• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Usually when I get into an argument with a detractor, I ask them which Metroid rep would be better than Ridley, The most common answer is Anthony, but those with enough brain cells to do the research that Anthony does about nothing and gets offed about a third into the game by Everyone's Favourite Space Dragon will respond with Sylux or another hunter.
Dark Samus is a lot more likely than Sylux or any other bounty hunters not called Samus because it is a lot more important to Metroid Prime series than those hunters. Unfortunately, it has "Samus" in it and since not EVERYONE knows who that Samus guy is, it will be confusing. Still, Dark Samus is nothing compared to Ridley, so, it will most likely not get in before Ridley.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Dark Samus is a lot more likely than Sylux or any other bounty hunters not called Samus because it is a lot more important to Metroid Prime series than those hunters. Unfortunately, it has "Samus" in it and since not EVERYONE knows who that Samus guy is, it will be confusing. Still, Dark Samus is nothing compared to Ridley, so, it will most likely not get in before Ridley.
Ya, pre-direct I heard the more reasonable detractors say Dark Samus, although after the direct majority of those people now support Sylux

With all the talk about Other M's shortfalls, I thought I might chip in my own thoughts.

However, I think the guys over at Extra Credits said almost everything I could say, and did it more elegantly and with pretty pictures.

This video actually made me remember how much I like Extra Credits, but going back and watching some of their videos I realized something...
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is probably done development.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, it's a decent, awesome romp.

At some point in the movie, some character dies, but is reborn from some fragments of the original body and is currently a child.

The whole thing just reminded me of Ridley's cloning after his death, except that people are more concrete in their stance that Ridley and Ridley's clone are two separate characters, and that's why he can be both a boss and a playable character.

To be honest, I think that if Roidley's design was actually good, I think people wouldn't be so keen to separate him from the original as "just a clone" and wouldn't spend as much time figuring out ways to bring back "the original".
But everyone knows Dark Pit is all but guaranteed to get in as his own character!

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
^ It does make me wonder why Dark Pit would even get his own slot... he just seems to be so overwhelmingly unpopular, why would Sakurai add a character like that?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The whole thing just reminded me of Ridley's cloning after his death, except that people are more concrete in their stance that Ridley and Roidley's clone are two separate characters, and that's why he can be both a boss and a playable character.

To be honest, I think that if Roidley's design was actually good, I think people wouldn't be so keen to separate him from the original as "just a clone" and wouldn't spend as much time figuring out ways to bring back "the original".

But everyone knows Dark Pit is all but guaranteed to get in as his own character!
Still i think it won`t happen (Roidley = boss, Ridley = playable, w00t!) because Samus and ZSS already are based off their Other M design and we got Pyrosphere, so, this time Metroid representation is mostly based off Metroid Other M with few exceptions. Maybe next time. But not in Smash 4.

And if that will happen before someone like Medusa will get in to represent KI (i don`t really know her, but i know her roles in previous games), then...?! And if it will happen before Ridley, i will just explode. Or before Dark Samus, but it won`t be as powerful. At least it is not Samus' clone and doesn't looks exactly like Samus, with maybe few unnoticable differences.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Still i think it won`t happen (Roidley = boss, Ridley = playable, w00t!) because Samus and ZSS already are based off their Other M design and we got Pyrosphere, so, this time Metroid representation is mostly based off Metroid Other M with few exceptions.

And if that will happen before someone like Medusa will get in to represent KI (i don`t really know her, but i know her roles in previous games), then...?! And if it will happen before Ridley, i will just explode. Or before Dark Samus. At least it is not Samus' clone and doesn't looks exactly like Samus, with maybe few unnoticable differences.
Call me an optimistic fool, but the very worst-case scenario I can imagine concerning Ridley in Smash Bros is that he is playable, but has the exact same model as the Other M version. Which isn't so bad, they can simply fall back on older designs in future Smash Bros. games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Call me an optimistic fool, but the very worst-case scenario I can imagine concerning Ridley in Smash Bros is that he is playable, but has the exact same model as the Other M version. Which isn't so bad, they can simply fall back on older designs in future Smash Bros. games.
the shadows wings are batlike, they can be folded, so it's a hybrid

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

At some point in the movie, some character dies, but is reborn from some fragments of the original body and is currently a child.

The whole thing just reminded me of Ridley's cloning after his death, except that people are more concrete in their stance that Ridley and Ridley's clone are two separate characters, and that's why he can be both a boss and a playable character.

This just made me wish Guardians of the Galaxy had a space dragon.

iiPandie

Smash Rookie
All this teasing is driving me nuts. >~< Anyways If Ridley does make it in, (Which he probably will) for some odd reason I just really want his other m incarnation to be his design. :estatic:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Is there any property that cannot be improved by the addition of a space dragon?

I mean, ok, I would have been incredibly upset had they inserted a space dragon into, say, Lord of the Rings (they already ruined that story enough). But at the same time, it would have been completely awesome.

I just want someone to go back an insert space dragons into all my favorite movies and games somehow.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Is there any property that cannot be improved by the addition of a space dragon?

I mean, ok, I would have been incredibly upset had they inserted a space dragon into, say, Lord of the Rings (the already ruined that story enough). But at the same time, it would have been completely awesome.

I just want someone to go back an insert space dragons into all my favorite movies and games somehow.
Could you imagine how much better Star Wars would be if Ridley replaced Darth Vader

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, it'll happen someday right? All we need to do is wait for the inevitable Marvel vs. Capcom vs. Nintendo game to come out. Ridley will be an unlockable fighter.

Samus joins the Avengers and Spider-Man is the Hero of Time. :troll:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Could you imagine how much better Star Wars would be if Ridley replaced Darth Vader
No no no.

Let's look at the prequel trilogy. They started so awesome. The first five minutes, until they got to the planet. And met Jar Jar.

Now imagine that everything started just the same, only when they escaped the Trade Federation, they ran into Ridley instead.

Suddenly, those movies become worth watching.

Neo Zero

No no no.

Let's look at the prequel trilogy. They started so awesome. The first five minutes, until they got to the planet. And met Jar Jar.

Now imagine that everything started just the same, only when they escaped the Trade Federation, they ran into Ridley instead.

Suddenly, those movies become worth watching.
I just thought about Ridley tearing apart Little Ani

That sounds like it deserves an Oscar.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ridley IS rasict against every other being that isn't his species, so that could work
Not exactly. Ridley isn't a Space Pirate genetically. He works with them, and commands them just fine. I'm not sure there's a xenophobic tendency there.

The Space Pirates are just cruel, authoritarian, and obsessed with power and the success of their organization.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It won`t happen, so, don't worry. They won`t use a model that is inferiour to any other character model for this game. By inferiour, i mean less detailed, smaller textures, smaller amount of verticles, etc. I doubt they will use exact same design from Other M either because they never did so for Sm4sh. If they did, please, prove that. And i hope it won`t be Conceptley because that one was hideous IMO. Worse than NES Ridley.
"Old Bird never told you about your father."

"He told me enough, he told me you killed him!"

"No. I ate him. He was delicious."
"He tastes like a chicken. Seriously."

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

The whole thing just reminded me of Ridley's cloning after his death, except that people are more concrete in their stance that Ridley and Roidley's clone are two separate characters, and that's why he can be both a boss and a playable character.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy, just saw it yesterday.

But yes, the character (not using the name to prevent spoilers) does kind of remind me of the Ridley situation.

When it comes to the clone design factor, the fact that it is a nearly entirely new design is part of the reason that Roidley is so controversial. But I like to think one of the main reasons is that right off the bat in the opening cutscene for Other M, Samus says, and I quote, "And the explosion that followed destroyed planet Zebes, along with the remains of Mother Brain, the Space Pirates, and my long-standing nemesis, Ridley." Implying that the Ridley you knew and fought against was dead, so that when you get to Roidley's fight, you didn't know what was happening. But later on you are told that some people (forgive me, I haven't finished the game and I'm breezing through transcripts) have been cloning Metroids, leading you to know that the Ridley you fought was cloned.

So, in short, I think what causes so much controversy is that your one opponent who came back time and time again was disintegrated in a planetary explosion. That he'd just die that easily. And then to find out that he was cloned. This clone was not the original, it was trying to take the old dragon's place. A place that was incapable of being taken by anyone but the original. Fans have been fighting this dragon for over 20 years, just to see him swept out of place and be so easily replaced? That's just what I think, though.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

"Old Bird never told you about your father."

"He told me enough, he told me you killed him!"

"No. I ate him. He was delicious."
You win one internet

When I return I expect the entire original Star Wars movies scripts adapted to fit Metroid instead on my desk.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not exactly. Ridley isn't a Space Pirate genetically. He works with them, and commands them just fine. I'm not sure there's a xenophobic tendency there.

The Space Pirates are just cruel, authoritarian, and obsessed with power and the success of their organization.
he has a superiority complex, so he might kill the others of when everyone else is dead

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
He fits better as General Grievous. I don`t know why exactly, but he would be awesome with 7 lighsabers, 1 of them ison his tail, 2 in his feet, 4 in his hands, which separate like General Grievous`...that would be awesome. OR 16 lighsabers, 4 of them in his hands instead of claws, 4 of them on his tail looking like a helicopter...whatever that part is called and 8 of them on his feet instead of claws. Maybe that would look RIDLEYcolous, but would still be awesome.
the shadow confirms it will be based on Roidley, but with some changes that look like Concept Artley
Nonononononono, if that means he will get his arms and maybe legs, then ok, but if something else...i would hate it more than any of you hate Roidley. I hope they will either just revamp Roidley or make a Ridley/Roidley hybrid, but not that abomination.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
He fits better as General Grievous. I don`t know why exactly, but he would be awesome with 7 lighsabers, 1 of them ison his tail, 2 in his feet, 4 in his hands, which separate like General Grievous`...that would be awesome.

