppercut.

Robin has durability on his tomes and weapons.

Mii Fighters are completely customizable.

Palutena has more customizable moves than any other character (except Mii Fighters).

It wouldn't surprise me if Ridley had something special too.

I think it'll be a flight/hovering mechanic, like his shadow was doing in the direct.

What do you guys think it'll be?
Also Pac-Man's fruit thing seems significant.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I want to see him fly across the screen and whoever he hits gets grabbed. Then he'll fly back a second time (the other direction) and drag the pick-ups across the ground, inflicting combo damage.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Okay... interesting opinion to say the least. I feel as though you may have misconstrued this sentiment based on my conduct. I intended to assert that he is either in the game or not. I should not have introduced the notion of "bet" or "chance" as there is no such consideration in terms of objective fact.

I wanted him to borrow Godzilla's atomic breath, to be honest. It would be so cool. It would not be the first time we have had unfaithful Final Smashes.
I absolutely agree.

You're still my homie though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Have any of you guys thought about how sad it will be when Ridley becomes finally a playable character? I mean, yes, we'll get what we want, but all the Ridley jokes will disappear, and we'll have to look for another unlikely, allegedly too big character to fight for their appearance in the next Smash.
I simply won't be around for the next Smash's speculation anyways, Ridley is the only character I actively want in the game at this point, I got everything else in Brawl, and I feel like his role in this game will determine his role in every future Smash installment, so there can't be anything sad about him being playable on my front. If he isn't playable in this game it's because Sakurai doesn't think he can be playable, and if he is he's never going to be cut because of how popular and important he is.

It might be a bit sad Smash speculation will lose its "mascot" of a sort, but I wouldn't care, I just want him in so I can finally feel like the Smash roster is complete, and even more so that I can finally play as my actual favorite Nintendo character.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I do like Ridley's representation in Brawl, I just don't like how it is delivered. The model is great and so are the sound effects. Despite this, at some points Ridley does not feel like the Ridley you know (I clearly do not have a good word for this). The introduction is way too abrupt, seeing as how he suddenly slams into Samus from the side without even the slightest notion of him being there prior to that. This could have been fixed by having him descend from the ceiling at a moderate speed, landing in front of Samus and roaring; then flying at Samus and slamming her against the wall like he does. His eyes are always open with a soul-disrupting stare, and some of his movements are just too flowing for the maniacal representation initially delivered. After Samus is saved by Pikachu, Ridley falls to the ground and recoils in injury. He is evidently hurt and is showing emotion. This is good, I thought. Then came the battle... Ridley's fight sequence is evidently Dynablade from Kirby SS/SSU, just without the neck stretching. All of his moves are carbon copies of Dynablade's, even using some moves he has never used before. He even seems to sport Dynablade's personality in some points (not the motherly part). Upon his defeat, he dies like every other boss in the game. Later on, Ridley returns as Meta-Ridley, sporting metallic prosthetics. In this fight, he suddenly acts like Ridley again. He shows signs of Ridley-like intelligence, clearly knowing that hitting is bad, and that pulling and tossing is effective to kill you.

I give Ridley's Brawl Representation 8.5 stars out of 10, for evidently being a personality-lacking cover up for Dynablade, and then being saved by what I can only assume was planned all along.

Then i agree with that. They should have used Dyna Blade instead of Ridley and Ridley instead of Meta Ridley. It would be very simple. I don't agree only with your "introduction presentation" part. Ridley would most likely attack Samus while she can't fight back or when she doesn't expects that.
His eyes DO close in the cutscene. I don't know why they decided to make them open the entire battle since they can make characters blink.
The only potential types of final smash he could use are "trapping" and "directional". I would like something like Aura Storm, but 2x faster, yet more powerful and not as wide. Final Smashes that affects his appearance or those that affect only 1 enemy are unlikely (in case of latter one, it is impossible).

