• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In other news, Brawl Ridley's eyes still weird me way the hell out. Like WOW was this design bad at depicting intelligence. xD He looks more like a cracked out psychopath than anything.
Might not have made him look overly intelligent, but it sure did give the design a ton more character than any other Ridley design. Pupils are one of the defining methods of making a character expressive, and I hope that if Ridley is playable he has pupils in order for him to match the rest of the roster in terms of personality, the Other M model simply just doesn't cut it for that, it makes him look like the mindless beast detractors pin him as.

Of course I'll love him anyways, but might aswell do it right if he's in.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Frankly, there is very little logical reason for not showing him at this point. His presence on the Pryosphere has been teased for nearly a whole year now, and so far we've only got a glimpse of his shadow. He hasn't even been named yet. And this is coming from the same people who randomly and nonchalantly confirmed the return of Green Hill Zone in a group of recent pictures, and who went out of their way to officially de-confirm Chrom after his appearance at the end of Robin's trailer (despite it being fairly clear that he was part of a Final Smash). With that in mind, I see no reason for why they have yet to properly show Ridley, despite him being hyped up for so long.
I'm amazed that people can't tell that Ridley is being handled strangely and differently from literally everyone else.

No pictures, no name, no coverage, no acknowledgement, no Pyrosphere information but lots of Pyrosphere PICTURES, all the while Sakurai goes "X is not playable" and things get haphazardly revealed in press pictures. There's only one reason they would tease Ridley, and only one reason they would completely avoid him like this.

... He's molting. :awesome:

EDIT: I disagree. Brawl Ridley gave off the vibe that if you showed a steak on a projector screen he would break down the wall trying to eat the picture. Roidley gave off more of a "vengeful mistake of science" vibe. Like Mewtwo. Or I guess because 'roids, Mewtwo X.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Something that could work is if some major gaming site advertized Ridley as a playable character, perhaps forcing a reply from Nintendo's PR department :idea:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
This question has been on my mind as of lately: Since Ridley was apparently confirmed to be a stage hazard, what's keeping Sakurai and Nintendo from showing him in action? Why haven't they shown any pictures of him on Pyrosphere, and why did they only show an awkwardly-moving shadow?

Considering that NoA is painfully aware of what the Smash fandom wants over here, why haven't they gone over to Sakurai to ask him to "reveal the damn stage hazard so the fanbase can be put out of their misery"?
I wish I could tell you in more detail. But, the truth is. We really don't know. Non of us. I recommend the Ridley supporters to watch The Super Smash Bros. Show Ep. 4 Why Sakurai trolls us by PE Nintendo. He says some pretty brilliant points. After I watched the video, I can't even be sure of the evidence in playable Ridley's favor anymore. All I do now is hope as I really been doing.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm amazed that people can't tell that Ridley is being handled strangely and differently from literally everyone else.

No pictures, no name, no coverage, no acknowledgement, no Pyrosphere information but lots of Pyrosphere PICTURES, all the while Sakurai goes "X is not playable" and things get haphazardly revealed in press pictures. There's only one reason they would tease Ridley, and only one reason they would completely avoid him like this.

Maybe he's still developing.

He has to be fully matured before he can be a proper stage hazard.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wait, what? ._.
Key word: apparently. The Smash Direct had a shadow of him on the Pyrosphere, implicating him as a stage hazard. But ever since then, we have yet to get any info on him, despite the fact that every other disconfirmed character was disconfirmed almost immediately.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Key word: apparently. The Smash Direct had a shadow of him on the Pyrosphere, implicating him as a stage hazard. But ever since then, we have yet to get any info on him, despite the fact that every other disconfirmed character was disconfirmed almost immediately.
Oh, I thought you meant someone like IGN just posts "RIDLEY'S A BOSS HAZARD. :I" *phew*

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Beware. A new challenger long post approaches.

Don't want to start any arguments here, but posting anyways...

Ahem. Before starting, everyone, please don't feel a need to respond to this first part. The thread easily digresses as it is. I just figured I'd put this out there, to be "informative." Yes, I am painfully aware that saying not to will prompt others to respond, but please ignore those urges.

Other M's critical reception is not nearly as bad as everyone believes, at least, as far as concerning "professional" reviewers. If Metacritic is to be believed, the game had a mostly positive critical reaction, with a few "mixed" reviews, while lacking any negative critical reviews. source: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/metroid-other-m
Edit: X-play notwithstanding. Well, if you consider X-play professional anyways...

I believe that Metroid didn't have much of a big fan base in Japan because Metroid came out for the NES during the end of it's life cycle. Famicon System (SNES) was coming out soon in Japan and people were looking forward to other games. The US had an extra year to develop a relationship with the Metroid franchise before the SNES got here; which probably gave rise for the western audience.
If I recall correctly, the Metroid fanbase is actually pitifully small, at least compared to the "big four" (Mario, Pokémon, The Legend of Zelda, and Super Smash Bros.) Nintendo franchises. Metroid games generally average around 1 million copies sold. Prime and maybe Prime 3 were the only games to really act as outliers to that.
If his final smash were of him using his skin hardening from other M, I could SEE why they wouldn't use black skin red eyes because the only change would be his eyes turning green instead of red in his final smash.

Though we should get a sort of "Dark Ridley" palette yeah.
That should happen. SAKURAI! Make it happen.

This question has been on my mind as of lately: Since Ridley was apparently confirmed to be a stage hazard, what's keeping Sakurai and Nintendo from showing him in action? Why haven't they shown any pictures of him on Pyrosphere, and why did they only show an awkwardly-moving shadow?

Considering that NoA is painfully aware of what the Smash fandom wants over here, why haven't they gone over to Sakurai to ask him to "reveal the damn stage hazard so the fanbase can be put out of their misery"?
They don't DARE question the MIGHT of the GREAT Sakur- *gets shot*
Serious answer: Sakurai is a troll, and Nintendo of America may actually be aware of what is truly going on.

Probably because NoA, for the most part, has as much power as a crushed bug :laugh:. They follow orders from the old wise japanese men in suits and never ask questions. They are just the localization and marketing guys. Also who's to say they didn't ask and Sakurai just shrugged off their concerns :/ .
Oddly enough, Nintendo of America is essentially responsible for the creation of roughly three games initially released only there (ExciteBots, Elite Beat Agents, and Super Mario Bros. 2/Super Mario USA).

Frankly, there is very little logical reason for not showing him at this point. His presence on the Pryosphere has been teased for nearly a whole year now, and so far we've only got a glimpse of his shadow. He hasn't even been named yet. And this is coming from the same people who randomly and nonchalantly confirmed the return of Green Hill Zone in a group of recent pictures, and who went out of their way to officially de-confirm Chrom after his appearance at the end of Robin's trailer (despite it being fairly clear that he was part of a Final Smash). With that in mind, I see no reason for why they have yet to properly show Ridley, despite him being hyped up for so long.
Answer to this and everything: 42 + Nintendo +Smash Bros. = Because Sakurai.

Well, he is a space reptile...:troll:

Something that could work is if some major gaming site advertized Ridley as a playable character, perhaps forcing a reply from Nintendo's PR department :idea:
Wouldn't work. NOA, NOE, and NOJ + some other, smaller branches would give the generic "We can't really comment on that now." response.
And I mean he looks like he is on drugs. He looks like he's not "calculating axe murderer" crazy but more like "Hallucinating schizophrenic who is coincidentally holding a knife while they flail around angrily and make loud noises through their mouth froth" crazy. Which isn't the right kind of crazy for Ridley.
"Kill as much as you want! Have fun!" - Ridley
Sure sounds like a psychopath to me.:troll:

What, you mean Sakurai didn't just FORGET in those hundreds of post-direct press photos to include Ridley in a single one despite him being so CLEARLY AND ACTIVELY deconfirmed? :troll:
Aging in reverse will do that to a man...

Oh, I thought you meant someone like IGN just posts "RIDLEY'S A BOSS HAZARD. :I" *phew*
Certainly sounds something like what IGN would do...

If Ridley IS revealed in an August Direct, when does everyone hope/pray/believe/expect that to be as well as how will Sakurai would lead into the reveal, plus how much Rids trolling do you believe he'll pull off before the (hypothetical) August Direct reveal?

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
That's an exaggeration. It's clear that Nintendo and Sakurai (especially him) loves their fanbase, and that they're especially grateful for all the years of support they've given them. You could tell just how happy Sakurai was to be there at the Invitational in front of his thousands of fans, and he's too lighthearted of a person to be actively cruel to specific fanbases.
maybe sakurai is a good person and isnt like that... im just being pessimistic because the blood in my veins is stagnant and i forgot what it feels like to be alive.

also, the internet combined with life in general has made me cynical.

Last edited:

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Wait, what? ._.
This post was made about a year ago on miiverse by Sakurai as a pic of the day:

Here's a new stage, the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…

Furthermore, during the Nintendo Direct Ridley's shadow was apparently shown during the discussion about bosses. this has not been confirmed as of yet.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
By the way, could someone here provide me with some accurate size comparisons for Ridley's shadow? I want to use them for something I'm working on.

majora_787

Smash Hero
By the way, could someone here provide me with some accurate size comparisons for Ridley's shadow? I want to use them for something I'm working on.

I remember when everyone ever thought "THIS SHADOW IS FREAKING HUGE! IT TAKES UP LIKE HALF OF THE STAGE!"

And then it became exceedingly apparent that it doesn't.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The argument is that Sakurai wants to keep the Ridley hype up since he's such an enormous subject in the Smash community, but at the same time he doesn't want to dissapoint fans too hard once the final roster is revealed, so he teased him as a stage hazard while not outright deconfirming him to prepare people for the blow. While that is plausible it'd be very uncharacteristic of Sakurai who otherwise just kills characters on the spot, and it wouldn't have done too much harm deconfirming him in April with the game releasing only half a year later, the teasing has gotten a bit out of hand for it to simply result in Stage Hazardley imo.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
At least Other M will prevent Nintendo from making such decisions with Metroid games. I hope at least good parts of that game will return. That game is still nothing compared to failure of Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Genesis and Sonic '06.
Shadow the Hedgehog is the second coming of Christ compared to Other M. At least that game had cheesy dialogue (Find the Computer Room!)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hopefully that's baby Roidley and not baby Ridley, or there'd be some weird time problems going on. :troll:

Time shenanigans aside, teasing a character who will not be playable after outright deconfirming everyone else and only teasing playable characters, ESPECIALLY one as requested as Ridley, and then having the teasing end in a downgraded version of his normal role is not "preparing people for the blow" or "letting people down easy" or "trying to not disappoint people". It's "preparing people for a punch to the face and kicking them in the crotch", "picking people up and dropping them", and "explicitly trying to disappoint people more than they would have been already".

Main reason why I'm convinced he's playable. I just want his reveal to happen so the dumb standard Ridley crap can be over and the obnoxious anti-Ridley shenanigans can stop happening.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Question about the comic con stuff, any thing shown or revealed that is interesting? Other than the possible Falco stuff and the fake Ridley disconfirmation by those fools on facebook?
in terms of interesting, Bowser was a popular choice in the tournament. the grand finals was Bowser vs Bowser with Bowser winning the tournament

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
in terms of interesting, Bowser was a popular choice in the tournament. the grand finals was Bowser vs Bowser with Bowser winning the tournament
It's nice to see heavy weights be a bit more viable, except Dedede they have always been bottom-scrappers, and Dedede was only ever good in Brawl because of his godly chain-grab. I doubt Bowser will be amongst the top tiers once the game is out, he was mostly just a safe pick when playing against people with no matchup knowledge in this case, but I doubt he'll fall below mid-tier. Heavy weight characters being properly balanced in 1v1s should bode well for Ridley.

D

Deleted member

FINALLY! I could draw something at least for practiceView attachment 19482 ...
A 4 Way Ship?????????

:love:

It's....it's....GENIUS!!

Rayman X Ezio X Ridley X Little Birdie?

SHIP IT. SHIP IT NOW. SHIP IT EVERYWHERE.

IT'S SO GOOD.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
My Idea was kind of like this only it went more like
Lucas walks into a Dark Room with flashing Red Lights
Suddenly the Lava breaks out of that one wall, and the screen shakes
Lucas slowly looks behind him
A shot of Roidley's foot, then it slowly pans up to his face, his eyes glowing
Then Roidley Roars and the lights turn on, *Ridley's Reveal thing* Lucas falls back over
Then just as Roidley's about to strike there's a "Swish" noise and now there's a blue sphere blocking Roidley's attack
The 2 look at it with Wonder, it slowly fades to reveal....
Mewtwo!
Mewtwo looks back at Lucas and nods, Lucas then Nods back with a smile
Then Ridley and Mewtwo burst upwards
*Montage of Roidley, Mewtwo and Lucas's moves*

Ness get's revealed in Isaac and or Shulk's trailer
Also Bonus if Mewtwo is Voiced by Miriam Pultro again

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
A 4 Way Ship?????????

It's....it's....GENIUS!!

IT'S SO GOOD.

Well, if you excuse me, I'll be out of the way of an ax-crazy Andrea, so...

*hides inside bunker*

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Well, if you excuse me, I'll be out of the way of an ax-crazy Andrea, so...

*hides inside bunker*
Yeah an Andrea has an Assassin Rayman, That is deadly cause he doesn't even need to be close to you to get assassining..

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
maybe its because i have not been a part of this topic for all that long... but why is andrea "feared" so much on here?

D

Deleted member

maybe its because i have not been a part of this topic for all that long... but why is andrea "feared" so much on here?
She goes nuts when I ship Ridley X Rayman or almost any other Ridley ship for that matter.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
A 4 Way Ship?????????

It's....it's....GENIUS!!

IT'S SO GOOD.

THEN DIE!...

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE! WHY YOU LOVE TO PISS ME OFF WITH THOSE SHIPS!? D:<

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I dunno. Maybe because she can draw you so you could be shipped with something...i really don`t know...just don`t make her angry...you won't like her when she is angry. Unfortunately, it won`t result in death and suffering...or at least something violent and funny at the same time...
Shadow the Hedgehog is the second coming of Christ compared to Other M. At least that game had cheesy dialogue (Find the Computer Room!)
Pathetic attempt at making dark and edgy story that doesn`t makes sense at all (Shadow android? Really?), boring gameplay with slippery controls similar to Sonic Heroes', uninteresting and boring levels with the same goal every time with few differences sometimes, bullsh*t way of unlocking final chapter (playing EXACTLY same level 10 f***ing times...really?) that makes getting different endings pointless because they are not endings in any way, the game itself is something beyond what Sonic is supposed to be (Guns? Vehicles?!). Its more like apocalypse compared to Other M. At least Other M doesn`t has controls that make you wonder whenever or not the main character walks on ice or on something else. And a lot better graphics. And gameplay. And sountrack. Last part is something that i wouldn`t say in most cases.

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And this is why we stick with the designated RidleyXSamus ship :troll::troll::troll: [I'm kidding please don't hurt me]
THAT is a pretty bullsh*t ship. Ridley would just rip off her head and then tear the corpse apart for all she did instead of something like that if he will ever get a chance. Im sick of that. Really.

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
THAT is a pretty bullsh*t ship. Ridley would just rip off her head and then tear the corpse apart for all she did instead of something like that if he will ever get a chance. Im sick of that. Really.
No I know it's bull****, lol. That's why I said I was kidding.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
What the heck happened to this thread?? Shipping? And fanarts of it? Can't you people make an other thread for this kind ...nonsense?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ships I've Denied:
Ridley/Roidley X Samus
Olimar X Samus
Ridley X Roidley

Formerly:
Rayman X Ridley (Until I "slipped" :troll:)

Don't worry, Ridley X Samus will never be made official. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
Random question: Who's actually watching the ComicCon stream right now? I am, if only for the fact that this one is actually pretty entertaining, and the Smash stuff is interesting enough. plus I'm secretly hoping for the MK/Bandanna Dee reveal, still

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
She goes nuts when I ship Ridley X Rayman or almost any other Ridley ship for that matter.
With Good Reason! Ridley DOES NOT LOVE!

Random question: Who's actually watching the ComicCon stream right now? I am, if only for the fact that this one is actually pretty entertaining, and the Smash stuff is interesting enough. plus I'm secretly hoping for the MK/Bandanna Dee reveal, still.
I Doubt there will be a reveal. Sakurai would've said something if that were the case

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
What the heck happened to this thread??
long ago, the Smash nation lived together at piece...then everything changed when the toobigiots attacked. only the ridleytar, master of all ridley elements could stop them. but when the supporters needed him the most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered a new Ridleytar, a Ridley bender named Ridley. And although his size arguments are impressive, Ridley has alot to learn before he can counter any foes. But i believe, Ridley can be in smash.

Last edited:

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
long ago, the Smash nation lived together at piece...then everything changed when the toobigiots attacked. only the ridleytar, master of all ridley elements could stop them. but when the supporters needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years passed and my brother and I discovered a new Ridleytar, a Ridley bender named Ridley. And although his size arguments are impressive, Ridley has alot to learn before he can counter any foes. But i believe, Ridley can be in smash.
YOU ARE AMAZING

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, does anyone have any more good shadow size comparisons? @ majora_787 majora_787 already provided me with one, but I'd like to have a few more good ones for something I'm putting together (it's taking forever...).

Top Bottom