Nonononononono, if that means he will get his arms and maybe legs, then ok, but if something else...i would hate it more than any of you hate Roidley. I hope they will either just revamp Roidley or make a Ridley/Roidley hybrid, but not that abomination.
I like Roidley, but the shadow looks like Roidley with different wings

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Really? Weird our community was so quiet on it, seeing how usually we jump on anything Sakurai tweets that could even vaguely be related to Smash Bros.
They probably started with the final bug-testing a long time ago, so is not much of a surprise.
I remember DKC TF being close to start "crunch time" more than a year before it launched.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Thanks! I'm glad that it make your opinion more accurate. I'm used to view both side and combining them is what is the foundation of opinions so it's always important to look both.

Also, I realised something: if my case is similar to every other one which includes yours, it's bidirectional.

If that tease helps yours, yours helps mine. Since I think for my case there's a hidden stage for trailer setup, there should be a trailer before release.

By that logic, the same goes for Ridley.

Basically, I think this month will be hyped.

Bidirectional? What does that mean?

Also, I do think it makes the most sense to reveal Ridley this month, since it's both the anniversary of Metroid, and the anniversary of the first PotD showing the Pyrosphere stage.

Still, I worry myself that I may accidentally get too cocky, and jynx it all. This is why I avoid as much heat as I can, as much as I wanna drink the tears of Shokio and...that other dude I keep forgetting. Nin10doh, I think? Somewhere in the lines of that. I really don't appreciate his attitude. >:c

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Also, I do think it makes the most sense to reveal Ridley this month, since it's both the anniversary of Metroid, and the anniversary of the first PotD showing the Pyrosphere stage.

Still, I worry myself that I may accidentally get too cocky, and jynx it all. This is why I avoid as much heat as I can, as much as I wanna drink the tears of Shokio and...that other dude I keep forgetting. Nin10doh, I think? Somewhere in the lines of that. I really don't appreciate his attitude. >:c
I'm a cocky little b*stard, and I love tempting fate, so feel free to blame me if Ridley gets disconfirmed.

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure Ridley will get his own spin-off game after Smash, it'll be featuring an all-star team of Nintendo characters who happened to all be from space: Ridley, Wolf, King Dedede, Waddle Dee and Captain Falcon.

Call it Defenders of the Cosmos.

Bonus points for a scene in the end with Little Birdie dancing to the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" while King Dedede shines his hammer.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Bidirectional means something that moves both ways, and nice to see you on a civil place! Thanks for spreading the 2nd post!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm sure Ridley will get his own spin-off game after Smash, it'll be featuring an all-star team of Nintendo characters who happened to all be from space: Ridley, Wolf, King Dedede, Waddle Dee and Captain Falcon.

Call it Defenders of the Cosmos.

Bonus points for a scene in the end with Little Birdie dancing to the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back" while King Dedede shines his hammer.
No, it will be called Ridley the Space Dragon, with a gameplay that is kinda like Other M, but with guns and more melee attacks, story will be terrible and have 10 different endings, which you must get to get the TRUE ending, so, they are pointless. Oh, and you have to start a new game to get different ending, so, you will have to complete same stage 10 times. This game will also have ONLY remixes of Ridley`s theme and nothing else as BGM. And the real ending is just King Dedede and Ridley doing either Cossack dance or Big Gay Dance, with Space Pirates and Waddle Dees randomly falling from the sky. That game will also become the best game of the year and just THE best game, unlike Shadow the Hedgehog. Why? Because RIDLEY HIMSELF will create it and sell it and he knows how to make sure it will be the best ("Give this game 10/10 perfect review and you will get 0 stabs in the head instead of 10!" and "Buy it, now, and i won't rip out your spine and then keep it as a trophy on my wall!")
...looks like i ate something wrong...

7 posts before my 1000th post.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
No, it will be called Ridley the Space Dragon, with a gameplay that is kinda like Other M, but with guns and more melee attacks, story will be terrible and have 10 different endings, which you must get to get the TRUE ending, so, they are pointless. Oh, and you have to start a new game to get different ending, so, you will have to complete same stage 10 times. This game will also have ONLY remixes of Ridley`s theme and nothing else as BGM. And the real ending is just King Dedede and Ridley doing either Cossack dance or Big Gay Dance, with Space Pirates and Waddle Dees randomly falling from the sky. That game will also become the best game of the year and just THE best game, unlike Shadow the Hedgehog. Why? Because RIDLEY HIMSELF will create it and sell it and he knows how to make sure it will be the best ("Give this game 10/10 perfect review and you will get 0 stabs in the head instead of 10!" and "Buy it, now, and i won't rip out your spine and then keep it as a trophy on my wall!")
...looks like i ate something wrong...

7 posts before my 1000th post.
Oh yeah I heard about that, it's shaping up to be a pretty good ps4 exclusive, I might just buy the console for it.

Top Bottom