• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Let me put it another way.

Assume for a minute that Ridley was never in Brawl. Then we see the teaser.

That would hype people. "OMG, Ridley's a stage boss! I wonder how he's going to fight. What sort of attacks will he use? Are we going to have to dodge the tail?" Etcetera. Yes, people would be upset that he wasn't playable, but there would still be hype around the boss.

Now, let's look at it in the context of following up from Brawl. Unwind your Ridley hype, and assume for a minute that we know, 100%, that he is not playable. Go look at the teaser.

Answer me: What's the point of teasing it? It wouldn't hype anyone for boss Ridley, because we've seen boss Ridley before. "Oh, yay, Ridley's back". That is the most you would get out of it. There's nothing in that tease to get excited about for boss Ridley. There's no new information to make us think he'd play differently. There's nothing to indicate that he'd be a positive stage addition.

If anything, it would un-hype the stage bosses. "Oh, so they're developing a couple of new ones, but most of them are probably just going to be recycled bosses from Subspace Emissary. I wonder what stage Rayquaza is going to show up on."

This tease, taken as just a tease for the boss version of Ridley, is not good marketing for the game. They would be better off not including it at all, and showing a handful of screens of a stage that would have a different, unique boss from any of the ones we encountered before. That would be teasing something new. That would be building hype.
Ah. Nice, very nice! Never thought of that.

I've seen that before, it looks like a placeholder image to avoid spoiling unlockable characters.

Metroid-X

Smash Rookie
Ridley's actually quite emaciated, but it would be weird if he were light weight.

Anyways, Ridley has my full support, though I would expect him to be a hidden character, so I would also expect that if he were in, we wouldn't know for a while.
I don't see anything wrong with Rildey being light weight, he's pretty skinny and it's hard to fly if you're heavy.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Ah. Nice, very nice! Never thought of that.

I've seen that before, it looks like a placeholder image to avoid spoiling unlockable characters.
Yeah sorry I kinda just thought about it since it puzzeled me when I was younger

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
If you look at it (especially in person), it's pretty clear that it's just a scratched out shape. There is no solid outline of a figure.
Ah, sorry then. I sold my copy of Melee a few years back to gain money to get a 3DS so I don't have the manual on me.

It looks a bit like Ridley's NES Sprite fleshed out and flipped to me...

Skyblade also said:
Imagine taking a black paintbrush and swiping it back and forth to conceal the fighter. That's what happened.
'Look guys, I made a fake character to throw them off."

Weavel

Smash Ace
Can anyone say with confidence that they fully believe Ridley is going to be a character?

I just can't bring myself to, there is WAY to much stuff going in both directions.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If you place Ridley on the ground on that picture, isn't Samus taller? I doubt Ridley would be floating for his idle. Just my thoughts, it's still a good comparison.

Nevermind, do you have the picture saved? I can't seem to find it on the thread and I want to look at it if you have it.
It just so happens that I have a few screenshots of my own saved onto my SD card of Super Samus vs Ridley. I'll get to uploading them when I get home later.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Can anyone say with confidence that they fully believe Ridley is going to be a character?

I just can't bring myself too, there is WAY to much stuff going in both directions.
I'm at about:

80% Chance
100% Want

Morbi

Scavenger

I just can't bring myself too, there is WAY to much stuff going in both directions.
Yes, I have one-hundred percent confidence in Ridley's chance. There is not even a subtle hint of doubt in my mind.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Warning Received
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malfeasance_in_office

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

I hate the mods.

"Don't spread this joke because I don't like it"

"We're doing this voulintarily, so you should be thankful"

And now:

"I'm locking this thread as a joke, lol"

It just goes to show what happens when people are given power and there are no repercussions in place for when they abuse it.
Some Mods are really cool, but at the same time, they can be jerks and assholes

Morbi

Scavenger
Hes got a 90% chance if you ask me
I suppose ten percent off is not so bad, you are closer than most people. :troll:

I honestly believe that he either has a zero percent chance, or a one-hundred percent chance. Anything in-between is arbitrary and subjective. It is common on these boards to attribute a perceived rating; however, it does Ridley no good, he is either in or out.
/pretentious lecture

Weavel

Smash Ace
Yes, I have one-hundred percent confidence in Ridley's chance. There is not even a subtle hint of doubt in my mind.
How are you so convinced though? I've been brain storming the evidence and I'm just so conflicted, even gaming channels are been split, some flat out saying he isn't playable while the other half is just hopeful.

