• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If Ridley ends up as a boss hazard, Sakurai probably thinks we'd be happy with a stupid stage gimmick that's more or less a piñata, that moves slowly and hardly attacks, which isn't the correct representation for the character. At least as a playable character (and with skill), a player would be constantly attacking (something Ridley is known to do in games) and pull off loads of combos, thus a great representation. I think Ridley would be one of those characters that's tricky to get into, either he'd be combo heavy, or has a more awkward control method. The size argument is ridiculous excuse, keep that size canon for Metroid games. Super Smash Bros. is not canon, and isn't a Metroid game, so size canon doesn't apply here...

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Thing is, he is in all probability aware of Ridley's fanbase. We wanted Ridley since Melee. And Sakurai said he doesn't like fake hype, so why would he tease a fan-favourite character only to add him as a boss?
And to be a troll and do it AGAIN!

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
To go back to the whole "couldn't Ridley be both a Boss and a playable character" thing, it has been done before. Spirit-Track stage (conductor link being =/= toonlink) and a stage where Donkey Kong (or Cranky depending on the view) was a stage hazard. No reason to not do this - in fact, not specifying what Ridley is could be due to the fact that he actually IS both.

Last edited:

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
If Ridley ends up as a boss hazard, Sakurai probably thinks we'd be happy with a stupid stage gimmick that's more or less a piñata,
That right there is my No.1 Fear, After the Chorus Men’s reveal trailer.

"PIC of the DAY! That enemy from Samus’s past has finally arrived, here is Ridley the Boss of the Pyrosphere, don’t let him grab you with his feet!!"

Then he does like a feature on other un yet revealed bosses he’s so proud of.

The Detractors taunting would be the worst.
“See told ya, just like we said… TOO BIG”

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I just had a scary thought of how Ridley could work as a stage boss. What if Ridley lunges at the nearest player and starts choking/crushing them with his hand(s). Would explain the sudden lunge which seems hard to deny (though could just be really jerky animation), as well as him apparently holding pikachu. Also it's the only way I see Ridley working given what people have been able to make from the shadow teaser. Though saying that it still seems cheap if he was done this way.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I was a centimeter from disconfirming Ridley @.@ that was scary. Thank god he's still in.

Somewhat related to this thread, and interesting speculation ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmHZ4AyHRA

Turns out there's evidence there's a boss on... Palutena's temple?!!?

There probably aren't too many full fledged stage bosses in the game. Megaman + Palutena + 1 more maybe? Starfox or Kirby or Pokemon? We've had a large pokemon boss before, that wouldn't be too out of the ordinary...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Tried it once, got Takamaru. Died a little bit on the inside.
One thing that was nice about the Takamaru disconfirmation was at least Sakurai put him next to his Sister Series
which left him to rot forever on a famicom cartridge.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I was a centimeter from disconfirming Ridley @.@ that was scary. Thank god he's still in.

There probably aren't too many full fledged stage bosses in the game. Megaman + Palutena + 1 more maybe? Starfox or Kirby or Pokemon? We've had a large pokemon boss before, that wouldn't be too out of the ordinary...
It wouldn't surprise me. I was thinking it was quite likely a stage boss on Palutena's Temple might be used to direct the battle into certain areas. Mostlikely it'd be Hades or Medusa.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
It wouldn't surprise me. I was thinking it was quite likely a stage boss on Palutena's Temple might be used to direct the battle into certain areas. Mostlikely it'd be Hades or Medusa.
I still think it's dark pit. He showed up at the end of Palutena's trailer abruptly, no real explanation of his appearance.

though he could just be a Pit alt with a modified voice

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
First Try: None
Second Try: Issac
Third Try: Impa
4.1: Spin Again / 4.2: Krystal
Fifth Try: Takamaru
I'mOKwiththis

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still think it's dark pit. He showed up at the end of Palutena's trailer abruptly, no real explanation of his appearance.

though he could just be a Pit alt with a modified voice
Why Dark Pit, though? He's not even a villain. If anything he'd be an alt of Pit, that's it (with his own voice obviously).

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

YES! The only boss I see working on that stage is Dark Pit, landing at certain spots to try and snipe people.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Why Dark Pit, though? He's not even a villain. If anything he'd be an alt of Pit, that's it (with his own voice obviously).
I personally don't just see Medusa or even Hades showing up there, they're obviously the more likely choices, but how would they fight you? How would you fight them?They'd have to be heavily downsized of course, the only reason I bring up dark pit is because in Palutena's trailer, the fight is going on at Palutena's Temple, and Pitoo lands there supposedly "crashing the party" like stage bosses do. I dunno why they'd put emphasis on an alt skin.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Same for me D:

It's over guys. The wheel says so. Everyone pack up and go home, then come back for the next smash game :troll:
Wait, RIDLEY IS THE BOSS ON RIDLEY'S TEMPLE

NOO

(That's why it showed ZSS on that shot! It wasn't a mistake that the video was taken in debug mode!)
(He's also the biggest boss so he's on the BIGGEST stage!)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not too surprising there's a stage boss on Palutena's Temple, remember the Ultimate Chimera? I doubt it's going to be Dark Pit though, he's smaller than the majority of the cast so he doesn't work too well as a boss given Smash's formular, best just to make him an alt costume instead.

As for the wheel, I disconfirmed Shulk three times in a row, only to kill Chorus Men afterwards, so I just completely mutilated Gematsu. Sadly the very next spin killed K. Rool, I was only like a centimeter away from Ridley so I just imagine he took the shot.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
To go back to the whole "couldn't Ridley be both a Boss and a playable character" thing, it has been done before. Spirit-Track stage (conductor link being =/= toonlink) and a stage where Donkey Kong (or Cranky depending on the view) was a stage hazard. No reason to not do this - in fact, not specifying what Ridley is could be due to the fact that he actually IS both.
It is way too perfect to be true. And wouldn`t he look weird when compared to Samus since his classic design is simpler than Roidley`s and has not very realistic proportions? Kinda like SSBB Samus compared to Other M Samus with exactly same issues (weird proportions).

I`ve got Dixie Kong twice, Impa 3 times, Takamaru once, Ghirahim once, Paper Mario once, Duck Hunt Dock once, and Krystal once. That is in 10 spins. I wouldn`t be mad if they would be disconfirmed and in 2 cases, i would be happy. No Ridley fortunately.

Maybe it was something else? Not "Boss HP" and instead something like FPS or volume? Anyway, if it is a boss, then either Hades, Medusa or Dark Pit (yes unless it is already a palette swap/alt model) got turned into a pathetic and very annoying piñata.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Oh me oh my, this is quite the surprise we have here.
That tree thing that poops inedible apples all over the place would make a good kirby boss. Hell, it could even be a boss on a retro stage.

Is there a health counter in pyrosphere?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not too surprising there's a stage boss on Palutena's Temple, remember the Ultimate Chimera? I doubt it's going to be Dark Pit though, he's smaller than the majority of the cast so he doesn't work too well as a boss given Smash's formular, best just to make him an alt costume instead.
Dark Pit could harass players on the stage, but physically he is more or less Pit. Medusa or Hades, commanding Under World Army minions, make MUCH more sense.

I'm okay with Ridley being a boss as long as he is a boss for every stage and has a changing and thematically appropriate hat.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm okay with Ridley being a boss as long as he is a boss for every stage and has a changing and thematically appropriate hat.
So, on which stage he will get a tophat, a monocle and moustache? If that won`t happen, then i will be even more dissapointed.

Last edited:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
If Ridley is a playable character, I wonder if someone like Goyagma or Vorash will take over as the stage boss.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I disconfirmed the unexpected in the roulette. I'm like some kind of fortune teller, wuzzzah.

regarding boss in palutena temple, it would make sense dark pit... but it would certainly hurt Ridley a little considering it would be a similar teasing for a boss. meaning that Sakurai think that a boss is teaseable.

So I Hope Medusa or Hades.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Oh me oh my, this is quite the surprise we have here.
That tree thing that poops inedible apples all over the place would make a good kirby boss. Hell, it could even be a boss on a retro stage.

Is there a health counter in pyrosphere?
I actually doubt there's a health counter on any Pyrosphere pictures we've received. Being the location of the Ridley teasing, we've looked at every one, and if there was one, we'd likely have found it when and where it occurred. If there's a Pyrosphere stage boss, Sakurai probably excluded it from pictures for that. Otherwise... I think this is good news.

regarding boss in palutena temple, it would make sense dark pit... but it would certainly hurt Ridley a little considering it would be a similar teasing for a boss. meaning that Sakurai think that a boss is teaseable.
I don't know... Dark Pit was still clearly shown, which would line up much more with the way the Yellow Devil was teased. That'd be more helpful for Ridley, as another example of different teasing for bosses compared to the way he was teased.

EDIT: I feel obliged to point out that they're running from Ridley, because he's too big. :troll: jk
I died when I saw this. XD

Top Bottom