• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
its pretty much the only argument for him not to be playable and its not even a good one
So basically the last few pages have been the forum equivalent of diarrhea...WONDERFUL! Smash isn't canon, size never mattered for any character...ever, this conversation is pretty much at the point of "Beating the Dead Horse that has already rotted away so that all that's left to beat on is the bones, and the bones are on the verge of snapping in half like toothpicks". It's gotten THAT bad.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
My God this thread is crumbling at the hinges. From persistent idiots who are trying way too damn hard (Mr. Lange) and one who should just stop because he's terrible at what he does (Smashbro99), the last time I checked, we've already said that size doesn't matter in Smash Bros so many times, so why is that all I see in past pages are nothing but SIZE ARGUMENTS?!
I still honestly believe the only size debunker argument needed is the melee intro trailer. Proves it can be done and works.

From there, I don't see how Olimar doesn't kill all other arguments. It just gets into Ridley's too cool to be shrunk, wouldn't be ridley, bla bla bla personal crap that isn't really an argument.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ridley's attacks are game breakers, more so than half the bosses in Brawl. They don't even remotely fit into the scheme of playable attacks.
Well of course his attacks weren't meant to fit into the scheme of playable attacks. He was a BOSS in Brawl.

Obviously his moveset would be different as a playable character.

This argument is just getting silly now. Can we move onto a new subject? I'm sick of defending the size argument for another 20 pages. Give us a new argument because this is clearly getting us nowhere.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Tabuu is the final boss, so obviously.
I think you should reread what I wrote about his attacks in Brawl and play it again.
Ridley's attacks are game breakers, more so than half the bosses in Brawl. They don't even remotely fit into the scheme of playable attacks.

All that does is confirm my point. His size is wildly variable in the Mario games, due to magic and plot devices, whatever fits the scheme at the time.
The same is not true for Ridley.
Yes, exactly. Mario is the kind of series that is gameplay-driven, where the characters can shift in size based on what is necessary for the gameplay. Metroid is much more driven by character, plot, and ambience, where things like scale matter much more.

Which category of game do you think Smash falls into?

And to ChozoBoy:

Mario is a fantasy series with a huge emphasis on scale manipulation. (Items, stages, characters. etc.) This Bowser talk is really getting nowhere. If you can't acknowledge this, then I don't think anyone is interested in a discussion where you grasp at straws anymore.
Hmm... what if we change the wording of that a little bit?

Smash is a fighting series with a huge emphasis on scale manipulation. (Items, stages, characters. etc.)
The statement still holds true. Olimar is dozens of times taller than he should be. Peach's Castle is absolutely miniscule compared to it's canon Mario appearances, Electroplankton and the Flatland Stages are at least 50x larger than they should be, you fight a giant hand at the end of the classic mode, there's Giant Brawl, Tiny Brawl, Super Mushrooms, Tiny Mushrooms, the characters are all figurines and the size of the Great Fox fluctuates as the developers see fit (normally about half the size of it's canon appearances). New Pork City has become a floating rock about a tenth of its actual size, Luigi's Mansion looks about the size of a small room in real life, all of the Melee stages got smaller in the transition from Melee to Brawl and Mr. Game and Watch should technically be about four millimeters tall.

The developers don't care about size, basically. I don't know how I can make it any simpler.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I still honestly believe the only size debunker argument needed is the melee intro trailer. Proves it can be done and works.

From there, I don't see how Olimar doesn't kill all other arguments. It just gets into Ridley's too cool to be shrunk, wouldn't be ridley, bla bla bla personal crap that isn't really an argument.
Oh, you forgot that the Melee intro Ridley doesn't have a tail, so he doesn't work because it makes him too big because it's something that has nothing to do with his size! /Sarcasm\

And if we're going to get into "Too cool" or "Wouldn't be Ridley". The last time I checked, Olimar is not five feet tall, and Sonic was shorter than Mario, and Ganondorf's idol is not Captain Falcon. Also...people...Ridley wouldn't give a crap about being downsized, as long as he has a chance to fight Samus, and probably lose, Ridley will go in even if he has to be half her size.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
its pretty much the only argument for him not to be playable and its not even a good one
Oh look another example of everything being ignored.
IYet, he's still pathetically easy. They would not be game breakers as most everyone can dodge them with ease.
What I mean by game breaking is that they're in the Master Hand category. No one can perform standard attacks that affect the entire stage, or perform cinematic attacks that do extreme damage, unless it is a final smash. For Ridley, these powers are commonplace.
I have never argued that canon doesn't matter. But what you're trying to argue is that Ridley being huge is the most important facet of him and that's one part of canon they would/should never change, because unlike the other tweaks it would "ruin" Ridley as a character (of course, your use of "ruin" is just an opinion). But you're trying to couch that argument as if saying "canon matters" does all the work of convincing that Ridley's size is part of the "untouchable" part of canon.
You're talking only about Brawl Ridley here. This description does not at all describe him in Metroid, Super Metroid, Zero Mission or Metroid Fusion. It also is a bit of an exaggeration of how he behaves in Metroid Prime games and The Other M (and personally, I'd prefer to just ignore The Other M's version of Ridley - I enjoyed the gameplay in The Other M, but the little birdie and all that **** was dumb as hell).

Anyway, Brawl is not canon. And I don't see why Ridley in Brawl as a boss indicates that he's impossible as a playable character. Or why Brawl tells us everything about how the Smash devs think about Ridley but the Melee opening video doesn't tell us anything. If we suppose that Bowser was not already a playable character, and they used him as a boss, how do you think they would design him? With massive, stage covering attacks like he has as a final boss in Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, etc. or would he be the same size he is now with similarly small attacks? And would anyone think that this represents the only way the devs see him, or just as the way the devs see him as a boss?
Never said impossible. I said the odds were slim given all of the factors.
Not covering Bowser again. His size has to do with his power, which varies wildly. He was easily adaptable for Smash.
Once again, size is a major factor, but all of the other aspects of Ridley's character add up to the other side of this problem. He doesn't fit. Smash is not canon to the games it is taking from, but Smash's interpretation matters because the game we're talking about him being in is the very next Smash Bros game.
The developers don't care about size, basically. I don't know how I can make it any simpler.
They DO care about believability. The examples you cited fit organically with the game and for the viewer. Their awareness of that is why they did things the way they did.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd like to point out that Mr. Lange's posts have basically consisted of saying" You keep ignoring my posts" even though everyone keeps quoting him. Also, Mr. Lange only responds with "Look at my previous posts". Nobody is going to dig back pages upon pages for an argument that has been beaten to death.

You can't convince someone with an opinion. So let's please move on to a new subject...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah... how exactly does one argue the issue with the Great Fox??

Star Fox is certainly not a series that has freely scaled its characters about. Yet for Smash Bros. it would be impossible for Fox to fit reasonably within the Great Fox. Then in Melee, it got SMALLER. Then in Brawl, Fox got BIGGER!

Oh, and Fox, Falco and Wolf literally stand on top of Arwings. They couldn't impossibly fit inside those cockpits.

EDIT - Oh wait! Since people like to reference Subspace Emissary, Fox FLIES in an Arwing! What's up with that!?

????

CalumG

Smash Lord
They DO care about believability. The examples you cited fit organically with the game and for the viewer. Their awareness of that is why they did things the way they did.
And why could Ridley not be a believable character if he was shrunk? This is the crux of what the argument comes down to.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that Mr. Lange's posts have basically consisted of saying" You keep ignoring my posts" even though everyone keeps quoting him. Also, Mr. Lange only responds with "Look at my previous posts". Nobody is going to dig back pages upon pages for an argument that has been beaten to death.

You can't convince someone with an opinion. So let's please move on to a new subject...
Quotes one thing, recites an argument about something else that was verbatim from pages ago. That's what I'm talking about. I can't keep quoting old posts either. I did try that though and I was accused of rehashing.
And why could Ridley not be a believably character if he was shrunk? This is the crux of what the argument comes down to.
PLEASE SEE EVERYTHING I EVER SAID.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
I'm not even sure if you're trying to be a parody of yourself anymore or if you're just slowly turning into one.
You asked me why he wouldn't fit.
Everything I have ever said up to this point is answering exactly that.
That is why we are here talking about what we're talking about now.
I can't rewrite everything I've written so far. There is little more to add now.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yeah... how exactly does one argue the issue with the Great Fox??

Star Fox is certainly not a series that has freely scaled its characters about. Yet for Smash Bros. it would be impossible for Fox to fit reasonably within the Great Fox. Then in Melee, it got SMALLER. Then in Brawl, Fox got BIGGER!

Oh, and Fox, Falco and Wolf literally stand on top of Arwings. They couldn't impossibly fit inside those cockpits.

EDIT - Oh wait! Since people like to reference Subspace Emissary, Fox FLIES in an Arwing! What's up with that!?

????
I almost forgot about the entire Arwing debacle. Seriously though, what the hell is wrong with the sizes of the arwings/Great Fox? Unless they literally crunched Fox into a foot tall rodent, there's no way in hell he would've even fit in the Great Fox's cockpit, and he was even too big for the cockpit of the Great Fox in Smash 64 as well.

Please be more specific, I'd prefer to NOT go searching through a sea of useless comments that are embarrassingly bad to look at.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Mr Lange, please explain why the Great Fox and Arwings are allowed to be scaled way down compared to Fox and company if the developers are intent on retaining a certain level of consistency?
Don't you remember! He's obvously right! I mean c'mon, he's not only used a bunch of horrible reasons but gave even worse examples, everything he's said is obviously the word of the Smash Gods. :rolleyes: You must refer to EVERYTHING HE'S EVER POSTED as he says. Shall I get you a snorkel as you go swimming through them? Or would you prefer a clothespin for your nose? :p

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Don't you remember! He's obvously right! I mean c'mon, he's not only used a bunch of horrible reasons but gave even worse examples, everything he's said is obviously the word of the Smash Gods. :rolleyes: You must refer to EVERYTHING HE'S EVER POSTED as he says. Shall I get you a snorkel as you go swimming through them? Or would you prefer a clothespin for your nose? :p
Very immature. I have made very good points, cited strong examples, and I'm not acting like I'm totally right. I've never accused anyone here of doing that either and I just as easily could have. But I know that isn't what's happening, so I'm not going to act like an ass and do that. I've been very receptive and given positive feedback
Mr Lange, please explain why the Great Fox and Arwings are allowed to be scaled way down compared to Fox and company if the developers are intent on retaining a certain level of consistency?
As I've said before, it's about believability.
As props, the average viewer won't bear much thought to that unless you stop and think about it. It manages to flow with the scene.
Something as significant as a character, such as Ridley, and compacting him into an unnatural state that defies the way we've gotten used to him would be much more noticeable. It would be shocking to the viewer.
We have hardly ever seen Fox explicitly in relation to the Arwing or Great Fox. But every time we have played Metroid, we have seen a gigantic Ridley fighting a little Samus.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking as an observer, Lange is kind of fighting a losing battle. I've thumbed through the past 5 pages or so and he really hasn't refuted why it's impractical for Ridley to be altered to fit in Smash. He may be right in the end but he doesn't have solid evidence to support his case that it's absolutely out of the question. He seems to be ignoring people's arguments and going back to his standard position. Granted, it's all conjecture but the Pro-Ridley at least has the argument that altering things for the sake of fitting them into Smash is nothing new and actually fairly common in the scope of the franchise.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Not only are the Arwings too small for Fox to fit into, the Arwings are too big to fit into the chute at the bottom of the Great Fox, too. That's two major size inconsistencies, and we're only dealing with a single stage here. I just find it ludicrous to think that the team could get away with something as inconsistent as that, but Ridley being the biggest character in the game (but still smaller than his Metroid appearances) would be 'inorganic'.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Very immature. I have made very good points, cited strong examples, and I'm not acting like I'm totally right. I never accused anyone here of doing the same and I just as easily could have. But I know that isn't what's happening, so I'm not going to act like an *** and do that.
Yes, your amazing points, like using material from non-canon games that affect the character's portrayal in future titles in no way/shape/or form, using arguments that have been proven wrong time and time again and those that haven't are so obscure that nobody is stupid enough to bring it up...and calling the Mario Spin-off titles canon, that was my personal chuckle-worthy part. And hey, better to be an ass than leaving a ton of comments where you're basically beating the already rotted away horse. :p

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Speaking as an observer, Lange is kind of fighting a losing battle. I've thumbed through the past 5 pages or so and he really hasn't refuted why it's impractical for Ridley to be altered to fit in Smash. He may be right in the end but he doesn't have solid evidence to support his case that it's absolutely out of the question. He seems to be ignoring people's arguments and going back to his standard position. Granted, it's all conjecture but the Pro-Ridley at least has the argument that altering things for the sake of fitting them into Smash is nothing new and actually fairly common in the scope of the franchise.
As far as I can tell, Lange is Pro-Ridley. He's arguing against the Anti-Ridley/Pro-Chibi Ridley group in this thread.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sorry to argue semantics but chibi is not the same as shrunken down. Chibi would imply that he had distorted body parts with some being radically bigger/smaller than others (which would be hilarious given what a serious character Ridley is).

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Yes, your amazing points, like using material from non-canon games that affect the character's portrayal in future titles in no way/shape/or form, using arguments that have been proven wrong time and time again and those that haven't are so obscure that nobody is stupid enough to bring it up...and calling the Mario Spin-off titles canon, that was my personal chuckle-worthy part. And hey, better to be an *** than leaving a ton of comments where you're basically beating the already rotted away horse. :p
They are canon. Smash itself acknowledges this. Whenever the sports titles are brought up, they are talked about as if they literally happened. All of the Paper Mario games are also canon. The closest I've cited to a non-canon source is SMRPG, which Nintendo is a little dodgy about because of Square's copyrights.
As far as I can tell, Lange is Pro-Ridley. He's arguing against the Anti-Ridley/Pro-Chibi Ridley group in this thread.
Yep thank you Chozo.
Sorry to argue semantics but chibi is not the same as shrunken down. Chibi would imply that he had distorted body parts with some being radically bigger/smaller than others (which would be hilarious given what a serious character Ridley is).
But to shrink him down in proportion would also look ridiculous. The examples others have made here were good, but they don't feel like the actual Ridley. They're like some weird clone of Ridley, which is the only excuse the devs could possibly use to put him in.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Not only are the Arwings too small for Fox to fit into, the Arwings are too big to fit into the chute at the bottom of the Great Fox, too. That's two major size inconsistencies, and we're only dealing with a single stage here. I just find it ludicrous to think that the team could get away with something as inconsistent as that, but Ridley being the biggest character in the game (but still smaller than his Metroid appearances) would be 'inorganic'.
It's diarrhea at the mouth, they're just grasping at as many strings as they can find. Seriously, we're talking about a franchise which has never been consistent with sizing characters and has already shown so far in Smash 4 that it's not a big deal there either. Also...if we're going by the inconsistencies of Smash Bros...what about the F-Zero vehicles? In Mute City Melee, the cars are so small they don't even come up to Captain Falcon's waist-line, and the cockpit in every single appearance has been so deranged that the way they are designed is if they were thrown in a randomizer.

Some look big enough for you to fit in, but not never a character the size of Captain Falcon, who actually has his own car in the stage I mean seriously, if that were to work, Most of Falcon's car would have to be empty room where he would lie down flat on his back with no chair whatsoever for support. Seriously, why are we talking about size for ANYTHING when it's basically the first thing thrown in the trash when designing a new Smash Bros?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's not quite the case. Lange likes Ridley, but doesn't think he would fit into Smash. So he basically against Ridley for Smash.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
What I mean by game breaking is that they're in the Master Hand category. No one can perform standard attacks that affect the entire stage, or perform cinematic attacks that do extreme damage, unless it is a final smash. For Ridley, these powers are commonplace.
BECAUSE he's a boss. NOT because he could ONLY be designed that way.

You're working backwards from "he's a boss doing boss things" to "he can only be a boss doing boss things."
Never said impossible. I said the odds were slim given all of the factors.
I think his large popularity is a pretty big factor. One that you seem to think is irrelevant. Even though Sakurai has said he is taking that into account and has been the basis for him including several characters that seemingly would not have been in otherwise (Sonic, Mega Man, Villager).
Not covering Bowser again. His size has to do with his power, which varies wildly. He was easily adaptable for Smash.
I'm not talking about whether he's adaptable as a playable character, or his appearances in Mario games.

I'm just pointing out that a lot of the features you're saying make Ridley impossible are exactly the same features that would be given to many other bosses, even if they have plausible designs that do not involve those. It's a direction of causation thing.

If they made Bowser into a non-playable boss, he would use similar attacks, he would be huge, etc. Because he's a boss. Not because that's the only thing you can do with Bowser. Obviously Bowser is adaptable. I think that Ridley is also adaptable though. Part of the difference with Bowser is that the nature of the series (very light-hearted, cartoonish) makes it much easier for them to put Bowser into a playable role as far as the story and so forth (not that the main Mario games have much of a story anyway).

They wouldn't make Ridley playable in a regular Metroid game because there'd be no plausible story explanation for it, never mind any limitations of the character's physical design. But if they DID, I would guess he'd be considerably smaller.
And why could Ridley not be a believable character if he was shrunk? This is the crux of what the argument comes down to.
But whether he'd "fit" is subjective.

I still don't see any way you've shown that 1. that's objectively true (which is impossible to show anyway) 2. that the majority or even a significant plurality of fans would dislike it 3. that the game creators would be so rigidly concerned for Ridley's canon size or 4. that he doesn't have move set potential.

If the fans would like it, if he has a potential move set, if they have a cool design... I can't see them rejecting it on the basis of this version of Ridley would be too small and thus not consistent with the Metroid games.

Do you really think he'd choose disappointing the fans over violating ONE aspect of canon?

CalumG

Smash Lord
For the record, I don't even want Ridley in - heck, I'd much rather Tingle and Toad than Ridley (but given the way this thread has devolved into 2006, I wouldn't be too surprised to hear that "Toad can't be in 'cos he's Peach's B move"). I just think the argument against Ridley has been cripplingly weak so far. The pro-Ridley's have proven that size is no issue in Smash, and the anti-Ridley's have basically retorted with "but it wouldn't feel like Ridley if he was smaller" - effectively, arguing against facts by using opinions.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
They are canon. Smash itself acknowledges this. Whenever the sports titles are brought up, they are talked about as if they literally happened. All of the Paper Mario games are also canon. The closest I've cited to a non-canon source is SMRPG, which Nintendo is a little dodgy about because of Square's copyrights.
HAH! They are in NO WAY canon. And Smash itself isn't canon, so saying a non-canon series recognizes the canon-ness of another non-canon series is so mindbogglingly stupid I don't even know how you came to that conclusion in the first place. The Mario Party games had a story about becoming a super-star, but does that make it canon with the actual series...in a game where DK is the same size as Mario? Please tell me you're being sarcastic, because there's no way you can be serious.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
As I've said before, it's about believability.
As props, the average viewer won't bear much thought to that unless you stop and think about it. It manages to flow with the scene.
Something as significant as a character, such as Ridley, and compacting him into an unnatural state that defies the way we've gotten used to him would be much more noticeable. It would be shocking to the viewer.
We have hardly ever seen Fox explicitly in relation to the Arwing or Great Fox. But every time we have played Metroid, we have seen a gigantic Ridley fighting a little Samus.

Ah, but we have seen Fox in relation to his Arwing. Star Fox 64 ALWAYS showed Fox and his team in their Arwings, and we see the Arwings in relation to the Great Fox quite often. Yet later on comes Smash Bros. on the N64, and nobody cares that we're fighting on top of the Great Fox. Familiarity trumps Relativity.

Then Melee does it again, adds Arwings, and nobody cares again. Familiarity trumps Relativity.

Melee did the same thing with Ridley in the intro. The actual scale between Samus and Ridley is irrelevant. If people were concerned, their deceived eyes would have saw Ridley as seemingly close to Samus's size, and they would have called foul. They didn't. They simply liked what they saw. Familiarity trumped Relativity AGAIN.

It's only now in these days since SF64 and SSB64 and Melee that we're all just suddenly arguing that, when it comes to Ridley, Relativity trumps Familiarity. Which I seriously cannot believe for a moment.

If people are going to see a smaller scaled Ridley and complain, it's going to be because we as a collection made such a huge fuss over the very idea. I won't ignore that Ridley's appearance in Subspace Emissary could now attribute to such a potential issue, but I very much believe it's not nearly as extreme it's made out to be. However, I will NOT succumb to this idea that we know the developers' mindset SO well that we can say with absolute assurance that they WON'T consider making Ridley playable for SSB4. What they did for Subspace Emissary, let it stay in Subspace Emissary. But as of this current present, their decision will and should remain unknown without turning speculation into absoluteness. The Star Fox series's representation in Smash has directly conflicted with such speculation in that it cannot be thought of as absolute.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
That's not quite the case. Lange likes Ridley, but doesn't think he would fit into Smash. So he basically against Ridley for Smash.
I'm not exactly against Ridley being in Smash either. It'd be bittersweet for him to be a playable character, because yes, awesome, the beast is finally playable, but he would never be the same.
I think his large popularity is a pretty big factor. One that you seem to think is irrelevant... Do you really think he'd choose disappointing the fans over violating ONE aspect of canon?
That's exactly what upsets me about this. That they would ignore all of Ridley's characteristics for the sake of popular request. I would rather them do what's best for the series. Maybe that does mean making Ridley playable, but the way things have been, it does not appear to be that way at all.
It is not just ONE aspect of canon, it is like a painting that has many features wrapped up in a complete image. To violate that to such a great extent for popular vote sake would be a damn shame.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
My god, in a game series that's pretty much ALL about fan-service, they'd make the horrifying decision to please fans that don't like or want the same things as you!

I see no reason why it would be bad for the series. If it pleases the fans, and it's fun, isn't it... ummm... good for it?

And it would have little to no effect on the Metroid series because it's Smash.

(Also, sounds like you're a little more worried than your confident arguments would have people believe. You said it was very unlikely... You scared that's not true? :p)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
My god, in a game series that's pretty much ALL about fan-service, they'd make the horrifying decision to please fans that don't like or want the same things as you!

I see no reason why it would be bad for the series. If it pleases the fans, and it's fun, isn't it... ummm... good for it?

(Also, sounds like you're a little more worried than your confident arguments would have people believe. You said it was very unlikely... You scared that's not true? :p)
You forgot to use take those non-canon franchises into account man, they truly prove Ridley as not fitting. You know, because a non-canon game featuring Bowser in a Kart is the God to Ridley's fate. :joyful:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But to shrink him down in proportion would also look ridiculous. The examples others have made here were good, but they don't feel like the actual Ridley. They're like some weird clone of Ridley, which is the only excuse the devs could possibly use to put him in.
I would only argue that this would only be the case if Ridley's size was a defining trait of his character. Think about Kraid. That is a character who a large part of him is defined by his massive size and every game that he's in aside from the original the developers have defined him by having him absolutely tower over Samus. He's the big dinosaur guy with the pokey belly doobly doos; that's his schtick. Ridley is more defined by being Samus's arch nemesis and ultimately being more important to her character than even the final bosses of all the Metroid games. Think about Bowser. Sometimes Bowser absolutely dwarfs Mario but does this define him? No. He's largely defined by being Mario's arch nemesis and sometimes reluctant ally which is why it is believable when his size is altered (sometimes dramatically) from game to game.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
You forgot to use take those non-canon franchises into account man, they truly prove Ridley as not fitting. You know, because a non-canon game featuring Bowser in a Kart is the God to Ridley's fate. :joyful:
Notice I didn't bring up the kart games (even though they're also canon), because they're the most unreliable size comparisons. They had to very heavily alter character sizes to fit in the karts, which all had to be the same size. Also, wasn't using those sources to PROVE anything, just to back up the arguments I was making.

I'm not the only one who prefers Ridley as he is, you know. There's two sets of Ridley fans and you only know of the one because this thread chases the others away.
This has nothing to do with being "scared" and while I can argue some things with confidence, you're all right about these being subjective matters. As I've said before, there is a chance they'll cave and make him playable. What concerns me is how much distortion they'd have to do to make this work, and then he would no longer be viable as a boss in the game... and all because there was a subset of fans that really wanted it. I considered him much better as a boss. His style and characteristics were the most awesome in this form. As playable, they'd have to water him down a lot, on top of shrinking him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how including Ridley would ruin his character. It's as if him being included would suddenly turn him into a complete joke, a complete mockery of himself as he's just prancing around in a pink frilly dress while throwing flowers and candy at people. If anyone had brain cells, that would not be the intention of Ridley at all and would be avoided by any soul that has common sense. Instead, it would be highlighting Ridley's general archetype: A large ruthless dragon that would gladly tear you a new one.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't see how including Ridley would ruin his character. It's as if him being included would suddenly turn him into a complete joke, a complete mockery of himself as he's just prancing around in a pink frilly dress while throwing flowers and candy at people. If anyone had brain cells, that would not be the intention of Ridley at all and would be avoided by any soul that has common sense. Instead, it would be highlighting Ridley's general archetype: A large ruthless dragon that would gladly tear you a new one.
In fairness... after playing as Mewtwo in Melee I can't blame the guy for being afraid of that.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
In fairness... after playing as Mewtwo in Melee I can't blame the guy for being afraid of that.
Someone understands lol. The way I see it Ridley would have to be stretched further than Mewtwo to fit as well.

Top Bottom