• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
And let's not forget this.
Did being overpowered stop Meta Knight from getting into the game?
Because that bugger has his own tier.
Albeit, you forgot to mention the notion that no one thought that Meta Knight was OP on launch. They are citing a very specific reason for why they believe Ridley may or may not be over-powered. You have to counter the sentiment in order to refute the argument. It is not enough to throw out an example that has no correlation to the situation at hand.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I'd prefer not to use the pirates from the prime series, because each prime game has a different design and as such the pirate would be representing that game, and not the series itself. That's why I suggested the clawed Zebesians.
Plus they return in Other M.

Albeit, you forgot to mention the notion that no one thought that Meta Knight was OP on launch. They are citing a very specific reason for why they believe Ridley may or may not be over-powered. You have to counter the sentiment in order to refute the argument. It is not enough to throw out an example that has no correlation to the situation at hand.
Morbid stop using so many words, you are making me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regardless of how good he is in the game, Ridley should just have his own "F" tier anyways because he's so Fly.

:shades:

/badpunoftheday.

I'll see myself out...

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I would have prefered if the regular Ridley fight was Dynablade (like it was originally planned) and then have the Meta-Ridley fight be Ridley. Or work regular Ridley in there somehow else.

This just doesn't feel like Ridley:

It feels like Dynablade. Most of the attacks are recycles of Dynablade's fight:

This does feel like Ridley, though:

Okay, maybe mindless wasn't the best word here. Maybe instinctive or primitive would have been better, though they don't seem to get the message across as well. I understand biting, but laughing is where I started to feel that mindless was the wrong word. If he could laugh slamming Samus that wouldn't feel right. Maybe emotionless would work.

Meta-Ridley fight feels fine to me, it's just the initial fight that seems too un-Ridley to be mapped to Ridley. They should have stuck with Dynablade for that one.
Funny how people say that Ridley in Brawl is a Dynablade knock off and treat it like a bad thing.

When in reality Ridley only shares one or two moves with Dyna (the dragoon style swoop and the whole flying around), who is actually able to spit fire in her fight; which means that if Ridley's fight was a full homage to Dynablade's, it would actually make sense.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Regardless of how good he is in the game, Ridley should just have his own "F" tier anyways because he's so Fly.

:shades:

/badpunoftheday.

I'll see myself out...
No no, let me do it, I INSIST.

morbid: "comes into the room with a belt" its word time!
smilingmad: no morbid please no!
Yeah! Hahaha! That's....funny!
please stop giving soulless ideas for potential ships pleaaaase

Funny how people say that Ridley in Brawl is a Dynablade knock off and treat it like a bad thing.

When in reality Ridley only shares one or two moves with Dyna (the dragoon style swoop and the whole flying around), who is actually able to spit fire in her fight; which means that if Ridley's fight was a full homage to Dynablade's, it would actually make sense.
Huh. Fair enough I guess.
He still didn't fight like Ridley though.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
I'd prefer not to use the pirates from the prime series, because each prime game has a different design and as such the pirate would be representing that game, and not the series itself. That's why I suggested the clawed Zebesians.
Plus they return in Other M.

Morbid stop using so many words, you are making me uncomfortable.
The pirates from the prime series are Zebesians, they just looked more ragged because they live a more off and on rough life.

And their multiple designs make them more unique, and would make the final smash more visually appealing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

please stop giving soulless ideas for potential ships pleaaaase
Well would you look at that, I wasn't thinking of that until you brought it up. :troll:

@ SmilingMad SmilingMad X @ Morbi Morbi ?

Also confirmed for a hardcore BDSM relationship.

@ SmilingMad SmilingMad claims he doesn't want the belt, but we all know he does...:awesome:

Although I will say @ SmilingMad SmilingMad , you're going to have some words with @WingedSnagret , I don't think he'll give up his S-Support with @ Morbi Morbi very easily. :p

But that's enough Non-Ridley shipping for right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
The pirates from the prime series are Zebesians, they just looked more ragged because they live a more off and on rough life.

And they're multiple designs make them more unique, and would make the final smash more visually appealing.
They...don't look more ragged. They are literally three entirely different designs. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but I believe that they are the wrong choice for a Space Pirate Raid because they do not represent the space pirates as well as the lobsteroids do.

Get it? Lob-steroid? Roidley?
Sorry I'll shut up.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I do not see any issue with one detracting Ridley and citing that they respect the canon variation of Ridley too much to subject him to Smash. As a Ganondorf main... I can feel their plight (not really though, I love Ganondorf in Smash).
If going against canon is such a big deal, might as well remove the majority of characters from the roster right now, because they all break their series' respective canons in some shape or form.

It's ridiculous that it only seems to be Metroid's and Ridley's canon that matters, whilst everything else is just brushed off and accepted. It's hypocrisy really.

Either care for canon applies to all franchises or none at all, not cherry-picking as people please because there are certain characters they don't like/want on the roster and use "canon" as a reason for non inclusion.

If being a boss matters for Ridley and prevents him from being on the roster, Bowser and Ganondorf should be removed.

Ganondorf more so because he has never been playable (before Hyrule Warriors, but that's a spin off and non-canon).

Bowser has that Giga form, one that has and never will appear in Mario titles (probably because it's too "scary" for the target age group).

If I wanted to fight Ridley as a boss and want to get into Metroid lore or canon, I'd go play Metroid games =/

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
If going against canon is such a big deal, might as well remove the majority of characters from the roster right now, because they all break their series' respective canons in some shape or form.

It's ridiculous that it only seems to be Metroid's and Ridley's canon that matters, whilst everything else is just brushed off and accepted. It's hypocrisy really.

Either care for canon applies to all franchises or none at all, not cherry-picking as people please because there are certain characters they don't like/want on the roster and use "canon" as a reason for non inclusion.

If being a boss matters for Ridley and prevents him from being on the roster, Bowser and Ganondorf should be removed.

Ganondorf more so because he has never been playable (before Hyrule Warriors, but that's a spin off and non-canon).

Bowser has that Giga form, one that has and never will appear in Mario titles (probably because it's too "scary" for the target age group).

If I wanted to fight Ridley as a boss and want to get into Metroid lore or canon, I'd go play Metroid games =/
Boom goes the Dynamite.

I hate that, "he wouldn't look as cool anymore" argument or "he can only be a boss". Miiverse quality stuff.

It's the same Ridley people, nothing has changed other than his size, and even then he would be the biggest member of the cast.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I would prefer the prime pirates to be in Ometa Ridley X just because I can't stand the hive minded zebesians.

Morbi

Scavenger

What is done cannot be changed; however, what has yet to happen might be changed. From that perspective, it is a perfectly rational to make such an assertion. It is not "hypocrisy" in the slightest. It is not a matter of "should be removed" it is a matter of "should not be included for THAT very same reason." In fact, it is more consistent than it is inconsistent.

Weavel

Smash Ace
They...don't look more ragged. They are literally three entirely different designs. Don't get me wrong, I like them, but I believe that they are the wrong choice for a Space Pirate Raid because they do not represent the space pirates as well as the lobsteroids do.

Get it? Lob-steroid? Roidley?
Sorry I'll shut up.
When I think space pirates I think about the ones in prime, the ones in prime have claws too but others have hands.

This is what mostly makes up their ranks.

I guess its always worth bringing up that they heavily modify each other, so they can look vastly different while still being the same species. Even this is a space pirate and he has claw hands due to modification.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Let's not forget that, up until Sm4sh, Bowser has been acting like a small kaiju, stomping around like a bloody dinosaur. Which isn't what he does in the games.

When I think space pirates I think about the ones in prime, the ones in prime have claws too but others have hands.

This is what mostly makes up their ranks.
Yes, but you've got to take into account that the lobster design has appeared in more games than any of the prime designs, not to mention that they also appeared in Other M, which Roidley stars in, who is probably the Ridley that is going to be playable.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

It's not as much of a bad thing as much as it is not Ridley / change.

It weirds me out that he's an incomplete clone where it would make sense...

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Shipping is so freaking stupid.

Especially for a Killer Space Dragon.

Shipping X anyone?

Morbi

Scavenger
Shipping is so freaking stupid.

Especially for a Killer Space Dragon.

Shipping X anyone?

I apologize; but now that we have Robin on the roster, it is inevitable. Ridley is going to be constantly paired up with the least likely characters after his reveal, probably Jigglypuff... if I had to make a wager.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I apologize; but now that we have Robin on the roster, it is inevitable. Ridley is going to be constantly paired up with the least likely characters after his reveal, probably Jigglypuff... if I had to make a wager.
I imagine that every ship ends up with both parties trying to kiss and Ridley inevitably chewing off the other's face.
Which improves all of these silly ships significantly I might add.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm quite sure the lot of people who believe Ridley to be inherently too powerful to be accurately represented in a Smash game hardly even play the Metroid games, only casually played one or two games and moved on, or are basing Ridley's strength on, ironically, what he did in Brawl, a non-canon game.

Nothing about Ridley's combative ability in battles with Samus ever implied some kind of immense strength or ability that would be deemed too much if replicated too faithfully in Smash. Tail whips, flying about, spitting flames... typical Ridley affair. Now there is Ridley's resilience in how he typically has to be taken down with loads of missiles and plasma. But that's typically because he's *the* penultimate boss of Metroid games. Additionally that's generally done for game design reasons and non-canonical reasons. Such things really don't need to be so accurately reflected in a game like Smash. Or any non-canon game for that matter.

Honestly it comes down to loud speaking short-sighted individuals. And this is a common problem among the Smash base. People don't analyze their words, consider available proofs and evidence, actually exercising critical thinking. They see or recall things in their head, act based off that, and run amok with self-formed conclusions, announcing their personal, emotion-fueled discoveries like gospel.

It's been said enough times, but there are plenty of characters and abilities that are not accurately represented according to their canon sources. And that's how it really needs to be. It's sensible design. If somebody's logic isn't coming from a mind that can comprehend sensible design, they shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
The Zebesian's from other M weren't sentient and were feral and were modifity by the galatic federation. True space pirate culture is heavily modified and not like the abominations in other M. They simply don't go by a single design because its inefficient, its why some have fingers to use so and so and some have kept their claws.

The actual Space pirates are more refined then the garbage test soldiers in other M.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's not as much of a bad thing as much as it is not Ridley / change.

It weirds me out that he's an incomplete clone where it would make sense...
Yeah, it seems really weird how they forgot to include any fire attack since not only it's the one thing Ridley is known for (being a freaking fire breathing darrgun) but also because they already borrowed from Dynablade.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley for smash pls
I understand that the model had to be down-sized for comedic purposes, but it is not funny because Ridley is much bigger than that.

I wish Ridley had some awesome goal. Whenever Ridley is reborn again in a game after fusion he should have some sort of galaxy domination plot or something
I am glad that he has no goal, that is what makes him interesting.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

The actual Space pirates are more refined then the garbage test soldiers in other M.
That design is awesome, but there was always something that bugged me about it...

Who the hell at the Engineer Bay thought that it would be a good idea to leave a potentially vital organ out in the open??

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
This is actually something I am working on right now. It'll be silly.

The Zebesian's from other M weren't sentient and were feral and were modifity by the galatic federation. True space pirate culture is heavily modified and not like the abominations in other M. They simply don't go by a single design because its inefficient, its why some have fingers to use so and so and some have kept their claws.

Yes, that's true, but the point is that the more refined pirates simply don't represent the series as well as the classic design.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I wish Ridley had some awesome goal. Whenever Ridley is reborn again in a game after fusion he should have some sort of galaxy domination plot or something
Supposedly Ridley does his own thing, having no true allegiance to anybody. There ought to be a Metroid where Ridley finally goes all out to enact some sort of scheme for his own personal gain. One where he's truly the ultimate threat and final boss, not a penultimate boss who's dealing out his Space Pirate troops like some sort of mercenary organization.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
That design is awesome, but there was always something that bugged me about it...

Who the hell at the Engineer Bay thought that it would be a good idea to leave a potentially vital organ out in the open??
The same person who decided to make a final boss's weakpoint a Giant, Glowing Eye.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I understand that the model had to be down-sized for comedic purposes, but it is not funny because Ridley is much bigger than that.

I am glad that he has no goal, that is what makes him interesting.
but he is super smart and Im pretty sure he left the space pirates, im very curious what it is he truly wants. Id personally like it if he was rebuilt with the ability of telepathy so he could possibly speak directly into your mind if he wanted.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

How do wear armour like that? I mean, it's kind of fused with its body. Also I'm pretty sure I'm seeing intestines there too what the hell.

He isn't exactly the space pirate leader though. Or, apparently, Mother Brain was. Hmmm.
I GUESS he could become the new leader then?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I dislike most of the Prime Space Pirate designs, especially the Prime 3 one where they made them into fish-men. The Prime 2 design is pretty cool, but I don't feel like it should be represented in Smash, that'd be a bit too random. SM and ZM Space Pirates are still my favorites, and I don't mind the design of the Other M pirates either.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
What is done cannot be changed; however, what has yet to happen might be changed. From that perspective, it is a perfectly rational to make such an assertion. It is not "hypocrisy" in the slightest. It is not a matter of "should be removed" it is a matter of "should not be included for THAT very same reason." In fact, it is more consistent than it is inconsistent.
You're trying too hard, just like Waluigi :troll: (Seriously Sakurai, that was a really harsh way to dis-confirm Waluigi, even if it wasn't your intent to be harsh).

With regards to a possible direct reveal, I think the earliest would be next week.

Whilst having an anniversary/anniversary week reveal would've been great, it seems really unlikely now.

Unless somehow a video thing gets announced suddenly, like Robin/Lucina's was, for this Friday/next week's Monday, but I doubt that will happen.

The only problem is: isn't next week the week that CoroCoro has that SSB content in it?

Morbi

Scavenger
You're trying too hard, just like Waluigi :troll: (Seriously Sakurai, that was a really harsh way to dis-confirm Waluigi, even if it wasn't your intent to be harsh).

With regards to a possible direct reveal, I think the earliest would be next week.

Whilst having an anniversary/anniversary week reveal would've been great, it seems really unlikely now.

Unless somehow a video thing gets announced suddenly, like Robin/Lucina's was, for this Friday/next week's Monday, but I doubt that will happen.

The only problem is: isn't next week the week that CoroCoro has that SSB content in it?
Trying too hard to discern fact and the reality of the situation? :smirk:

I suppose a Direct reveal is possible, but I am clinging to my Legend of Zelda straws.

CoroCoro is apparently going to tell us about Pyrosphere... or not. Probably not. It would be too easy for an unaffiliated party to accidentally confirm something not intended to be confirmed.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
He isn't exactly the space pirate leader though. Or, apparently, Mother Brain was. Hmmm.
I GUESS he could become the new leader then?
Nah, Ridley is canonically the leader of the Space Pirates. Mother Brain has jurisdiction over Planet Zebes (and by "jurisdiction" I mean literally controlling the place). Ridley has to defer to Mother Brain's command while on Zebes.

In the Metroid manga, at one point Ridley even defers to Grey Voice, a Chozo working with Mother Brain.

Top Bottom