• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Don't worry, the 3DS cart can hold up to 8 gigs, so after they include Ridley that should still leave a couple gigs for the rest of the game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Don't worry, the 3DS cart can hold up to 8 gigs, so after they include Ridley that should still leave a couple gigs for the rest of the game.
Yeah, Brawl is like what? 4GB I think? Taking into consideration that there's no big cutscene storymode stuff this time around, and the 3DS is safe. It really is a lot more powerful than most people around here give it credit for, just because of Sakurai's one comment about the duo characters.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Brawl is like what? 4GB I think? Taking into consideration that there's no big cutscene storymode stuff this time around, and the 3DS is safe. It really is a lot more powerful than most people around here give it credit for, just because of Sakurai's one comment about the duo characters.
It actually filled up nearly the entire space, but we have to remember several things; a big portion of the data was spent on SSE, the team were incredibly wasteful with data and that with SSE, cutscenes took up most of the SSE data. Brawl could have almost fit into a single layer disc if not for the horrible compression job done and that's with SSE and all that stuff.

Along with Namco being on board and SSE being gone, it's for these reasons why I'm not particularly concern about roster size.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I know it's pretty powerful, but regardless, it would be better to keep all saving on a separate card and have all the initial data on the cartridge itself. And now that I think about it...the roster of the Tekken 3D game for the 3DS has a total of 41 characters...and there's alot more moves that need to be implemented for each character than a character in a simplistic game like Smash Bros. You also have to add moves to string combos together, put all that data on one cartridge and that would probably take up more space than a 45 Smash Bros character roster. I also don't personally feel that the hardware limitation is by having 4 characters on the screen at the same time, it's the data of each character intertwining with each other to make a fast-paced game, which, I did notice that the 3DS game does look a little slower than the Wii U version.

And once they add the Pokemon Trainer, they'll have just enough space for Mario, Link and Pikachu. :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I almost forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure that the models being used for Super Smash Bros 4 on the 3DS take up a smaller amount of hardware than that of the models from Brawl. Not sure on that, but it is a speculation.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I almost forgot to mention that I'm pretty sure that the models being used for Super Smash Bros 4 on the 3DS take up a smaller amount of hardware than that of the models from Brawl. Not sure on that, but it is a speculation.
They look a lot less detailed, and I'm sure without the outlining they would look horrid at the same time that they'd be hard to see on the small screen. In regards to that I'm not worried, in general I'm not all that worried about the 3DS limiting the Wii U version.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
They look a lot less detailed, and I'm sure without the outlining they would look horrid at the same time that they'd be hard to see on the small screen. In regards to that I'm not worried, in general I'm not all that worried about the 3DS limiting the Wii U version.
I'm not that worried either, especially after knowing that this game was originally started as a 3DS-only title.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Make Ridley like Charizard in Brawl!

Except... More anorexic looking. :p

Metroid needs a 2nd character. Ridley is the only one who can fill that spot uniquely IMO.

Steelia

Smash Champion
The 3DS only has limitations in regards to many objects on screen at the same time and dual characters like Ice Climbers, a single model isn't a problem. Him having long limbs isn't a big problem at all, not even for the 3DS.
Awesome.

I was actually a bit dissapointed with Ridley's fight for this reason. I mean, Ridley wasn't a character, so I at least hoped his fight would be great, but except for the tail scrapper every other move belonged to Dynablade. He didn't even have his fireballs until the Meta Ridley appearance. It kind of led me to speculate if Dynablade was supposed to be in Ridley's place as a boss, not necessarily against Pikachu and Samus though, but we may never know.
Or, you know, it was Sakurai's ego. :d Seeing how the rest of SSE played out...
In any case, glad to know that other people noticed the Ridley-Dynablade similarities. Thought it was just my imagination.

On another note, could anyone imagine Ridley getting grabbed and tossed by characters like Mario? I actually find that pretty difficult to picture. Depending on which version of him they use, and what size he is, anyway. I love the way Ridley looks here.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The main problem many people discuss when saying is that the 3DS cartridges don't hold that much data. I'm not sure on the cap of what the amount of Gigabytes a 3DS cartridge can carry, if they can even hold a Gig, but if they really want to make the maximum amount of characters as they can while making a reasonably sized roster, they should actually take a page out of the Vita's book. Yes, the Vita is a terrible handheld, but what I'm regarding is that instead of having a spot on the cartridge to hold save data and take up space, all saving should be done on an SD card.

It would make sense, as you can have all the content itself on the cartridge and the save data in the SD card, but if that's not the case, imagine how much space saving all the data would take up. For my example, I say take a look at Brawl's save data on a Wii machine, your average Wii game's data is small, around 1-2 blocks. Brawl's save data takes up a whopping 48 or more blocks, which is huge. This will also be a problem for the 3DS' roster as the things that take up the most save spaces are the characters themselves and the overall trophy/sticker data in the game. However, since there's no more real story in Smash 4, Stickers may not have a purpose to come back, which saves some space. I'm still concerned though, and I know I'm not the only one who sees this.

Edit: Looking at my own WIi, I was way off. Brawl's save data takes up a whopping 128 blocks, almost 3 times as big as I first thought. This makes me worry even more.
Well im not sure how much it is but PeePz normal 3DS games hold 4GB but it can go upto 8GB question is will Sakurai use 8GB? I dont think so...

I already said that. But with his Soul Calibur 4 look, since it's much better looking in my honest opinion.
Nooo way...SC 2 Nightmare looked the best but lets not go off topic this is a Ridley thread so just quickly agree with me so Ridley discussion can move on.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
With grabs, you have to remember the characters aren't interacting with each other very much. They're given animations to CONVEY that one is grabbing, and the other being grabbed. You don't actually see characters PHYSICALLY RESTRAINING the other.

Anyway, I hope Ridley's tail flails around wildly as he's grabbed. I think he'd be very animated when grabbed. "THE MOMENT I GET OUT OF THIS I'M GOING TO KILL YOU."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the 3DS holds just as much if not more data space than Brawl, is removing subspace emissary, stickers (unless they are there for collecting, the customization could still be there as well), as well as several other additions like the Classic game demos, there will surely be plenty more space for characters and stages for Smash Bros. 4.

As far as the "no cuts so far" this is great news. Basically every character has already been added. It's just going to come down to if something concerning a character is not doable. They will be cut.

However, this makes me wonder if literally no one from the Brawl roster has been cut...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If the 3DS holds just as much if not more data space than Brawl, is removing subspace emissary, stickers (unless they are there for collecting, the customization could still be there as well), as well as several other additions like the Classic game demos, there will surely be plenty more space for characters and stages for Smash Bros. 4.

As far as the "no cuts so far" this is great news. Basically every character has already been added. It's just going to come down to if something concerning a character is not doable. They will be cut.

However, this makes me wonder if literally no one from the Brawl roster has been cut...
Am i the only one who thinks he meant so far as im developing them....?

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else notice that Ridley's head alone is larger than Samus.
Doesn't seem like it.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims

Ridley does look strange in this video, though ofcourse it is not official or anything. I'm really pulling for Ridley as a playable character. Nintendo, as well as Retro, understand how strong of a clamoring there is for a new Metroid game on the Wii U. Bowser is in smash, Ganon is in smash, K Rool will probably be in smash, and Ridley should be too. It is only right to match the famous heroes with their rivals.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Unfortunately... I dont think Ridley will be in SSB4. NOT due to size or being a boss battle. Just that if he were to join I fell like they wouldve added him already... and the fact that he was a Boss Battle 1st kinda helps me prove my point.

I want him myself, but I think the chances of getting him are about equal to getting Tabuu or something else dumb.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why does no one do his neck right?
I believe, in that particular case, it has to do with the Ridley hack using Charizard as a base. Still, quite an oversight.

I guess because his design is rather complex, it's hard for people to remember those things? I've seen some pretty bad art of him before. I think that's another reason why people have such a hard time seeing him in Smash. Weird as it sounds, they just don't really really have a grasp on what he actually looks like?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm guessing it's more of a situation where they have a plan to add every character. They may not have actually started or gotten significantly far on every character. I'm assuming he has some priorities, so those that are last on the priority list are still in danger... But only in danger, not cut yet.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
OBVIOUSLY, everyone magically transforms when they use the internet. Obviously.

Well yeah, I mean it's part of my Final Smash.

On a side note, made my sig all hyper-linky now. Tired of seeing the same arguments preached religiously, so I'll just point 'em at the first post.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Unfortunately... I dont think Ridley will be in SSB4. NOT due to size or being a boss battle. Just that if he were to join I fell like they wouldve added him already... and the fact that he was a Boss Battle 1st kinda helps me prove my point.

I want him myself, but I think the chances of getting him are about equal to getting Tabuu or something else dumb.

Charizard went from Pokeball Pokemon to playable. He was a first gen pokemon, along with squirtle and Ivysaur, and he got put in the game during the fourth gen, of all things. Don't count Ridley out yet.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Charizard went from Pokeball Pokemon to playable. He was a first gen pokemon, along with squirtle and Ivysaur, and he got put in the game during the fourth gen, of all things. Don't count Ridley out yet.
True that! I kinda forgot about that. With that knowledge maybe Ridley will get in after all. :D

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hmmmm thats a really cool point - Holy **** Ismar is s girl! Damn gotta act cool :)

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Oh, you're back huh? No one in his proper senses would reply to your point.
That's because no one here seems to have any sense.
To reiterate, I don't hate Ridley, and I'm not against his inclusion. I've only been arguing because most everyone here has abandoned all reason when trying to argue in his favor. There's only been a couple people here so far who have rationally argued why he wouldn't be included. There is a terrible imbalance in these discussions.

I really wish I could have a sane Ridley debate here on Smash Boards, a place I hold in high respects. If anyone actually wants to, feel free to contact me.
I'll drop the Ridley debate for now. For you guys, I hope he becomes a character. Either way, I promise he'll be in Smash engine we're working on.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Good job to everyone in this thread who is defending Ridley. Hopefully, next year we finally get a confirmation. Its going to be a very long wait. However, with Mega Man out of the picture, pretty much all eyes are on Ridley (as well as K. Rool and Little Mac). Ridley is truly in a league all his own that he was not in during pre-Brawl.

Top Bottom