• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I still think the idea of a substitute boss/something other than Roidley is a stretch at best. However, I do think that the most fitting Alfonzo would be the Rhedogian. Can fly, fire projectiles, swings its limbs around similarly, doesn't mind lava, and comes back numerous times despite being defeated.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure I saw Ridley in a hyrule warriors video. Does that increase his chances?

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure If I'm repeating whats already been said as I haven't read every single post in this thread, but thats all I had to say.
No one that's new to this thread does. Its seriously too big. I'm not even joking. Its a quick strain to the eyes and a headache.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I think I need a new gun, but don't tell my other guns.

She was one of the better new characters in a while. Still waiting for Ao Shin, or whatever, that dragon they teased like last year.
Ao Shin 2015 sadly. Riot has been focusing a lot more on reworks/ VGUs and balancing... I'm not mad about that. I love the remodels but I'm quite sad about Kha'zix. Riot hates the color purple. Hopefully he feels the same with the small base damage buff.

Edit: Considering that Ridley is purple, I wonder how broken he could be if he's playable.

Last edited:

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
A lot of people who say Ridley is to big usaly go for the brawl boss as an example. The one were he is over sized. In my eyes Ridley in other M does not even need to be scaled down that much.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Ao Shin 2015 sadly. Riot has been focusing a lot more on reworks/ VGUs and balancing... I'm not mad about that. I love the remodels but I'm quite sad about Kha'zix. Riot hates the color purple. Hopefully he feels the same with the small base damage buff.

Edit: Considering that Ridley is purple, I wonder how broken he could be if he's playable.
League talk? In the Ridley thread? Two things i love with a passion? *pulls up a chair*

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
League talk? In the Ridley thread? Two things i love with a passion? *pulls up a chair*
Inb4 we request Riot and Nintendo to work together to put a character from one of the fastest growing companies into Smash 5.

Edit: Also comes with a rare King Rammus skin code...

Edit 2: Riot has yet too find a lead director for Riot Japan servers I believe... so there is still hope...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've been trying to explain to someone the problem with hyping up a character to be exactly the same as always, only worse. They don't seem to see the problem with that.

I'm trying to get across that it's like teasing Mario as a playable character and going out of the way to depict him as a very downgraded character at that, a scenario which is pointless and stupid in its entirety. But they are just not getting anything it seems.

Yes. SURPRISE! Here's a popularly requested character! We'll spend a year teasing them only to give you the thing they NORMALLY TEND TO BE, only WORSE! Everything is the same except a bit worse, hope you're excited!

And really I've said this before. Ridley being a poorly designed boss is entirely extrapolated from what we've been given. If they wanted us to believe Ridley was a well-designed boss they would not have given us reason to think otherwise and had that be all we know about it. Just imagine if say, they showed off Shadow of the Colossus in a preview and all they showed of fighting Colossus was Wander helplessly smacking his sword against Valus' foot before being killed in one hit, and that was all anyone knew about how fighting colossi worked before the game came out.

I am legit convinced people just don't get how advertising and hype work. If they want a boss to look good they won't exclusively give it footage that makes it look bad.

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone see that really "funny" video Ultranick 24 posted on YouTube?
Just goes to show people do foolishly believe on implications and assumptions before explicit evidence is revealed. I've done it before... especially on this thread. That's why Sakurai is such a genius.

Edit: I support Ridley... but there is only circumstantial evidence that points to Ridley being playable. One should always be skeptical. People like Shokio, Nickultra24, etc. only recieve hate from Ridley fans because they are not open minded and are being really ignorant about other possibilities.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Just goes to show people do foolishly believe on implications and assumptions before explicit evidence is revealed. I've done it before... especially on this thread. That's why Sakurai is such a genius.
I wonder what he'll post once Ridley gets confirmed. Same with Shokio and Roger.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

It's all moot to me, I quit. That game ate 3 years of my life, it was cancerous. 45min matches are waaaay too much of an investment, especially if you play multiple a day. That game was heroin lol

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
It's all moot to me, I quit. That game ate 3 years of my life, it was cancerous. 45min matches are waaaay too much of an investment, especially if you play multiple a day. That game was heroin lol
Heroin indeed, very addictive...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Penny Arcade has some very apt descriptions of LoL. And other games. I have a few friends that have enough skins in league to have bought both a Wii U, 3DS, and both versions of smash. And if you play the game that shouldn't sound like an exaggeration lol

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
I made this

Hmm, this inspired me to write these lyrics:

Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the boss of a section called Nor-fair

In Planet SN-883 born and raised
On the space station was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some fire-ball outside of the school
When a couple of hunters who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mommabrain got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Nor-fair'

I ranted and raved with her day after day
But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
She gave me a donut and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
Drinking salty tears out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Nor-fair living like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.

I shrieked for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, Zebes to Nor-fair'

I pulled up to the section about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo Zebes eat ya later'
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Nor-fair

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I've been trying to explain to someone the problem with hyping up a character to be exactly the same as always, only worse. They don't seem to see the problem with that.

I'm trying to get across that it's like teasing Mario as a playable character and going out of the way to depict him as a very downgraded character at that, a scenario which is pointless and stupid in its entirety. But they are just not getting anything it seems.

Yes. SURPRISE! Here's a popularly requested character! We'll spend a year teasing them only to give you the thing they NORMALLY TEND TO BE, only WORSE! Everything is the same except a bit worse, hope you're excited!

And really I've said this before. Ridley being a poorly designed boss is entirely extrapolated from what we've been given. If they wanted us to believe Ridley was a well-designed boss they would not have given us reason to think otherwise and had that be all we know about it. Just imagine if say, they showed off Shadow of the Colossus in a preview and all they showed of fighting Colossus was Wander helplessly smacking his sword against Valus' foot before being killed in one hit, and that was all anyone knew about how fighting colossi worked before the game came out.

I am legit convinced people just don't get how advertising and hype work. If they want a boss to look good they won't exclusively give it footage that makes it look bad.
Sakurai doesn't really have an excuse at this point. In Brawl, one COULD argue that Sakurai was unaware of his popularity, but after being questioned on Ridley's exclusion as a playable character, the only reason as to why Sakurai would demote him yet again is either out of spite, or genuine loss of words in making him work as a character.

I dunno, if I was questioned on making someone playable, I would make a token effort on rectifying that next game at the very least.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I made this
I had this saved for a long time.
sakurai?

Do you wanna confirm Ridley?

Come on, Confirm him today!

We never see him anymore

why not smash 4

It’s like he’s flown away

We only saw a shadow

but now nothing I wish you would tell us

why! Do you wanna confirm Rildy? It kinda has to be a snowman…

Go away, fans.

Okay, bye…

Or ride our f-zeros in mushroomy?

I think a metroid rep is overdue

I’ve started talking to The assist trophies!

(Hang in there, Waluigi.)

It gets a little lonely

All these nah Sayers

Just watching dead arguments fly by…

(too-big RIDLEY F@G,Stage hazard,too big, stage hazard)

Sakruai, please I know he’s in there

People are asking what ridley is

They say, “Too big,” but that can’t be true

The fans are right here for you

Just tell us, is he in?

We only got one villian

I don’t count dedede

What are you gonna do?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

...how do you spend $8000 on a FREE game?

or is that an exaggeration in the comic?

i am purely a console and handheld gamer... mostly because i cant stand PCs in general, let alone the idea of gaming on them... so league of legends is about as well-known to me as the other end of the galaxy.

also noticed those few pyrosphere images someone posted earlier... it is SERIOUSLY driving me insane!

ridley being teased... people thinking he's a boss on pyrosphere, but yet every image we get of the stage has NO SIGN of a hazard on it.

JUST END IT ALREADY, SAKURAI!

END THE MADNESS!!!

Last edited:

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
I had this saved for a long time.
sakurai?

Come on, Confirm him today!

