• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
You're trying too hard, just like Waluigi :troll: (Seriously Sakurai, that was a really harsh way to dis-confirm Waluigi, even if it wasn't your intent to be harsh).

With regards to a possible direct reveal, I think the earliest would be next week.

Whilst having an anniversary/anniversary week reveal would've been great, it seems really unlikely now.

Unless somehow a video thing gets announced suddenly, like Robin/Lucina's was, for this Friday/next week's Monday, but I doubt that will happen.

The only problem is: isn't next week the week that CoroCoro has that SSB content in it?
Gamescom is the 13th through 17th I think will get two characters (kinda like e3 except one less)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
CoroCoro is apparently going to tell us about Pyrosphere... or not. Probably not. It would be too easy for an unaffiliated party to accidentally confirm something not intended to be confirmed.
I'm fairly certain they're just going to drop a little tease or note, something akin to "This place was the site of an intense battle in Metroid Other M, it's rumored that Samus' enemy is still around somewhere," no way Sakurai is going to let them spill the beans on anything that's unconfirmed, I can imagine he has a lot of control over what gets into this issue of CoroCoro and what doesn't.

Btw, when is it that CoroCoro is supposed to release?

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
I'm fairly certain they're just going to drop a little tease or note, something akin to "This place was the site of an intense battle in Metroid Other M, it's rumored that Samus' enemy is still around somewhere," no way Sakurai is going to let them spill the beans on anything that's unconfirmed, I can imagine he has a lot of control over what gets into this issue of CoroCoro and what doesn't.

Who cares about corocoro when you got gamescom

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Can anyone say with confidence that they fully believe Ridley is going to be a character?

I just can't bring myself to, there is WAY to much stuff going in both directions.
You're not alone there. :\ Will likely remain that way no matter how much more optimistic others get.

It's speculated that Ridley and the Space Pirates' language is based around grunts and other odd noises. When Ridley talks to Pirates in the manga it's just their language being translated. He doesn't speak English.
Wouldn't explain how Samus understands what he says in the manga though.. unless she somehow spoke his native tongue as an alternate language, even as a little girl.

The Zebesian's from other M weren't sentient and were feral and were modifity by the galatic federation. True space pirate culture is heavily modified and not like the abominations in other M. They simply don't go by a single design because its inefficient, its why some have fingers to use so and so and some have kept their claws.

The actual Space pirates are more refined then the garbage test soldiers in other M.
Where is that last pirate design from? I'm guess Prime 3 because it looks Phazonish, but I don't quite remember it from even that.

Morbi

Scavenger

Apparently it is supposed to be released on the 12th of August, my birthday, so expect Ridley.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
The 12th, it would seem. It may take longer for that stuff to be posted online, though.

EDIT: Well, damn.:4greninja:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The 12th, it would seem. It may take longer for that stuff to be posted, though.
Nah, CoroCoro always leaks days in advance, we're going to get it earlier as usual. So since it's supposed to be out 12th we're probably going to see it around 9th-11th.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Trying too hard to discern fact and the reality of the situation? :smirk:

I suppose a Direct reveal is possible, but I am clinging to my Legend of Zelda straws.

CoroCoro is apparently going to tell us about Pyrosphere... or not. Probably not. It would be too easy for an unaffiliated party to accidentally confirm something not intended to be confirmed.
Oh you :awesome:

Yeah, the unintentional reveal is something I fear would happen, especially if it's not nice news.

Still, it's possible that they'd not mention Ridley, either because they just use what has been said and 100% confirmed, and/or because Sakurai/Nintendo doesn't clarify anything and perhaps won't tell them.

Gamescom is the 13th through 17th I think will get two characters (kinda like e3 except one less)
Nintendo hates Europe, so I doubt they'd even to care about revealing at/around an event like that.

If there really is a reveal next week, it's likely that it was already planned a while ago and the fact that Gamescom so happens to be in the same week is just convenient.

I'd love to be wrong and there'd be one great hype reveal at Gamescom, but... lol Nintendo actually caring about SSB/overall Gamescom hype.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Nah, CoroCoro always leaks days in advance, we're going to get it earlier as usual. So since it's supposed to be out 12th we're probably going to see it around 9th-11th.
Yeah, but doesn't it usually take a few days for everything to get translated and posted, or is that just where I usually get my leak info?

You did ask for the release, though...

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
You're not alone there. :\ Will likely remain that way no matter how much more optimistic others get.

Wouldn't explain how Samus understands what he says in the manga though.. unless she somehow spoke his native tongue as an alternate language, even as a little girl.

Where is that last pirate design from? I'm guess Prime 3 because it looks Phazonish, but I don't quite remember it from even that.
I get it now!
Samus's pain grunts are not pain grunts, she's just swearing in pirate tongue!
Also, judging from the shoulder bits and general head shape, it looks like the MP1 space pirate. It's either concept or fanart because it doesn't seem to appear in the game.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Oh you :awesome:

Yeah, the unintentional reveal is something I fear would happen, especially if it's not nice news.

Still, it's possible that they'd not mention Ridley, either because they just use what has been said and 100% confirmed, and/or because Sakurai/Nintendo doesn't clarify anything and perhaps won't tell them.

Nintendo hates Europe, so I doubt they'd even to care about revealing at/around an event like that.

If there really is a reveal next week, it's likely that it was already planned a while ago and the fact that Gamescom so happens to be in the same week is just convenient.

I'd love to be wrong and there'd be one great hype reveal at Gamescom, but... lol Nintendo actually caring about SSB/overall Gamescom hype.
I hope I wake up tommrow to you guys yelling and cussing ridley and krystal where confirmed

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Personally I dislike most of the Prime Space Pirate designs, especially the Prime 3 one where they made them into fish-men. The Prime 2 design is pretty cool, but I don't feel like it should be represented in Smash, that'd be a bit too random. SM and ZM Space Pirates are still my favorites, and I don't mind the design of the Other M pirates either.
They do know how to dance, though.

Check out them sick moves.

I hope I wake up tommrow to you guys yelling and cussing ridley and krystal where confirmed
You mean if they end up being revealed at the same time? Highly unlikely. Mainly cuz Krystal ain't happning huehuehue.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Corruption has so many disturbing things about the pirates themselves.

First there are the basic Militia

Look at this poor guy, he has no limbs, he is just a torso and a head. And is not like these ones wanted to be soldiers, they are criminals and this is their punishment.

And my personal favorite

The Cargo Drone:

This guy doesn't even get to fight, he is just a mindless cyborg carring supplies around the landing sites, completely helpless and harmless.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
They do know how to dance, though.

Check out them sick moves.

You mean if they end up being revealed at the same time? Highly unlikely. Mainly cuz Krystal ain't happning huehuehue.
Hey Krystal is going to happen star fox characters have one new one each game,shes a female and she'd likely be a fan favorite

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Look at this poor guy, he has no limbs, he is just a torso and a head. And is not like these ones wanted to be soldiers, they are criminals and this is their punishment.
Umm, I see limbs there? Am I missing something here? I never played Corruption so forgive me...

Anyway, let's talk Ridley colors / costumes. What do you think they're going to be?

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781

And my personal favorite

The Cargo Drone:

This guy doesn't even get to fight, he is just a mindless cyborg carring supplies around the landing sites, completely helpless and harmless.
Wait, they're criminals even by space pirate standards?
I really can't say I feel sorry for them in that case
Umm, I see limbs there? Am I missing something here? I never played Corruption so forgive me...

Anyway, let's talk Ridley colors / costumes. What do you think they're going to be?
The things themselves don't actually have limbs, those are robotic limbs you're seeing

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
This is actually something I am working on right now. It'll be silly.

Yes, that's true, but the point is that the more refined pirates simply don't represent the series as well as the classic design.
That is subjective, you are going for the old school design representing the old side scrolling days.

I like the new design far more just because it comes in so many different flavors then just meh.

And depending on which Ridley gets in would determine what version of space pirates help him, if its the one from other m I think we're at a loss because I don't think he can employ them.

I also rather just forget other m, the game was horrendous and could have been so much more.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
Corruption disturbing? Play fusion yakuza and nightmare has to be some of the scariest **** in a metroid game

Zem-raj

Smash Hero

Colours
Default Other M purple.
Super Metroid (box art) red (Red Team).
Fusion blue with purple wings (Blue Team).
Zero Mission green (Green Team).
Retro Pale/Brawl Purple OR Super Metroid colour scheme.
Meta/Robo Grey with yellow wings.

