• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Yes because they modified not the prime game's but the 2-d game's Ridley. But even then, that ridley looked a lot more similar to Prime Ridley, Sakamoto is simply being a d*ck.
That's only for the commercial, which is of course because they didn't want to create an entirely new model for just a commercial, so they just reused the one they had. The original Ridley is never seen in-game.
I knew I wasn't crazy. Well it's not exactly what I thought it was, and it's probably not canon seeing as it's a commercial only. My mind is playing tricks on me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
@ Zem-raj Zem-raj I know Sakamoto directed good Metroid games, but he also directed easily the worst one. Paraphrasing Wariofan1:

"I think Metroid needs some fresh blood to develop it, so I'm happy with it."

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
@ Zem-raj Zem-raj I know Sakamoto directed good Metroid games, but he also directed easily the worst one. Paraphrasing Wariofan1:

"I think Metroid needs some fresh blood to develop it, so I'm happy with it."
I wonder what made him just decide "Hey, we need Samus to be more complex" or w/e in the first place. She was already a fine, well fleshed out character. By trying to flesh her out more the way they did, they honestly made her more simple to me anyway.

Especially....THAT scene. Though if Ridley being on the field makes Samus freeze for a free 50% combo, I might not mind it as much.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What I do think they should do is further emphasize Ridley and his personality, they don't need to make him talk in Japanese or English (they could make him speak an alien language however), but they need to get him out of the perception of "mindless monster" that detractors wrongly often see him as, when we know he's intelligent (as Nintendo and Sakurai have pointed out) and a great strategist.
I want him to be placed in the helm of a spaceship, giving orders to his subordinates. Talking isn't necessary.

EDIT:
I wonder what made him just decide "Hey, we need Samus to be more complex" or w/e in the first place. She was already a fine, well fleshed out character. By trying to flesh her out more the way they did, they honestly made her more simple to me anyway.

Especially....THAT scene. Though if Ridley being on the field makes Samus freeze for a free 50% combo, I might not mind it as much.
Samus had something like that happen in the manga, right?
I feel that it was more justified there because that Ridley was capable of speech and started taunting her in the most horrible way possible. I guess. Manga Ridley feels so violent yet still sane and calculating all the while.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I recall reading an article (or something) where Sakamoto said that was always his vision of Samus' character. A true shame that his vision of the character is stupid, sexist and isn't compatible with the vision 99% of the Metroid fandom had of her. If you take out Samus' stupid characterization, Adam Malkovich and a few other details, Metroid Other M wouldn't have been THAT bad. The gameplay wasn't Prime-tier, but wasn't unplayable either.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I recall reading an article (or something) where Sakamoto said that was always his vision of Samus' character. A true shame that his vision of the character is stupid, sexist and isn't compatible with the vision 99% of the Metroid fandom had of her. If you take out Samus' stupid characterization, Adam Malkovich and a few other details, Metroid Other M wouldn't have been THAT bad. The gameplay wasn't Prime-tier, but wasn't unplayable either.
This makes me wonder, what made the original (2D) Metroid titles so fun to play? I'm currently playing fusion (ambassador program eeeeeeeeeee) and I'm enjoying it so far, but I want to hear the opinions of others on it.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

That just have me an idea for a reveal trailer.
Samus is walking down a dark corridor which leads to pyrosphere
She comes to the middle of the stage only to find Roidley/Ridley hybrid zipping towards her, though it is unclear it's Ridley as he is shrouded in the shadows
Samus then readies her gun and aim sporadically trying to locate the dragon
Then he swoops down with the splash saying "Ridley makes a BIG entrance"
But then before Ridley rips into Samus you hear someone say "You got NO style!"
"Anothny Higgs is remembered!"
It then cuts to gameplay of Ridley destroying Samus and then Anthony coming to help her in defeating Ridley.
And at the very end of the trailer it shows Anthony and Samus next to a defeated Ridley as they "celebrate" their victory
Only for the camera to zoom into Ridley's eye as it opens right before the cut to the copyright screen.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
I don't know if I want to beat on the guy for making a bad game, I mean they like to innovate because its something new and they want to use their imagination a little. This can be a very good thing or a very bad one.