We never see him anymore

why not smash 4

It’s like he’s flown away

We only saw a shadow

but now nothing I wish you would tell us

why! Do you wanna confirm Rildy? It kinda has to be a snowman…

Go away, fans.

Okay, bye…

Or ride our f-zeros in mushroomy?

I think a metroid rep is overdue

I’ve started talking to The assist trophies!

(Hang in there, Waluigi.)

It gets a little lonely

All these nah Sayers

Just watching dead arguments fly by…

(too-big RIDLEY F@G,Stage hazard,too big, stage hazard)

Sakruai, please I know he’s in there

People are asking what ridley is

They say, “Too big,” but that can’t be true

The fans are right here for you

Just tell us, is he in?

We only got one villian

I don’t count dedede

What are you gonna do?

And the later once he's confirmed:

The ash blows black on battlefeild tonight

only claw marks can be seen

A kingdom of smash fighters

and it looks like he's the king

Ice Mountain's Melting breaking off to the sea

They said he was too big, but now they see.

Please let him in please let them see, be the dragon he always has to be, please let him in, please don't say no! Well now they know.

(Couldn't come up with anything past that...)

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
...how do you spend $8000 on a FREE game?

or is that an exaggeration in the comic?

i am purely a console and handheld gamer... mostly because i cant stand PCs in general, let alone the idea of gaming on them... so league of legends is about as well-known to me as the other end of the galaxy.

also noticed those few pyrosphere images someone posted earlier... it is SERIOUSLY driving me insane!

ridley being teased... people thinking he's a boss on pyrosphere, but yet every image we get of the stage has NO SIGN of a hazard on it.

JUST END IT ALREADY, SAKURAI!

END THE MADNESS!!!

League of Legends is free to play, but there is cosmetic stuff you can spend real money on. You don't need to buy anything to play or be competitive, but the pretties have a way of sucking you into buying them. That and you can unlock characters faster with real money.

This is a thing I made instead of going to sleep:

Edit: Whoops double posted. Guess my days are numbered. :drsad:

Last edited by a moderator:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ok...i skipped 80+ pages, but i will read them all even if you kept discussing Ghirahim, drugs and Ridley`s new hat...
Anyway, any good news, just news or really stupid topics/threads/posts by toobigots? Was Ridley in Roidley suit and Roidley in Ridley suit image posted here? No? Then my entire life...is a LIE!

I made 2 animations for classic Ridley with edited eyes while having absolutely nothing to do (that is what i do in such cases when im too bored to use toobigots` blood to attempt to ressurect Ridley) and they look fine for me:
Wait 1:

Wait 2:
What do you think about them and this model`s kinda new eyes?

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
This is a rare sight indeed, to see Hazama of all people trying to calm everybody down :chuckle:
It's like Kefka Palazzo taking time out of his day to feed the cat. :awesome:

i wish i could skip ahead in time... get this next month over with and see what ridley's status is.
Not long to go, all the same. We got this!

If Ridley is a boss, getting all those pictures of the pyrosphere must be a real pain. If the yellow devil is any indication then boss ridley would appear quite frequently and the smash direct shows that he moves around a lot. Think about all the pictures and gameplay clips that have been taken on the pyrosphere. Try to avoid a possible boss Ridley in those must be a pain.
Isn't it possible that they could just have the ability to turn off the Stage Hazards when they take pictures? They're the developers, after all.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
those animations look nice... every time i see an animation of ridley, it just makes me want him playable more and more.

i swear, sakurai... if you reveal ridley as ANYTHING other than playable... im gonna... IM GONNA DO SOMETHING!

oh, i know... i'll shave your head and write "jerk" on your bald head, sakurai!

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Just going by memory of the brawl model, those eyes seem to make him look more intelligent and less of a 'imma mindless beast' vibe that the brawl model gave me.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
those animations look nice... every time i see an animation of ridley, it just makes me want him playable more and more.

i swear, sakurai... if you reveal ridley as ANYTHING other than playable... im gonna... IM GONNA DO SOMETHING!

oh, i know... i'll shave your head and write "jerk" on your bald head, sakurai!
Then Sakurai will disappear in a smoke. While you will look at his substitute that appeared where Sakurai was, he will Falcon Punch and Knee of Justice you. Then he will laugh. And count his money.

Just going by memory of the brawl model, those eyes seem to make him look more intelligent and less of a 'imma mindless beast' vibe that the brawl model gave me.
I agree with that. Those eyes in Brawl are something that Ridley never had in any of the previous games. Even in NES Metroid.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Then Sakurai will disappear in a smoke. While you will look at his substitute that appeared where Sakurai was, he will Falcon Punch and Knee of Justice you. Then he will laugh. And count his money.

I agree with that. Those eyes in Brawl are something that Ridley never had in any of the previous games. Even in NES Metroid.
well, then... i'll just have to make money useless.

TIME TO BRING THE APOCALYPSE.

yes, for not having ridley playable, i'd end the world as we know it.

disproportionate retribution at its finest. :demon:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
well, then... i'll just have to make money useless.

TIME TO BRING THE APOCALYPSE.

yes, for not having ridley playable, i'd end the world as we know it.

disproportionate retribution at its finest. :demon:
Hear it? That silence? Sakurai noticed you...watch out...and search for little read dot on your head...

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Ok...i skipped 80+ pages, but i will read them all even if you kept discussing Ghirahim, drugs and Ridley`s new hat...
Anyway, any good news, just news or really stupid topics/threads/posts by toobigots? Was Ridley in Roidley suit and Roidley in Ridley suit image posted here? No? Then my entire life...is a LIE!

I made 2 animations for classic Ridley with edited eyes while having absolutely nothing to do (that is what i do in such cases when im too bored to use toobigots` blood to attempt to ressurect Ridley) and they look fine for me:
Wait 1:

Wait 2:
What do you think about them and this model`s kinda new eyes?
Lovely animations as always! and...you made his eyes smaller?

Last edited:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Whelp, just got back from both of his videos. I've decided to take a more diplomatic route to my reasoning, and hope it works better than my former Feroxi methods.

Man, some of those arguments are so stupid.

Okay, Ultranick. you seem to be reasonable. I know you have your own opinions on Ridley, and I respect that. however, I ask that you hear me out on these issues you bring up, and allow me to show you the issues you've brought up, and why I don't believe they really hurt Ridley's chances at all.
1. Bowser is a Turtle.
yes, I'm glad you know that. turtles are real animals that vary in size. the best part about Ridley? he's a fictional species. Dragons can be any size. there is no set size for them. they are usually massive, yes, but there is no real-world equivalent to say, "Oh, they have to be Huge".

case in point, Ridley is often depicted as being 1.5X the size of Samus in most Metroid Games, with Ridley's airborne nature and large wings providing an optical illusion that makes him seem much larger than he really is. not only that, but he constantly shifts sizes. he's only been overly gigantic in Brawl, where he was 3X Samus's height, and during the Meta Ridley fight in Norian. in both those games, Ridley actually shifts his size to become smaller than before. Yes, he goes from being huge to being Samus's height within the same game. Why was he those hieghts? BECAUSE HE NEEDED TO FILL THE ROLE THE BOSS FIGHT REQUIRED. Ridley at his normal size in Brawl wouldn't be super-imposing for the purposes in Brawl, as that would put him only slightly bigger than Bowser, and would look like a really pathetic boss when playing as, well, anyone. however, in a Game like Metroid: Other M, Ridley can get away with being much Smaller because in that game, he fights as AN UP-CLOSE BRAWLER. kinda like how he would as a playable Smash Character. Canonicly, Ridley is anywhere from 10-14 Feet, making him barely taller than not only Bowser, but Ganondorf as well, going by their canonical appearences.

2. SSBB Mods of Ridley.
Of Course he looks terrible. that model was INTENDED TO BE USED AS A BOSS, NOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER. To See how Ridley would work as a playable character, an entirely different Model would need to have been designed for that purpose.

