• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
No? He says to make sure to watch them in the potd's the day of, Nintendo always announces them first a day beforehand.
The SSB4 Direct was hinted early by Sakurai on the Isabelle PotD.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Have any of you guys thought about how sad it will be when Ridley becomes finally a playable character? I mean, yes, we'll get what we want, but all the Ridley jokes will disappear, and we'll have to look for another unlikely, allegedly too big character to fight for their appearance in the next Smash.

Too many things against him being a boss. Too many things.
If krystal doesn't make it there and geno not to mention

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Another point against the stage boss thing that I haven't heard brought up yet:

Stage Boss Ridley would have been revealed already. Not just to stop fake hype (though that is certainly the reason), but because he is nothing new. We've seen boss Ridley before. We've fought him before. Implementing him on a new stage is nothing revolutionary. If he were to be another boss, we would likely just have gotten a Pic of the Day of him. Likely in his Other M form.

"Ridley may have been defeated in Brawl, but his clone is here to pick up the slack!"

Or something like that. There's no reason to TEASE something that we would have already seen fully functional.
Well, let's see.

First of all, are you referring to Brawley? Brawley didn't fight like Ridley, at all. If he were to be a boss, I assume that this time around they would stay more true to the franchise (considering Yellow Devil is doing exactly that).

Now, indeed it's weird that they haven't shown Ridley yet. An argument for Bossley was that he simply wasn't ready yet: his jerky animations would be proof of that, and him not attacking Pikachu could indicate a WIP AI. However, why tease him in a Direct then? Sakurai dislikes false hype, and if Sakurai is aware of Little Mac enough to put him in the game, he sure as hell knows about Ridley and the meme-spawning controversy surrounding him. Not only that, but if he truly is a boss, why not just show him off in a PotD? His visual assets should have been finished by now, hell, we saw his tail was textured so the rest of him probably was too. Why no pictures?

Another silly argument was that Sakurai would keep him secret to make the reveal less painful. Which is pretty much grasping straws with your eyes closed and instead getting bitten by a rogue duck or something, because the logic is completely backwards and conflicts with Sakurai's view on hyping things up.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So, um, is that all size comparisons that have been made here? Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, this is a serious question.
All that either bring up good points/look good, or do a successful job of showing how differing sizes could work. Honestly, I like the Shadow guesstimated size, but I've always doubted that any measures done off of shadows alone would be completely accurate.

Off the top of my head, my favorite comparison was Brawl Ridley compared to Samus with a Super Mushroom. It just looked and felt right.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Sakurai dislikes false hype, and if Sakurai is aware of Little Mac enough to put him in the game, he sure as hell knows about Ridley and the meme-spawning controversy surrounding him.
If Sakurai truly did dislike fake hype, then Ridley would be confirmed a boss. No reason to give players this fake hype that Ridley had a chance to be playable when he'd already been hyped as a boss, correct? Is that logic not sound? The fact of the matter is that Sakurai might have said that he dislikes fake hype, but that doesn't mean he meant what he said. It doesn't mean he didn't mean what he said, but it doesn't mean he did mean it. Catch my drift?

Sakurai has been dancing around it for too long, it's painfully obvious that Ridley is playable at this point. I just wish that he'd come out and say it already. My hype has already been subdued because of how painfully obvious it is, so unless he can pull off a trick reveal trailer, I genuinely won't have as much hype as I would have 2 months ago.

Off the top of my head, my favorite comparison was Brawl Ridley compared to Samus with a Super Mushroom. It just looked and felt right.
If you place Ridley on the ground on that picture, isn't Samus taller? I doubt Ridley would be floating for his idle. Just my thoughts, it's still a good comparison.

Nevermind, do you have the picture saved? I can't seem to find it on the thread and I want to look at it if you have it.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
All that either bring up good points/look good, or do a successful job of showing how differing sizes could work. Honestly, I like the Shadow guesstimated size, but I've always doubted that any measures done off of shadows alone would be completely accurate.
I've tried a tail comparison, but of course the distance of the tail to the middle and then how much it is magnified....
Let's just say I've never been brilliant at physics. But I did guesstimate that the tail is smaller than samus, which at the very least means that his model has been downscaled.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
So I noticed that in the Smash Bros. direct, it appears that Ridley's shadow shows that he remains stationary in the air for a while. Are we assuming that he has some hover ability or....

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So I noticed that in the Smash Bros. direct, it appears that Ridley's shadow shows that he remains stationary in the air for a while. Are we assuming that he has some hover ability or....
Yeah, we've toyed around with hovering, and even a special new flying mechanic for him.

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
If Sakurai truly did dislike fake hype, then Ridley would be confirmed a boss. No reason to give players this fake hype that Ridley had a chance to be playable when he'd already been hyped as a boss, correct? Is that logic not sound? The fact of the matter is that Sakurai might have said that he dislikes fake hype, but that doesn't mean he meant what he said. It doesn't mean he didn't mean what he said, but it doesn't mean he did mean it. Catch my drift?

Sakurai has been dancing around it for too long, it's painfully obvious that Ridley is playable at this point. I just wish that he'd come out and say it already. My hype has already been subdued because of how painfully obvious it is, so unless he can pull off a trick reveal trailer, I genuinely won't have as much hype as I would have 2 months ago.
yah, the only other plausible explanation for the amount of teasing without actually planning on including playable Ridley is that Sakurai is so out of touch with the Ridley fanbase that he actually thinks Ridley as a stage boss is exciting for the fans and worth hyping. I hope that isn't the case.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
yah, the only other plausible explanation for the amount of teasing without actually planning on including playable Ridley is that Sakurai is so out of touch with the Ridley fanbase that he actually thinks Ridley as a stage boss is exciting for the fans and worth hyping. I hope that isn't the case.
Nah. Sakurai found Little Mac's fanbase, which was totally nonexistent in Japan and apparently pretty big in the west. He should be able to find the fanbase of pretty much the most controversial character requested, not to mention one of the most requested characters and one requested since Melee.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So, I edited out the models of Samus and Ridley from that screenshot...

Ridley is flying, so this is not his ground height. Logically, he'd be shorter than this on the ground because as I've said before when you're in the air, your wings expand and your legs drop.

So this basically puts them at around the same height. I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Weavel

Smash Ace
I've read that his shadow is very shaky and unrefined for a boss character, so here's hoping.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Nah. Sakurai found Little Mac's fanbase, which was totally nonexistent in Japan and apparently pretty big in the west. He should be able to find the fanbase of pretty much the most controversial character requested, not to mention one of the most requested characters and one requested since Melee.
From the metroid verse anyways..

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I've read that his shadow is very shaky and unrefined for a boss character, so here's hoping.
Yeah, he does appear to move too erratically for a boss, but I thought it was interesting how he remains idle in the air for quite a while.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
From the metroid verse anyways..
Still, one of the most wanted, at the very least still one of the most controversial. He even spawned a bloody meme.

It wasn't really shaky or anything. The animations weren't smooth as in they didn't smoothly transition into each other, unlike other bosses. He abruptly jumped from the floating animation to the flying animation.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Yeah, he does appear to move too erratically for a boss, but I thought it was interesting how he remains idle in the air for quite a while.
There is so many things going both ways that it just stresses you the **** out, I need a good distraction.

Weavel

Smash Ace
Maybe Sakurai has changed... Maybe he likes torturing fans with highly requested characters now..

Did he lose someone recently? Is he taking out his unresolved anger out on us?

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
I went and looked at melees guide and when it mentions challenger approaching theres a a character that never appeared In game. (The shiloute doesnt resemble any character in melee)

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
He could just be moving so jerkily because that's how Sakurai pictures him. In Brawl, Ridley is portrayed as more of a mindless creature than an actual character. Sakurai portrayed him as just a dragon, but still an insane dragon.

Maybe Sakurai just sees Ridley as more mindless. It would explain the jerkiness.

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
As far as we know, shadows are static in Sm4sh, so Ridley very well could just be multijumping vertically, like Kirby or Jigglypuff. Still...there's just something off about this whole thing.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
He could just be moving so jerkily because that's how Sakurai pictures him. In Brawl, Ridley is portrayed as more of a mindless creature than an actual character. Sakurai portrayed him as just a dragon, but still an insane dragon.

Maybe Sakurai just sees Ridley as more mindless. It would explain the jerkiness.

Like I said, it's not the jerkiness. The floating animation jumps into the flying animation with no form of transition whatsoever.

Maybe Sakurai has changed... Maybe he likes torturing fans with highly requested characters now..

Alienating parts of your fanbase is usually not considered to be good for business.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Well, let's see.

First of all, are you referring to Brawley? Brawley didn't fight like Ridley, at all. If he were to be a boss, I assume that this time around they would stay more true to the franchise (considering Yellow Devil is doing exactly that).

Now, indeed it's weird that they haven't shown Ridley yet. An argument for Bossley was that he simply wasn't ready yet: his jerky animations would be proof of that, and him not attacking Pikachu could indicate a WIP AI. However, why tease him in a Direct then? Sakurai dislikes false hype, and if Sakurai is aware of Little Mac enough to put him in the game, he sure as hell knows about Ridley and the meme-spawning controversy surrounding him. Not only that, but if he truly is a boss, why not just show him off in a PotD? His visual assets should have been finished by now, hell, we saw his tail was textured so the rest of him probably was too. Why no pictures?

Another silly argument was that Sakurai would keep him secret to make the reveal less painful. Which is pretty much grasping straws with your eyes closed and instead getting bitten by a rogue duck or something, because the logic is completely backwards and conflicts with Sakurai's view on hyping things up.
Let me put it another way.

Assume for a minute that Ridley was never in Brawl. Then we see the teaser.

That would hype people. "OMG, Ridley's a stage boss! I wonder how he's going to fight. What sort of attacks will he use? Are we going to have to dodge the tail?" Etcetera. Yes, people would be upset that he wasn't playable, but there would still be hype around the boss.

Now, let's look at it in the context of following up from Brawl. Unwind your Ridley hype, and assume for a minute that we know, 100%, that he is not playable. Go look at the teaser.

Answer me: What's the point of teasing it? It wouldn't hype anyone for boss Ridley, because we've seen boss Ridley before. "Oh, yay, Ridley's back". That is the most you would get out of it. There's nothing in that tease to get excited about for boss Ridley. There's no new information to make us think he'd play differently. There's nothing to indicate that he'd be a positive stage addition.

If anything, it would un-hype the stage bosses. "Oh, so they're developing a couple of new ones, but most of them are probably just going to be recycled bosses from Subspace Emissary. I wonder what stage Rayquaza is going to show up on."

This tease, taken as just a tease for the boss version of Ridley, is not good marketing for the game. They would be better off not including it at all, and showing a handful of screens of a stage that would have a different, unique boss from any of the ones we encountered before. That would be teasing something new. That would be building hype.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace

I would expect Sakurai to treat Ridley more with the respect he deserves, he should know better that Ridley is not a mindless monster.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I went and looked at melees guide and when it mentions challenger approaching theres a a character that never appeared In game. (The shiloute doesnt resemble any character in melee)
Picture?

Well he did lose another year of his life recently.

And by that I mean he had a birthday.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
Just a little something I put together of the characters I want in the game.

I would expect Sakurai to treat Ridley more with the respect he deserves, he should know better that Ridley is not a mindless monster.
Especially considering his trophy descriptions.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
you didn't see that thing up here

Hmm, strange. It kinda looks like RIdley's NES Sprite, not sure why that would be in there, though...
If you look at it (especially in person), it's pretty clear that it's just a scratched out shape. There is no solid outline of a figure. Imagine taking a black paintbrush and swiping it back and forth to conceal the fighter. That's what happened.

Last edited:
Top Bottom