What piece of evidence convinced you?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Have any of you guys thought about how sad it will be when Ridley becomes finally a playable character? I mean, yes, we'll get what we want, but all the Ridley jokes will disappear, and we'll have to look for another unlikely, allegedly too big character to fight for their appearance in the next Smash.
We will still be able to make those jokes and if K.Rool won't be confirmed, we will make too big jokes about him and in his case, he is BIG in more than 1 way.
What if Ridleys final smash is like a transformation one? Like he becomes meta ridley or omega ridley or something along those lines.
I will be disappointed and it wouldn't make any sense since he can't transform and roll out into something, unlike Bowser, Super Sonic (kinda), Ganondorf, etc. and he lacks anything that could make a good transformation final smash. So, i hope it is not transformation final smash and instead is either directional or trapping final smash.
He could just be moving so jerkily because that's how Sakurai pictures him. In Brawl, Ridley is portrayed as more of a mindless creature than an actual character. Sakurai portrayed him as just a dragon, but still an insane dragon.

Maybe Sakurai just sees Ridley as more mindless. It would explain the jerkiness.

Then why Ridley is calm in Brawl? Such animations would fit only Zant or Ridley-X. And Ridley already was said to be not so mindless in trophy descriptions.
Its also missing krystal
It's missing something.....oh, right.
Characters HE wants. So, he either forgot them or doesn't wants them. Either way, he said that those are characters he wants...so...i dunno...
Anyway, Krystal isn't one of the most requested characters or at least not on the same scale as Mewtwo, revamped Ganondorf, Ridley and K.Rool. In case of latter 2, she really isn't on the same scale because they are too f***ing big.

92.8% Chance. Does that counts? I have not much real evidence other than the fact that he is still not deconfirmed, unlike every other popular character who was disconfirmed instantly, as in on the same second that character was shown.
So what, he's most weak to Ice Climbers' attacks then?
Yes, and from electric and water attacks. And fire and indirect attacks deal reduced damage to Ridley. It is not very noticable though unless you are using character with fire attacks because it deals only half of the total damage. Meta Ridley is even weaker to ice and electric attacks than Ridley while not having indirect specials resistance.

Can this post be considered off-topic or what?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
How are you so convinced though? I've been brain storming the evidence and I'm just so conflicted, even gaming channels are been split, some flat out saying he isn't playable while the other half is just hopeful.

What piece of evidence convinced you?
No evidence has convinced me, good sir. Logic has convinced me, I do not speculate in regards to "evidence," I never blatantly disregard evidence, but I have to essentially delude myself into believing that the character is in the game to support them. After that, I assign them into categories such as: likely based on the preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not), beyond a reasonable doubt, or "shoe-in." Ridley is shoe-in. My perspective is ENTIRELY based on the April Direct's presentation. I do not read into that shadow analysis non-sense; albeit, it does help.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In the cutscenes, I meant to say.

He still has fluid animations here and doesn't looks that mindless. Kinda wish he would do more than just slam her once and then clean that wall with her face. And maybe kill Pikachu in a cruel and painful way, with more than enough blood, but hey, not many would like that and not everyone is like me...i hate violence against animals in case that post sounds weird...

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
He still has fluid animations here and doesn't looks that mindless. Kinda wish he would do more than just slam her once and then clean that wall with her face.

Just that roar is what gets me.

Some Mods are really cool, but at the same time, they can be jerks and *******s
I think you might be 400 pages late to that conversation...

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I will be disappointed and it wouldn't make any sense since he can't transform and roll out into something, unlike Bowser, Super Sonic (kinda), Ganondorf, etc. and he lacks anything that could make a good transformation final smash. So, i hope it is not transformation final smash and instead is either directional or trapping final smash.
Well, Giga Bowser was created specifically for Smash.
That said, I don't really believe Ridley will get a Giga Ridley final smash, no matter how funny the increase in size may be.

In the cutscenes, I meant to say.

The way he grabs his head after being hit in that cutscene makes him seem way more intelligent than beasts.

Well if I were a giant flying reptile I would roar all the time regardless of my intelligence.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
That said, I don't really believe Ridley will get a Giga Ridley final smash, no matter how funny the increase in size may be.

The way he grabs his head after being hit in that cutscene makes him seem way more intelligent than beasts.

Well if I were a giant flying reptile I would roar all the time regardless of my intelligence.
Mecha Ridley final smash? Or he calls Kraid to attack the stage?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Maybe it's just me, just all of the moves he makes in that cutscene seem all too...instinctive? Is that a good word for it?

It's a mix of that and the constant delusional look in his eye. His movements are too stereotypical dragon-y (flying out of sidescreen, slamming body against people, the glider-like wing movements).

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Humans yell and scream too, but they are considered to be intelligent. Unless they are toobigots or live close to my house. Bowser roars too, but he is still intelligent. Rayquaza roars too, but it is int- you`ve got the point. If he would instead laugh while slamming Samus into the wall few times, THEN it would make him look more mindless. Or if he would try to bite her. Like most carnivorous reptiles like crocodiles and snakes do when they can.
Also, in his Meta Ridley fight, he mostly tries to take you off-screen instead of just trying to knock you out like every other boss, which means he knows that it won't help him much.
I know. Still, it is something he could do because he can use magic...according to manual and maybe Super Mario 64.
Mecha Ridley final smash? Or he calls Kraid to attack the stage?
It won't work well too because:
  1. Kraid will not fit in some of the stages or will be useless on most medium/large stages, having small range and lacking any strong projectiles to be useful while Mecha Ridley is too small for most stages and he can't even fly unless it is that Robot Ridley from Nintendo Land. Then, he is even smaller. If you will replace those 2 with any other Metroid characters, it won't change much.
  2. Why the f*** do they suddenly appear? In case of DDD, it isn't really serious character and it definidely isn't from a realistic franchise, so, that doesn't counts.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just me, just all of the moves he makes in that cutscene seem all too...instinctive? Is that a good word for it?

It's a mix of that and the constant delusional look in his eye. His movements are too stereotypical dragon-y (flying out of sidescreen, slamming body against people, the glider-like wing movements).
Yeah, I don't like his constant wide-open gaze either. However, you have to consider he fights with no weapons, so fighting like a dragon is pretty much all he could do.

Actually no, he fought like a Dynablade.

No id be scared ****less if he called in that spider thing from metroid fusion that thing scared the living crap out of me

Nyehehe! I'm coming for you ghastmine!

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Yeah, I don't like his constant wide-open gaze either. However, you have to consider he fights with no weapons, so fighting like a dragon is pretty much all he could do.

well the rattling noise sounded so scary also a its a ****ing spider and huge one

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
This is something that I can't stand about, surprise, detractors who simply don't want him in the game. They complain that Ridley is/looks mindless and just a wild monster, that only knows to attack Samus violently or roar at her.
OK, what the **** is he suppossed to do? Are they expecting him to do an evil laughter and say "ah, so you want to stop the mighty pirates... how amusing!"? I agree that Nintendo hasn't done much with his characterization, but unless they go full manga, I don't think he is the kind of villain to give expository monologues before a boss fight...

Weavel

Smash Ace
Humans yell and scream too, but they are considered to be intelligent. Unless they are toobigots or live close to my house. Bowser roars too, but he is still intelligent. Rayquaza roars too, but it is int- you`ve got the point. If he would instead laugh while slamming Samus into the wall few times, THEN it would make him look more mindless. Or if he would try to bite her. Like most carnivorous reptiles like crocodiles and snakes do when they can.
Also, in his Meta Ridley fight, he mostly tries to take you off-screen instead of just trying to knock you out like every other boss, which means he knows that it won't help him much.

I know. Still, it is something he could do because he can use magic...according to manual and maybe Super Mario 64.

It won't work well too because:
  1. Kraid will not fit in some of the stages or will be useless on most medium/large stages, having small range and lacking any strong projectiles to be useful while Mecha Ridley is too small for most stages and he can't even fly unless it is that Robot Ridley from Nintendo Land. Then, he is even smaller. If you will replace those 2 with any other Metroid characters, it won't change much.
  2. Why the f*** do they suddenly appear? In case of DDD, it isn't really serious character and it definidely isn't from a realistic franchise, so, that doesn't counts.
Mecha Ridley would be to small? Are we having some mis communication here?

And maybe for the kraid thing, the final smash sends them to a different scary location and kraid is in the back ground attacking them.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
This is something that I can't stand about, surprise, detractors who simply don't want him in the game. They complain that Ridley is/looks mindless and just a wild monster, that only knows to attack Samus violently or roar at her.
OK, what the **** is he suppossed to do? Are they expecting him to do an evil laughter and say "ah, so you want to stop the mighty pirates... how amusing!"? I agree that Nintendo hasn't done much with his characterization, but unless they go full manga, I don't think he is the kind of villain to give expository monologues before a boss fight...
It's speculated that Ridley and the Space Pirates' language is based around grunts and other odd noises. When Ridley talks to Pirates in the manga it's just their language being translated. He doesn't speak English.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice

And maybe for the kraid thing, the final smash sends them to a different scary location and kraid is in the back ground attacking them.
What if it is like the megaman final smash and it sends them to an alternate universe where every ridley joins together and destroys the opponent?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I would have prefered if the regular Ridley fight was Dynablade (like it was originally planned) and then have the Meta-Ridley fight be Ridley. Or work regular Ridley in there somehow else.

This just doesn't feel like Ridley:

It feels like Dynablade. Most of the attacks are recycles of Dynablade's fight:

This does feel like Ridley, though:

Okay, maybe mindless wasn't the best word here. Maybe instinctive or primitive would have been better, though they don't seem to get the message across as well. I understand biting, but laughing is where I started to feel that mindless was the wrong word. If he could laugh slamming Samus that wouldn't feel right. Maybe emotionless would work.

Meta-Ridley fight feels fine to me, it's just the initial fight that seems too un-Ridley to be mapped to Ridley. They should have stuck with Dynablade for that one.

Weavel

Smash Ace
What if it is like the megaman final smash and it sends them to an alternate universe where every ridley joins together and destroys the opponent?
O god no! The megamans are mostly from different eras or spin offs, while all of RIdley's forms are from the same era from him getting beat up, and the Ridley from other M is a clone.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Pfft. Here is something better:

Imagine having that in Metroid Prime.
IMO, Ridley and Nightmare look creepier than Yakuza.
And there is something we all saw...or at least most of us...anyway:

He is barely bigger than Meta Ridley from Prime 3 and has s**t range unless he uses missiles and eye lasers, but that is boring and it wouldn't really help. Also, he is connected to something already, so, his cables would need to be connected to something...but what could it be on Final Destination? Imagine having him on Hyrule Temple. If it is Robot Ridley from Nintendoland, then he is even smaller.

Why and how they teleport there would be a question then.
It's speculated that Ridley and the Space Pirates' language is based around grunts and other odd noises. When Ridley talks to Pirates in the manga it's just their language being translated. He doesn't speak English.
That is exactly what i am thinking about that. And that Ridley in games is just really f***ing busy fighting with Samus to talk and it would make him MORE vulnerable since shooting him in the mouth through Lethal Strike deals more damage in Metroid Other M than just shooting him.
I wouldn't mind hearing him laugh and if it would be done well, i would like it.
Okay, maybe mindless wasn't the best word here. Maybe instinctive or primitive would have been better, though they don't seem to get the message across as well. I understand biting, but laughing is where I started to feel that mindless was the wrong word. If he could laugh slamming Samus that wouldn't feel right. Maybe emotionless would work.
"Emotionless" still doesn't really works too. He does looks angry after getting hit by Pikachu's Thunder attack. But it works better than just "mindless" or "instinctive/primitive". Anyway, he is nearly exactly same as he is in Metroid games - doesn't talks, fights Samus without taunting or anything unnecessary, etc. But they decied to give him big eyes and remain with opened eyes for entire fight. In Other M, it can be explained by nictitating membranes covering his eyes. In such case, it is unnecessary or impossible to blink.
Maybe i failed to understand last part of your post.

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I would have prefered if the regular Ridley fight was Dynablade (like it was originally planned) and then have the Meta-Ridley fight be Ridley. Or work regular Ridley in there somehow else.

This just doesn't feel like Ridley:
Well. Compare that to the end of the same cutscene after he hits the ground and stands up, shaking his head. He seems like Ridley there.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I went and looked at melees guide and when it mentions challenger approaching theres a a character that never appeared In game. (The shiloute doesnt resemble any character in melee)
Do you have a picture to confirm this? I'd love to know who Sakurai intended for melee besides the purple space dragon that is sometimes the topic here (I heard they ended up cutting him because they couldn't get his tail working properly, but I can't confirm it to be true)
Edit: :4greninja:'d, guess I should read the entire page first

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Pfft. Here is something better:

Imagine having that in Metroid Prime.
IMO, Ridley and Nightmare look creepier than Yakuza.
And there is something we all saw...or at least most of us...anyway:

He is barely bigger than Meta Ridley from Prime 3 and has s**t range unless he uses missiles and eye lasers, but that is boring and it wouldn't really help. Also, he is connected to something already, so, his cables would need to be connected to something...but what could it be on Final Destination? Imagine having him on Hyrule Temple. If it is Robot Ridley from Nintendoland, then he is even smaller.

Why and how they teleport there would be a question then.

That is exactly what i am thinking about that. And that Ridley in games is just really f***ing busy fighting with Samus to talk and it would make him MORE vulnerable since shooting him in the mouth through Lethal Strike deals more damage in Metroid Other M than just shooting him.
I wouldn't mind hearing him laugh and if it would be done well, i would like it.
I never got to nightmare (he isnt that creepy) and how is ridley scary

Exegguter

Smash Lord
I suppose ten percent off is not so bad, you are closer than most people. :troll:

I honestly believe that he either has a zero percent chance, or a one-hundred percent chance. Anything in-between is arbitrary and subjective. It is common on these boards to attribute a perceived rating; however, it does Ridley no good, he is either in or out.
/pretentious lecture
Oh silly Morbidaltruism. That's still 50% which means your bet is subjective and arbitrary. It is common on these boards to attribute a perceived rating though; however, it does Ridley no good, he is either in or out!

Top Bottom