• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Well, see you guys, that video was so well put together and thought out that I think that Ridley won't ever be in smash bros.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
A bit off-topic, but I've only been a part of this forum for 4 days.

How the HELL have you people been part of this for more than a year?

Every day I'm here I'm getting more hyped, but at the same time I'm feeling like release is further and further away.

If i never came here I wouldn't be worrying about Ridley OR Mewtwo nearly as much as I am.

I guess ignorance really is bliss.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
So, this video is your opinion on Charizard`s wing and/or the whole thing about Ridley..?
no no no, im not SRT. someone on here posted a picture about charizards wing shadow on the pyrosphere and asked if it was good evidence supporting him. i posted that picture on a ridley thread. the admin liked it and wanted to know my opinion on the topic in the link. i gave my opinion to the admin and decided to post the link he sent me over to here. does this make sense? :0

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
You know I see a comment from that Ridley rant vid from a person with a little Mac avatar saying and I quote "How many times have you seen a fighter shown off before there revealed", I check there vids and see this.

Suspicious isn't It....
and that's the guy I'm currently arguing with, expect him to visit post 2 soon, gotta give him the ol' Ridley shadow proof

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
You know I see a comment from that Ridley rant vid from a person with a little Mac avatar saying and I quote "How many times have you seen a fighter shown off before there revealed", I check there vids and see this.

Suspicious isn't It....
*watches video*

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
You know, this has got me thinking. Ridley and Samurai Goroh were in the exact same situation in Melee: Shown in the intro cutscene, simply a trophy. Imagine if Goroh and Ridley swapped places in terms of attention from Sakurai? Say, for example, this getting featured on the Dojo in Brawl:
Then Goroh simply just having a role as an assist trophy. His fan's hopes would be crushed by that, but what if in Sm4sh "an enemy from Captain Falcon's past" would "appear at any second?" What if his shadow was shown with him running around a stage?
...I'm sorry, I was just listening to that theme a little more. I wanted Samurai Goroh in Sm4sh myself being a big F-Zero fan myself, but it's good that he was disconfirmed quickly because this situation might have happened. Ridley's situation is just really bizarre. If he hadn't been teased so much, maybe discussion would be more than a meme and flame wars. But no, he "could appear at any moment," he's a "boss character" and he's "too big." He'd be "impossible," and his wingspan is "too big." Well of course that last one is a moot point now...

But still, this is ridiculous. No other character has this kind of flame war attached to it. And I hate it. At this point I want Ridley in just so this can all ****ing end, and then in the next game he'll be a veteran instead. (inb4 people ask for him to be cut for smash 5)

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario

Suspicious isn't It....
That is literally worse than Shokio's video.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Suspicious isn't It....
*watches video* EDIT: Accidentally posted this twice.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
oops I am sorry I was not looking for the Flag support thread. can you guys please point me towards the Ridley support thread.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Suspicious isn't It....
Ironically, the unchanged version of that Ridley pic looked perfectly fine.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito

Suspicious isn't It....
People who use Bowser as the "Scale" of who can be the biggest are stupid. I suspect Ridley will be the biggest playable character.

Morbi

Scavenger

Every day I'm here I'm getting more hyped, but at the same time I'm feeling like release is further and further away.

If i never came here I wouldn't be worrying about Ridley OR Mewtwo nearly as much as I am.

Honestly, I have no idea, I suppose I never grow tired speculating in favor of Ridley. I am certainly not worried about him in the slightest, the April Direct changed everything. It was funny, everyone was losing hope and jumping ship... and that was when I determined that he was playable beyond a reasonable doubt. I even bet my damned account on the dastard.

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Man I hate weekends, there aren't any POTDs.
its a time to sit down a appreciate the 5 pictures that have been brought to us from god aka sakurai. then theres toonami (AoT and Space dandy) but back to ridley

Last edited:

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdwze-Wj6_4

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think most of us expect Ridley to be the biggest character if he is playable. Slightly larger than Bowser is the best bet.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Hmm, actually I think I posted some F-Zero music earlier which was mildly random but I think that this song might actually be good for a fellow Space Pirate to listen to every now and again considering our situation.
In this world you've got to be strong
You've got to fight to keep your spirit alive
And you might feel like there is
nothing left to go for and fight for
But it's the fight that keeps us ready and on guard

Even I can feel feel the power
When I think of him
I see no fear, feel no pain

Forever he will be my hero
(Better believe he knows the way)
And not just only for tonight

And now that I'm not just a dreamer
(And I know I got what he's got)

I've got power
I'm gonna fight to win
I'm gonna fight to the end

Even I can feel the power
When I think of him
I see no fear, feel no pain

(Better believe he knows the way)

(And I know I got what he's got)

(Forever he will be my hero)
(And now that I'm not just a dreamer)

(Forever he will be my hero)
(And now that I'm not just a dreamer)

Xenorange

Smash Lord
You know, this has got me thinking. Ridley and Samurai Goroh were in the exact same situation in Melee: Shown in the intro cutscene, simply a trophy. Imagine if Goroh and Ridley swapped places in terms of attention from Sakurai? Say, for example, this getting featured on the Dojo in Brawl:
Then Goroh simply just having a role as an assist trophy. His fan's hopes would be crushed by that, but what if in Sm4sh "an enemy from Captain Falcon's past" would "appear at any second?" What if his shadow was shown with him running around a stage?
...I'm sorry, I was just listening to that theme a little more. I wanted Samurai Goroh in Sm4sh myself being a big F-Zero fan myself, but it's good that he was disconfirmed quickly because this situation might have happened. Ridley's situation is just really bizarre. If he hadn't been teased so much, maybe discussion would be more than a meme and flame wars. But no, he "could appear at any moment," he's a "boss character" and he's "too big." He'd be "impossible," and his wingspan is "too big." Well of course that last one is a moot point now...