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

Oh also, these are my opinions. They don't have to be yours.
Honestly, I was quite pleased with his representation in Brawl, it was what got me interested in the prospect of playable Ridley. I mean, the Melee cut-scene also contributed to my desire to play as him, but it was really his appearance in Brawl that sold it to me. However, that was my first experience with a boss Ridley. It probably meant more to me than veteran Metroid fans.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Honestly, I was quite pleased with his representation in Brawl, it was what got me interested in the prospect of playable Ridley. I mean, the Melee cut-scene also contributed to my desire to play as him, but it was really his appearance in Brawl that sold it to me. However, that was my first experience with a boss Ridley. It probably meant more to me than veteran Metroid fans.
Actually, all of this applies to me, too. I loved his Brawl representation, it was my first Ridley fight, and it sold it to me. I'm no veteran Metroid fan, I'm more of a veteran Kirby and Pokemon fan. It's the fact that Ridley just isn't Ridley, Ridley is Dynablade in Brawl that got to me.

I feel Ridley has so much potential that I don't understand why they had to rip off Dynablade to put Ridley as a boss. I'm not offended about any of this though. Oh god I just made everything worse after just patching it all up...

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Actually, all of this applies to me, too. I loved his Brawl representation, it was my first Ridley fight, and it sold it to me. I'm no veteran Metroid fan, I'm more of a veteran Kirby and Pokemon fan. It's the fact that Ridley just isn't Ridley, Ridley is Dynablade in Brawl that got to me.
I do not even know who Dynablade is, so it never bothered me! :shades:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I do not even know who Dynablade is, so it never bothered me! :shades:
Dynablade is such a minor boss in Kirby. The thing that angers me about Ridley copying Dynablade is that I don't understand why such a major boss (Ridley) would rip off such a minor boss (Dynablade).

Weavel

Smash Ace
Ok I got it, for Ridley's final smash he does a certain distinct kind of shriek that gets the attention of space pirates and they swarm the stage with this song playing.

It will be like pits final smash in brawl but not lame as hell.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
-u- Well, here are some photos of a bit of the progress with the Ridley coaster...
10533906_659470647467841_597235716234615956_n - Copy.jpg

I will have 4 replicas of it, and I only need to trace the drawing on (the dreaded....) Illustrator....

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ok I got it, for Ridley's final smash he does a certain distinct kind of shriek that gets the attention of space pirates and they swarm the stage with this song playing.

It will be like pits final smash in brawl but not lame as hell.
I assume the pirates in question will be Zebesians? The kind with the shooty claws.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
So basically I keep seeing common arguments with regards to Ridley across the internet:

- Scaling down "goes against canon" and he'll look stupid (basing it on Ridley hacks), thus "durr he I5 T0O B1G !!11!!".
- He's not "allowed" to get new powers/improved powers from non-Metroid games because it "goes against canon".
- Being playable "goes against canon" and he should stick to being a boss.
- He can't have a special hover/flying mechanic because "he'd be OP" and "it's impossible".

Remind me again:

- What series this is? *cough* not Metroid *cough*
- How relevant "canon" is to it? *cough* it isn't *cough*
- How surely the Smash Bros. team are competent enough to make a balanced game, and can even re-balance it through possible future patches?

:p

Morbi

Scavenger
So basically I keep seeing common arguments with regards to Ridley across the internet:

- Scaling down "goes against canon" and he'll look stupid (basing it on Ridley hacks), thus "durr he I5 T0O B1G !!11!!".
- He's not "allowed" to get new powers/improved powers from non-Metroid games because it "goes against canon".
- He can't have a special hover/flying mechanic because "he'd be OP" and "it's impossible".

Remind me again:

- How surely the Smash Bros. team are competent enough to make a balanced game, and can even re-balance it through possible future patches?

I do not see any issue with one detracting Ridley and citing that they respect the canon variation of Ridley too much to subject him to Smash. As a Ganondorf main... I can feel their plight (not really though, I love Ganondorf in Smash).

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Remind me again:

And let's not forget this.
Did being overpowered stop Meta Knight from getting into the game?
Because that bugger has his own tier.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
And let's not forget this.
Did being overpowered stop Meta Knight from getting into the game?
Because that bugger has his own tier.
Actually, the Ice Climbers have their own tier as well, as of the latest tier list.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

Remind me again:

if its not "hes too big" from them, they'll say "he'll look stupid" and then people ask me if he'll look right like they're trying to make me think on life and change my ways of the ridley. i tell them yes he will look the same and they get all sarcastic and flip out

Top Bottom