• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

RODO

Smash Ace
Wii Fit Trainer is not only a joke character, but nothing has been established about her as a character. They had the free reign to make up any **** they wanted to. The same does not apply to Ridley.
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were one of the devs working on Smash.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were one of the devs working on Smash.

Actually, from the way he's talking, I'm pretty sure he's Sakurai. Or, at least he thinks he is.

Well, guys, guess we're screwed. Time to pack up.

peeup

Smash Lord
Hey guys I know what's a good idea how about in PSASBR they should put in one of the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus. Does that sound like a good idea to you now? Do you even know how big those Colossi are? Definitely you can see now that being too big is not good for gameplay, Ridley would break the game and be banned, being too big is too much of an advantage and it is not practical because how would the Smash scientists even shrink Ridley down to okay size? You are stupid if you say "Oh well they made Olimar big," what do you think it is just as easy as flipping the switch on the Growth Ray? It takes a lot of science to make things big but it takes even way more science to make things small, Shrink Rays don't exist I know I am a science major, please stop being ignorant to the ways of the world and assuming that making Ridley not too big is just like as easy as pressing the "Make Ridley Small Button", please search for as long as you want but that button DOES NOT EXIST.

CalumG

Smash Lord

This picture is as relevant as ever - not because it shows Ridley as small, because obviously his size is down to NES limitations, but because it illustrates the fact that the developers of Metroid had no issue compromising Ridley's canon size for the sake of gameplay, meaning they probably did not consider the size of Ridley to be as important as his menacing characteristics. If Ridley's developers have no issue compromising Ridley's size, why should the Smash developers?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm sorry you can't read a sentence in the context of the rest of a post and form a response based on that.

Probably because your constant references to how the developers think despite having just as much perspective/lack thereof as the average user?

You don't see me constantly throwing out the "game developer" card, and I am one.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Guys, it's simple math.

Let's look at Mario. He is not too big, and whadayaknow, he is in Smash.

Now let's look at Ridley. He is too big, and whadayaknow, he is not in Smash.

Get a brain morans.
Lmfaooooooooooo are you serious? Hahaha ahhh man i wish i didnt have work tomorrow...i would stay on this threaf for a couple hours...you give me jokes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

The only thing that is big is your head my son.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hey guys I know what's a good idea how about in PSASBR they should put in one of the Colossi from Shadow of the Colossus. Does that sound like a good idea to you now? Do you even know how big those Colossi are? Definitely you can see now that being too big is not good for gameplay, Ridley would break the game and be banned, being too big is too much of an advantage and it is not practical because how would the Smash scientists even shrink Ridley down to okay size? You are stupid if you say "Oh well they made Olimar big," what do you think it is just as easy as flipping the switch on the Growth Ray? It takes a lot of science to make things big but it takes even way more science to make things small, Shrink Rays don't exist I know I am a science major, please stop being ignorant to the ways of the world and assuming that making Ridley not too big is just like as easy as pressing the "Make Ridley Small Button", please search for as long as you want but that button DOES NOT EXIST.
They probably would have put in a Colossai if it wasnt for that fact that Team ICO is a group of pretentious dudes that think they're the greatest artist if all teh timeza.

:p

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Actually, from the way he's talking, I'm pretty sure he's Sakurai. Or, at least he thinks he is.

Well, guys, guess we're screwed. Time to pack up.
Ridley would not work in Smash Bros =/= Ridley is not going to be in Smash Bros.

You all seem to be under the impression we're saying "RIDLEY WILL NEVER BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER I WOULD KNOW MY UNCLE IS SAKURAI'S BEST FRIEND DON'CHA KNOW" when we're clearly not

RODO

Smash Ace
I'm sorry you can't read a sentence in the context of the rest of a post and form a response based on that.
I can't argue with you because you act like you know what Sakurai is thinking. There are only so many instances where you can say "that doesn't apply to Ridley" or "this is different than that" before it seems like you are in denial.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Looooooooooooooool ahhh man your a legend RealTalk.
Yo add me as a friend and copy and paste your post to messages and send em to me so i can read em all in a timely manner while im at work tomorow on my lunch break munching on my pringles and sandwhiches RealTalk.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Looooooooooooooool ahhh man your a legend RealTalk.
Yo add me as a friend and copy and paste your post to messages and send em to me so i can read em all in a timely manner while im at work tomorow on my lunch break munching on my pringles and sandwhiches RealTalk.
Read the thread like the rest of us you lazy ass >:C

peeup

Smash Lord
Lmfaooooooooooo are you serious? Hahaha ahhh man i wish i didnt have work tomorrow...i would stay on this threaf for a couple hours...you give me jokes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

The only thing that is big is your head my son.
The only joke right now is how much you are hanging on to your flimsy argument, I have given you so many point and you have countered NONE I think that my brain might be too big for you to understand everything and that is why you do not see that Ridley is too big.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
When was it ever stated that size was the issue with Ridley anyway? People cling onto that crap, and yet have zero proof that it's there.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
About relative size with Olimar...
In game, one of the treasures you can find is ROB's head, which is enormous. Yet in Smash, their relative sizes are much closer. Why is it okay for them to change and not Ridley? Other than believability, which is purely subjective.
Yeah, It was big. Sort of like the enormous ROBs at Port Town...

Admit it... You didn't think this one all the way through, did you?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The only joke right now is how much you are hanging on to your flimsy argument, I have given you so many point and you have countered NONE I think that my brain might be too big for you to understand everything and that is why you do not see that Ridley is too big.
Hmmmm yes..your right..i surrender you win.

Pffffttt.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHH !!!!!!!!

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
And that's the core of this whole thing. Mr Lange throws in a vague, formless reason and we counter with hard proof of things that have actually been in the game. He then ignores the counter point and takes another stab at it, and tries another point. We call him on it, and he says we're ignoring his points.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Excellent trolling/10

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Read the thread like the rest of us you lazy *** >:C
Yo thats not very nice....:(

His first and second were the best i will defo get them on DVD when they release although his 3rd troll post was ok...nothing special..eh its like all movies...like the matrix trilogy

1st is best
2nd is good
3rd is kinda crap....well not as good.

Atleast hes staying true to the roots big props bro.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Probably because your constant references to how the developers think despite having just as much perspective/lack thereof as the average user?

You don't see me constantly throwing out the "game developer" card, and I am one.
I'm also a game developer. I don't know exactly what Sakurai is thinking, but I do know a great deal how the devs approach things given their design choices throughout history, a lot of which is common sense. You can call it subjective until you're blue in the face, but many things can be unanimously agreed as absurd choices. I can safely say that that they will never make Fawful from M&L into playable character because the notion is absurd. We can all agree on that, despite the fact that it is technically "subjective". We know based on Fawful's place in the series, how he is as a character, and compare it to the sense of designers and how they approach development that this would never happen. Is that me being a mind reader? No, it is using good judgement.
The line becomes blurrier when suggesting a character like Bowser Jr, because he is a large character now that has a decent repertoire of abilities to work from and more can easily be created. If I had to guess, he won't be playable, and we can infer from their design choices that this is the case, but it is still possible seeing as how easy it would be to work him in.
Ridley is a character that they would have to make many drastic compromises to work into the game, which is why his odds are far slimmer than Bowser Jr. This is just an example.

This picture is as relevant as ever - not because it shows Ridley as small, because obviously his size is down to NES limitations, but because it illustrates the fact that the developers of Metroid had no issue compromising Ridley's canon size for the sake of gameplay, meaning they probably did not consider the size of Ridley to be as important as his menacing characteristics. If Ridley's developers have no issue compromising Ridley's size, why should the Smash developers?
Because when they didn't have those limitations, they chose to make Ridley into his intended size, that's why.

RODO

Smash Ace
Devs have creative freedom to do what they want. The Metroid devs could decide to make Ridley smaller tomorrow if they wanted to, and it would be canon because they made it that way. It's a video game, there aren't any rules.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I'm also a game developer. I don't know exactly what Sakurai is thinking, but I do know a great deal how the devs approach things given their design choices throughout history, a lot of which is common sense. You can call it subjective until you're blue in the face, but many things can be unanimously agreed as absurd choices. I can safely say that that they will never make Fawful from M&L into playable character because the notion is absurd. We can all agree on that, despite the fact that it is technically "subjective". We know based on Fawful's place in the series, how he is as a character, and compare it to the sense of designers and how they approach development that this would never happen. Is that me being a mind reader? No, it is using good judgement.
The line becomes blurrier when suggesting a character like Bowser Jr, because he is a large character now that has a decent repertoire of abilities to work from and more can easily be created. If I had to guess, he won't be playable, and we can infer from their design choices that this is the case, but it is still possible seeing as how easy it would be to work him in.
Ridley is a character that they would have to make many drastic compromises to work into the game, which is why his odds are far slimmer than Bowser Jr. This is just an example.

Because when they didn't have those limitations, they chose to make Ridley into his intended size, that's why.
And now they have new limitations to design around, and this shows they are willing to compromise size for limitations.

CalumG

Smash Lord
What? That's not even a response to the question I was asking. In the original Metroid, the developers faced a compromise based on sprite size. In Smash, the developers would be facing a compromise based on character size and how it works in relation to gameplay. If the developers had a good idea for Ridley's gameplay style and acknowledged Ridley's popularity, they would make the same compromise as the Metroid developers did - shrinking the character down for the sake of the functionality of the game.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
And that's the core of this whole thing. Mr Lange throws in a vague, formless reason and we counter with hard proof of things that have actually been in the game. He then ignores the counter point and takes another stab at it, and tries another point. We call him on it, and he says we're ignoring his points.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Actually your reasons have been every bit as vague as mine. I throw just as much proof of things your way as you do me. How can I ignore the counter points when all of my points are based on the things being said? That doesn't make any sense.
For the millionth time, I read every point, and everything I write in response is based thoroughly upon that.
I say my points are being ignored because identical arguments are made a page later to ones I had given thorough responses to.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This thread is starting to become depressing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Starting to become depressing? It was depressing in 2006... I thought the Smash community had gained a few IQ points and put this argument to rest by now.
We did, then new people came.

I think I'm probably contributing pretty heavily to that
Truth be told you're kinda funny. You can stay. :p

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, let's wait until I'm away from the computer to start another big debate! >=(

I think this last one drives the point home.
Yeah... REALLY drive that point home!

I plan on dubbing Other M Ridley as Monkey Ridley. After previous watching a youtube video of every Ridley battle, I didn't realize until now just how NOT HUGE Other M Ridley actually was. He's actually almost smaller than Super Metroid Ridley. And this isn't some trick of perspective, 'cause Samus is literally standing directly in front of his HUGE LANKY ARM. Really, it's those monkey arms and hands that make Ridley seem like a giant in pictures where he's holding Samus.
BTW, this isn't to counter the whole of your post Lange. Just noting that one image and comparing it to what I saw in the video.

As for this picture...

I saw this one a few weeks back and thought it was a GREAT image that showed Ridley being awesome and NOT looking HUGE like some of his games like to do. You have to realize I'm an opponent of the idea that Ridley's size is a vital trait to his character. He never uses his size that well in his games. He puts his signature on battles with his ferocity and relentless barrages of attacks and just being a threatening NOT final boss.

What I also like about this pic is that if it was scaled down just a taaad more, this would be a great size for playable status. It's similar to........?? OH YEAH. Similar to this:

I know people aren't exactly thrilled with Ridley doing a lot of his fighting on all fours, but at the current time there's going to be a conflict of interests one way or another. I still think this would please the widest audience. As I mentioned before, this scene mock-up is only Ridley on the ground, and he'd look very much like the fan art above while taking to the air. (I also said my rendition of Ridley was scaled up just a tad, so I could even go smaller if it helps some people).

...And the prospect is certainly not alien...

peeup

Smash Lord
Starting to become depressing? It was depressing in 2006... I thought the Smash community had gained a few IQ points and put this argument to rest by now.
It is people like you making the community so much dumber, do you not understand what BIG means, it means not small, which Ridley is not, he is not not small, he is TOO BIG.

Top Bottom