And something like this is probably going to happen in the future as well, we just have to hope for the best, and like others said, give metroid to some other people so they can work their magic and make a truly great game.

Hell platinum games made a whole new engine for just one game, and that game was metal gear rising and it was fantastic, but it was only so fantastic because they had all the freedom in the world to do it. Limiting developers on mechanics usually ends up like metroid other M.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
She comes to the middle of the stage only to find Roidley/Ridley hybrid zipping towards her, though it is unclear it's Ridley as he is shrouded in the shadows
It then cuts to gameplay of Ridley destroying Samus and then Anthony coming to help her in defeating Ridley.
And at the very end of the trailer it shows Anthony and Samus next to a defeated Ridley as they "celebrate" their victory
Only for the camera to zoom into Ridley's eye as it opens right before the cut to the copyright screen.
I'd prefer something that reminds people less of that scene.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I'd prefer something that reminds people less of that scene.
I guess I should have driven the point home that I was joking about all of that. Anyhow it's pretty clear that ridley has top priority, then a hunter like Syllux or Rundas, and then Anthony.

EDIT--------
Unless people got the joke and I'm just not funny

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
its kinda tough being a fan of ridley without really having any experience with metroid... because i am completely out of the loop when it comes to the stories and details of the games and characters.

i played a bit of metroid and super metroid, but never got anywhere in them cause i sucked at them, and eventually moved on to other games.

wasnt just metroid, i missed out on several great game series, it seems... thats a bit off topic though, so i'll avoid talking about that.

anyway... its a bit too late to get into the metroid games now, i think... just too many of them, and i cant access or play alot of them at this point in time.

it really sucks, because i cant join in on all these conversations about ridley and the discussions about the games in general.

all these moments of ridley supposedly dying and coming back, his behavior in the games... i'll never experience them. :sadeyes:

just another reason i want him to be playable in SSB4, so i can enjoy ridley in all his glory.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
Greetings, fellow believers! I have long searched for a place that supports our glorious Ridley, and at last I have found my perfect sanctuary. After years of fighting the unstoppable hordes of Toobigotry, this is a place I can rest and be happy.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Greetings, fellow believers! I have long searched for a place that supports our glorious Ridley, and at last I have found my perfect sanctuary. After years of fighting the unstoppable hordes of Toobigotry, this is a place I can rest and be happy.
Welcome to the forums and the Ridley supporters, and never drink the water!

Neo Zero

Welcome to the Ridley thread, you're among friends now : )

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
If waking up every day with the fear of that one PotD that casually deconfirms Ridley as a boss is what your idea of peace and rest is, then come on in!
Ok, it isn't that extreme, but welcome to the club!

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the Ridley thread, you're among friends now : )
Thank you, brother Neo Zero!

If waking up every day with the fear of that one PotD that casually deconfirms Ridley as a boss is what your idea of peace and rest is, then come on in!
Ok, it isn't that extreme, but welcome to the club!
Thank you, brother SmilingMad! Due to your fabulous greeting I shall ignore that you're a backpokin' snake and by god you'll die like one! the fact that you have doubts of our glorious king.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Thank you, brother Neo Zero!

Thank you, brother SmilingMad! Due to your fabulous greeting I shall ignore that you're a backpokin' snake and by god you'll die like one! the fact that you have doubts of our glorious king.
Since you're new Giveaway, I won't get to angry at you, but please don't double post. If no one has posted since you have, please use the edit feature instead : )

Or we'll have to feed you to the Birdley's

Weavel

Smash Ace
Welcome my brother.

There is free cheetos and dip for Ridley believers, Why not chips and dip you ask? We liked to taste the unexpected and whats against the norm such as the detractors beliefs that Ridley will not be playable.

Don't hate me for this, I tried to sound funny.

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
Since you're new Giveaway, I won't get to angry at you, but please don't double post. If no one has posted since you have, please use the edit feature instead : )

Or we'll have to feed you to the Birdley's
Thank you, friend. I was going to edit but I forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I just stated a thing and people attack it like a swarm of bees around Nicholas Cage's head.

I find it funny how people get so emotionally worked up over this. Which is why I probably won't stop by again, it's tiresome trying to discuss with people who have zero interest having an actual, civil discussion.
If you had your head out of your ass you would realize why people were disagreeing with you.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I want him to be placed in the helm of a spaceship, giving orders to his subordinates. Talking isn't necessary.
Samus had something like that happen in the manga, right?
I feel that it was more justified there because that Ridley was capable of speech and started taunting her in the most horrible way possible. I guess. Manga Ridley feels so violent yet still sane and calculating all the while.
Talking would still be nice if right voice would be chosed. Not just voice actor.
That is not why she had PTSD in manga. She saw him 2nd time and 1st time she saw him, it was few seconds before he killed her mother in a horrible way (with fire). So, it is more justified. Maybe Ridley and Space Pirates were not actually talking on English or whatever language Samus understands. She doesn`t answers to him anyway.
I guess I should have driven the point home that I was joking about all of that. Anyhow it's pretty clear that ridley has top priority, then a hunter like Syllux or Rundas, and then Anthony.
It is Samus>Ridley>Dark Samus>Sylux/a bounty hunter not called Samus>ZSS>Omega Pirate or just a generic Space Pirate>Adam>Anthony. Yes, i put ZSS below Sylux/any bounty hunter not called Samus because she is not important part of Metroid and she is still Samus, and Samus is enough, so, she was unnecessary.
@Giveaway412, welcome aboard, don`t drink the wateh and pray for a true peace in space! And remember: toaster toasts toasts while Ridley toasts bounty hunter in a orange power suit. Oh, and mah boi, Ridley in Smash 4 is what all true space pirates strive for! I wonder what's for DINNER right now!
(GET THE REFERENCES, someone because gee, it sure is BORING around here, i just wonder what's Sakurai is up to!)

Anyway, remember that Ridley image (Ridley in it had pretty long limbs, only 3 fingers on feet and hands and a head that is not as big as classic Ridley`s) i posted yesterday...or 2 days ago...would you be ok with Smash 4 design if it somehow would be close to this one at least in terms of how it looks, which is possible, but not likely?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If you had your head out of your *** you would realize why people were disagreeing with you.
We discussed this, Nat Perry thinks Ridley won't be playable and his logic is flawed because of the second post, but shut up about the arguments, Roger also didn't believe us, but he is going to get hate from outside this place, so deal with it!

And I see we have fresh meat. Welcome Giveaway412, if you want to see why Ridley has a extremly high chance of being playable, go to the second post on the first page, it will shatter your doubts

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Yeah, it's very refreshing to see a place where Ridley fans (like myself) can discuss his potential inclusion without being swarmed by tons of detractors saying that we're delusional that we think he should be playable. But anyways, welcome to the thread!!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Log 02.008.2013
We have received information of news in regards to some multi-universal battle, again taking place in a world known as the Super Smash Bros. This peculiar world pits warriors of various worlds and universes against each other, and are turned into trophies by the ruler known as Master Hand, created by a being named Masahiro Sakurai. We are not sure how this came to be, but we have found that our enemy, the Hunter, is amongst the returning competitors in this battle. Our great leader geoform 187, code-named Ridley, continues to be restless because of this. Our leader is angry that he has not had a chance to fight back against the Hunter under his own independent glorious leadership, as he has merely been given a lesser role under our previous leader Mother Brain and the Dark Hunter, as well as being under control under the mysterious creature named Tabuu. It is in our best interests that Ridley joins in the battle against the Hunter and the supposed Heroes of the various universes, with glory, and defeat the Hunter once and for all, not confined to a mere "stage" code-named "Pyrosphere". Glory to the Space Pirates!

Log 02.082.0140
Reports suggest that our numbers seem to increase day by day, more and more recruits joining the Space Pirates and our vision in controlling the universe. Our leader is pleased. However, it was advised by our science teams that drinking the liquid substance, known as "Splounge Water", should not be consumed, due to the fact that it would cause side effects including hallucinations, illogical thought patterns, and foolishness amongst the ranks. Anyone caught drinking this substance will be confined to the sick bay until they have returned to their senses, and in the meantime they are used for experiments by our science teams. If the symptoms worsen and cannot be treated, they are then placed in the quarantine bay, and then exiled to a nearby uncharted planet. Our leader Ridley believes that there should be no mercy for those who have no loyalty to him, our leader's vision, and the Space Pirates.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, it's very refreshing to see a place where Ridley fans (like myself) can discuss his potential inclusion without being swarmed by tons of detractors saying that we're delusional that we think he should be playable. But anyways, welcome to the thread!!
Um, BravadoMan, I hate to say it, but that is EXACTLY why this thread is over 1300 pages long.

EDIT: That and off-topic discussion, but detractors are the far bigger reason.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us One of us

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Man, I can't believe its been almost a year. In 2 and 1/2 weeks we'll be 'celebrating' the pyrosphere announcement (And me joining the forums:awesome:). Hopefully we really do get a reveal this month..

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Whenever someone says "Why don't you just want another Metroid newcomer?" this is the image that pops up in my head
http://nerdragecomic.com/index.php?date=2014-07-25
Someone actually says that? Wow...why would we want someone absolutely unimportant instead of 2nd main character that is the 2nd most important characer to Metroid? Its like saying "Why don`t you just want Fawful or *instert name of someone who is not worth of replacing Bowser and is 0 compared to him, it includes Fawful too, no offence, but it is true* instead of Bowser?".

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Oh. My. Freaking. God.
Well, I guess I just spent my time from 1AM to 6AM by reading the rest of the thread I haven't read. What a wild ride that was....The Nat Perry thing, RogersBase's useless argument, random drawings, yadda yadda yadda..

On topic: My least favorite thing is looking through youtube comments of people saying why Ridley isn't in. So frustrating.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
A little sketch of Ridley's handsome mug I did before holidays occurred and didn't have access to pen and school scraps paper anymore. Having a scanner sure is nice, huh?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Someone actually says that? Wow...why would we want someone absolutely unimportant instead of 2nd main character that is the 2nd most important characer to Metroid? Its like saying "Why don`t you just want Fawful or *instert name of someone who is not worth of replacing Bowser and is 0 compared to him, it includes Fawful too, no offence, but it is true* instead of Bowser?".
To be fair, I could see Fawful getting in as another Mario rep, he's extremely popular and very prominent in the Mario and Luigi series and he'd be a great spinoff character to promote. Granted, he'd never replace Bowser of course. :p

Similarly, if other Metroid characters become more prominent, I could potentially see one of them making it in. But not in front of Ridley, there's no way.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Usually when I get into an argument with a detractor, I ask them which Metroid rep would be better than Ridley, The most common answer is Anthony, but those with enough brain cells to do the research that Anthony does about nothing and gets offed about a third into the game by Everyone's Favourite Space Dragon will respond with Sylux or another hunter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know what the best thing about Ridley's signs of being playable are? Getting to do this:

And then if they complain, they will be hated and called butthurt. Slightly offtopic now, but could a moderator tell me which curse words are allowed? There is one that I want to use but think it isn't allowed

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
With all the talk about Other M's shortfalls, I thought I might chip in my own thoughts.

However, I think the guys over at Extra Credits said almost everything I could say, and did it more elegantly and with pretty pictures.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I might be only one of the few who want this, but I'd love to have a reveal of both Ridley AND Anthony. too bad it'll never happen.....

Top Bottom