• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Well guys I guess I have a question, I am trying to start animating (not that good at it yet), and I was think of doing a smash parody involving Ridley. I was hoping for some thoughts or ideas that you guys could give to me.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well guys I guess I have a question, I am trying to start animating (not that good at it yet), and I was think of doing a smash parody involving Ridley. I was hoping for some thoughts or ideas that you guys could give to me.
You should have Ridley bumping his head on a door as a running gag.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley attempting to fit into the door/entrance/whatever, but failing, then just breaking it or randomly appearing in the building, smaller and calm...if there is a building in the animation. And MoustacheCaptainFalcon SchAlternate`s idea too.
Oh, and maybe him getting pwned by Samus for something rather mundane. Or pwning her for same reasons.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
do a "reveal trailer" for ridley...

it could start off inside a building with various characters just mingling with a banner hanging overhead welcoming them to the fourth smash tournament.

a door could be visible in the background and a knocking sound could come from it... the characters just look at each other, wondering why the person doesnt just come inside, since the door is unlocked... eventually, samus could be the one to step up and approach the door to open it... getting frustrated by the slow response time, ridley violently smashes down the walls and bursts in, blowing samus away and roaring... freeze frame with the tagline "ridley smashes his way in!".

it would be perfect.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Every time someone uses the word "big" around Ridley, fast heavy metal music plays and Ridley becomes insane for 7-8 seconds.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
do a "reveal trailer" for ridley...

it could start off inside a building with various characters just mingling with a banner hanging overhead welcoming them to the fourth smash tournament.

a door could be visible in the background and a knocking sound could come from it... the characters just look at each other, wondering why the person doesnt just come inside, since the door is unlocked... eventually, samus could be the one to step up and approach the door to open it... getting frustrated by the slow response time, ridley violently smashes down the walls and bursts in, blowing samus away and roaring... freeze frame with the tagline "ridley smashes his way in!".

it would be perfect.

That would be great, I will start thinking of something like that for the animation.
And thanks other guys for the ideas @ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros and @ SchAlternate SchAlternate . I am going to try really hard on this when I have the time, but truth is I am a bit self-conscious about anything I do and I feel like it is never good enough. But I will pull through for our Big ol (but not to big) Purple Space Dragon Pirate Parent Killer Dragon (whose sometimes a cyborg). Man we need an easier name for him.

Last edited:

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
If you want to get some perfect practice for animation while still wanting to draw Ridley, draw him beating the crap out of a personified bag of dirt.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That would be great, I will start thinking of something like that for the animation.
And thanks other guys for the ideas @BeganSmashBros and @ SchAlternate SchAlternate . I am going to try really hard on this when I have the time, but truth is I am a bit self-conscious about anything I do and I feel like it is never good enough. But I will pull through for our Big ol (but not to big) Purple Space Dragon Pirate Parent Killer Dragon (whose sometimes a cyborg). Man we need an easier name for him.
Just call him Jerry. Or Ridley. Or Big (but not too big) R. And i am BaganSmashBros. Its an "a", not "e", like in barbeque or banana, but absolutely not tasty, very old and too big.
Good luck with that animation.
I know that is not your fault, but that part of my username is often misspeled like that...

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
If you want to get some perfect practice for animation while still wanting to draw Ridley, draw him beating the crap out of a personified bag of dirt.
So you mean Shokio or something, I don't know Ridley might not want to waste his time.

Anyway a bit more on topic, I was reading the previous post and they started to mention Ridley's final smash. This started me thinking what if his final smash was him flying around being able to pick people up, shoot fireballs, and attack all without really leaving the air. That made me think of the Smash Direct and I was like nah that can't work there was no glow or darkening of the map. But also on this thread was something about Little Mac and his Final Smash in action (man this thread gets off topic quick), anyway after the initial activation of the smash everything turned back to normal.

I guess what I am saying what if the Smash Direct was actually showing his final smash, which would allow him to fly around with ease and not have to worry about the ground. It would explain the movements and the time duration, and help solidify him more-so as a playable character.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So you mean Shokio or something, I don't know Ridley might not want to waste his time.

Anyway a bit more on topic, I was reading the previous post and they started to mention Ridley's final smash. This started me thinking what if his final smash was him flying around being able to pick people up, shoot fireballs, and attack all without really leaving the air. That made me think of the Smash Direct and I was like nah that can't work there was no glow or darkening of the map. But also on this thread was something about Little Mac and his Final Smash in action (man this thread gets off topic quick), anyway after the initial activation of the smash everything turned back to normal.

I guess what I am saying what if the Smash Direct was actually showing his final smash, which would allow him to fly around with ease and not have to worry about the ground. It would explain the movements and the time duration, and help solidify him more-so as a playable character.
He would still glow and stage would be...um...darker even while using Final Smash. This glow disappears only if that is an transformation Final Smash, like Giga Bowser or Wario Man, when Smash Ball is beaten out of the character or when Final Smash is over.
And being able to fly without any limits and invincibility is a lame Final Smash. It doesn`t feels satisfying like Aura Storm, Great Aether or Mega Man`s final smash does.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ silver_blade001 silver_blade001 Thanks for the creative perspective! We don't even know if the animations used for Ridley in the Direct will be used in the game. It could have all been made specifically for the Direct. They could have easily removed the darkened lighting of the Final Smash, just for the Direct.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
He would still glow and stage would be...um...darker even while using Final Smash. This glow disappears only if that is an transformation Final Smash, like Giga Bowser or Wario Man, when Smash Ball is beaten out of the character or when Final Smash is over.
And being able to fly without any limits and invincibility is a lame Final Smash. It doesn`t feels satisfying like Aura Storm, Great Aether or Mega Man`s final smash does.

Well I was just putting out another possibility that might explain only the shadow on the direct, not saying that is what it was.

Also side note I fixed your name, I'm kinda OCD about that stuff.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Exate

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone confirmed if Smash Bros. appears under the Wario games in the eShop, doesn't appear for me (live in the UK), so thought it might just be a American thing

I know I'm one of the people against believing in leaks, but this one can pretty much by outright confirmed or deconfirmed
It's not fake; I also witnessed it earlier. However, Nintendo seems to have removed it from the Wario category already.

-----

In regards to Ridley, has anybody thought of his potential final smash being a surge of X-Parasites causing a metamorphosis to Ridley-X for a small amount of time? Doesn't make the most sense to be temporary, but it looks neat in my head.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
It's not fake; I also witnessed it earlier. However, Nintendo seems to have removed it from the Wario category already.
Ok thanks, so we may get the villains trailer, but who's in if it happens is another question.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
*after reading the PotD post* If the team had sooooo much trouble trying to put images on a menu, then maybe they really are kinda incompetent and need two years to work on a hazard...
*assumes UI designers also work on gameplay*
:crazy:

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Something involving him using man-made weapons at first (a gun, a sword, etc.) which he misses his opponents horribly with, and then goes "Oh, screw it" as he suddenly remembers he doesn't need such things and then kills said enemies the next second via his usual kind of attacks. "These things you call items may be nifty for humans and other weakly creatures but they're not made for me!"

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
Fine, ill stop lurking..
Yes, I want Ridley in.. I have since Melee, I have loved and played every Metroid game (except Other M, urgg) I hope he gets his much deserved spot.
I hear the current Theory Is for playable bosses. Wow, yellow devil would be really fun to play if this is true.. Tap here to beam here.. Tap there to beam there. TAP here to Shoot! Oh the fun.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Ridley isn't my first choice for a secondary Metroid rep (it was turned into an assist trophy) but if Ridley is revealed to actually be a stage hazard... then I will join the sad cries of thousands of Metroid fans worldwide.

Until... Chozo Warrior joins the battle. (lol)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well remember the fear of yesterday foe the pyrosphere hazard being ridley today

Panic is over thats not the potd its the unmasking of what the menu looks like (in a way for both versions.)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Well remember the fear of yesterday foe the pyrosphere hazard being ridley today

Panic is over thats not the potd its the unmasking of what the menu looks like (in a way for both versions.)
Now the panic is Monday will be hazard ridley

and then tuesday

and then every day until sept13

And all with the underlying panic that when we finally see the whole roster he'll be missing

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be pessimistic this is just my life

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
Now the panic is Monday will be hazard ridley

and then tuesday

and then every day until sept13

And all with the underlying panic that when we finally see the whole roster he'll be missing

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be pessimistic this is just my life
Know the feel. I think the situation I'm most worried about is the day the roster is posted online. Let's just say Sakurai never gives us any more info on Ridley. The moment I find that link that leads to the final roster will be nerve-wrecking. I'll either be ecstatically happy, or morbidly upset (for a day :p ).

Maybe near September I'll stop visiting Smash sites until I hear the good word from people in this thread :awesome:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Know the feel. I think the situation I'm most worried about is the day the roster is posted online. Let's just say Sakurai never gives us any more info on Ridley. The moment I find that link that leads to the final roster will be nerve-wrecking. I'll either be ecstatically happy, or morbidly upset (for a day :p ).

Maybe near September I'll stop visiting Smash sites until I hear the good word from people in this thread :awesome:
I'm honestly super tempted to import a Japanese 3DS, and then when the game comes out, go radio silent until I've unlocked all the characters myself. It'll be hard not being able to read anything, but dear lord the hype will be worth it if Ridley is ignored until the release and then I unlock him myself.

The hardest part will be self control xD

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm honestly super tempted to import a Japanese 3DS, and then when the game comes out, go radio silent until I've unlocked all the characters myself. It'll be hard not being able to read anything, but dear lord the hype will be worth it if Ridley is ignored until the release and then I unlock him myself.

You know you wouldn't be able to do that... i'm pretty sure you will watch the full roster as soon as it goes online

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
I'm honestly super tempted to import a Japanese 3DS, and then when the game comes out, go radio silent until I've unlocked all the characters myself.
Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do [in a similar vein]. I'll pretty much hide under a rock after the Japanese release and wait till the English one, then unlock all the characters before finally allowing myself back on the internet.

Avoiding spoilers will be...pretty much impossible. But I'm sure we can do it. It all hinges on...

Indeed it will. Indeed it will...XD

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You know you wouldn't be able to do that... i'm pretty sure you will watch the full roster as soon as it goes online
I could surgically remove the wifi chip from behind my eyeballs...

Also, I have a new hobby. I go on Miiverse and r/smashbros, and pose as a Ridley detractor. But I make shaky arguments, so that supporters can prove them wrong and show everyone Ridley can work.

Example:
"idk Ridley always seemed a little big from brawl. How would they make him smaller and still intimidating? I feel like if he lost his fear factor it wouldn't be the same."

Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do [in a similar vein]. I'll pretty much hide under a rock after the Japanese release and wait till the English one, then unlock all the characters before finally allowing myself back on the internet.

Avoiding spoilers will be...pretty much impossible. But I'm sure we can do it. It all hinges on...
Basically I'll have to unsubscribe form the smashbros subreddit, treat smashboards like cancer, unfollow the 2 smash groups I'm following on facebook, pretend I'm highly allergic to any and all Nintendo news, and make sure I don't talk to any of my friends. Also I'll somehow have to learn Japanese, or how to navigate the menus by pure force of will.

Last edited:

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
Also, I have a new hobby. I go on Miiverse and r/smashbros, and pose as a Ridley detractor. But I make shaky arguments, so that supporters can prove them wrong and show everyone Ridley can work.

Example:
"idk Ridley always seemed a little big from brawl. How would they make him smaller and still intimidating? I feel like if he lost his fear factor it wouldn't be the same."
Oh goodness, that's ingenious.

Also I'll somehow have to learn Japanese, or how to navigate the menu by pure will.
Perhaps learning Japanese from now until the release will be a good time waster. XD But I don't think it'd be too hard to navigate it, and it's a good thing that Smash doesn't really have much text to read, if at all. I think you'd be fine X3

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh goodness, that's ingenious.

Perhaps learning Japanese from now until the release will be a good time waster. XD But I don't think it'd be too hard to navigate it, and it's a good thing that Smash doesn't really have much text to read, if at all. I think you'd be fine X3
Well I've started posting on the subreddit the past few days and nobody understands sarcasm over there, so it'll be real easy to go undercover as a mindless detractor, since they all believed me when I told them I thought Wario was cut, lol. (on the topic of wario being leaked through the eshop, I sarcastically called it a fake because there was no way Wario was returning... seemed obvious /s to me but I guess not)

As for Japanese, I've actually taken a course for it at my university, but we only got through 2 of the 3 written languages. Kanji is the one not covered until JAPN102, but it's also the most common, and arguably hardest to learn since it's a symbol based language instead of phonetic, like hiragana and katakana. Plus I probably don't actually know the meanings of enough hiragana words for reading it to be helpful, but I can probably look those up without spoiling myself. The menus shouldn't be too big a deal, because I can just memorize where they all lead. The hard parts will be when notification menus come up for side things I unlock and I accidentally speed through them, and then have no idea what I just got @.@

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
Well I've started posting on the subreddit the past few days and nobody understands sarcasm over there, so it'll be real easy to go undercover as a mindless detractor, since they all believed me when I told them I thought Wario was cut, lol. (on the topic of wario being leaked through the eshop, I sarcastically called it a fake because there was no way Wario was returning... seemed obvious /s to me but I guess not)

As for Japanese, I've actually taken a course for it at my university, but we only got through 2 of the 3 written languages. Kanji is the one not covered until JAPN102, but it's also the most common, and arguably hardest to learn since it's a symbol based language instead of phonetic, like hiragana and katakana. Plus I probably don't actually know the meanings of enough hiragana words for reading it to be helpful, but I can probably look those up without spoiling myself. The menus shouldn't be too big a deal, because I can just memorize where they all lead. The hard parts will be when notification menus come up for side things I unlock and I accidentally speed through them, and then have no idea what I just got @.@
PffFFT. That Wario thing. It's like people who were convinced that Ike would be cut.

Personally I've never tried to study Japanese but I have a few friends who have. I'd say memorizing the menus and where they lead to would probably be your best bet. And yeah, no mashing A when you get notifications! XD

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
PffFFT. That Wario thing. It's like people who were convinced that Ike would be cut.

Personally I've never tried to study Japanese but I have a few friends who have. I'd say memorizing the menus and where they lead to would probably be your best bet. And yeah, no mashing A when you get notifications! XD
I'm going to try to like get pictures of all the notifications and stuff so I can post them here, but it's gonna be hard lol, I'm gonna be too excited and feel like I need to unlock everything, haha.

(assuming I import it) Since Japan is 13 hours ahead of my time zone, I'll be able to get the game ~11am that Friday. I have no classes on Friday, so I'll have about 3 straight days to play it, lol. Hopefully I'll be able to unlock most of the characters in that time.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
you know, this whole ridley thing has actually started getting to me... i havent been able to sleep right for the past few days...

i cant take it much longer... just put an end to it, already... damn it, sakurai.

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
I'm going to try to like get pictures of all the notifications and stuff so I can post them here, but it's gonna be hard lol, I'm gonna be too excited and feel like I need to unlock everything, haha.

(assuming I import it) Since Japan is 13 hours ahead of my time zone, I'll be able to get the game ~11am that Friday. I have no classes on Friday, so I'll have about 3 straight days to play it, lol. Hopefully I'll be able to unlock most of the characters in that time.
GODSPEED, MY FRIEND! I'm sure you can do it *thumbs up*

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
So after about 2 months of unceremoniously stalking this board, I figured it was about time I finally made an account and join my fellow Ridley supporters.

But hey, at least I'll still be in time to celebrate a full year of Ridley teasing without ever showing everyone's favorite space dragon come August 20th.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So after about 2 months of unceremoniously stalking this board, I figured it was about time I finally made an account and join my fellow Ridley supporters.

But hey, at least I'll still be in time to celebrate a full year of Ridley teasing without ever showing everyone's favorite space dragon come August 20th.
Awesome, welcome to our humble abode, which I'm sure you're already comfortable in if you've been lurking here for awhile, xD

Question, what made you decide to make you account now? We've had like 6 people make their first post on this thread in the last like, 2 days, but there hasn't been anything faintly Ridley or Metroid related going on. Just a hype bursting point?

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Awesome, welcome to our humble abode, which I'm sure you're already comfortable in if you've been lurking here for awhile, xD

Question, what made you decide to make you account now? We've had like 6 people make their first post on this thread in the last like, 2 days, but there hasn't been anything faintly Ridley or Metroid related going on. Just a hype bursting point?
*casually points over to Catydoll409* She partially pushed me into doing it after she made an account this morning. So I figured, why not?

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312

*casually points over to Catydoll409* She partially pushed me into doing it after she made an account this morning. So I figured, why not?
//whisper yes it was all my doing

I actually made my account to hear more about the Miahstorm leak, but I'm keeping an eye on the Ridley boards because I'm a huge [NO PUN INTENDED DARN IT] supporter of him being in Smash.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So this points the question at you Cat-

//whisper yes it was all my doing

I actually made my account to hear more about the Miahstorm leak, but I'm keeping an eye on the Ridley boards because I'm a huge [NO PUN INTENDED DARN IT] supporter of him being in Smash.

oh. ok.

I've found that most of my posts here have accidental size puns in them now. I think it's become a behavioral conditioning.

I guess the closer we get to the game the more people feel the urge to speculate, I guess. The other 4 may have joined in a similar domino effect.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
So this points the question at you Cat-
I guess the closer we get to the game the more people feel the urge to speculate, I guess. The other 4 may have joined in a similar domino effect.
Before I joined here we had just been speculating back and forth. By which I mean, I read various post from this and other threads and she agreed with me. So I'd be good to finally do some actual speculating.

Top Bottom