• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I want a normal playable Ridley too. I main Ganondorf, so speed is not an issue to me either. But if I can only have that by seeing Ridley shrunken to a silly size, there may be another way. Special Ridley mode could take less time than normal playable Ridley, because special Ridley could be deliberately broken. This moveset would be too unique to implement on a normal character, so Ridley gets it!

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I am kinda hoping if ridley is playable we get a redesign
If he does get a redesign it will probably be based on the new upcoming Metroid games. I certainly hope we get more news about the 2D and 3D games specifically who is working on them.

Edit: Bowser has been slightly redesigned along with his moveset. I wouldn't be surprised if they did redesign him and yet still maintain his identity as a ferocious purple space dragon.

Last edited:

NatP

Smash Ace
You know what? Quote me on this.
Ridley will be in the next character reveal trailer.
Alright, let's do this then. You can quote me on this: I don't think Ridley is going to be in the next trailer, but instead he'll be on trailer after this next one.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still can't believe it's 2014 and people still do the "Ridley can't be resized, he'd look silly if he were scaled down because he is The Exception".

Like everyone else, if he's big but is on the high end compared to other fighters it doesn't matter. :\

EDIT: I don't know about the next reveal trailer or the one after it, but I am thinking Ridley will be revealed at the august direct in about 2 weeks or so.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I want a normal playable Ridley too. I main Ganondorf, so speed is not an issue to me either. But if I can only have that by seeing Ridley shrunken to a silly size, there may be another way. Special Ridley mode could take less time than normal playable Ridley, because special Ridley could be deliberately broken. This moveset would be too unique to implement on a normal character, so Ridley gets it!
He won't get shrunken to a silly size, though. I understand where you're coming from regarding a broken Ridley that could fight with the players, but Sakurai isn't going to let the developers do something ridiculous with Ridley like scale him down too far. He'll likely be the largest character on the roster, and the size mock-ups we've got in this thread are actually very good.

If there is a Ridley mode, though, it's folly to think it'd take less time to create than playable Ridley. We're talking an entire new mode here; it'd require everything that playable Ridley would require and more because it would be a new mode with new mechanics added onto a regular Smash. "Playable Bosses" in general is likely something that could be done, but a mode based solely around Ridley and no other character? That's way too much work. They wouldn't even consider it. While I don't think playable bosses are happening, they're a lot more likely than a specific Ridley mode.

It would be easier to make Ridley playable, and the only thing anyone can argue against that with is "size", which is an argument that doesn't work even in this context because it'd take less effort to scale Ridley down due to hitbox and how much of him they have to design.

It's playable roster slot Ridley or Stage Hazard Boss Ridley on Pyrosphere. Those're the only two options we're going to get, and I don't put any stock in the "two Ridleys, stage boss is a clone we can play as the original" theory. I can see an Alfonso-type thing, I guess, with Ridley being stage boss unless you select him, with either a stand-in or no stage boss to compensate, but I don't see it as likely at all.

There's really no denying it - we're either getting roster slot playable Ridley, or Stage Hazard Ridley on Pyrosphere.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I still can't believe it's 2014 and people still do the "Ridley can't be resized, he'd look silly if he were scaled down because he is The Exception".

Like everyone else, if he's big but is on the high end compared to other fighters it doesn't matter. :\

EDIT: I don't know about the next reveal trailer or the one after it, but I am thinking Ridley will be revealed at the august direct in about 2 weeks or so.
I might have drunk too much Water or whatever, but thanks to consistent exposure to this thread and my size charts, I get more confused than angry over the "too big" argument.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I might have drunk too much Water or whatever, but thanks to consistent exposure to this thread and my size charts, I get more confused than angry over the "too big" argument.
Eh, I don't really let the too big argument bug me much. I want to lash out at them with facts, but I don't. One of the main reasons I don't comment on Miiverse, YouTube, GameFAQs, etc.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Alright, let's do this then. You can quote me on this: I don't think Ridley is going to be in the next trailer, but instead he'll be on trailer after this next one.
Ridley will be revealed in Early August. my best guess is August 6th.

majora_787

Smash Hero
There's not even any point in getting upset with someone over the too big argument because the too big argument being a load of crap is insanely self-evident. I mean it's like if someone ran up to you and started getting in your face about how the sky can't be blue, planes can't fly, and gravity doesn't work. An argument is ridiculously pointless because I mean... :\

When people come up and go "Ridley is way too big and literally cannot be resized" it's literally the same thing. The facts of the matter are self evident and it's just more concerning and bizarre than literally anything else.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Nothing much to do then to anticipately wait then. I eagerly await the news on Ridley, and may this space dragon's odds forever be in your favor. I'm guessing there's around 2-4 newcomers left. So if Ridley gets revealed, what better way to do it then in early August? Thoug him in a villain (or even the last trailer) would be sick too.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I do not think a Ridley mode would take too long. It's just a plain stage with Ridley on it. It just happens to be called Ridley mode. One slight support for the problem of Ridley's size is this: try to imagine the awkwardness of four Ridley's on Final Destination, or a Ridley (or two) trying to fit in that little route on Hyrule Temple. There are ways to fix this, but I wonder what everyone thinks of that. @ Nietona Nietona I would not think so surely about what will happen. Mr. Sakurai could think of a whole other option which no one ever imagined! Anyway, thanks for focusing on my posts so far. @ MysticKnives MysticKnives I hope, whenever we get Ridley, that Mr. Sakurai grants Ridley a moveset which is deliberately more fun than most movesets, to enhance this anticipated arrival.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
There's not even any point in getting upset with someone over the too big argument because the too big argument being a load of crap is insanely self-evident. I mean it's like if someone ran up to you and started getting in your face about how the sky can't be blue, planes can't fly, and gravity doesn't work. An argument is ridiculously pointless because I mean... :\

When people come up and go "Ridley is way too big and literally cannot be resized" it's literally the same thing. The facts of the matter are self evident and it's just more concerning and bizarre than literally anything else.
Yeah. The worst thing is that nearly all of them are bloody sheep, in the sense that they all blindly follow a certain notion without questioning it, or even giving it a moment of thought. Hell, it's almost as if they don't want to think about it, as if it is some sort of natural law that Ridley is too big, that questioning that law would be heresy of some sort. It's almost deliberate ignorance.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I think Ridley will be revealed in the 2nd half of August, or maybe even early September.

Nothing would bring as much hype and discussion than playable Ridley, so I doubt they'd play their biggest card over a month before The Japanese release date.

I think it's entirely possible that we'll get a Nintendo Direct in early August with a Shulk reveal, then Ridley either in his own video like Robin/Lucina or in a separate Smash Direct in late August.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I do not think a Ridley mode would take too long. It's just a plain stage with Ridley on it. It just happens to be called Ridley mode. One slight support for the problem of Ridley's size is this: try to imagine the awkwardness of four Ridley's on Final Destination, or a Ridley (or two) trying to fit in that little route on Hyrule Temple. There are ways to fix this, but I wonder what everyone thinks of that. @ Nietona Nietona I would not think so surely about what will happen. Mr. Sakurai could think of a whole other option which no one ever imagined! Anyway, thanks for focusing on my posts so far. @ MysticKnives MysticKnives I hope, whenever we get Ridley, that Mr. Sakurai grants Ridley a moveset which is deliberately more fun than most movesets, to enhance this anticipated arrival.
That isn't really a new mode, though. That's just playable Ridley, but only allowed in a certain area. That would undoubtedly make people rage even more than Stage Hazardley could ever hope to. I don't think Sakurai would want Metroid fans taking a break from kicking Team Ninja's and Sakamoto's teeth in to turn around and begin kicking his teeth in. As Mewtwo/K. Rool/Ridley would be the Big 3 antagonists for Smash, Sakamoto/Team Ninja/Sakurai would be the big three antagonists for Ridley. Sakurai would be let off sooner though, undoubtedly. People would be very sore and salty about it, though.

Four Ridleys on final destination wouldn't be a problem if four Bowsers on there aren't a problem. I think you're either underestimating how big Final Destination is, or overestimating how big Ridley would actually be. Size is not and never will be a valid argument against Ridley's inclusion. Hell, if size was ever an issue, in that interview Nintendo Power had with Sakurai, he'd have responded more with "I think it would be pretty impossible. His size would be difficult to downscale, but if we'd put our best efforts into it, it could be done." rather than commenting on his initial speed. Ridley is perfectly capable of being downscaled to fit everything in the entire game, and if you don't agree with this, quite simply, you're wrong, no matter who you are.

And, no problem focusing on posts. I'm just trying to respond and have a debate! It's pretty fun, I've gotta admit. Nothing's personal, I promise, just discussing points. :p

Also, if Sakurai gives us Ridley, I'll absolutely play as him a lot because it'd only feel fitting after, as many have described, "fighting the good fight".

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
R is real 2401. (It's a joke. Hope people know the parody reference). Ridley is real 2014... hype is getting bigger.

Last edited:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. The worst thing is that nearly all of them are bloody sheep, in the sense that they all blindly follow a certain notion without questioning it, or even giving it a moment of thought. Hell, it's almost as if they don't want to think about it, as if it is some sort of natural law that Ridley is too big, that questioning that law would be heresy of some sort. It's almost deliberate ignorance.
I hope you all realize that 99% of the "too big" comments are just people running with the meme / joke that Ridley is gigantic, unfathomably huge, etc, and trying to get a rise out of people who don't realize the joke.

The serious people who are truly against playable Ridley are actually very few in number. Almost all so-called "detractors" are arguing that they don't want him playable because they think the April Direct confirmed him as a Boss, and they take what they consider Sakurai's opinions to be the word of God. Some also think he's too violent and sadistic for Smash Bros, etc.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ Nietona Nietona People would be angry about anything. Fan rage should not be involved with the reasoning for a character's inclusion. Why discuss violence towards these video game developers, Nietona? They make stuff for us! Anyway, Mr. Sakurai is not required to state everything during interviews. I think Mr. Sakurai discussed Ridley's speed because Ridley would require slowness due to unfair size. I do not compare Bowser to Ridley, due to size difference. Please answer this: how would a standing, walking Ridley fit through the small route on Hyrule Temple? And, to everyone: if Ridley was so possible, Ridley probably would have been playable in SSBB. There is something about Ridley which disrupts their playability, whatever it is. This is undeniable, so please do not imply Ridley is easily implementable in SSB.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Pointless trying to reason with @Hexaped in my honest opinion, I tried to make a post in which I think made a decent enough point, but every time someone tried to reason with him, all he does is keep bringing up the same points. Some mode that sounds completely stupid, pointless and would make no sense. The fact that Ridley can't be scaled down, and he clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Either he's a troll like a mentioned in my last post I directed at him, or he has a intravenous drip hooked up with a fresh supply of splounge-water.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Pointless trying to reason with @Hexaped in my honest opinion, I tried to make a post in which I think made a decent enough point, but every time someone tried to reason with him, all he does is keep bringing up the same points. Some mode that sounds completely stupid, pointless and would make no sense. The fact that Ridley can't be scaled down, and he clearly has no idea what he's talking about.

Either he's a troll like a mentioned in my last last post I directed at him, or he has a intravenous drip hooked up with a fresh supply of splounge-water.
For some reason Ridley seems to be a troll magnet. I don't really understand it...

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ CrypticSpark CrypticSpark Now, must I demonstrate that you are being unreasonable? I posted a unique idea that could solve problems, and now you call it stupid. Please read posts like that with an open mind.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i just can not wait for ridley's reveal so the internet is flooded with victory roars from supporters.

meanwhile, i am trying to control the unfathomable rage i have towards the detractors. :evil:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
@ Nietona Nietona People would be angry about anything. Fan rage should not be involved with the reasoning for a character's inclusion. Why discuss violence towards these video game developers, Nietona? They make stuff for us! Anyway, Mr. Sakurai is not required to state everything during interviews. I think Mr. Sakurai discussed Ridley's speed because Ridley would require slowness due to unfair size. I do not compare Bowser to Ridley, due to size difference. Please answer this: how would a standing, walking Ridley fit through the small route on Hyrule Temple? And, to everyone: if Ridley was so possible, Ridley probably would have been playable in SSBB. There is something about Ridley which disrupts their playability, whatever it is. This is undeniable, so please do not imply Ridley is easily implementable in SSB.
"looks at villager, little mac and pacman who were either cut from brawl, or put into the game as an assist trophy"

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Please answer this: how would a standing, walking Ridley fit through the small route on Hyrule Temple? And, to everyone: if Ridley was so possible, Ridley probably would have been playable in SSBB..
1. By being not too big.
2. Little Mac too. And K. Rool. And pretty much all other characters? I don't see what your point is here.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Fan rage is absolutely applicable to Ridley at this point. Four months ago, you would have been right, but after all this teasing it would just blow up right in his face. Ridley being one of the most supported characters for the west, if they were to tease him and then give him such a lackluster performance, people would not be happy. It's not so much in regards to his inclusion as it is to why making Ridley into a Ridley mode on specific stages would be such a bad idea. Hell, even if you take "fan rage" out of the equation entirely, it's a bad idea. Making a character playable on a singular stage differently to that of every other character makes no sense, and for Sakurai to do it... I can't even think of a situation where Sakurai would decide to. If Sakurai was going to do something like that, he'd just do "playable bosses", which in of itself is unlikely to happen.

And, it's more like... piss-in-letterbox violence, to quote Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation. Sakurai would be disappointing people like Sakamoto did in Other M because the idea that he didn't quite go the full stretch to make Ridley playable would be pouring lemon juice on the wounds of already boss Ridley. If you can go that fari, it ain't much to just put him in and please a lot of people. I doubt Sakurai would ignore that.

Also, if Sakurai was discussing something like that, he'd have mentioned size outright; as has been mentioned, size in this sort of game is a very bad thing and not a good thing due to your hitbox being larger; if anything, to make up for size he'd need to be made faster. Sakurai was on about how Ridley would be a hard-hitter; moves at the speed of a snail, hits like a freight train. He wasn't even thinking about size, that I can promise you.

Bowser is who I used because he's easily the largest member of the cast, and Ridley only need be a little bit bigger than him and would still be accurate and still look good. Look at this:

For the Hyrule Temple thing, that's easily countered. Look at that above image, then look at this one:

That's as good a fit as any. Besides, even with that, Roidley has a tenancy to walk on all fours rather than in a bipedal manner a la Meta/Omega Ridley.

As for him in SSBB... the same could be argued of Little Mac, could it not? Plus, all you need to do it look to see that Sakurai also debunked Villager in that interview I mentioned, as well. He didn't see Villager happening. He also didn't see Ridley happening. Villager is now playable; whatever stopped Ridley in SSBB has absolutely no bearing on any appearance he makes in SSB4. He's as easily implemented as any other character would be. He's not the exception.

Last edited:

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Considering that Sakurai said what he said about Ridley was back when he said Villager and Mii's wouldn't fit in Smash, his opinion and views have changed. Maybe now he views Ridley as a heavy character with speed comparable to Bowser's in this game. And a point also to make is scaling has never been an issue in Smash, and Sakurai himself said that sizes can be changed (Kirby, Meta Knight, DeDeDe, Ganondorf, Bowser, Olimar, and Pikachu to name a few). Another thought is that, now that they have the man power they have to make this game (Namco-Bandai), he is able to have the time and resources to finally pull Ridley off (as opposed to Brawl's small dev team and focus on SSE). There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING rendering Ridley from being unable to be in Smash. Saying size does makes you incompetent of grasping blatant facts, saying that in the nicest way possible.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Considering that Sakurai said what he said about Ridley was back when he said Villager and Mii's wouldn't fit in Smash, his opinion and views have changed. Maybe now he views Ridley as a heavy character with speed comparable to Bowser's in this game. And a point also to make is scaling has never been an issue in Smash, and Sakurai himself said that sizes can be changed (Kirby, Meta Knight, DeDeDe, Ganondorf, Bowser, Olimar, and Pikachu to name a few). Another thought is that, now that they have the man power they have to make this game (Namco-Bandai), he is able to have the time and resources to finally pull Ridley off (as opposed to Brawl's small dev team and focus on SSE). There is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING rendering Ridley from being unable to be in Smash. Saying size does makes you incompetent of grasping blatant facts, saying that in the nicest way possible.
Speaking of Bowser, it is curious that they made him less savage and monstrous this time around...

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Speaking of Bowser, it is curious that they made him less savage and monstrous this time around...
Maybe it is me, but I see him as a bit more savage now. His quick movements, his posture, facial expression, and winning animation just make him feel more of a force to be reckoned with, in my opinion. He does seem less monster-like, if that makes any sense.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The too big argument isn't even real anymore, I don't think. The characters of Smash have been resized time and time again from their own games.

I think it's just trolling now

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Maybe it is me, but I see him as a bit more savage now. His quick movements, his posture, facial expression, and winning animation just make him feel more of a force to be reckoned with, in my opinion. He does seem less monster-like, if that makes any sense.
Yeah, people like to go on about Ridley's intelligence (and he is rather smart), but his primary characteristic in Metroid is acting like a sadistic monster.

The monstrous qualities of Bowser's past would be perfect for Ridley.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
The too big argument isn't even real anymore, I don't think. The characters of Smash have been resized time and time again from their own games.

I think it's just trolling now
For the sake of their intelligence and reasoning skills, I hope so.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
I think that size is too small, Nietona. Ridley should tower over Samus.
And Ridley is the exception, Nietona. Little Mac and Villager were kept away for mental or personality reasons, posters,
not design reasons, like Ridley. Please stop stating things with such unwarranted certainty, Nietona.
Now, I think Ridley could fit in that Hyrule Temple route. Please forgive me for that, everyone. I thought it was smaller. And to everyone: please learn to express yourselves without being mean. It's
slighty funny how things cannot be stated without relying on labeling people. I suppose no one will try to change, though.
But, @ Sølid Sølid , thank you for explaining there is a larger team. This certainly helps. That is probably the strongest factor for Ridley's inclusion.
Remember, everyone: I want Ridley too.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, on one hand, promoting the Meta Ridley campaign again could seem like spam/trolling....
On the other....it is relevant to the "too big" discussion.
Guess I'll just post the gif in relevance to that.

There, perfect size, not too big, not too small, etc.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
And Ridley is the exception, Nietona. Little Mac and Villager were kept away for mental or personality reasons, posters, not design reasons, like Ridley.\.
Wait, has it been explicitly stated that Ridley was not put in for design reasons?

Hmm, on one hand, promoting the Meta Ridley campaign again could seem like spam/trolling....
On the other....it is relevant to the "too big" discussion.
Guess I'll just post the gif in relevance to that.

There, perfect size, not too big, not too small, etc.
Too long, actually.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think that size is too small, Nietona. Ridley should tower over Samus.
And Ridley is the exception, Nietona. Little Mac and Villager were kept away for mental or personality reasons, posters,
not design reasons, like Ridley. Please stop stating things with such unwarranted certainty, Nietona.
Now, I think Ridley could fit in that Hyrule Temple route. Please forgive me for that, everyone. I thought it was smaller. And to everyone: please learn to express yourselves without being mean. It's
slighty funny how things cannot be stated without relying on labeling people. I suppose no one will try to change, though.
But, @ Sølid Sølid , thank you for explaining there is a larger team. This certainly helps. That is probably the strongest factor for Ridley's inclusion.
Remember, everyone: I want Ridley too.
Sakurai had no problems with design, otherwise he would have stated that instead of saying something about his speed, correct?

Top Bottom