But still, this is ridiculous. No other character has this kind of flame war attached to it. And I hate it. At this point I want Ridley in just so this can all ****ing end, and then in the next game he'll be a veteran instead. (inb4 people ask for him to be cut for smash 5)
Charizard is so cool, I'm still hyped over his reveal. Now all we need is Ridley and we're all set on dragons.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
no no no, im not SRT. someone on here posted a picture about charizards wing shadow on the pyrosphere and asked if it was good evidence supporting him. i posted that picture on a ridley thread. the admin liked it and wanted to know my opinion on the topic in the link. i gave my opinion to the admin and decided to post the link he sent me over to here. does this make sense? :0
Oh...yes, it does. Next time, remove part of the quote you are not replying to.

Im here not for 1 year, so, i suffered less, but i saw a lot of idiots and im going through that hell for 4 months. It gets really tiring and i want it to just end with Ridley playable, detractors preparing their "i was wrong" and toobigots preparing excuses and stupid "RUINED FOREVER" comments...or just stupid comments.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Honestly, I have no idea, I suppose I never grow tired speculating in favor of Ridley. I am certainly not worried about him in the slightest, the April Direct changed everything. It was funny, everyone was losing hope and jumping ship... and that was when I determined that he was playable beyond a reasonable doubt. I even bet my damned account on the dastard.
Well Metroid month is here. You must be feeling pretty giddy right now.

One things for sure. I'm glad I'm a part of this community.

RidleyForSmash!

Zynux

Smash Lord
I'm sorry.

I was going to refute, but the argument pretty much boils down to "Ridley was hinted as a boss, thus he is a boss."

As RogerBase probably knows, this thread is full of alternate theories on the whole situation (like post 2). So, nothing new; nothing that hasn't already been said. My refutations would be extremely redundant.

Better then other Ridley videos at least, but nothing that hasn't been contested before. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

At least the "proportions argument" is more logical than the "size argument."
The argument against his possible hurtbox issues with his wings and tails (assuming their really big/long respectively) is probably the only proportion argument that I find that has merit. Of course, it's not an issue that can't be rectified, but I still believe it will cause some issues for Ridley's early development.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Charizard is so cool, I'm still hyped over his reveal. Now all we need is Ridley and we're all set on dragons.
After Ridley... I want a Grima alternate costume for Robin. :troll:

I think most of us expect Ridley to be the biggest character if he is playable. Slightly larger than Bowser is the best bet.
Pretty much.

Don't worry, in a few days. I'm Konfident the war will be over.
I am not confident in that sentiment; however, I suppose the difference is negligible as we only have 2 months to go regardless.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The argument against his possible hurtbox issues with his wings and tails (assuming their really big/long respectively) is probably the only proportion argument that I find that has merit. Of course, it's not an issue that can't be rectified, but I still believe it will cause some issues for Ridley's early development.
Charizard`s (or Meta Knight`s?) wings don`t count as his hurtboxes, so, same can be done with Ridley. Ridley`s tail is known to be invincible in all games except for 1st one, so, it will be illogical to add hurtboxes to it. Its like adding them to Ike`s sword, but harder to explain.

Morbi

Scavenger
Charizard`s (or Meta Knight`s?) wings don`t count as his hurtboxes, so, same can be done with Ridley. Ridley`s tail is known to be invincible in all games except for 1st one, so, it will be illogical to add hurtboxes to it. Its like adding them to Ike`s sword, but harder to explain.
I do not necessarily find the situations comparable as one is a sword (inanimate object held by the character) whereas the other is a body part... but I suppose I see the correlation.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Actually...

Though they don't cover the whole area.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Wow I feel like a massive idiot. I've been more pro Ridley lately and I've seen the shadow/size argument, but I never noticed how it looks like his shadow has a different looking animation when you first start to see it. Kinda looks like a jump and descent up to the point where it looks like he jumps again in mid air. How did I not see this until now? I've been in a giant Ridley thread and I'm just noticing this...I'm so dumb.

And remember...Pyrosphere has platforms.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I do not necessarily find the situations comparable as one is a sword (inanimate object held by the character) whereas the other is a body part... but I suppose I see the correlation.
That is why it is harder to explain why it shouldn`t have hurtboxes.
Actually...

Though they don't cover the whole area.
Well...i guess that destroys the argument. Charizard`s wings here look very big, but have hurtboxes only in a certain part of them. It could still count as vulnerable area then, but it won`t be such a serious problem for Ridley if they did something like that to Charizard, a dragon-like pokemon with big wings..

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Wow I feel like a massive idiot. I've been more pro Ridley lately and I've seen the shadow/size argument, but I never noticed how it looks like his shadow has a different looking animation when you first start to see it. Kinda looks like a jump and descent up to the point where it looks like he jumps again in mid air. How did I not see this until now? I've been in a giant Ridley thread and I'm just noticing this...I'm so dumb.
...I just noticed this too.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Ridleys big hurtbox's will most likely be one of his disadvantages along with ground control in general. I say he dominates in the air and has alot or range on all his moves.

Honestly ridley will probably lose to characters who can get in easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom