• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well it's not particularly difficult to take every reason we use to support his inclusion as playable, and make it apply to being a boss. Ridley's still the most well known/recurring boss in Metroid, is influential enough to warrant his continued representation in Smash, and the outcry for him could easily be construed as "they'll appreciate if he's included at all/in any way, role or form!" Which actually isn't necessarily wrong, even though the majority of us would say otherwise.

I think of it a lot like how it would be weird if we got a random Mario enemy as a boss in Melee before getting Bowser as one, even despite his playable appearance. I would hope Sakurai would eventually realize that's pretty much what we want for Ridley, as well. Granted I'd love a Metroid Queen, or pretty much any boss.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Why make Ridley a boss when there are so many other alternatives to choose from, like Mother Brain, Queen Metroid, Kraid, Phantoon, Omega Metroid, Nightmare, or even Draygon?

That's my question to those people who think he's the best boss rep.
mother brain is an assist trophy, though.

you'd think with all the extra attention metroid is getting in this game, having two new assist trophies... a NEW playable character, and a new villain added to smash bros, in the form of ridley... would be the perfect way to top it all off.

i wish i could skip ahead in time... get this next month over with and see what ridley's status is.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Ridley just got deconfirmed again. Looks like you guys will have to switch to Charizard.:troll:

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
mother brain is an assist trophy, though.

you'd think with all the extra attention metroid is getting in this game, having two new assist trophies... a NEW playable character, and a new villain added to smash bros, in the form of ridley... would be the perfect way to top it all off.
And apparently Kraid/Mini-Kraid in Smash Run. So yeah, I daresay there's definitely way more Metroid lovin' going on than pretty much all the past Smash games combined. All that's left is for Ridley in a fighter slot on his own, and it's golden.

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
I'm starting to think Ridley may be able to be put in this game. I've been doing s lot of research and watching a ton of videos and I'm thinking it is quite possible he will be included... I do hope he won't look weird, they would probably have to make his bone structure bigger so he doesn't look so skinny as **** compaired to other characters. I'm at a 50/50 right now, who knows, he could be both. Ridley in Other M was a clone and if he is a playable character AND a stage hazard, maybe the playable character is a new, small clone while the stage hazard is the original, big Ridley and when a player selects Ridley as a character and goes to that stage, maybe boss Ridley becomes Mecha Ridley... just cause, even though character Ridley would be a clone (in this theory).

I'm not all gung ho "Ridley is a playable character, there's no doubt about it." I think it could go either way and my heart wouldn't be broken either way either, one thing I know for sure though is that he will be in the game in some way, shape, or form. They'd probably just make him slightly taller then Bowser, I can see that happening. The fact is, there's no proof to whether he's a boss or playable either way, there are shadows, hints and other things that confirm he is in fact in the game somehow... but not how he is. All in all, I wish it would just stop being spammed everywhere, who cares? Can't we just wait for the game?

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
People are saying the Tomodachi Life stage is too small for him to fit... Which is kinda dumb as Rosalina fits fine...
As well as Bowser and Charizard seeing as they're usually the biggest (out of the characters in this game so far) characters and they're confirmed. I'm sure Ridley would only be a tad bigger then Bowser.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So Green Hills was just confirmed to be a 3DS stage. Was it mentioned on the "Stage dump leak"?
Link? Where did you see this? It'd be very beneficial to know that Brawl stages can appear on 3DS, but I don't see it anywhere.

Either way, I didn't buy the notion that the Stage dump leak was legit anyway.

People are saying the Tomodachi Life stage is too small for him to fit... Which is kinda dumb as Rosalina fits fine...
Stupid is as stupid does...

Last edited:

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
but we all know what the truly important screenshot is
Okay. That's just great. Where did you get it though?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm blind.

Also, with stage reveals almost every day so far this week, I'm really hoping for a 3DS Metroid stage to be shown soon. Something from Fusion or even something from Hunters like Vesper Defense Outpost could be cool.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do fear that Sakurai might end stage week with Hazardley...

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
So I wonder, is Nabbit considered a boss? You can hit him apparently:

that falcon butt...

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

to add something ridley-related, though... is anyone else planning on just... leaving the internet... if ridley is revealed to be unplayable?

i have a feeling it is just going to be UNBEARABLE with all the detractors celebrating their hate-fest.

at the very least, i will not be going to any forums, or miiverse, or look at anything smash-related on youtube, or anything else that might have comments all over it from ridley-haters.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
The reason I asked if Nabbit was considered a boss, is because the stage he's a boss in WAS a stage at E3, even though he wasn't included in it. Which should mean that they could have easily added Pyrosphere as a stage in the E3 demo too right? Just remove Ridley and you're good to go. But why did they instead completely ignore it?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nabbit isn't a boss persay, but he's a stage hazard. He shows up and grabs people, then runs off. "Stage Bosses" is just a fancy word for "Stage Hazard," really, because that's all the Yellow Devil is.

NatP

Smash Ace
Well, the way I've always personally classified the difference between stage hazards and stage bosses, is that you can attack the stage bosses (Yellow Devil, Nabbit apparently) but not the stage hazads (like the cannons in Halberd).

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Nabbit isn't a boss persay, but he's a stage hazard. He shows up and grabs people, then runs off. "Stage Bosses" is just a fancy word for "Stage Hazard," really, because that's all the Yellow Devil is.
From what I know, a Stage Boss is a stage hazard that can be fought, and when defeated rewards the player with things. Like explosions, apparently. Not sure what Ridley would give. Floating health and missile pickups?

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
The main (only?) difference between a regular hazard and YD is that the later grants you a prize, an advantage for you to use, whereas with regular hazards all you get from beating them is just getting rid of them. Basically, they are hostile Smash Balls.
Right now I cant think of anything interesting that Bossley could reward you with, maybe its a free KO/stock, or if Sakurai feels lazy or in a hurry, also just an explosion (which is admittedly something that Ridley does).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Tomodachi Life argument is so stupid. Ridley detractors never cease to amaze me.
I do fear that Sakurai might end stage week with Hazardley...
At least it would put an end into this seemingly endless debate about Ridley's chances... Wait... No, it actually wouldn't.

Oh well...

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I can see it now. Stage week will end with an empty Pyrosphere. And then nothing is revealed at Comic Con. Sakurai would be evil enough to do that, after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom