• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zynux

Smash Lord
Charizard`s (or Meta Knight`s?) wings don`t count as his hurtboxes, so, same can be done with Ridley. Ridley`s tail is known to be invincible in all games except for 1st one, so, it will be illogical to add hurtboxes to it. Its like adding them to Ike`s sword, but harder to explain.
It completely depends on the model that they use for him. For example, if they rip Meta-Ridley right out Prime 1, his massive wing span (despite his small body) would need to be adjusted.

Ridley's wings and tail are naturally far larger (usually) then Charizard's, so it's natural that it may cause concern. Yes, his wings and tail won't have hurtboxes attached to them, but if they're too big (heh), then players will have problems discerning where Ridley can receive damage.

Of course, I firmly believe that this issue will not be problematic to keep Ridley out of Smash. Meta-Ridley's wings in Brawl was already resized from Prime 1's model (possibly for this very reason). Also, I'm confident that Ridley will have his own, unique model for this game, regardless of his role. Thus, I am sure that his wing span (and tail) there will be proportionate to his model.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm sorry.

I guess I'll start with the good point because there's some points you deserves credits for.

First, THANKS for not mixing want and expect. I saw way too much people doing it and I'm glad that you're not one of them.

Second, at least you went there. There's just a little thing that I need to talk that I had a little issue with...

There's only one argument I heard that was slightly mentioned here that you did mentioned: the trophy theory.

Here's the problem: the theory alone is based on other tease that isn't really in the same category as the 10 seconds. If you want my honest opinion on it, it doesn't holds any logical evidence to back it up so I don't have any reason to believe such things.

But those 10 seconds?

I'll tell you why it would contradicts Sakurai of teasing as boss.

First, you acknowledged his appearance in brawl. Teasing him doing the same thing would literally be nothing new does that feel weird to be teased anyway?

To tell you a personal example, that would be like teasing the Paper Peach trophy. That doesn't make any sense and the trophy was just showed like many others.

And second, because 3 confirmed cases happened the same way and it ended playable (there's another one that is happening since July 29, but I'll let you figure that one out).

Little Mac, Palutena and Greninja. All those have one thing in common: a stage was revealed before their confirmation in which the character was particularly related to it. Sakurai omited to be clear on a crucial information on purpose and all of them was who actually this stage is for?

Boxing ring: not clear, but people implied global EXCEPT supporters who got punch out reference (trust me on this one, I was lurking on Little Mac's thread, that's what happened).

Palutena's temple: not clear so people implied generic kid icarus or pit EXCEPT supporters who got that this stage being centred on Palutena without her would feel weird.

Greninja in my knowledge, almost no one got it, but it was implied to rep the series in general while it was to rep the 6G.

August 20 isn't clear on what Ridley do here so people would imply hazard (he talks about him being in a boss fight in the caption, but canon). EXCEPT supporters because seeing the same location where you actually fight him and not seeing him would be weird.

What solve the question is the direct: if he was hazard, he would've been showed before (that, I can literally provide you dozens of evidences).

Won't continue because you already read about it (at least you told me).

The thing is, you shouldn't have any regrets on making this video and actually, I'll even go as far to say that people in this thread should be ok with this video (that contradicts my post, but I'll explain).

See, I know his pattern now. I know because I'm living it right now. On this site, I'm probably the biggest Paper Mario supporter out there. So, you might have guessed that I was hype Tuesday, but now, I realised it was a tease.

I will not elaborate on this, but I can tell you one thing: the first to consider was me and supporters (I own his thread, I can confirms you this) and the first to deny it was the non supporter / dislikers.

Why? because you need to care enough to even check the evidences deep enough. Same with every cases now, but Ridley...was designed for his fanbase.

Even the direct made some people like you made the same thing: stop expecting him. Is that ok for such a determinate fanbase? Yes.

What I want to tell you is that Sakurai do his tease by selecting his target which are the most determinate supporters of a character. If he knows how Ridley fanbase is solid, he will do a very cryptic teasing to make the most people misleads, but not enough for us to get it.

So, you may like Ridley, but maybe the tease was too much and so, you denied it. It may have to do with your determinations or how much you care about him, but you weren't alone to do the same thing.

So, I hate to say this, but you weren't his target. The tease will not work on you, but that's a good thing because when it will be revealed, it will generate more hype and in the meantime it happens, your video will generate speculation after talking with the one that were targeted and got the tease.

So, thanks for making this video, you may not know, but it helps his case.

If it sounds unprovable, it's because it's not something I expect you to understand if you didn't got his case. What I can tell you is that since Tuesday, I think he's almost confirmed (I actually already posted my explanation here, but if you disagreed with the essay, you will here so would be wasting your time to read it).

D

Deleted member

Just pick a song from F-Zero, any song, they're all great.
Then I pick Blood Falcon's. It's mah fav. :p
Probably because it affects me on a personal level....

...but that's getting too off-topic for the Ridley thread.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I don't know how to feel, I was molded in the walls of the Ridley Thread, I don't know what it's like on the outside anymore.
I know exactly what you mean.
I have yet to notice it as I refuse to participate in shadow analysis. I will just take your word for it, however.
I would ask why, but I'm exhausted.

Goodnight, Gentlemen.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I seriously think sakurai could make any character possible for smash. I even said in my own Ridley video that he could make mashed potato a character.

Morbi

Scavenger
I seriously think sakurai could make any character possible for smash. I even said in my own Ridley video that he could make mashed potato a character.
I am honestly not that confident in his abilities, but hypothetically speaking, I am sure that he has the means to make any character possible. Honestly, with him tackling characters he never thought possible before, such as Villager... it only makes me more excited to see what he will do with Ridley.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Give or take 30 seconds until the boards crash the moment Ridley is confirmed/deconfirmed?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But he can`t make Ridley because he is too big and SSB4 developers can`t finish Ridley in 1 year.
Seriously, those comments are insulting to those developers because that means they are so incompetent they couldn`t finish a simple stage hazard in 1 year.

Morbi

Scavenger
But he can`t make Ridley because he is too big and SSB4 developers can`t finish Ridley in 1 year.
Seriously, those comments are insulting to those developers because that means they are so incompetent they couldn`t finish a simple stage hazard in 1 year.
Unless that very same stage-hazard was an extremely low priority. In that event, it insinuates no such thing.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
I was playing MP3 Corruption today, and I was fighting Omega Ridley. Now if there's two things I've noticed about him it's he's fighting on the ground and he's significantly small.

Dunno if this was already posted by someone else tho ._.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I was playing MP3 Corruption today, and I was fighting Omega Ridley. Now if there's two things I've noticed about him it's he's fighting on the ground and he's significantly small.

That is not the best example of him fighting on the ground. This one is:
Here, he fights better on the ground than in the air.

Is he smaller in MP3 or Other M?
... So basically you are implying that we should have Omega Ridley for Smash? :troll:
I think he means Ridley can`t be playable beacuse he is too small and fights only on the ground :troll::troll:
Ok, i know what you actually wanted to say. Ridley CAN fight on the ground and he is NOT THAT BIG in MP3 (at least as Omega Ridley, Meta Ridley is really too big in that game).

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Wow I feel like a massive idiot. I've been more pro Ridley lately and I've seen the shadow/size argument, but I never noticed how it looks like his shadow has a different looking animation when you first start to see it. Kinda looks like a jump and descent up to the point where it looks like he jumps again in mid air. How did I not see this until now? I've been in a giant Ridley thread and I'm just noticing this...I'm so dumb.

And remember...Pyrosphere has platforms.
For posterity's sake, wanna point out the jump and glide by listing the frames in which they occur?
http://gfycat.com/SentimentalBronzeIndianrhinoceros

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Plus, I would really like to play this version rather than this one.
Then you don`t have to worry about that. They already choosed Other M design over classic one for either boss (f**k no) or a playable character. Not 1:1 rip from Other M, but at least based off Other M Ridley. And i like that decision. If they will fix his beak, then i will like this design more than classic one.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Just stopping by here one more time. I don't plan on posting here anymore, it's a waste of my time and it's not worth trying to get a discussion going when it's just me versus the entire thread; in this case it became a battle of wits, or a battle of who was the better person.

Just want to say, sorry for calling you guys childish. It was a dіck move, and while I believe my points to be valid, I felt like others were insulting my intelligence in saying my points were invalid, dumb, irrational, childish, etc. and thus returned the favor in directing insults at other people. I don't apologize for the points I tried contribute to my argument. I do apologize for how I went about dealing with everyone else.

I won't post here again. And I am sorry to anyone I may have hurt.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
Then you don`t have to worry about that. They already choosed Other M design for either boss (f**k no) or a playable character. Not 1:1 rip from Other M, but at least based off Other M Ridley.
Right

Ridley can be a character.
Clone Ridley can be a stage boss.
It could work.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just stopping by here one more time. I don't plan on posting here anymore, it's a waste of my time and it's not worth trying to get a discussion going when it's just me versus the entire thread; in this case it became a battle of wits, or a battle of who was the better person.

Just want to say, sorry for calling you guys childish. It was a dіck move, and while I believe my points to be valid, I felt like others were insulting my intelligence in saying my points were invalid, dumb, irrational, childish, etc. and thus returned the favor in directing insults at other people. I don't apologize for the points I tried contribute to my argument. I do apologize for how I went about dealing with everyone else.

Thank you very much for the apology, Nat. I do not speak for the entire thread, of course; however, I am glad that you took the time to clear that issue up. It was not only the result of your actions, but the results of our actions as well. So, please forgive us, I do hope that you reconsider your stance.

D

Deleted member

Nah, just kidding. Apology accepted.:b:

Last edited by a moderator:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Right

Ridley can be a character.
Clone Ridley can be a stage boss.
It could work.
Either too perfect to be possible OR Ridley`s classic design will clash/look odd/whatever with Samus, ZSS and few other Metroid things being based off Other M. Like if you would use Samus` NES design instead of Other M one while ZSS has design based off Other M. Or if Ganondorf will be based off his Wind Waker design in Sm4sh while other characters use Skyward Sword-like designs, even Toon Link. So, either hybrid, Roidley redesign/revamp/whatever or pure Roidley.

@ N Nat Perry , thanks for your apology to the thread, that is something no other detractors did (maybe except for Jerry, i don`t remember) and no toobigots did (you aren`t one of course). Its kinda obvious that in support threads, you will most likely be against entire thread...anyway, remove word d**k or at least...um...censor it. That is part of the forum rules.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

just kidding, before anyone takes my image seriously... figured i'd make that clear, just to play it safe... i was just dying to use this image.

seriously, though... its not like we have anything against you, specifically, but you know this is a SUPPORT thread, and you just kept whacking the dragon wasp hive with a stick, believing you were right to do so... and apparently still do.

not sure what you mean by "battle of wits" or "battle of who was the better person"... it was more a battle of... you upsetting people, and them trying to have a civil conversation with you at first, but you just continuing to spout the exact same thing without even considering our evidence and expecting us to agree with you, from the sound of it.

anyway, no point in continuing that...

the apology sounds slightly back-handed if you ask me... but whatever.

back to ridley discussions, jokes, drawings, and pairings!

i still think ridley and jigglypuff would be cute together. :D

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
People who use Bowser as the "Scale" of who can be the biggest are stupid. I suspect Ridley will be the biggest playable character.
Thing is, he CANNOT be a lot bigger than Bowser if he was to be ingame. Why? Because of platforms. Rermember, Bowser can easily hit characters standing on the platforms on Battlefield, while standing below them. His hurtbox almost touches the platforms too. Now, if Ridley was to be bigger than Bowser, his hurtbox STILL needs to be below the Platform, or else it would a) look ridiculous and b) hurt Ridleys viability a lot since he could get hit by dair or downtilts from people standing on the platform.

Sadly, i couldn't find a picture with bowser, so have one from Melee featuring Link :

TL;DR : Ridley cannot be taller than the space between mainplatform and the lower platforms. Bowser already comes close to that height. Which is why Ridley estimated at around Bowsers height is logical.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Thing is, he CANNOT be a lot bigger than Bowser if he was to be ingame. Why? Because of platforms. Rermember, Bowser can easily hit characters standing on the platforms on Battlefield, while standing below them. His hurtbox almost touches the platforms too. Now, if Ridley was to be bigger than Bowser, his hurtbox STILL needs to be below the Platform, or else it would a) look ridiculous and b) hurt Ridleys viability a lot since he could get hit by dair or downtilts from people standing on the platform.

Sadly, i couldn't find a picture with bowser, so have one from Melee featuring Link :

TL;DR : Ridley cannot be taller than the space between mainplatform and the lower platforms. Bowser already comes close to that height. Which is why Ridley estimated at around Bowsers height is logical.
Also bowser is now clipping ever so slightly on battlefield, his hair pops out of the top, they might adjust the platform height because of this, seeing as the e3 build is from like march, but as it's stands, if the spike on ridley's wing were to protrude it wouldn't be uncommon.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I still think the "unfinished for SSB Direct" excuse is stupid. The stage was shown 8 months prior to that Direct, so I'm pretty sure that time frame is enough to get a stage hazard done in. Even if it were the case that he "wasn't finished" for that Direct, Sakurai could have easily shown Ridley in a still picture in a PotD soon afterwards, since still pictures don't need fully functioning animations. Then there's the case of not showing or mentioning Ridley at E3 2014, the biggest video game event of the year, and didn't feature the Pyrosphere stage in the demo. Then after that, Sakurai didn't show or mention Ridley between E3 and the Robin and Lucina reveal. If he's playable, and has some things left to complete, I can understand that, but if for an unplayable role? There's no way Ridley would be still "unfinished" right now ._.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Either too perfect to be possible OR Ridley`s classic design will clash/look odd/whatever with Samus, ZSS and few other Metroid things being based off Other M. Like if you would use Samus` NES design instead of Other M one while ZSS has design based off Other M. Or if Ganondorf will be based off his Wind Waker design in Sm4sh while other characters use Skyward Sword-like designs, even Toon Link. So, either hybrid, Roidley redesign/revamp/whatever or pure Roidley.
The difference here is that playing with Ridley's classic design means we're actually playing as the real Ridley, and not a deformed clone of him, since the real Ridley never appeared in Other M it'd make sense that way. It's too much of a pipe dream though, we're getting Roidley or nothing it seems, hopefully we can play as the real Ridley in the next installment then.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The difference here is that playing with Ridley's classic design means we're actually playing as the real Ridley, and not a deformed clone of him, since the real Ridley never appeared in Other M it'd make sense that way. It's too much of a pipe dream though, we're getting Roidley or nothing it seems, hopefully we can play as the real Ridley in the next installment then.
Unless the next Metroid installment has a clone of Roidley

Leading to a large line of cloning that dilutes the Ridley gene further and further.

It'd be like space inbreeding.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Leading to a large line of cloning that dilutes the Ridley gene further and further.

I like to believe they're gonna stop the damn cloning now that Sakamoto has no further interest in the franchise, they can always bring the real Ridley back as he's survived being exploded a ton of times, or they could just keep making games that fit somewhere in-between Metroid 1 and Super Metroid.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I like to believe they're gonna stop the damn cloning now that Sakamoto has no further interest in the franchise, they can always bring the real Ridley back as he's survived being exploded a ton of times, or they could just keep making games that fit somewhere in-between Metroid 1 and Super Metroid.
Are you telling me that Sakamoto is not gonna be the director of the next Metroid game? If so, you just made my day!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

I have my own theory (s) regarding that fact.

#1 : Ridley is able to perfectly adapt to his environment. His prime design has those anorexic looking features because he "evolved" from Birdie to what we know as Ridley on a different PLANET than Roidley. Possibly with lower gravitation than the bottleship in Other M (because Roidley looks bulkier), different kinds of hazards, possibly the need to travel to a different planet because of lack of food etc. So it wouldn't be Roidley being degenerated, but evloving differently because of his environment.

#2 : His evolution could have ties to what he eats in his incubation stages. I'd imagine he could have absorbed features of the things like Kihunter he ate in Other M , and thus developed differently from Ridley. The fact he looks at least a little like a space-pirate could mean he ate one (or more) of them in his earlier iteration as Ridley in Prime-.

#3 : Roidley looks that way not because of evolution, but the lack thereof: He is an EARLIER stage of Ridley, not yet fully evlolved to the Cunning God of Death we all know and love.

And on the topic which i'd prefer: Actually, I'd prefer a mix: Roidleys body (maybe a little thinner) with Ridleys head. (of course thats oversimplified, but yknow...)

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
At least he does not intend to return to the franchise anytime soon as he'd rather focus on new things.

It's no surprise honestly, I doubt Nintendo would let him make another Metroid game anytime soon too after Other M's reception. I think Metroid needs some fresh blood to develop it, so I'm happy with it.
I hate how team ninja gets a bad rap for that. That was purely Sakamoto's fault, team ninja just have us the gameplay, which I enjoyed.

I have my own theory (s) regarding that fact.

#1 : Ridley is able to perfectly adapt to his environment. His prime design has those anorexic looking features because he "evolved" from Birdie to what we know as Ridley on a different PLANET than Roidley. Possibly with lower gravitation than the bottleship in Other M (because Roidley looks bulkier), different kinds of hazards, possibly the need to travel to a different planet because of lack of food etc. So it wouldn't be Roidley being degenerated, but evloving differently because of his environment.

#2 : His evolution could have ties to what he eats in his incubation stages. I'd imagine he could have absorbed features of the things like Kihunter he ate in Other M , and thus developed differently from Ridley. The fact he looks at least a little like a space-pirate could mean he ate one (or more) of them in his earlier iteration as Ridley in Prime-.

#3 : Roidley looks that way not because of evolution, but the lack thereof: He is an EARLIER stage of Ridley, not yet fully evlolved to the Cunning God of Death we all know and love.

And on the topic which i'd prefer: Actually, I'd prefer a mix: Roidleys body (maybe a little thinner) with Ridleys head. (of course thats oversimplified, but yknow...)
Isn't there a cutscenes in that game, Other M, that shows Ridley looking like a darker roidley with yellow eyes? Obviously it's supposed to be some new canonical design for Ridley if that's the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Warning Received
Isn't there a cutscenes in that game, Other M, that shows Ridley looking like a darker roidley with yellow eyes? Obviously it's supposed to be some new canonical design for Ridley if that's the case.
Yes because they modified not the prime game's but the 2-d game's Ridley. But even then, that ridley looked a lot more similar to Prime Ridley, Sakamoto is simply being a d*ck.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's only for the commercial, which is of course because they didn't want to create an entirely new model for just a commercial, so they just reused the one they had. The original Ridley is never seen in-game.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Are you telling me that Sakamoto is not gonna be the director of the next Metroid game? If so, you just made my day!
To be fair, Sakamoto did direct for great Metroid games, like Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, so people shouldn't really call him terrible just because of one game. However, Metroid: Other M does show that it might be time for Sakamoto to move on from Metroid, and thus someone else (with respect for the series and Samus) should take over. Shigeru Miyamoto was a producer of Metroid Prime, and we all know how that turned out; the (currently) best-selling Metroid game to date. He even said that the style of Prime suited the Metroid series much better than the traditional scrolling. This is probably because when you're behind Samus' visor, it feels like you're experiencing the isolationism and lonely atmosphere in the eyes of Samus, a fundamental feature that the series is known for. That's not to say that Samus can't meet up with allies like in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Metroid: Other M, but teaming up shouldn't make the entire story. Samus is a bounty hunter, so she would need to meet up with clients, such as the Galactic Federation, and she's a human being so she would need to do something when she's not working, such as socialising (in Other M she has a small chat with Anthony, whilst in one of Zero Mission's endings, she is seen in what looks like a bar/pub). What I do think they should do is further emphasize Ridley and his personality, they don't need to make him talk in Japanese or English (they could make him speak an alien language however), but they need to get him out of the perception of "mindless monster" that detractors wrongly often see him as, when we know he's intelligent (as Nintendo and Sakurai have pointed out) and a great strategist.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I hate how team ninja gets a bad rap for that. That was purely Sakamoto's fault, team ninja just have us the gameplay, which I enjoyed.

I merged it this time, but please be more careful of double posting mate. If no one's posted, use the edit feature : )

Can't say I'll miss Sakamoto though...

Top Bottom