• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Starting to become depressing? It was depressing in 2006... I thought the Smash community had gained a few IQ points and put this argument to rest by now.
They did, they've been having a nonstop circle jerk about Ridley being perfectly reasonable as a playable character, and chased everyone away in hostility that so much as suggested it is not reasonable with a series of canned arguments while ignoring every possible contradiction.
That's how the argument was put to rest.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Guys, maybe the problem isn't that Ridley is too big, but that Smash Bros. is too small. Why should Ridley have to change himself just to fit in with our standards? Why don't we all make ourselves bigger? Olimar can do it, I'm sure everybody else can!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I thought the Smash community had gained a few IQ points and put this argument to rest by now.
Calum, please. People have only gotten dumber over the years. People have to keep their title of the dumbest creatures alive, otherwise we'd be giving that title to jellyfish.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This thread is starting to become depressing.
Its depressing for the PeePz that take it to heart Like Mr.Lange what ever the **** his name is...and whoever he is arguing with...they be like internet vikings death to the end & **** no holding back its war! To see if there penis is bigger than there opponents.

RODO

Smash Ace
Actually your reasons have been every bit as vague as mine. I throw just as much proof of things your way as you do me. How can I ignore the counter points when all of my points are based on the things being said? That doesn't make any sense.
For the millionth time, I read every point, and everything I write in response is based thoroughly upon that.
I say my points are being ignored because identical arguments are made a page later to ones I had given thorough responses to.
I'll tell you what. Just say that Ridley could fit into the game if they wanted him to. If you admit to that then I'll be done arguing with you and you can make any points you want, because that is the point I am largely trying to make in this thread. I honestly wouldn't care if he didn't make it into the game really.

Reznor

work in progress
It is people like you making the community so much dumber, do you not understand what BIG means, it means not small, which Ridley is not, he is not not small, he is TOO BIG.
Olimar is too small guys he would never fit in smash bros the devs can't just resize a character to make them fit into as crossover game

CalumG

Smash Lord
Can we give it a rest now guys? I think it's clear this argument is getting a bit... too big.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Calum, please. People have only gotten dumber over the years. People have to keep their title of the dumbest creatures alive, otherwise we'd be giving that title to jellyfish.

Why must you insult Shulk's intelligence?

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
I'll tell you what. Just say that Ridley could fit into the game if they wanted him to. If you admit to that then I'll be done arguing with you and you can make any points you want, because that is the point I am largely trying to make in this thread. I honestly wouldn't care if he didn't make it into the game really.
Well if you read my past posts you would know. In fact I answered this today, within the last two pages. But no one here has read much of what I wrote at all.
Guys, maybe the problem isn't that Ridley is too big, but that Smash Bros. is too small. Why should Ridley have to change himself just to fit in with our standards? Why don't we all make ourselves bigger? Olimar can do it, I'm sure everybody else can!
Exactly, size and canon doesn't matter right, for gameplay they'll do anything so obviously they'd have no problem with scaling UP everyone else to be Ridley's size.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Exactly size and canon doesn't matter, for gameplay they'll do anything so obviously they'd have no problem with scaling UP everyone else to be Ridley's size.
Glad you see the light. :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It all goes back to my "Fred the giant" comparison. If there was a character called Fred the Giant, whose entire point is being, well, giant, and he was insanely popular, and Sakurai noticed his popularity - what do you expect him to do? Make Fred the Giant smaller? His entire gimmick is being giant, so if he's not giant any more, what's the point? Or, if you want a better comparison, look at Kraid.

Yeah, you're hardly going to make him smaller, now are you?
The problem with this argument is that you assume that being big is the only noticeable thing about ridley. If you take away 'giant' from fred the giant, you are left with fred.

If you take away giant from ridley, you still have ferocious, you still have space pirate, you still have purple dragon, you still deadly CQC, speed, and tail action, a spiny body, you name it.

The comparison doesn't work.

peeup

Smash Lord
Olimar is too small guys he would never fit in smash bros the devs can't just resize a character to make them fit into as crossover game
omg it is this kind of ignorance that is so annoying for smart people like me, YOU CAN EASILY MAKE THINGS BIGGER, but YOU CAN NOT MAKE THINGS SMALLER. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SHRINK RAY, HELLO PEOPLE.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
The problem with this argument is that you assume that being big is the only noticeable thing about ridley. If you take away 'giant' from fred the giant, you are left with fred.

If you take away giant from ridley, you still have ferocious, you still have space pirate, you still have purple dragon, you still deadly CQC, speed, and tail action, a spiny body, you name it.

You picked it apart.
Making Ridley a playable character defies some of the biggest (lol) qualities we know about him.
Those attacks you just mentioned are powered by his size alone.
The aesthetics of his character has a lot to do with his size, intimidation, and overwhelming attacks.
These are things that would translate poorly to a playable character.
In RIDLEY'S case (in b4 Bowser and Ganondorf seriously read the past pages).

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
omg it is this kind of ignorance that is so annoying for smart people like me, YOU CAN EASILY MAKE THINGS BIGGER, but YOU CAN NOT MAKE THINGS SMALLER. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SHRINK RAY, HELLO PEOPLE.
I know, right? Do you think you can just, what, give Ridley a poison mushroom and it'll all be better? Is that how you people see things?

Reznor

work in progress
guys its canon in the smash universe that they didn't change Olimars size they made every one as small as Olimar so every character has been shrunk down so Ridley isn't to big :smirk:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Big internet clap
Smiles

(sarcasm to someone - not you)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Naa...your trying too hard now...its not that funny...i think its time you leave..GTFO clown your done sucking ****.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Naa...your trying too hard now...its not that funny...i think its time you leave..GTFO clown your done sucking ****.

Haha chill Phazon, peeup's just doing a bit of trolling. He's known for some of that around here. All in good fun.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You picked it apart.
Making Ridley a playable character defies some of the biggest (lol) qualities we know about him.
Those attacks you just mentioned are powered by his size alone.
Yeah I picked it apart, that's how arguments work. I'm finding small bits of hypocrisy and pointing them out.

The only one of those things that come slightly from his size is his ferocity.
If he was smaller, he would not stop being a dragon, nor a space pirate, nor purple.

And he would still be ferocious. people argue the velociraptor was much more ferocious, if not terrifying, than the T-Rex, despite the obvious size difference. When you think about why Ridley is scary in metroid games, it isn't the ridiculous size. In fact, in comparison to the other bosses in metroid prime one, Ridley is downright small. but he's fast. Aglie. Nimble. He speeds around at the edge of your vision, hurling fireballs. He zooms in close, with the teeth and claws and tail. If he were as bulky as Kraid, this would be impossible. If he were smaller, it'd still work. I can even site a source here (SEE INTRO TO MELEE TRAILER) he could still impale you with his tale.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Olimar's got nothing.

This dude is like 4 millimeters tall... remove Game and Watch in Smash 4!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yo were all ****ed anyway M&S Guy is viewing this thread he be cooking up sonething reall grimeyyyyy inabit who knows this 135+ pages of ''my penis is bigger than your penis'' threaf could get locked any minute...im sure he has had enough of this Bull*.

RealTalk.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I find it extremely ironic that people heavily complain about Ridley being too big, and yet no one ever really complains about how very small Olimar really is. Character sizes aren't supposed to be canon in the Smash Bros. franchise, so even if Ridley is often much bigger than Samus, he can be scaled down to a smaller size, which is similar to how Olimar's size was increased, despite the fact that he's hardly any bigger than a battery.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yo were all ****ed anyway M&S Guy is viewing this thread he be cooking up sonething reall grimeyyyyy inabit who knows this 135+ pages of ''my penis is bigger than your penis'' threaf could get locked any minute...im sure he has had enough of this Bull*.

RealTalk.
I wouldn't worry right now, this isn't spam so much as lively discussion. These are legitimate arguments (if repeated 40 times over the course of a thread counts as legitimate) and I don't see much name calling.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
I find it extremely ironic that people heavily complain about Ridley being too big, and yet no one ever really complains about how very small Olimar really is. Character sizes aren't supposed to be canon in the Smash Bros. franchise, so even if Ridley is often much bigger than Samus, he can be scaled down to a smaller size, which is similar to how Olimar's size was increased, despite the fact that he's hardly any bigger than a battery.
Pretty sure this has been addressed already. Multiple times.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure this has been addressed already. Multiple times.
Yes Blitz it has been addressed to death, with me involved. No one ****ing pays attention. You see what I mean when I say posts are ignored? M&SG's post is practically verbatim to others in the past.
Inb4 mr.lange saying to read his posts
You're so late I quoted you backwards in time, holy hell.
Yeah I picked it apart, that's how arguments work. I'm finding small bits of hypocrisy and pointing them out.

The only one of those things that come slightly from his size is his ferocity.
If he was smaller, he would not stop being a dragon, nor a space pirate, nor purple.

And he would still be ferocious. people argue the velociraptor was much more ferocious, if not terrifying, than the T-Rex, despite the obvious size difference. When you think about why Ridley is scary in metroid games, it isn't the ridiculous size. In fact, in comparison to the other bosses in metroid prime one, Ridley is downright small. but he's fast. Aglie. Nimble. He speeds around at the edge of your vision, hurling fireballs. He zooms in close, with the teeth and claws and tail. If he were as bulky as Kraid, this would be impossible. If he were smaller, it'd still work. I can even site a source here (SEE INTRO TO MELEE TRAILER) he could still impale you with his tale.
Picking apart, as in, you took a piece of something out of context and formed a point based on that.
We've covered the Melee trailer a million times please don't bring it up again. It is a poor source when there's already an updated version in the same series; Brawl.
In Brawl, he plummets the Blue Falcon repeatedly in the blink of an eye. His wing attack wind blast covers the entire stage and overpowers your character. His rapid giant fireball attack has high KO potential. These are all moves he can do as STANDARD ATTACKS. These are feats even Master Hand can't do. I think Smash devs have made their case about how they see Ridley.

Got things to do, we'll get back to this later I'm sure. Like I said, Ridley will at least be playable in the Smash engine we're working on.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even the mod is saying it..RealTalk

M&SG is a G.

Reznor

work in progress
guys the too big argument is getting old can some one bring up another reason why Ridley shouldn't be in Smash Bros 4
I think the too big thing is all they got

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I think I'm probably contributing pretty heavily to that
It's really sad that you aren't. Anywhere else and that would be true.
guys the too big argument is getting old can some one bring up another reason why Ridley shouldn't be in Smash Bros 4
He's probably not too big, but only the team with the game build knows for sure.

Why does that Super Metroid fan-art image keep getting posted now? We don't need to reference fan-art.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Inb4 mr.lange saying to read his posts

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh ofc

He is TOO purple
His tail is TOO long
His tail is TOO sharp
His head is TOO awkward

But my favirote is ''Ridley is too big''
Why they always onlly read half of the sentence though...

The full sentence is ''Ridley is too big to not be in smash''

Pffft....(-_-)

Top Bottom