(I'm pretty sure someone posted the set already)

Alt costume(s)
Meta Ridley

I don't think there'd be anything else really.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Corruption disturbing? Play fusion yakuza and nightmare has to be some of the scariest **** in a metroid game
Its not that Corruption is scary... Just the creepy things the pirates do to their own kind as documented in their logs.

Wait, they're criminals even by space pirate standards?
I really can't say I feel sorry for them in that case
Well, the scan visor says so:
"The pirates have not enhanced all of their fighting forces. They continue to use militia units in battle. These groups are made up of slaves and criminals, and do not receive the Phazon enhancements given to regular army troopers. They are surprising obedient to the upper castes within the pirate military. Rumor has it that disobedient militia members often find themselves as dinner for regular army troopers."
"Members of the Armored Pirate Militia have been granted lightweight armorsuits for combat use. While this provides some additional resistance to Beam weapons, they are still vulnerable to explosive attacks. Members of the Armored Pirate Militia are mostly inept soldiers who have yet to die in combat."

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

And my personal favorite

The Cargo Drone:

It's also rumored that rebelious Militia get eaten by higher ranking pirates.

Either Pirates are cannibals or they refer to Ridley. I mean, it's slightly less disturbing to imagine the disobedient slaves being eaten by a dragon than by a member of its own species.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, but doesn't it usually take a few days for everything to get translated and posted, or is that just where I usually get my leak info?

You did ask for the release, though...
Yeah, sorry if I came off as if I don't appreciate your post, thanks for the info.

Usually the Pokémon stuff gets translated asap, depending on how much Smash info there's in the issue I'm sure we're going to have a translation as soon as possible. Anyways, as far as Ridley is concerned if there's anything noteworthy regarding him, like if he's a stage hazard, I'm sure there'll be a picture of him, otherwise we're probably not getting anything out of it in regards to Ridley.

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
It's also rumored that rebelious Militia get eaten by higher ranking pirates.

Either Pirates are cannibals or they refer to Ridley. I mean, it's slightly less disturbing to imagine the disobedient slaves being eaten by a dragon than by a member of its own species.
Yeah just wait until someone makes a ytp and Patrick goes flying into ridleys mouth....wait wtf...

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Found this in the "Official Character Palette Swap Thread":

Not really for the contest... Just contributing to the topic :)

Top-left: Ridley (Other M)
Top-middle: Ridley (Metroid artwork) [Red]
Top-right: Neo-Ridley (Metroid Fusion) [Blue]
Bottom-left: Metroid Queen (Metroid) [Green]
Bottom-middle: Ridley (Zero Mission)
Bottom-right: Meta Ridley (Metroid Prime)
*drools* I'd be happy with all those. That Black and red one though, man... it's awesome O_o

Last edited:

Nintendicted

Smash Cadet
Really guys? 20 minutes without a post? What are we, any other support thread?

I'm too impatient...

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
So is anyone else just kind of sitting around and waiting for that tell-tale tweet from Nintendo about a general direct? I don't think I'm going to rest peacefully until our faithful August direct rolls around :p I need my Metroid/Ridley fix.

Really guys? 20 minutes without a post? What are we, any other support thread?
I'm too impatient...
The calm before the storm.

Morbi

Scavenger
So is anyone else just kind of sitting around and waiting for that tell-tale tweet from Nintendo about a general direct? I don't think I'm going to rest peacefully until our faithful August direct rolls around :p I need my Metroid/Ridley fix.

The calm before the storm.
No. I am not waiting for the Direct, it will come when it comes. No use waiting for it to happen. I mean, we have tried that before, have we not? For over a decade? Eh? Eh? No? Okay.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I also hope for Ridley, yes. He is also one of my most wanted characters, yes. Replace Krystal with Dark Pit and we have ourselves a deal.
Playable-Wise (Meaning I'd main them), I want 9-Volt and Bandana Dee.
Character-Wise (Meaning I just want them in because reasons), 9-Volt and Ridley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom