• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
  1. Metroids can`t drain life energy like that, only directly and with their mouth.
  2. Their victims doesn`t turns into a stone, they turn into a dried out husk that turns into dust if touched by anything.
Oh you're right. You'll have to excuse me, it was 4am when I wrote that message.
As for the second part, that's kind of what I meant, I just worded it wrong.

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
My imagination for Ridley's Reveal:

Ness and Lucas walk into a Dark Room with flashing Red Lights
Lucas is shaking scaredly
Suddenly the Lights turn on, and Ridley is seen hanging on a Wall
Samus Sprints in and Gets infront of Lucas and Ness
A Battle Commences, which no devised winner until the End.
Ridley Gameplay is Shown, first on Pyroshrere, then to other places.
In the End Ridley K.O.s Lucas, Them Ness, then Samus. He Proceeds to taunt
Wario Rides in on his Motercycle, and Shows Ridley hows its done, With a New Moveset!

Note Gameplay footage Shows off Meta Ridley Costume, and Wario Overalls and Biker outfit.

And it ends with a Wario Warf (AKA Wario's Down Special)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Guys...I have a confession.

Back in January, I...

I...

was a Miiverse Ridley hater who used size as an argument.

I AM ASHAMED!

But then, I saw him.

Ridlesus.

[no but seriously I was a hater]

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys...I have a confession.

Back in January, I...

I...

was a Miiverse Ridley hater who used size as an argument.

I AM ASHAMED!

But then, I saw him.

Ridlesus.

[no but seriously I was a hater]
What made you change?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
My imagination for Ridley's Reveal:

Ness and Lucas walk into a Dark Room with flashing Red Lights
Lucas is shaking scaredly
Suddenly the Lights turn on, and Ridley is seen hanging on a Wall
Samus Sprints in and Gets infront of Lucas and Ness
A Battle Commences, which no devised winner until the End.
Ridley Gameplay is Shown, first on Pyroshrere, then to other places.
In the End Ridley K.O.s Lucas, Them Ness, then Samus. He Proceeds to taunt
Wario Rides in on his Motercycle, and Shows Ridley hows its done, With a New Moveset!

Note Gameplay footage Shows off Meta Ridley Costume, and Wario Overalls and Biker outfit.

And it ends with a Wario Warf (AKA Wario's Down Special)
My Idea was kind of like this only it went more like
Lucas walks into a Dark Room with flashing Red Lights
Suddenly the Lava breaks out of that one wall, and the screen shakes
Lucas slowly looks behind him
A shot of Roidley's foot, then it slowly pans up to his face, his eyes glowing
Then Roidley Roars and the lights turn on, *Ridley's Reveal thing* Lucas falls back over
Then just as Roidley's about to strike there's a "Swish" noise and now there's a blue sphere blocking Roidley's attack
The 2 look at it with Wonder, it slowly fades to reveal....
Mewtwo!
Mewtwo looks back at Lucas and nods, Lucas then Nods back with a smile
Then Ridley and Mewtwo burst upwards
*Montage of Roidley, Mewtwo and Lucas's moves*

Ness get's revealed in Isaac and or Shulk's trailer

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
My Idea was kind of like this only it went more like
Lucas walks into a Dark Room with flashing Red Lights
Suddenly the Lava breaks out of that one wall, and the screen shakes
Lucas slowly looks behind him
A shot of Roidley's foot, then it slowly pans up to his face, his eyes glowing
Then Roidley Roars and the lights turn on, *Ridley's Reveal thing* Lucas falls back over
Then just as Roidley's about to strike there's a "Swish" noise and now there's a blue sphere blocking Roidley's attack
The 2 look at it with Wonder, it slowly fades to reveal....
Mewtwo!
Mewtwo looks back at Lucas and nods, Lucas then Nods back with a smile
Then Ridley and Mewtwo burst upwards
*Montage of Roidley, Mewtwo and Lucas's moves*
I would be totally ok with my most wanted newcomers (newcomer in quotes for Mewtwo) to be revealed with one of my most wanted veterans.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
It is the reality of Metroid in JP....And of course, one thing that proves the ZSuit works to catch their attention is Other M....constantly showing their "eye candy".....that is why I think it was the first Metroid game that sell kind of well in JP....

As for Ridley, they don't care, or just think that freaking Birdie is so "Kawaii"......

>___<
Actually, the sales of the first three Metroid games were more evenly split between regions, Other M sold pretty badly there considering how overly japanese that game is. It sold on par with Prime there.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Who am I supposed to be shipping right now...?
I think it was ZSSXR...or was it Cereal Box from Metroid Fusion (yeah, you can find kitchen in that game by drinking a lot of vodka or any other drink like that and eating a lot of mushrooms and then just going behind the wall of Ridley-X`s room...i didn`t tried to do that of course, but if you want to know am i lying or not - try to do that by yourself) X Ridley...you deny them both, right?

So, Metroid Other M failed everywere, especially in Japan, only because of the linearity and story?

R0Y

Smash Master
Actually, the sales of the first three Metroid games were more evenly split between regions, Other M sold pretty badly there considering how overly japanese that game is. It sold on par with Prime there.
Except Japan. Metroid has always been more popular in the west, at least until Other M.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Only the story and linearity? The game is regarded as being mediocre or trash in every single aspect. Soundtrack, visuals, controls, gameplay, length, handholding, pixel hunts, and more. The story is just the most panned part.

Except Japan. Metroid has always been more popular in the west, at least until Other M.
I recall the first ones selling pretty well, its after Super that the series went full downhill.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Well, there is peoples who think that Metroids are "kawaii" and Kirby is "kawaii" even though he goes on genocidal rampage when his cake is stolen by someone...so...at least we don`t see that freak of nature for more than 5 minutes in the game.

Only ~2 months left...will ALL of those 3 get in or only 1 of them...or even none will get a chance...who knows? Only time and Sakurai will tell us...

I support only Ridley, but Mewtwo is at least fun to play as in Project M. If K.Rool would have a tail and if he wouldn`t be fat, i would support him too...and if he would not throw out biology and common sense out of the window by havng something reptiles lack...
Where did you get these models and can I get for Source Film Maker.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
did i miss anything?

i think i saw someone mention that the tournament was finished... if thats true, what was that little "special thing" they were supposedly gonna do with sakurai that they mentioned yesterday?

there is still today and tomorrow for comic-con... does nintendo really have nothing left for the second half of the event?

if they have no other "surprises" for us in the form of a purple space dragon... then... balls.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
did i miss anything?

i think i saw someone mention that the tournament was finished... if thats true, what was that little "special thing" they were supposedly gonna do with sakurai that they mentioned yesterday?

there is still today and tomorrow for comic-con... does nintendo really have nothing left for the second half of the event?

if they have no other "surprises" for us in the form of a purple space dragon... then... balls.
You assumed the surprises were something important. The weren't. The surprises were Bill and Krysta playing The Lost Levels, and Bill and JC battling eachother. The special thingy is going to be something like that, Im sure of it.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Only the story and linearity? The game is regarded as being mediocre or trash in every single aspect. Soundtrack, visuals, controls, gameplay, length, handholding, pixel hunts, and more. The story is just the most panned part.

I recall the first ones selling pretty well, its after Super that the series went full downhill.
You have to remember that Japan made up significantly more than 50 percent of the video game console market at the time.

In fact, it made up 50 percent as late as 2002.

In Japan Kid Icarus even outsold the original Metroid, which came out the same year. Super Metroid sold about half its sales in Japan apparently, which is quite good, but the original game was sold more in the west.

So Super Metroid sold a bit more, but you can't say that about the original game. It was certainly no opposite of the Mario situation where it sells more in the west due to sheer install base, and it was far from a Dragon Quest situation either.

So the distribution of sales of the original game and the Prime series have led to people saying this.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
You have to remember that Japan made up significantly more than 50 percent of the video game console market at the time.

In fact, it made up 50 percent as late as 2002.

In Japan Kid Icarus even outsold the original Metroid, which came out the same year. Super Metroid sold about half its sales in Japan apparently, which is decent, but the original game was notably more popular in the west.

So Super Metroid sold a bit more, but you can't say that about the original game.
Still, the sales numbers were more "evenly split" as I said (say, not 600k vs 50k or something like that). Current games sell much less than the first one, there was a clear decline in popularity. Even appealing to them as much as they did with OM didn't work.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Still, the sales numbers were more "evenly split" as I said. Current games sell much less than the first one, there was a clear decline in popularity. Even appealing to them as much as the did with OM didn't work.
True, especially after the first game.

R0Y

Smash Master
Well we are one more potd week before august so it won't be much longer for a direct date.
Next Direct could be in September instead. If Hyrule Warriors gets one for it's Japanese release then sure, August, but it might not.

Otherwise Smash Direct might be in early September.

Technically, Nintendo could avoid a Direct altogether or do a Japan-only one until late September or the very beginning of October though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Next Direct could be in September instead. If Hyrule Warriors gets one for it's Japanese release then sure, August, but it might not.

Otherwise Smash Direct might be in early September.

Technically, Nintendo could avoid a Direct altogether or do a Japan-only one until late September or the very beginning of October though.
Not necessarily a Smash Direct, just a Nintendo Direct in general. A Smash Direct is most likely for September.

That said, I highly doubt a Hyrule Warriors Direct will happen, because its being made by Techmo Koei and all announced for the game in Japan are being done by Techmo Koei. Hyrule Warriors getting another trailer in a Nintendo Direct, though, is highly likely.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
You assumed the surprises were something important. The weren't. The surprises were Bill and Krysta playing The Lost Levels, and Bill and JC battling eachother. The special thingy is going to be something like that, Im sure of it.
i wasnt the only one... and i dont even know who those people are, so what is so "special" about them?

i assume they're more well-known to the competitive community... like every single person at the invitational was.

if it werent for the whole little mac thing... i probably wouldnt believe for a second that sakurai might actually make ridley playable, since the western audience is usually ignored.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Other M is also more popular in the west, I'm not sure where people get the idea it was a hit in Japan. It was made with a Japanese audience in mind, but it failed even for them.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Where did you get these models and can I get for Source Film Maker.
They are from SSBB...except for Mewtwo, who i got from Project M files. K.Rool is not T-Posed and all of them are .mdl0 models. Ridley has modified eyes and his trophy`s textures.
Really? Well, soundtrack wasn`t good and had only few themes that are good, like Ridley`s theme, pixel hunt is kinda hard in few cases and pointless, controls are...um...unusual, but visuals? Handholding (what is that by the way?) Gameplay? Gameplay-wise, it is better than Prime IMO with few exceptions (1st-person mode for example). You don`t just shoot to fight and sometimes use grapple beam to rip off something. And Screw Attack in this game is better than in Prime games...and maybe Space Jump...than just something like extra jumps with a very low posibility of hitting something, but high posibility of making Omega Ridley battle very boring and easy.
About visuals - does that looks like trash:

Now compare it to real trash on a Nintendo Wii:

Yeah, there was one part of the entire Other M that was really cheap and used just flat textures instead of a normal model for something on the ceilling...but everything else is fine. Ridley`s model here, for example, is a lot more detailed than Brawl version. And has better eyes...and better wing bones because Brawl Ridley`s left wing sometimes rotates at 1590 degree when you try to rotate it a little bit manually and reverses some values when touched while Roidley has nothing like that. The game itself is not a masterpiece like Super Metroid, but it is not trash like Big Rigs, Mario is Missing, E.T., that NES Transformers game about Ultra Magnus that dies in 1 hit even if it is a very small enemy with 3 bosses that are decepticon logos that shoot same projectile as everything else, CD-I LoZ games and Hotel Mario, Superman 64, etc. Its at least 7.0 IMO.

Anyway, i found that:

It may have been posted here already...i don`t remember...looks painful...poor Phantoon...

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
When it comes to Other M, the Roidley segment was kind of the turning point, from the game being entirely tedious and kinda bleh, to actually pretty decent. I'm actually not one of the people who completely hates on that game, it's not really a good Metroid game. But as a game in general it's at least halfway decent in my opinion. (if you ignore the story)

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
so i just rewatched the smash stream just to see if i was right.
http://youtu.be/Idw0P5x5b14?t=2h56m15s the guy on the left says that he wants to customize fox's blaster so it can stun people. the guy on the right was about to talk about something but wasnt sure if we was authorized to, and he dosnt go any further into that. the people in the chat were thinking he was talking about Falco because of the stun blaster tid bit.

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
http://youtu.be/Idw0P5x5b14?t=2h56m15s the guy on the left says that he wants to customize fox's blaster so it can stun people. the guy on the right was about to talk about something but wasnt sure if we was authorized to, and he dosnt go any further into that. the people in the chat were thinking he was talking about Falco because of the stun blaster tid bit.
That would be the most likely thing, seeing as going from talking about Fox to Falco makes a lot of sense.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Adam Malkovich confirmed for Smash.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
They are from SSBB...except for Mewtwo, who i got from Project M files. K.Rool is not T-Posed and all of them are .mdl0 models. Ridley has modified eyes and his trophy`s textures.

Really? Well, soundtrack wasn`t good and had only few themes that are good, like Ridley`s theme, pixel hunt is kinda hard in few cases and pointless, controls are...um...unusual, but visuals? Handholding (what is that by the way?) Gameplay? Gameplay-wise, it is better than Prime IMO with few exceptions (1st-person mode for example). You don`t just shoot to fight and sometimes use grapple beam to rip off something. And Screw Attack in this game is better than in Prime games...and maybe Space Jump...than just something like extra jumps with a very low posibility of hitting something, but high posibility of making Omega Ridley battle very boring and easy.
About visuals - does that looks like trash:

Now compare it to real trash on a Nintendo Wii:

Yeah, there was one part of the entire Other M that was really cheap and used just flat textures instead of a normal model for something on the ceilling...but everything else is fine. Ridley`s model here, for example, is a lot more detailed than Brawl version. And has better eyes...and better wing bones because Brawl Ridley`s left wing sometimes rotates at 1590 degree when you try to rotate it a little bit manually and reverses some values when touched while Roidley has nothing like that.

Anyway, i found that:

It may have been posted here already...i don`t remember...looks painful...poor Phantoon...
Mediocre OR trash. Compared to other visual showcases on Wii, Other M is very average, specially the art direction, most of the game is comprised of generic environments and corridors. The gameplay is completely automated, you dont aim or direct yourself, the camera does everything for you. The dodge needs very little presition, you just mash the dpad and avoid every attack, the overblast is a shallow mechanic that overstays its welcome after the first couple of uses. The game is so easy that the upgrades are unnecessary. The game reeks of nostalgia, recicling old enemies and just making fire/ice versions of them sometimes.

You may have liked the game and its features, but for the majority of the gamers, those were negatives, not positives.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
this also means that they did not talk about a "dragon on pyroshpere" that people on facebook said they heard

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Adam Malkovich confirmed for Smash.
Silence! You were not authorized to say that. So, we will let you slowly fry even through you have something that can help you avoid that completly unless you will randomly decide to walk into the lava.
Hm...maybe he knew that Samus will randomly walk into the lava to find more energy tanks and missile packs?
Mediocre OR trash. Compared to other visual showcases on Wii, Other M is very average, specially the art direction, most of the game is comprised of generic environments and corridors. The gameplay is completely automated, you dont aim or direct yourself, the camera does everything for you. The dodge needs very little presition, you just mash the dpad and avoid every attack, the overblast is a shallow mechanic that overstays its welcome after the first couple of uses. The game is so easy that the upgrades are unnecessary. The game reeks of nostalgia, recicling old enemies and just making fire/ice versions of them sometimes.

You may have liked the game and its features, but for the majority of the gamers, those were negatives, not positives.
Above "Mediocre", but below "Good", but nowhere near "trash". Making game hard is not a very good thing anyway and you can unlock hard mode (that sadly removes Phantoon) and it makes game harder. You can avoid using Sense Move if you want a hard game. But yeah, its kinda not good enough for a Metroid game, but it is good when you don`t look at it as an Metroid game.
I think it would be better than Metroid 2 if it would lack that story.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Other M's graphics aren't bad, but the design style of the game and the zones are generally very dull or flat out ugly. After replaying it a bit I think my new most hated thing about it is the controls, they're so untight and playing with a D-Pad in a 3D space is the most stupid control choice Nintendo has made in forever, even worse than motion controls in Prime 3. It's just a big mess, even without the cutscenes and the story it's a far below average game by Metroid standards due to its repetitive gameplay style.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there was one part of the entire Other M that was really cheap and used just flat textures instead of a normal model for something on the ceilling...but everything else is fine. Ridley`s model here, for example, is a lot more detailed than Brawl version. And has better eyes...and better wing bones because Brawl Ridley`s left wing sometimes rotates at 1590 degree when you try to rotate it a little bit manually and reverses some values when touched while Roidley has nothing like that. The game itself is not a masterpiece like Super Metroid, but it is not trash like Big Rigs, Mario is Missing, E.T., that NES Transformers game about Ultra Magnus that dies in 1 hit even if it is a very small enemy with 3 bosses that are decepticon logos that shoot same projectile as everything else, CD-I LoZ games and Hotel Mario, Superman 64, etc. Its at least 7.0 IMO.
I really don't understand why Brawl Ridley get so much love. It look like a dragon that smoke. Why would someone want to play as a version of Ridley where you can see every bone in its body? I wouldn't even want to play as Ridley then. Other M Ridley hybrid for me or bust.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I really don't understand why Brawl Ridley get so much love. It look like a dragon that smoke. Why would someone want to play as a version of Ridley where you can see every bone in its body? I wouldn't even want to play as Ridley then. Other M Ridley hybrid for me or bust.
probably thats where smash fans know ridley the best if they arnt familiar to the metroid series

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You can see every bone on Roidley too. Every rib. You can`t see his leg bones unfortunately...at least not all of them. Being anorexic dragon is Ridley`s trait. Brawl model is still not perfect - it has weird eyes and massive upper jaw.

Other M has pretty high review scores for something that is so hated - it is above 50%. And there is something that you may count as nonsense, but it (according to the wiki) happened:
"Other M was the third best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release with 45,398 copies sold, ranking it behind Wii Party and Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village.[89] It sold an additional 11,239 copies the following week.[90] It was also the ninth best-selling game in North America during September 2010,[91] selling 173,000 units."
Still, as a Metroid game, it is kinda disappointing. At least Ridley boss battle is epic. Would be better if there would be no Sense Move. But then it would be harder than that level before Astaroth battle in original Ghost 'N Goblins.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridleypuff
Ridley and PikaLucaChariPuff...that would taste like chiken for Ridley.

At least Other M will prevent Nintendo from making such decisions with Metroid games. I hope at least good parts of that game will return. That game is still nothing compared to failure of Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Genesis and Sonic '06.

Top Bottom