• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I would like it if Ridley is confirmed that this thread is immediately locked and the last post is a victory poem written by yourself.
I made one they could use ;P

Mario wears Red,
Sonic is Blue,
If you're a detractor,
Ridley will eat you.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Does anyone have an altered version of Roidleys model where hislimbs are smaller like how he appears to be in this game?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
And what he was thinking dragging it out for as long as he did.
Yeah. If Ridley isn't actually playable, I really hope Sakurai does comment on this. I really want a peek inside his. head

Unless he makes a size remark. Then I'll wish I hadn't asked lol.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, how would everyone here react if Ridley was dis-confirmed? I wish I could have the confidence that so many of you seem to possess in this thread.
Im partially entertaining the idea of Ridley being a stage hazard since the august potd, so Im not going to suffer too much. Im still gonna get frustrated and disappointed, but mostly Im not looking forward to enduring a full generation of moronic anti posts again.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Not sure what to say that hasn't been said already, but I fully support Ridley for Smash 4.

Dragomire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GoodGuyCrocomire
Untitled.png

I got bored and decided to make this. It doesn't look that great, and the head is a little too big, but I'm not good at drawing Ridley...

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
Since there's talk of deconfirmation. If that happened, what would be the fate of this thread? A push for his inclusion in DLC like the Chrom thread?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Since there's talk of deconfirmation. If that happened, what would be the fate of this thread? A push for his inclusion in DLC like the Chrom thread?
It would be as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I believe Ridley will be a regular playable character, but I've yet to see any good arguments as to why all of this teasing couldn't in fact be leading up to a Playable Boss Mode.

The arguments against a Playable Boss Mode are usually the following:

1. "It's a ridiculous idea. Srsly?"

2. "Sakurai said that he didn't want to use the Wii U Game Pad for any "gimmicks", and Playable Bosses is obviously a gimmick."

But who knows what Sakurai defines as a "gimmick"? And of course he seems to change his mind frequently, and often states his thoughts in ways that can easily be misinterpreted.

I still put the chance of regular Playable Ridley at 55%, with Playable Boss Ridley chances at 40%, and regular Boss Hazard Ridley at only 5%.

All of Sakurai's teasing is obviously not leading up to Ridley being a regular "Stage Boss" a'la the Yellow Devil, since, as so many people have pointed out, this would mean Sakurai would be really out of touch with what the fans want...and so far Sakurai has been paying close attention it seems. And the shadow's non-smooth movements could be explained by any type of playable Ridley, whether regular character or playable boss.

So, I really want to hear any additional arguments as to why a Playable Boss Mode is unlikely.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I believe Ridley will be a regular playable character, but I've yet to see any good arguments as to why all of this teasing couldn't in fact be leading up to a Playable Boss Mode.

2. "Sakurai said that he didn't want to use the Wii U Game Pad for any "gimmicks", and Playable Bosses is obviously a gimmick."

But who knows what Sakurai defines as a "gimmick"? And of course he seems to change his mind frequently, and often states his thoughts in ways that can easily be misinterpreted.

I still put the chance of regular Playable Ridley at 55%, with Playable Boss Ridley chances at 40%, and regular Boss Hazard Ridley at only 5%.

All of Sakurai's teasing is obviously not leading up to Ridley being a regular "Stage Boss" a'la the Yellow Devil, since, as so many people have pointed out, this would mean Sakurai would be really out of touch with what the fans want...and so far Sakurai has been paying close attention it seems. And the shadow's non-smooth movements could be explained by any type of playable Ridley, whether regular character or playable boss.

So, I really want to hear any additional arguments as to why a Playable Boss Mode is unlikely.
I never even thought about playable boss mode. Wow.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
I never even thought about playable boss mode. Wow.
Usually it's thought to be a Wii U exclusive mode where a fifth player takes control of a Boss using the Game Pad, fighting against the other 1 to 4 players, who may also be fighting amongst themselves. Sometimes people say it could also be a feature where during regular matches on stages with Boss Hazards, a fifth player with the Game Pad can control the Boss Hazard when it appears.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Usually it's thought to be a Wii U exclusive mode where a fifth player takes control of a Boss using the Game Pad, fighting against the other 1 to 4 players, who may also be fighting amongst themselves. Sometimes people say it could also be a feature where during regular matches on stages with Boss Hazards, a fifth player with the Game Pad can control the Boss Hazard when it appears.
I know the idea, I just never thought about it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I'm Ridley's loyal employee.....and my hostility over Roidley has lowered a bit.....but still.

-u- And the killing part....hehe....it started thanks to @The Soulless One who started pissing me off with the "Raydley" thing....
I was the one who actually started the Raydley thing...Shouldn't have mentioned that but oh well! Also, I saw something strange, the detractors aren't as cruel as they were a month ago or something

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I'm going for vacation for a week with my family after coming back from camp (ugh, I can't handle this) See Ya'll later, if a Nintendo Direct is ever announced, I'll check this thread for like 5 minutes every 3 days or so.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
You wanna know why Ridley's shadow was shown?

It's a deception. Shadows can only get bigger. And no one in their right mind would confuse a playable-sized Ridley as a boss, so Sakurai tried to make him as big and imposing as possible by only showing his shadow.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly don't think there will be DLC characters.

Seems like a very not Sakurai thing to do.

If Ridley gets deconfirmed I'll probably try to start a general metroid discussion thread/subgroup to re-gather all the cool kids here because I wouldn't want to actually come to this thread anymore.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't make sense. As an example: This gimmick would be the worst and problaby the most boring thing ever should it be real:
Controlling Yellow Devil, NO TY!

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
You wanna know why Ridley's shadow was shown?

It's a deception. Shadows can only get bigger. And no one in their right mind would confuse a playable-sized Ridley as a boss, so Sakurai tried to make him as big and imposing as possible by only showing his shadow.
Nice. Actually, BRILLIANT!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

First of all, the playable boss mode is a stupid idea that would be impossible to configure properly anyway. Second of all, Sakurai confirmed at E3 that there won't be any gimmicks with the GamePad. Sorry, not going to happen. Besides, Ridley doesn't look anything like a boss anyway.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
For anyone that talks about Ridley's chances being low, please direct yourselves to the 2nd post.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Whenever I see the playable boss mode thing, I usually go for the ridic idea argument, lol. It just sounds fake.

I know a few rumors started around it, but notice they only started being taken seriously when Gematsu died.

I'm not saying it's impossible that one of the Wii U's special standalone features is playable bosses. In fact, it's kind of a decent idea, and if it weren't for the fact that it might cut out characters that I like, I might be behind it.

But I honestly think it's just another bs rumor mill trying to fill the hole gematsu left. There's been absolutely nothing solid to back it so far, and we've already had not only an explanation from Sakurai how bosses work, but we've fought yellow devil at Best Buy.

So while you're certainly right, there's nothing saying it can't happen, I am a doubter of that specific turn of events.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So apparently Robin will have the first move in the series that both damages the opponent while simultaneously healing the user.

I think Ridley should also get such a move, only his thing is he eats someone, which OHKO's them and he heals all damage. Totally not broken whatsoever.
:awesome:

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
First of all, the playable boss mode is a stupid idea that would be impossible to configure properly anyway. Second of all, Sakurai confirmed at E3 that there won't be any gimmicks with the GamePad. Sorry, not going to happen. Besides, Ridley doesn't look anything like a boss anyway.
I addressed your second point in my post. As for your first point, could you please explain why it would be "impossible to configure properly"?

And maybe they made him a Playable Boss that's relatively small and has player-character-like movement, as the shadow indicates.

By the way, I'm against the idea of Playable Boss Ridley, but I wouldn't be opposed to other playable bosses who aren't the most requested potential Newcomer.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
So apparently Robin will have the first move in the series that both damages the opponent while simultaneously healing the user.

I think Ridley should also get such a move, only his thing is he eats someone, which OHKO's them and he heals all damage. Totally not broken whatsoever.
:awesome:
That could be his final smash/!

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't make sense. As an example: This gimmick would be the worst and problaby the most boring thing ever should it be real:
Controlling Yellow Devil, NO TY!
Given what we've seen of Yellow Devil, I doubt he'd be one of the bosses that would be controllable since he can only basically do two things; teleport and short his laser thing.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Given what we've seen of Yellow Devil, I doubt he'd be one of the bosses that would be controllable since he can only basically do two things; teleport and short his laser thing.
I doubt bosses are going to be even more or even close to being playable than the yellow devil is.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
I don't come to this thread so that I can become pessimistic, so let's try to be optimistic:

How confident are you in Ridley's chances as a playable character, and how will you react to his confirmation trailer (or leaked confirmation in the roster)?

Me? I think they're pretty dang high, despite occasional worries. It doesn't make sense for Sakurai to hype a heavily requested character in a non-playable role he's already fulfilled in one game, and there hasn't been any other instance in which he teased someone for a long time, until finally dis confirming them.

I'd also scream like a little girl at the moment he finally appears in the trailer, but not to the extent I made when Robin was confirmed last week. After that, I would heartily embrace the sweet, sweet vindication of being mocked and ridiculed for wanting my favorite Metroid character playable.
how confident?

100%... i keep looking at all the evidence over and over, and i just can NOT imagine anyone sane person who cares about his fans in the least, doing all of this just to break everyone's hearts in the end.

i imagine that is another reason sakurai is keeping ridley so secret, maybe he really is taking the most effort out of all characters to finish up?

he even stated ridley would be a kinda slow, and what we saw of his shadow's movements... he certainly looked a bit slow.

i have yet to see a single proper argument against ridley, and since we have mountains of support for him, i can only imagine sakurai doing the right thing.

i am willing to stake the very stability of my mind on this, ridley is playable.

as for how i'll react... i will let out a victory roar and then proceed to have a pizza party, or something along those lines. :grin:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Let it be known that I have posted on Page 1234! YAY.

Glad I got that outta my system. Otherwise I could've spent the day being vicious like Ridley.......

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
SO WHY DO PEOPLE SAY RIDLEY IS TOO BIG? Honestly, if King K Rool is bigger than Ridley, how did people ever come to the conclusion thar Ridley's too big without ruling out k rool? I swear, there's just something supernatural about Ridley that makes people hate him for no reason. Or maybe it'e just the splounge water.
Because nobody tried to find out K.Rool's size, until I brought it up a couple 100 pages back

Also, isn't Bowser downsized to make sure he looks as tall in the original Super Mario Bros? That makes Sakurai a genius if Ridley is all tall as he was in the original Metroid game

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I don't come to this thread so that I can become pessimistic, so let's try to be optimistic:

How confident are you in Ridley's chances as a playable character, and how will you react to his confirmation trailer (or leaked confirmation in the roster)?

Me? I think they're pretty dang high, despite occasional worries. It doesn't make sense for Sakurai to hype a heavily requested character in a non-playable role he's already fulfilled in one game, and there hasn't been any other instance in which he teased someone for a long time, until finally dis confirming them.

I'd also scream like a little girl at the moment he finally appears in the trailer, but not to the extent I made when Robin was confirmed last week. After that, I would heartily embrace the sweet, sweet vindication of being mocked and ridiculed for wanting my favorite Metroid character playable.
If I had to choose a number with 0 as not happening and 100 as confirmed in my eyes like others have, I would sit at a solid 80-90. It fluctuates, because although I do strongly believe no matter what that he has a seriously good chance to get in, there are still a few things that make me worry. The second hole in the background of Pyrosphere makes me worry, because we don't know whether it's for aesthetic effects or if it's a part of the boss. It's pretty worrying. Also, I worry that Sakurai may just think Metroid as a section is fine as it is.

But other than that, I think the evidence we have is very, very good. At the very latest, by the 10th of August we'll know for sure. If his role isn't revealed beforehand and CoroCoro doesn't reveal Ridley as a Stage Boss or dances around the idea, I'll be going into full-100% confidence mode, worries or not.

However, if Ridley IS revealed as a Stage Boss, I'll probably be completely crushed, whether I expect him or not.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Not sure if this has been said before, but here goes nothing...

What if Sakurai was working on Ridley since Melee?

and before you say he wasn't even consdiered as playable in Brawl, I have a reason (manly because he wasn't, but I'll get to that)

Also something I just noticed, is it me or is that roughly the same ratio as Samus and Ridley in the Melee Intro?

Again could just be me seeing things, but as I stated, the Models for Samus and Ridley in the Melee Intro, and Samus with a Mushroom in the SSE fight seem to have more or less the same ratio. So what if Ridley was slowly being tweaked over the games since Melee? Since in Melee he only appears in a GCI Intro and in Brawl he's a Boss, but wouldn't that have given Sakurai and the rest of the team plenty of time to work out how to make all of his portions the right size, and the only thing that seems to have changed between his Melee and Brawl visual appearance is the detail, even his wings seem more or less the same ratio (to the rest of his body).

Then we have the picture of Samus in the SSE fight, that proves Ridley scaled down with Samus to her normal height it would work, by scaling Samus up with the mushroom. But for the fight with Ridley in SSE I remember @Phaazoid (I think) compared it to Dyna Blade, and since I haven't fought against dyna blade in a kirby games, I went and watch a video (which I now can't unsee, thanks). Granted not all the moves would translate over to a playable version of the Ridley, but things like the tail jab and ground pound moves could, plus they could base the scale off Melee and Brawl Ridley that I just went over.

So basically the main assets Sakurai would need to make Ridley are already there, if he was ever intended to be a playable character or not. Maybe they were slowly working on Ridley but they didn't have the time, which could explain why he's in the Melee Intro, same with Brawl but they just used his model (and some possible intended moves) to make a boss instead. Though the main issue I see if making a move set that would work in Smash, along with a movement system that fits Ridley him, like not making him broke or move awkwardly, which I think hovering would do, his tails closer to the ground than I initially thought, so hovering is a possible choice. And he has to have moves that fit is character, without being too similar to other character move from Smash.

Another thing to point out which never made much sense to begin with, the people who claim that Samus should be the only Metroid rep because Metroid games are meant to be about isolation, why is Ridley with her in the Melee Intro?

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
so your conspiracy theory is that... ridley has been in development for 13 years, across three games.

sounds legit.

Top Bottom