• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not sure if this has been said before, but here goes nothing...

What if Sakurai was working on Ridley since Melee?

and before you say he wasn't even consdiered as playable in Brawl, I have a reason (manly because he wasn't, but I'll get to that)

Again could just be me seeing things, but as I stated, the Models for Samus and Ridley in the Melee Intro, and Samus with a Mushroom in the SSE fight seem to have more or less the same ratio. So what if Ridley was slowly being tweaked over the games since Melee? Since in Melee he only appears in a GCI Intro and in Brawl he's a Boss, but wouldn't that have given Sakurai and the rest of the team plenty of time to work out how to make all of his portions the right size, and the only thing that seems to have changed between his Melee and Brawl visual appearance is the detail, even his wings seem more or less the same ratio.

Then we have the picture of Samus in the SSE fight, that proves Ridley scaled down with Samus to her normal height it would work, by scaling Samus up with the mushroom. But for the fight with Ridley in SSE I remember @Phaazoid (I think) compared it to Dyna Blade, and since I haven't fought against dyna blade in a kirby games, I went and watch a video (which I now can't unsee, thanks). Granted not all the moves would translate over to a playable version of the Ridley, but things like the tail jab and ground pound moves could, plus they could base the scale off Melee and Brawl Ridley that I just went over.

So basically the main assets Sakurai would need to make Ridley are already there, if he was ever intended to be a playable character or not. Maybe they were slowly working on Ridley but they didn't have the time, which could explain why he's in the Melee Intro, same with Brawl but they just used his model (and some possible intended moves) to make a boss instead. Though the main issue I see if making a move set that would work in Smash, along with a movement system that fits Ridley him, like not making him broke or move awkwardly, which I think hovering would do, his tails closer to the ground than I initially thought, so hovering is a possible choice. And he has to have moves that fit is character, without being too similar to other character move from Smash.

Another thing to point out which never made much sense to begin with, the people who claim that Samus should be the only Metroid rep because Metroid games are meant to be about isolation, why is Ridley with her in the Melee Intro?
I think its a plausible theory that Sakurai has been trying to get Ridley working since Melee, and has had to be cut each time. In Brawl's case, they had the models done already, and he has most of the similar animations. When they couldn't get Ridley working as playable, they decided to make him a Dynablade clone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think Sakurai might not have known about Ridley's fans wanting him to be playable, or that he has too much difficulty making a balanced set, because in an interview, he stated Ridley seemed impossible unless they tried hard enough, and mentioned speed instead of model issues or anything, and Shadley(Ridley's shadow) moves pretty slow...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Not sure if this has been said before, but here goes nothing...

What if Sakurai was working on Ridley since Melee?

and before you say he wasn't even consdiered as playable in Brawl, I have a reason (manly because he wasn't, but I'll get to that)

Again could just be me seeing things, but as I stated, the Models for Samus and Ridley in the Melee Intro, and Samus with a Mushroom in the SSE fight seem to have more or less the same ratio. So what if Ridley was slowly being tweaked over the games since Melee? Since in Melee he only appears in a GCI Intro and in Brawl he's a Boss, but wouldn't that have given Sakurai and the rest of the team plenty of time to work out how to make all of his portions the right size, and the only thing that seems to have changed between his Melee and Brawl visual appearance is the detail, even his wings seem more or less the same ratio (to the rest of his body).

Then we have the picture of Samus in the SSE fight, that proves Ridley scaled down with Samus to her normal height it would work, by scaling Samus up with the mushroom. But for the fight with Ridley in SSE I remember @Phaazoid (I think) compared it to Dyna Blade, and since I haven't fought against dyna blade in a kirby games, I went and watch a video (which I now can't unsee, thanks). Granted not all the moves would translate over to a playable version of the Ridley, but things like the tail jab and ground pound moves could, plus they could base the scale off Melee and Brawl Ridley that I just went over.

So basically the main assets Sakurai would need to make Ridley are already there, if he was ever intended to be a playable character or not. Maybe they were slowly working on Ridley but they didn't have the time, which could explain why he's in the Melee Intro, same with Brawl but they just used his model (and some possible intended moves) to make a boss instead. Though the main issue I see if making a move set that would work in Smash, along with a movement system that fits Ridley him, like not making him broke or move awkwardly, which I think hovering would do, his tails closer to the ground than I initially thought, so hovering is a possible choice. And he has to have moves that fit is character, without being too similar to other character move from Smash.

Another thing to point out which never made much sense to begin with, the people who claim that Samus should be the only Metroid rep because Metroid games are meant to be about isolation, why is Ridley with her in the Melee Intro?
Well, I definitely was not the first to refer to Ridley as Dyna Blade, but I have done it, as many others on this thread have. I'm sure you understand why after watching the video. It's a very apt comparison.

well, onto your conspiracy theory -

We have info on quite a few characters that were planned/attempted to be put into Melee - pretty sure Ridley's name never pops up on that list. I think he was just there for the trailer there, although it is a great model, imo.

Fast forward to post brawl, in an interview, Sakurai stated that he hadn't really thought about making Ridley playable. He says it is impossible, but that if he put his team up to it, it could be done. He continues to say Ridley would probably be a slow character, though. Take note, this is one of the very few instances where Sakurai commented on a non playable character. That quote is often misused, taking only the impossible part from it, to make it seem like Sakurai doesn't want Ridley.

Also remember in Brawl, Sakurai considered both Mii's and Villager, but decided against it, as they wouldn't fit, in his opinion.

Well, Sakurai has changed his mind in a few areas, as we know. While I don't subscribe to your theory, I do think that characters that Sakurai thought about in Brawl have good chances now (Little Mac was an AT, Villager/Mii were considered, Palutena was a major character in a game he made after, Megaman was highly requested for Brawl)

So there is definitely reason to be hopeful.

D

Deleted member

So since Robin has a mechanic that is unique to her and is the first time such a mechanic has been in Smash (for any character), I get the feeling that Sakurai is more willing now to implement new/unique mechanics into the movesets of other newcomers such as Ridley.

So since Ridley seems to grab Pikachu in the shadow footage, maybe he will be the first character in the Smash series to have an air-grab mechanic unique to him (assuming that was playable Ridley we saw)?

Probably been discussed already ^, but just a thought...

Last edited by a moderator:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
So since Robin has a mechanic that is unique to her and is the first time such a mechanic has been in Smash (for any character), I get the feeling that Sakurai is more willing now to implement new/unique mechanics into the movesets of other newcomers such as Ridley.

So since Ridley seems to grab Pikachu in the shadow footage, maybe he will be the first character in the Smash series to have an air-grab mechanic unique to him (assuming that was playable Ridley we saw)?

Don't Some Characters already have an air grab? Link, Samus, Lucas, Ganondorf.........I'm pretty sure they do, anyways.

On that Note, Ridley will probably also have air smashes. We all in agreement on that?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So since Robin

has a mechanic that is unique to her and is the first time such a mechanic has been in Smash (for any character), I get the feeling that Sakurai is more willing now to implement new/unique mechanics into the movesets of other newcomers such as Ridley.

So since Ridley seems to grab Pikachu in the shadow footage, maybe he will be the first character in the Smash series to have an air-grab mechanic unique to him?

We've gotten almost a fully unique mechanic with each newcomer so far.

Little Mac : KO bar
Villager : That tree is pretty unique.
MegaMan : Projectile smash attacks? Running and shooting? unique.
Palutena : those ****ing hitboxes/12 different special moves.
Pac-Man : Fruit roulette is unique-ish
Robin : Aerial smashes, life sapping, more damage to back-facing enemy
Lucina : NOTHING :p (She can actually toggle her mask with a taunt, that's unique)
Rosalina : Luma
Mii Fighters : Different attributes and hitboxes based off of height and weight/12 specials each
Greninja : Chargeable teleport (not that unique admittedly but still worth mentioning)
Wii-Fit : Self healing/Charging a move to make another move more powerful (deep breathing/sun salutation)

So there is definitely solid evidence to back your statement.

Don't Some Characters already have an air grab? Link, Samus, Lucas, Ganondorf.........I'm pretty sure they do, anyways.
Falcon and Ganon have air grapples as their up specials.

tether characters (samus/zss/link) can throw out their grapple as a weapon in the air, but it doesn't grab, it damages.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On that Note, Ridley will probably also have air smashes. We all in agreement on that?
Mid air tethers aren't actually grabs though, they only deal damage to characters in range, they only "grab" the sides of the stage.

I didn't mean something akin to Ganondorf's Flame Choke/Bowser's Flying Slam with just a scripted dive after contact (or Falcon's/Ganon's U-B), I meant Ridley could literally grab a player in the air, and while hovering throw them in any of the four directions, carry them off, pummel them, etc...

This being a mechanic/ability unique to him; I was considering the idea since Robin has her own unique mechanic of:
a) Having the first move in Smash that deals damage and heals the player simultaneously (not just dealing damage in a special circumstance like Ness/Lucas's D-B) (not counting P:M Ivysaur, only counting Nintendo made Smash games such as Melee, Brawl, Smash 64)
b) Having the first move that deals more damage to an opponent that has their back turned.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I see the playable boss mode thing, I usually go for the ridic idea argument, lol. It just sounds fake.

I know a few rumors started around it, but notice they only started being taken seriously when Gematsu died.

I'm not saying it's impossible that one of the Wii U's special standalone features is playable bosses. In fact, it's kind of a decent idea, and if it weren't for the fact that it might cut out characters that I like, I might be behind it.

But I honestly think it's just another bs rumor mill trying to fill the hole gematsu left. There's been absolutely nothing solid to back it so far, and we've already had not only an explanation from Sakurai how bosses work, but we've fought yellow devil at Best Buy.

So while you're certainly right, there's nothing saying it can't happen, I am a doubter of that specific turn of events.
I hope you're right that's it's just the latest bandwagon post-Gematsu, with all the leakers (Garfield64, etc) jumping onto it.

The terribleness of a potentially Playable Yellow Devil works against it in another way, too, now that I think about it: would Sakurai want to disappoint people by only making some of the bosses playable? Even though most of us realize playable Yellow Devil is stupid, some players might still expect ALL Boss Hazards to be controllable with the Wii U Game Pad. Hence Sakurai would likely go all-or-nothing in regards to playable bosses.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Mid air tethers aren't actually grabs though, they only deal damage to characters in range, they only "grab" the sides of the stage.

I didn't mean something akin to Ganondorf's Flame Choke/Bowser's Flying Slam with just a scripted dive after contact (or Falcon's/Ganon's U-B), I meant Ridley could literally grab a player in the air, and while hovering throw them in any of the four directions, carry them off, pummel them, etc...

This being a mechanic/ability unique to him; I was considering the idea since Robin has her own unique mechanic of:
a) Having the first healing move in Smash (not counting P:M Ivysaur, only counting Nintendo made Smash games such as Melee, Brawl, Smash 64)
b) Having the first move that deals more damage to an opponent that has their back turned.
Huh. thought for sure you could grab with those moves in the air.......maybe in SSB4 you can do tether grabs in the air? it's possible....

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

a) Having the first healing move in Smash (not counting P:M Ivysaur, only counting Nintendo made Smash games such as Melee, Brawl, Smash 64)
The healing was technically introduced with Ness, weird that Sakurai could forget about it. Lucas can even damage enemies with the move. But yeah, nothing else works like Nosferatu.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
How would it not be a gimmick? It is a function that would use the gamepad exclusively and would be exclusive to the Wii U version, and would supposedly be hyped up. It is the definition of a gamepad gimmick. Which is a thing Sakurai explicitly said he wouldn't do, implying the gamepad isn't going to actually do anything particularly special in the Wii U version.

The fact that it keeps getting wormed into rumors like DLC despite the only information we have on either matter is Sakurai explicitly saying "No" is kind of just... :\ I don't know if I can articulate the relevant gross noises.

EDIT: Obligatory sarcastic "We don't know if Sakurai really has a cat because we don't know what he considers to be a cat".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Every character has something unique, the only exception being copy paste clones, and Lucina seems to be able to toggle her mask on or off at will, it's something, right? So I question people thinking that Air grabs are too much to ask for, considering most people think of other 'unique' things without remembering balancing exists

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Huh. thought for sure you could grab with those moves in the air.......maybe in SSB4 you can do tether grabs in the air? it's possible....
Nope, this was never possible in any smash game, or project M. Not sure what you're mixing it up with.

I hope you're right that's it's just the latest bandwagon post-Gematsu, with all the leakers (Garfield64, etc) jumping onto it.

The terribleness of a potentially Playable Yellow Devil works against it in another way, too, now that I think about it: would Sakurai want to disappoint people by only making some of the bosses playable? Even though most of us realize playable Yellow Devil is stupid, some players might still expect ALL Boss Hazards to be controllable with the Wii U Game Pad. Hence Sakurai would likely go all-or-nothing in regards to playable bosses.
Well, of that first part, I promise you I'm right, I'm 100% sure of it.

However, it doesn't mean it still won't happen. The leakers tend to jump on the train of ideas that have slight plausibility and have at least some controversy. Assuming Gematsu was completely made up, the plausibility would have been Chrom/Palutena (before they were announced, by many they were considered obvious choices), the controversy would've been chorus men/Lucas cut.

Which is ironic, because for me, the biggest reason I didn't believe Gematsu was character DLC.

These new leaks are just piggybacking off of the semi-reasonable idea of gimmick playable bosses, which also happens to be controversial because it deconfirms everyone's favorite villains, Ridley/K.Rool.

tl;dr - I promise you the leaks are fake, doesn't mean the thing they are 'leaking' couldn't happen in some shape or form.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
How would it not be a gimmick? It is a function that would use the gamepad exclusively and would be exclusive to the Wii U version, and would supposedly be hyped up. It is the definition of a gamepad gimmick. Which is a thing Sakurai explicitly said he wouldn't do, implying the gamepad isn't going to actually do anything particularly special in the Wii U version.

The fact that it keeps getting wormed into rumors like DLC despite the only information we have on either matter is Sakurai explicitly saying "No" is kind of just... :\ I don't know if I can articulate the relevant gross noises.

EDIT: Obligatory sarcastic "We don't know if Sakurai really has a cat because we don't know what he considers to be a cat".
Under your definition, though, most of the games in Nintendoland are gimmicks, as are the mechanics for the new Star Fox game, since they require the Game Pad, are Wii U-only games, are hyped by Nintendo, etc.

In any event, I dislike the idea of Playable Bosses that are wonky and lazily implemented, which is what most people imagine when they think about the playable boss idea.

And I'm absolutely against Sakurai making Ridley a Playable Boss.

Anything less than a fully playable character would mean that Sakurai is either completely out of touch with the Smash fan base, intentionally ignoring the #1 most wanted character post-Brawl sans MegaMan / Mewtwo, or just hates Ridley/Metroid (which given the lack of Metroid stages other than lava stuff, wouldn't surprise me).

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I just hope you get the option to disable all the hazards while playing Multiplayer (i like the bosses and all, but i find them annoying, at least these type of hazards, but i actually enjoyed the pokemon hazard in Brawl -Palkia and the other 2 legendaries- )

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sakurai is listening to the fans, Little Mac and the resemblance to Melee can prove it, I don't think it is out of the question to think that Sakurai knows people want Ridley, seeing as how much he is requested, like Little Mac, or did Little Mac have more fans?

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's obvious he's listening to fans, which is why I don't think he's so inept as to hype up a requested character as potentially playable so aggressively and so thoroughly for so long for literally no payout other than disappointment.

I just don't feel like he can listen to fans AND make that poor of a decision deliberatelt.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
When I posted that Mr. Sakurai could create special modes with a playable Ridley, I was not thinking of "playable bosses." As far as I remember, I thought of this alone (so if this idea was influenced by me lurking some site, I do not know). Ridley would be the only character to receive this treatment, and it would not be a gimmick involving the gamepad.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
When I posted that Mr. Sakurai could create special modes with a playable Ridley, I was not thinking of "playable bosses." As far as I remember, I thought of this alone (so if this idea was influenced by me lurking some site, I do not know). Ridley would be the only character to receive this treatment, and it would not be a gimmick involving the gamepad.
Problem, why make a boss playable in an event, but only in the event? People will be dissapointed by that, not to mention the fact that we might have other Boss hazards that people also wanted playable, like Dark Pit if he isn't playable and ends up being a hazard

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I don't see playable bosses happening. It'd just add insult to injury: "Here's the character you all wanted, except inferior, not in the official roster like you requested, and can only be played on one stage. Oh, not only that, but only on one version of the game as well! Have fun!"

Even if it was implemented well, it's still a kick in the nuts because if you're willing to go so far as to implement playable bosses, you may as well take that one step further and just add the popular characters to the game roster. It'd please a lot more people. On a side note, playable bosses would be the only possibility where Ridley could be playable and detractors could spout "Too Big".

On another side note, I've fought every version of Ridley but the Nintendo Land Ridleys. Damn, they look fun as hell, though. Ice Ridley looks hard.

You mean like... have some modes where Ridley is playable (like on Pyrosphere) but not in other modes? Why would the developers not just take that one step further and make Ridley generally playable/give him a roster slot? He can then be used everywhere, and Ridley fans aren't forced into one mode. It'd be a really disappointing and outright terrible decision, and it'd require a lot of work, whereas making him playable could probably even be less work.

Also, one thing about detractors. They won't have to detract anymore if Ridley is made playable, and if he's made playable, it'll get us all to shut up and they won't have to fight anymore. Surely Ridley being playable would help everyone in that sense?

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dark Pit was kind of dealt by Sakurai when discussing Lucina, so that's not much of an issue.

And yeah, detractors act like they have real problems and Ridley should just not be playable and it'll solve their problems, but Ridley being playable literally will solve everyone's problems. People can play as a character they want to play as, detractors don't have to play as him, and nobody actually needs to argue about it anymore.

D

Deleted member

Also, one thing about detractors. They won't have to detract anymore if Ridley is made playable, and if he's made playable, it'll get us all to shut up and they won't have to fight anymore. Surely Ridley being playable would help everyone in that sense?
Whoever would've guess that a sadistic, sociopathic, heartless, calculating Space Dragon is ironically a great harbinger of peace?
When confirmed that is.

Things work out in mysterious ways sometimes....

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Dark Pit was kind of dealt by Sakurai when discussing Lucina, so that's not much of an issue.

And yeah, detractors act like they have real problems and Ridley should just not be playable and it'll solve their problems, but Ridley being playable literally will solve everyone's problems. People can play as a character they want to play as, detractors don't have to play as him, and nobody actually needs to argue about it anymore.
Agreed. It seems like mentioning Ridley to other people is like mentioning Goku, and some people think Goku has more of a chance than Ridley. If anybody is getting in, it is Ridley, and I do mean playable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is a common reason for people to support Ridley if my observation is correct, other than Ridley supporters who really want him for a ton of reasons, people who were neutral on him want him so people can finally stop arguing about him, QuarterGuy said that himself, and I was neutral, saw Alax's video, got interested, saw how hostile detractors are for dumb reasons (I always questioned the size argument, especially now that people think it is a legit excuse even though Sakurai debunked it) and thought to myself: Dis gonna be good

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
It would be easier to implement a special mode Ridley than a regular playable Ridley. Whether it is due to size or wing span or something else, Mr. Sakurai already expressed it is somewhat impossible to create a normal playable version. Special modes would emphasize Ridley, too, and could grant him the most unique moveset SSB will ever display!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It would be easier to implement a special mode Ridley than a regular playable Ridley. Whether it is due to size or wing span or something else, Mr. Sakurai already expressed it is somewhat impossible to create a normal playable version. Special modes would emphasize Ridley, too, and could grant him the most unique moveset SSB will ever display!
Sakurai mentioned Ridley being slow, so it wasn't just because of modelling, but balancing aswell. The Other M Ridley design is muscular, so it is easier to make

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
He also said that an Animal Crossing character couldn't happen due to the peacefulness of the world. That changed.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
You know what? Quote me on this.
Ridley will be in the next character reveal trailer.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
It'd all require the same process, what with Ridley being designed, damage being implemented, how to BE damaged, moveset, etc.

The only difference would be that they'd have to manufacture an entire new type of mode around it, which'd definitely prove either as long or as difficult as making regular playable Ridley would.

Size or wingspan wouldn't make it any harder to implement playable Ridley. Hell, size would probably make it easier, as they wouldn't be making him as big as he would be during boss encounters.

And... still, why not just give him that unique moveset and make him playable? Having a highly requested character as a playable boss in only one mode is like twisting the knife, because he wouldn't be truly playable. It would absolutely not be taken as a good thing from the fans, and I highly doubt Sakurai doesn't know that, especially not if he knew of Little Mac's popularity in the west.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It'd all require the same process, what with Ridley being designed, damage being implemented, how to BE damaged, moveset, etc.

The only difference would be that they'd have to manufacture an entire new type of mode around it, which'd definitely prove either as long or as difficult as making regular playable Ridley would.

Size or wingspan wouldn't make it any harder to implement playable Ridley. Hell, size would probably make it easier, as they wouldn't be making him as big as he would be during boss encounters.

And... still, why not just give him that unique moveset and make him playable? Having a highly requested character as a playable boss in only one mode is like twisting the knife, because he wouldn't be truly playable. It would absolutely not be taken as a good thing from the fans, and I highly doubt Sakurai doesn't know that, especially not if he knew of Little Mac's popularity in the west.
Agreed. Even if Ridley was slow, I would still main him. I would find a way for it to work.

Top Bottom