3. He wouldn't be intimidating.
Look at the Other M Battle. Ridley is Almost at a playable size, and he's still very intimidating.

4. With a Design like that, he would not look intimidating whatsoever.
I agree. that would just look pathetic. luckily, he doesn't have to look like that:

as for potential problems there could be for his design, he wouldn't have to look anorexic. Other M has a Muscular build that could be the inspiration for his SSB4 design. He doesn't really HAVE to curl up his wings. just have them extend into the foreground and Background. As for his tail, I could see it being a similar case to Diddy Kong's, or also curling into the foreground and Background. it also doesn't have to be at full length all the time, just long enough so that it doesn't seem abnormal.

5. Unoriginality.
Ridley and Charizard share attributes, but then again, we have 8 sword users, so make of that what you will. but even ignoring that, Ridley and Charizard have other attributes to set them apart. Ridley has a Skin-Hardening technique that gives him Super Armor. Ridley has a whip-like Scorpian tail. Ridley can scrape people against walls, and so much more. on the flip side, Charizard can preform attacks like Flare Blitz and Rock Smash, and he has his Mega Charizard X Transformation. if you want to further differentiate them, you could make Ridley as an Anti-Little Mac: have him be slow and clunky on the ground, but give him fantastic air-game. I could also see a hover maneuver, similar to what Peach has.

6. The famous Shadow theory.
Now, this is all speculation, so bare with me:
Doesn't it seem a little bizarre that Sakurai would introduce Pyrosphere, show us several pictures of it without Ridley, and then, 8 months later, show us a shadow without directly mentioning Ridley (Or Pyrosphere, for that matter), and then leave Pyrosphere out of the E3 Demo? is he trying to build hype out of Ridley being in his usual role, albeit SMALLER THAN NORMAL?

Yes. Ridley actually seems to be smaller than normal. once again, the size of the wings lead us to see a much larger character. how do I know? avoid looking at the wings. Ridley does not seem to be all that big.

also, what is he doing, exactly? he's nonchalantly floating in, sitting there for a while, and then flying off. to compare him to the Yellow devil, this is just....weird. Yellow Devil is constantly attacking, and Ridley is known to be a much more violent fighter. so why is he not fighting?

how is he continuously flying? maybe he has a Peach-esc. floating ability, like I mentioned before. speaking of his flight pattern, I could have sworn I saw him JUMP in. why would a flying Boss need to jump to gain altitude?

and now, onto the Shadow's animation: It's very choppy. Ridley is clearly changing animations on a whim, and it's especially noticeable when Ridley begins to leave. a pre-scripted Boss shouldn't have this problem. usually, this is an attribute only for Playable characters, who are constantly preforming different moves on a whim. Before I wrote this comment, I watched the Direct footage again, and paid attention to Ridley's movement. Or, to be specific, the beginning of his movement.

He flies in, shifts naturally into idle state in the air... and then as he goes from idle to flying, his tail doesn't go up or anything, it "warps" from being underneath him to being directly behind him as he flies.

and lastly, the statement's ambiguity: "Boss Characters Make appearances on other stages, not just this one." yes, he shows Pyrosphere and the shadow, but makes no explicit mention of Ridley or his status in-game. If he wanted people to take this as he presented, he would've cleared it up in a pic of the day. Lucina and Chrom's roles in the game were unclear to a lot of the fanbase, so he cleared up the issue the very next day in Miiverse. Ridley is still ambiguous, and has been the past 4 months, and he hasn't so much as uttered his name.

I can't confirm anything for sure, but I think it's a little too early to say if he's Deconfirmed or not. (You WON? Won What? won the ability to not play as Ridley? Even if He's in, you don't have to play as him....)

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I watched the Direct footage again, and paid attention to Ridley's movement. Or, to be specific, the beginning of his movement.

He flies in, shifts naturally into idle state in the air... and then as he goes from idle to flying, his tail doesn't go up or anything, it "warps" from being underneath him to being directly behind him as he flies. Food for thought.

Top Bottom