• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I have a question for you all, that maybe you can answer. In Super Smash bros. Brawl, did any franchise ever get more representation through assist trophies then playable characters? I ask because right now, there are 3 confirmed metroid assist trophies; Metroid(NOT a pet), Dark Samus and Mother Brain., but we only have 2 playable reps, that we know of. If other franchises have had this happen then I will simply ignore it, but if there thus far has been always equal representation between assist trophies and playable characters, does that mean it already confirmed one more?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
first major hint was with his shadow in the smash brothers direct a few month back

before then we only got miivers post about character size and how smash dose not stay true to size ( which I guess would hint at Ridley...)
then why did someone say that sakurai should've revealed ridley as a boss, if thats all he is, "all the way back in august"?

last i checked, august has not arrived yet... unless they were talking about a year ago.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I have a question for you all, that maybe you can answer. In Super Smash bros. Brawl, did any franchise ever get more representation through assist trophies then playable characters? I ask because right now, there are 3 confirmed metroid assist trophies; Metroid(NOT a pet), Dark Samus and Mother Brain., but we only have 2 playable reps, that we know of. If other franchises have had this happen then I will simply ignore it, but if there thus far has been always equal representation between assist trophies and playable characters, does that mean it already confirmed one more?
Technically, some franchises were represented only through ATs, but other than that, I believe you are correct.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wario currently has two AT's, and I doubt Wario is getting a second character. In Brawl, there was only about one AT per franchise, max, except for the Mario franchise (which had about 3 I think). Some franchises were represented ONLY with AT's as well, and other franchises had no AT's (DK).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
then why did someone say that sakurai should've revealed ridley as a boss, if thats all he is, "all the way back in august"?

last i checked, august has not arrived yet... unless they were talking about a year ago.
"This is the Pyrosphere. An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second!"

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was similar to this.

D

Deleted member

Brawl had the following assist trophies:
Andross (Starfox)
Barbara the Bat (Band Brothers)
Devil (Devil World)
Dr. Wright (Sim City)
Excitebike (Excitebike)
Gray Fox (Metal Gear)
Hammer Bro (Mario Bros.)
Helirin (Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Infantry and Tanks (Advance Wars)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Jeff (Earthbound)
Jill and Drill Dozer (Drill Dozer)
Kat & Ana (Warioware)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Lakitu (Mario Bros.)
Little Mac (Punch Out!)
Lyn (Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken)
Metroid (Metroid)
Nintendogs (Nintendogs)
Ray MK II (Custom Robo)
Mr. Resetti (Animal Crossing)
Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment)
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Series)
Stafy/Starfy (Stafy)
Tingle (Legend of Zelda)
Waluigi (Mario Bros.; Spin-offs)

So in response to your first question, going off this list, the answer is no.

In Brawl, no franchise that had a playable character had more assist trophies from their franchise than playable characters. Although it is seemingly something minor, it is still something to note considering that as you said, we have 3 Metroid Assist Trophies in Smash 4 with only 2 confirmed Metroid characters, which would be odd given that such a thing didn't occur in Brawl.

Worst case scenario, Sakurai decided to change his mind and provide more assist trophies than playable characters from certain franchises this time around, but who knows?

Good catch though, I certainly hadn't thought of this whole Playable/AT situation at all.

EDIT: Half-:4greninja:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I return from Miiverse, with surprisingly less Ridley detractors then I would expect recently. Is this a good sign, or calm before a storm I wonder?
Calm before the storm. This is nothing but baseless speculation on my part (irrational intuition, essentially :denzel:) but I feel that the end is nigh. Either us Ridley fans will be Jumping for Joy soon, or we'll be cast in the Shadows of Despair. I'm not confident that they'll keep Ridley hidden after the 3DS release anymore; I feel that the time we'll be graced with his fate is very near.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
"This is the Pyrosphere. An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second!"

I don't remember the exact quote, but it was similar to this.
plus the more exact translation from enemy of the past was something along the lines of samus trauma, so it was 100% implied Ridley withouth being mentioned...

it's just that those are some veery long seconds... is sakurai entering Valve time?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's going to be 4 players. Most likely they just haven't asked Sakurai about the player number yet, and didn't want to make assumptions.
Inb4 64 player lobbies and matches become a thing for Smash 4.

The utter chaos would be beautiful. :troll:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Funny, since the 3DS page confirms that it's up to 4 players. Even stranger that it seems to me that the Wii U version of Smash is the only game that seems to have an undetermined amount (from the various games I checked, anyway).

:ankoku: results: It is inevitable! Gamepad functionalities eminent! Playable Bosses confirmed!

Pack it up, ladies and gentleman! It's time to go home. We're done here. Abandon Pirate Ship! :gova:

:troll:

...While this is interesting trivia, I don't think it means anything...yet. Though to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tried to sell us a dumb gamepad gimmick somehow. Nintendo's goal is to make the Gamepad more viable in their releases, after all.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mario! Link! Samus! Pikachu! All of your favorite Nintendo characters are back, along with plenty of new faces, in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, the next entry in the beloved Super Smash Bros. series. Up to four players can battle each other locally or online across beautifully designed stages inspired by classic Nintendo home console games. With a variety of control options and amiibo compatibility, the timeless Super Smash Bros. battles come alive.
They don't specify in the game's information, but they do in the text.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Funny, since the 3DS page confirms that it's up to 4 players. Even stranger that it seems to me that the Wii U version of Smash is the only game that seems to have an undetermined amount (from the various games I checked, anyway).

:ankoku: results: It is inevitable! Gamepad functionalities eminent! Playable Bosses confirmed!

Pack it up, ladies and gentleman! It's time to go home. We're done here. Abandon Pirate Ship! :gova:

:troll:

...While this is interesting trivia, I don't think it means anything...yet. Though to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tried to sell us a dumb gamepad gimmick somehow. Nintendo's goal is to make the Gamepad more viable in their releases, after all.
Well, as far as we know, the 3DS can only support up to 4 players, yet the Wii U can do 5. So while it IS most likely 4 players, the guys behind the blurb likely wanted to be safe than sorry in case there was a fifth player.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I really, really, reallllllllllly don't want a playable boss mode in the game. Sure it could be well implemented and I understand that they're trying to make selling points for the Wii U gamepad, but to a lot of us I think it would feel like such a slap in the face when we wanted several characters on the roster like Ridley and King K. Rool (Assuming they would be in the mode). Sure I'd play the hell out of it because playable Ridley in boss only mode is still a playable Ridley, but I wouldn't be happy about it exactly. I have my doubts about a mode like that having the right vibe, sure it would be a fun distraction, but it's something I don't think would be extremely popular.

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
I really, really, reallllllllllly don't want a playable boss mode in the game. Sure it could be well implemented and I understand that they're trying to make selling points for the Wii U gamepad, but to a lot of us I think it would feel like such a slap in the face when we wanted several characters on the roster like Ridley and King K. Rool (Assuming they would be in the mode). Sure I'd play the hell out of it because playable Ridley in boss only mode is still a playable Ridley, but I wouldn't be happy about it exactly. I have my doubts about a mode like that having the right vibe, sure it would be a fun distraction, but it's something I don't think would be extremely popular.
I think that's how most people who wanted those characters in would feel. And that's how I would feel about it, after a while.

It sounds interesting enough, but it basically just begs the question of 'Why not just have them be playable?'

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. @ AustarusIV AustarusIV That is not a satisfying size for Ridley, either. Perhaps five Samus heads taller, and I see a fitting Ridley!
But here is something else! We can make a community moveset for Ridley. Each post should be a different move. I hope some posters try.
side tilt= Ridley strongly smacks forward with their hand

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Yes, Zero Mission, Fusion, and Elevator-fight Metroid Prime 3 Ridley would probably not be feasible, however it conveniently ignores his much smaller size in SM, Prime, Prime 3 Omega Ridley, and Other M. Resizing Ridley isn't farfetched because it happens in every canonical Metroid game.

Also, @ SchAlternate SchAlternate posted how Other M Ridley would be if he was the size (roughly) of Super Metroid Ridley (the most popular and iconic Ridley, might I add).

I just don't like they idea of bosses being playable characters.
So you don't like the idea of Bowser, Wario, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Metaknight and Mewtwo (characters that debuted as boss battles), and other characters you usually fight against (like Wolf, for example) as playable characters? I agree, they would be really detrimental to the roster :rolleyes:

Unless you were referring to Smash Boss battles, and if so then...why? Seems a bit silly that a character portrayed in one role can't graduate to another. It's the equivalent to saying "I don't like trophies being playable characters", which would have axed Wario, Metaknight, Dedede and others. Or if previous Final Smashes couldn't be playable, which would axe Palutena.

And he is really big. Yes I know, "they can change his size", but honestly seeing Ridley deducted would look funny.
To each their own, but I find Bowser silly looking in some Mario games as well (his size in Mario Golf World Tour is pretty funny), yet that doesn't stop him from making appearances as being playable.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Yay! Thank you so much, @ Turokman5896 Turokman5896 . And that would be a particularly fun down tilt! Come on, everyone! What will the next move be?!
okay I guess before I go to bed

Down B: screams and hardens his skin giving him a black color that acts like a reflector, the scream has a small hitbox radius around his body doing some damage. This was in Other M.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Side B: Raises his hand, then moves forward and if fails to catch someone, swings his arm in front of him. Either grabs opponent and scrapes/drags along the floor, turning around when he reaches the ledge, or slashes him/her if fails to catch something before moving forward/flying/running animation ends. Kinda like that attack from Other M, but a little bit faster, doesn`t requires a wall and he just slams opponent into floor after finishing it.
I guess this is kinda obvious. It can work as Forward Throw too, but i think it would work better as an special.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I want to create more moves, but I know I should try to maximize the number of posters involved. Grr!

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/755/570/c27.png

I just don't like they idea of bosses being playable characters.

And he is really big. Yes I know, "they can change his size", but honestly seeing Ridley deducted would look funny.
Well, that's fair enough. Your opinion's your opin-

*sees the picture in the link*

Oh, never mind. Just another "your ideas and tastes make NO SENSE" post.

Move ideas? Hmm...

Down Smash-Ridley spins in circle rapidly, his tail dragging/digging into the ground, causing damage. This could work kind of like Marth's tipping mechanic, since the tail is damaging focus, the closer your enemies are to the tip, the more damage it does. Charged smashes do more damage and more spins for longer attack.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley-X shouldn't even be used as an argument against his inclusion, because that was only an improved version of him created by the X-Parasites. This is what Ridley actually looks like in Metroid Fusion, and as you can see, he's a lot smaller than what the X-Parasites would make later on. He's actually more comparable to the Super Metroid incarnation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom