• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
OOH! I SAW IT! I SAW IIT! Ridley does grab Pikachu! I see Pikachu's tail in the shadow!

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for replying, you two. But what is Roidley? Is that Other M Ridley?
Darn, wait. It's Ridley's tail. But Ridley's shadow looks weird after a few seconds.. It looks like Ridley swivels, roars, then leaves.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
What I think happened at the direct with Ridley's shadow:

Pikachu walked into the camera. Walked out. Ridley dashed in (flying, just like peach's hover). After he came close to pikachu he did a dash grab with his feet. It's the same move he did in his boss-fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfVRiYh96M

00:16 and 00:24 for example.

Here's an image of him holding Pikachu:

You can see he dashed in and grabbed pikachu because after he grabbed him he bounced back like when someone's getting recoil.

You can also see pikachu's struggling to get free.

Watch closely yourself:
http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?frameNum=201

After Pikachu is released, Ridley gave chase.

I think this is a special move for Ridley. Where he grabs someone and it continuesly does damage untill the opponent breaks free. The grab will be longer the higher the opponent's percentage is. Just like in super metroid. Ridley does this in Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission as well (this time with his hands). Where you receive damage (because he is holding you) untill you break free. Yakuza had a similar move except he slammed you on the ground.

Makes perfect sense for a special attack and is in my opinion very very very awesome.
Ooh! Ooh! I just noticed something too!
14xgjts.png

Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma go make a "Yellow Devil is playable!" thread!

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Ooh! Ooh! I just noticed something too! View attachment 18928
Now if you'll excuse me, I'mma go make a "Yellow Devil is playable!" thread!
Well, at least you'll be doing something productive if you do that rather than pointing out the vague statement that all the other detractors seem to cling to like a gecko superglued to a candy apple.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
People are still denying the fact that not only is he a lot smaller than his appearance in Brawl, but that his shadows moves nothing like he did in that game?

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
OK. I think I understand Roidley, as in steroids. Though I slightly agree with those who do not want this new Ridley, I do enjoy the bright purple of Other M Ridley.

majora_787

Smash Hero
People are still denying the fact that not only is he a lot smaller than his appearance in Brawl, but that his shadows moves nothing like he did in that game?
He doesn't even more or act like bosses we've seen in THIS game, moving around slowly in the playable plain, hopping, and not attacking for an 11 second window.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Yea... if Sakurai wanted to add Ridley as a boss character he would have just implemented the data from SSBB. He would not have wasted time changing Ridley.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Phosphora is an assist trophy. Ergo, Ridley can be a boss character.

Bowser, Dedede, and Donkey Kong were bosses at some point in their games.
Erm... My point is that Ridley IS a boss character, in the sense that Yellow Devil is as well; essentially a glorified stage hazard.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I guess I fail to see either of your points. Explanation, please?
Some think that "boss characters" refers to characters that appear as bosses in their respective games.
So Bowser is a "boss character" that can "appear" on other stages, technically...because he's playable...and can therefor appear on any stage.
I think it's a bit of a grasping-at-straws way of interpreting it, but to each their own. :p

When Phosphora was first shown in a random Pic of the Day, she was shown as just a plain ol' trophy. Sakurai said that she is a trophy. It was then confirmed later on that she's also an Assist "Trophy." Interpret that however you will.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Some think that "boss characters" refers to characters that appear as bosses in their respective games.
So Bowser is a "boss character" that can "appear" on other stages, technically...because he's playable...and can therefor appear on any stage.
I think it's a bit of a grasping-at-straws way of interpreting it, but to each their own. :p

When Phosphora was first shown in a random Pic of the Day, she was shown as just a plain ol' trophy. Sakurai said that she is a trophy. She's also an Assist "Trophy." Interpret that however you will.
Agreed. I think that argument shouldn't be used at all in this case, because it makes us look as though we're grasping at straws. It's better to focus more on Sakurai's deliberate ambiguity and the odd movements of his shadow.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yea... if Sakurai wanted to add Ridley as a boss character he would have just implemented the data from SSBB. He would not have wasted time changing Ridley.
Honestly, he would have probably had to change him at least slightly for balance purposes or implementing him in "Pyrosphere," so that he could fit the "contour" of the stage.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
How does Concept Artley look?

Erm... My point is that Ridley IS a boss character, in the sense that Yellow Devil is as well; essentially a glorified stage hazard.
Sakurai has never said Ridley is a boss or stage hazard on Pyrosphere. He has not elaborated on the nature of the supposed glorified Stage Hazard. He has not even referred to him by name.

I am free to interpret his words as Sakurai alluding to his previous role as a boss while foreshadowing his playability.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
I just want to add: Don't forget that Sakurai has been known to straight up lie about certain characters fate in the past. Remember Zero Suit Samus in the Smash Direct? "She won't be participating in this game." That is literally what Sakurai said. So even if Sakurai had said "Ridley is a boss in this game", unless he also gave solid proof that he IS indeed a boss, then it would all still be up the air.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for sharing the art. I also prefer Ridley's nostril-less, bill-like mouth there, over the usual reptilian mouth. Remember Ridley's artwork for NES Metroid, anyone? That was extremely unique and strange, but we may never see it again.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just want to add: Don't forget that Sakurai has been known to straight up lie about certain characters fate in the past. Remember Zero Suit Samus in the Smash Direct? "She won't be participating in this game." That is literally what Sakurai said. So even if Sakurai had said "Ridley is a boss in this game", unless he also gave solid proof that he IS indeed a boss, then it would all still be up the air.
I feel as though this assertion would be more feasible if he was dishonest for an extended period of time, rather than an abrupt "fake-out."

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
In terms of design preference, it's a toss up between that and Box Coverartley:

The two things I like about this Ridley are the well defined pupils and the body proportions. It looks like it would work perfectly for Smash, especially the better defined pupils which would help make him more expressive and less generic monster-y.
It just needs to be purple.

Roidley's tail (Since I'm really a fan of the knife for a tail) on this design would be perfect for me.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Sakurai has never said Ridley is a boss or stage hazard on Pyrosphere. He has not elaborated on the nature of the supposed glorified Stage Hazard. He has not even referred to him by name.

I am free to interpret his words as Sakurai alluding to his previous role as a boss while foreshadowing his playability.
No, he just immediately showed a cut of Ridley's shadow immediately after discussing how the Yellow Devil functions "as a boss character" on the Megaman stage. On Pyrosphere. With the tagline "other boss character appearances."
Context, sir. If I were to make a video detailing various examples of bad things happening in the world, specifically mentioning terrorism, and then showed a picture of the World Trade Center, you'd be free to interpret my words as alluding to a new project to rebuild the Twin Towers.
You'd still be wrong, though.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
My question has nothing to do with that post. I wanted a fleshed-out response from the other poster.
Now hush, child. The grown-ups are trying to have a conversation ;)
Ok, that does it. You've gone ahead and personally attacked me, so now I'll just have to show you exactly what you need to see.
First of all: you've already got plenty of responses from so many people. Here, I'll quote all of them so far:

When Phosphora was first shown in a random Pic of the Day, she was shown as just a plain ol' trophy. Sakurai said that she is a trophy. It was then confirmed later on that she's also an Assist "Trophy." Interpret that however you will.
Phosphora is an assist trophy. Ergo, Ridley can be a boss character.

Bowser, Dedede, and Donkey Kong were bosses at some point in their games.
But because you seem to be extremely ignorant, I'll sum them up.
  • "Boss character" is incredibly vague wording. Previously, Sakurai has gone ahead and completely outright deconfirmed characters: Why would he simply beat around the bush here?
  • Bowser, Dedede and Donkey Kong can also be described as "boss characters" in that they are characters that have appeared as bosses
  • Phosphora has absolutely been confirmed to be 100% a trophy... oh wait a second, she was later shown as an assist trophy later.
Second off, you cannot simply disregard that post. It was put there specifically for people like you, so because you cannot appear to do something so simple as click the link, I'll quote it here instead.

Hello everyone! Thanks to @ IsmaR IsmaR I have been given the second post here on this Ridley Support Page! What I plan to do here is compile some of the best posts/videos by forum-goers on this thread over the past few months. A couple of disclaimers first of all
  • This is all Post Smash Direct evidence. This means after Ridley's shadow was shown in the April direct
  • This post is not meant to prove to you that Ridley is for sure playable, it is instead here to inform you on evidence you may not have know otherwise due to most media sites not reporting such evidence. If you came here spouting "Ridley is too big idiots", chances are, we sent you here.
  • The reason I felt called to create this post is for a couple reasons.
    1. I was once someone who didn't care for Ridley's inclusion. I am a Metroid fan, as well as a Ridley fan, but I never really cared, I still don't care too much about Ridley's inclusion, though I am certainly more wanting of his playability now that I have been on this thread for a few months now.
    2. I was convinced that Ridley at least has a better chance than not due to most of the posts that I will be showing below. I also assumed Ridley was deconfirmed after the shadow was showed, but then was turned in the complete opposite direction due to the analyst in this thread
    3. There began to be spam in the thread by Ridley detractors calling us stupid for believing he still has a chance. It would either in up in a flame war, or it would end up unneeded spam of past "great posts". We needed a mega-thread for these posts and I took it upon myself to create one.

GENERAL EVIDENCE:
Alright, below you will see General Evidence relating to Ridley's playability in Smash Bros. 4. This includes anything from Essay's, to general thinking logic on how we should look at Sakurai's teasing.

• The @aldelaro5 essay is a great example of someone not biased towards Ridley looking at the evidence that has been presented and drawing his own inclusions from it. Overall a great read.

• DDD Post. Not much to say, overall great post by @ddd87

• Great Post by @ majora_787 majora_787 on why it makes 0 sense for Sakurai to be hyping Ridley as a stage hazard

• Post by @Zem-raj on how Sakurai will usually outright dec-confirm characters, instead of being vague, which happens to be what he is doing with Ridley

SHADOW EVIDENCE:

Coming out of general evidence, you may already be thinking differently than you were before. But if you're not, maybe this will convince you, it is actually what convinced me. What you are about to see is Shadow Analysis'. Yep. The exact shadow that people are saying deconfirmed him as a stage boss? Turns out, it actually works out in favor of supporters more than detractors. Have a look for yourself.

• First up we have @Smashoperatingbuddy123 and his two phenomenal posts analyzing Ridley's shadow. In fact, this was the first post that began to turn me from "He's not in" to "He has a more for him than against him"

Head comparison:

Body Comparions:

Unfortunately, Smashboards is being EXTREMELY glitchy right here, so until a mod can do this themselves, or Smashboards gets a fix, I will have to link you to the exact post here, just look under the tab "Body Comparisons"

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-splounge-water.324284/page-637#post-16728288

• Next up,we have the excellent Shadow Analysis by @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt

MISCELLANEOUS EVIDENCE/THEORIES:

Next up is, well, the rest of it! These are extra theories that don't belong in the general section but are great theories that show how Sakurai is potentially teasing Ridley!

• First we got @Nietona with a great post summarizing the Trophy Theory. I actually specifically asked them to create this, so special thanks to them!

• Though I don't usually like theories with a deadline, I wanted to include this one. @BlueBubbee compiled a list of Metroid anniversary's in the month of August, this potentially could be the time for a reveal, though I would not be surprised if Ridley was secret till launch

• One more thing

And thus concludes the post! I may update it with some more posts along the way, but considering we're so close to launch, I may leave it as is and fix a few glitches.

Again, this post isn't to make you change your stance on Ridley, it is to shut up the "toobigots" and to prove that Ridley has more of a fighting chance than almost any other character in the running. Thank you for viewing my post. If you learned something, drop a like!
Take a look at the "shadow analysis" part of this, and it should show you what you need to know. Can't be bothered to read it? Too bad, cause your attention span in that case would appear to be too short for me to bother any further.
Have a nice day ;)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Ridley is all but confirmed to be playable at this point. I'm only just coming here to see how everyone's doing in the SPlounge, and when it's not boiling hot (with detractors).

The death of the Gematsu leak really did wonders for my faith in Ridley.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

The two things I like about this Ridley are the well defined pupils and the body proportions. It looks like it would work perfectly for Smash, especially the better defined pupils which would help make him more expressive and less generic monster-y.

Roidley's tail (Since I'm really a fan of the knife for a tail) on this design would be perfect for me.
I prefer "Box Coverartley" because he is red; purple might be my favorite color, but there is something satisfying about that Ridley.

I think Ridley is all but confirmed to be playable at this point. At this point, I'm just coming here to see how everyone's doing in the SPlounge, and when it's not boiling hot (with detractors).

The death of the Gematsu leak really did wonders for my faith in Ridley.
I agree with everything aside from the last sentence.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

To be perfectly honest, Brawley looks kinda like a port of Boxartley but more purple.
What's also funny is that Meta Ridley seems based on the SPRITE of Super Metroid Ridley.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
My question has nothing to do with that post. I wanted a fleshed-out response from the other poster.
Now hush, child. The grown-ups are trying to have a conversation ;)
Hey. I made the second post.

As another poster (myself),

I recommend reading the second post. You're arguments are baseless and no one will listen until you are educated on the subject. All of the arguments you are trying to make have been made in the second post.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I prefer "Box Coverartley" because he is red; purple might be my favorite color, but there is something satisfying about that Ridley.
Well, no matter the design, a coloration based on the Super Metroid boxart would be inevitable.
He'd need an alternate palette for the Red Team, after all!

To be perfectly honest, Brawley looks kinda like a port of Boxartley but more purple.
What's also funny is that Meta Ridley seems based on the SPRITE of Super Metroid Ridley.
Nah, Brawley's (This is just getting really silly and I love it.) wings are significantly larger and has less plump limbs.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ shrooby shrooby Hmmm. I also like those big eyes. I particularly like them on Ridley's SSBB trophy. But they may look strange on Other M Ridley. Anyway, I will enjoy a red, SNES boxartley.
@Con0rrrr Hey, what do you think of my arguments? Did you see them? I was not trying to deny Ridley's implementation, though. I was only raising concerns.

Top Bottom