• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Alright guys. I did it. Check the second post. I think I'm good. Drop a like if I you like it. Now we got a place to link people!

Took a lot of work so I really appreciate you guys' thanks.

All I ask in return is simple. Accept my god**** friend request @ Phaazoid Phaazoid

ANYWAY! Share this to people you think need to see it! Show your youtubers, let everyone see this, not for me, as all I did was organize it, but for all the people who contributed posts, and for Ridley.

It's the second post, so it's easy to find, but I'll drop a link anyway

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...rank-the-splounge-water.324284/#post-14609370

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0247.JPG

Just some doodle practice....as you can see...I started to feel lazy when I drew Link and Mario...mostly Mario and his silly looking expression.....and I hope to be able to draw a fight between the Assassins and the Links...and one between Mario and Ray...I was going to draw Samus in contrast of Rids...but I felt lazy....

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Many of us are at least some degree of passionate to have one of our favorite characters get into such an iconic and deserved role. Unfortunately some people get carried away in that passion, and I am sorry about that. I never find it funny when that happens.
It happened for me and it was bad because I was debating on my most wanted. Well, just make sure to not give false accusations like I did.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I'm all for another Metroid rep, but would Ridley work very well? Considering his size, (Inb4 people dismiss this with a stupid TOO BIG joke.) wouldn't it look off when he's nearly always shown to be atleast twice as big as Samus? (Disregarding the retconned NES game.) The large wingspan and his lanky structure wouldn't work very well downsized.
It's all about the execution.

Ridley would be the largest character, though he can't be notably larger than even the other large heavyweights (unless they intentionally do something like Sentinel from Marvel VS Capcom). Other than that, Ridley's bulk (i.e. his body, without accounting for wingspan) should be somewhere between 1.1-1.4 times Bowser's (or maybe even just up to 1.3).

His wingspan can make him appear considerably larger, but they're only a problem if they're a visual impairment (i.e. they block some of the view). It would also be the prerogative of the developpers to make his wings be capable of interaction or not (i.e. whether the wings have hitboxes and hurtboxes). It can be that the wings can't be interacted with at all (can't attack with them, can't be hurt by being hit in them).

If they are capable of interaction, then different variables come into play. Are they always spread out, or are they folded when on land? How many attacks implement them? And while they may confer great range on account of their size, they would also make Ridley a bigger target, so it would balance out (unless the wings have larger hitboxes than hurtboxes, or no hurtboxes at all).

As for the structure of his actual body, it's obviously desirably to not have him be disjointed or disproportional to the point where it's visually or mechanically awkward (or clumsy, or broken, etc.). I would certainly hope that the development team find a suitable compromise, or balance, when it comes to these elements of his design.

Lastly, it is the consensus among Ridley supporters that Ridley would be a very aerial-based character; he'd be slow, lumbering, and awkward on the ground, but would be a terror in the skies (i.e. the conceptual antithesis to Little Mac). This could confer an imbalanced advantage, since a strong aerial game is advantageous in a game like Smash where the goal is to knock opponents off the stage and keep them off.

However, as we've seen in Smash 4's Newcomer Design philosophy thus far, there are weaknesses to balance out strengths. Ridley being a large target would be one of them, certainly, as it makes him easier to hit. Another could be deceptive weight; while large, he could be lighter than he seems (in the vein of Rosalina and Mewtwo), since a large aerial-heavy character will need to be light enough if they're to be effective in an airborne capacity to begin with.

So Ridley would be strong and have a good air game, possibly among the best; on the other hand, he would be almost useless on the ground, and if he's a big target, and is relatively light, then it would be easy for opponents to rack up damage and send him flying (lololololol). And they could implement a more involved risk-reward system, where Ridley has mandatory cooldown periods during which, after so many times in the air, he has to remain on land before he can take to the skies again.

Point being that Ridley has attributes that may represent an gameplay archetype not yet seen in Smash, and thus possesses a lot of untapped potential as a Smash candidate.

It goes without saying that I'm a Smash scrub, and may not be qualified to discuss technical gameplay mechanics beyond the merely conceptual (as I've done here); there's also no guarantee that the Smash team would see things this way at all, or may perhaps see a different potential in Playable Ridley.

I do think, however, that the above constitutes what most in this thread would consider an ideal playable Ridley in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Who's been distributing the water? We seem to have a large concentration of detractors suddenly
Gematsu died and with it people are suddenly realizing we have a real chance of being a playable slot.

Some people just don't like to see other people happy.

Those people are assholes.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
By the way, Nintendo was obligated to quickly clarify Chrom's non-playability in order to avoid false advertisement as he was openly depicted in the recent trailer. Ridley has yet to be openly depicted or even mentioned by name.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Gematsu died and with it people are suddenly realizing we have a real chance of being a playable slot.

Some people just don't like to see other people happy.

Those people are *******s.
Here's the thing though: Gematsu isn't dead, just outdated.

Sakurai made a statement in Famitsu about how Chrom was originally planned, but then picked Robin. So Gematsu is correct if we're looking at it through the context of when this guy got the info. So it's still relevant to an extent. At least in the case of Shulk and Chorus Men.

Not that this necessarily effects Ridley, but I just thought I'd drop in to correct you :awesome:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Sakurai made a statement in Famitsu about how Chrom was originally planned, but then picked Robin.
Are you referring to the recent translations that came out?

I know that apparently, Lucina was going to be a Marth alt, but she was promoted to playable status when she ended up displaying notable design differences. Did that same article also cover the notion that Chrom was going to be playable, but has since been repurposed as Robin's FS?

And if so, could you provide a link or source? I haven't come across this info yet.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found this thread explaining things. 8D

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Are you referring to the recent translations that came out?

I know that apparently, Lucina was going to be a Marth alt, but she was promoted to playable status when she ended up displaying notable design differences. Did that same article also cover the notion that Chrom was going to be playable, but has since been repurposed as Robin's FS?

And if so, could you provide a link or source? I haven't come across this info yet.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found this thread explaining things. 8D
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121384840

I see that you already got it but I'm going to post it anyway. Because I'm awesome like that. But yeah. Gematsu LIVES.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Alright guys. I did it. Check the second post. I think I'm good. Drop a like if I you like it. Now we got a place to link people!

All I ask in return is simple. Accept my god**** friend request @ Phaazoid Phaazoid

ANYWAY! Share this to people you think need to see it! Show your youtubers, let everyone see this, not for me, as all I did was organize it, but for all the people who contributed posts, and for Ridley.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...rank-the-splounge-water.324284/#post-14609370
Just checked and I wonder, did you have issues with quotes tags?

Most of the time, if I gave a link for source, I put the relevant part in quote tags so that the reader doesn't have to read the whole article. The links are there but the quotes aren't. I feel it might be a problem as the essay itself is very long, I don't think that removing quoting the relevant part will improve reader's experience.

So, can you add the quotes tags back? (at least put them in quotations mark).

Also, I don't know why and it's only aestetic but the list arrangement with bullets got a little screwed up. I don't know why.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unless Chorus kids are suddenly announced I'm not going to put any faith in Gametsu

As far as I'm concerned, Villagers and Wii Fit Trainer were the only ones that really count

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
God, the Gematsu leak stays dead for about as long as Ridley does. I imagine if, say, the Chorus Kids were disconfirmed, the leak would still be considered to be real?
Tbf, even if it ends up being real for the two other characters, we're now sure that it doesn't mean it's all the characters we will get.
We got Rosalina, Robin and Lucina.
However... What if Robin is the only exception ? Maybe those eleven characters Gematsu gave us are the first choices Sakurai made (Roslaina was not mentioned maybe because she was already revealed with the second leak ?) and after a while Sakurai decided to make changes... The same way he chose Robin over Chrom, and Lucina not being an alt in the end.
And maybe some of those changes include adding characters to the roster ? You know, like maybe eleven characters he was sure to put in, and the others coming later, thus not killing any other character's chances.

If the Chorus Kids were disconfirmed, as long as there is a RH representative, we can't say it's "dead" 100%. Instead we should say that there will be a specific representative from each franchise the characters come from.
No way it means no other characters may join guys.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

I see that you already got it but I'm going to post it anyway. Because I'm awesome like that. But yeah. Gematsu LIVES.
I think people took the whole "Gematsu's toast" thing a bit overboard. It just means that Chrom was deconfirmed and all the leaks like it that said "THESE ARE THE ONLY NEWCOMERS KTHXBAI" are not accurate. It DOES NOT mean that the other characters on them automatically have a 0% chance at playable. It merely knocks their chances from 90-95% to about 85-90%. Like he says, Chrom was heavily considered until they realized he was going to be another ordinary swordsman (which is also why Robin says that in the trailer, which is a shot to Chrom supporters but then again, at least Sakurai didn't leave them hanging >_>). I shudder to think what was posted on the Chorus Men's support thread after that video, and possibly even Shulk's. I would NEVER say "Ha ha your character has no chance now" because that's mean and like I previously stated, we were victims of the same bullying and harassment (no I'm not accusing anyone here). Point is, don't assume it's totally thrown out the window now, but don't limit yourself to thinking the characters on that will be the only ones that are in as newcomers for Smash 4.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I'm trying to figure out what in that article indicates the Gematsu leak is still alive. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't keep the leak alive, it BRUTALLY MURDERS it.

It states that Chrom was briefly considered, but quickly passed over. It never says anywhere that Chrom was put into development but canceled later. CHROM WAS NEVER ON THE FINAL ROSTER.

Now, there is a possible explanation for the leaker ****ing up with Chrom, but its not easy. Either somehow Sakurai wrote down a list of characters and it was stolen, or he threw it away and it was taken from the trash. The last possibility is for some reason in casual conversation, someone brought up with the leaker that the main character from Fire Emblem: Awakening was playable, the guy assumed Chrom.

Neither are easy things at all to do. Who would make a remark like "Main character from Fire Emblem: Awakening" instead of the character's name? Or if they didn't decide to use Robin's default name at that point, they would've just said "My Unit", making it very clear who it was; aka, not Chrom. And the article confirms Chrom was never on the final roster, he was never put into development, and he wasn't cut. He just wasn't there, period.

That's a pretty big thing to **** up on. What's more logical, somehow he screwed up this statement, or he got the first batch of information, leaked it, got fired, and bull****ted the rest? You be the judge.

I think people took the whole "Gematsu's toast" thing a bit overboard. It just means that Chrom was deconfirmed and all the leaks like it that said "THESE ARE THE ONLY NEWCOMERS KTHXBAI" are not accurate. It DOES NOT mean that the other characters on them automatically have a 0% chance at playable. It merely knocks their chances from 90-95% to about 85-90%. Like he says, Chrom was heavily considered until they realized he was going to be another ordinary swordsman (which is also why Robin says that in the trailer, which is a shot to Chrom supporters but then again, at least Sakurai didn't leave them hanging >_>). I shudder to think what was posted on the Chorus Men's support thread after that video, and possibly even Shulk's. I would NEVER say "Ha ha your character has no chance now" because that's mean and like I previously stated, we were victims of the same bullying and harassment (no I'm not accusing anyone here). Point is, don't assume it's totally thrown out the window now, but don't limit yourself to thinking the characters on that will be the only ones that are in as newcomers for Smash 4.
No, it doesn't mean the other characters on the leak have a 0% chance of being playable, in fact, Shulk is still quite likely. Chorus Men is highly unlikely, though, because Chorus Men is such an obscure character from Rhythm Heaven. A more prominent character would be a better pick probably.

Either way, no one is going to rant that XYZ character isn't going to be playable, the main thing here is that we are free to speculate on anyone again.

Oh, and it doesn't say Chrom was "heavily" considered. It just says Chrom was considered, but he took one look at Chrom, took one look at Robin, and immediately realized who the better one was.

Either way, all this means for Ridley is he's even more likely now that Gematsu is dead (yes, it is dead, sorry, Chrom proves that its inaccurate and can't be used for speculation), and Ridley has been heavily teased and hinted at for so long without showing much at all and he's extremely small. He's playable, for sure, no doubt about it. His unique feature is the ability to hover for a long period of time.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I'm trying to figure out what in that article indicates the Gematsu leak is still alive. As far as I'm consider, it doesn't keep the leak alive, it BRUTALLY MURDERS it.

It states that Chrom was briefly considered, but quickly passed over. It never says anywhere that Chrom was put into development but canceled later. CHROM WAS NEVER ON THE FINAL ROSTER.
I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
He considered to put Chrom into the game, but never said for how long he considered it, so you can't say for sure he was briefly considered.
While it never says Chrom was put in development, it never says the contrary.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He considered to put Chrom into the game, but never said for how long he considered it, so you can't say for sure he was briefly considered.
While it never says Chrom was put in development, it never says the contrary.
Sakurai confirmed the roster was finalized before development began at E3. Yes, some characters could get cut, and Lucina was added later. But before development started, it was Robin vs. Chrom, and he chose Robin, end of story. It didn't say they tried putting Chrom into development, and it didn't say they tried doing both, it said he picked Robin. If you think Chrom may have started development, you're reading your own ideas into it, it was never said at all.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Sakurai confirmed the roster was finalized before development began at E3. Yes, some characters could get cut, and Lucina was added later. But before development started, it was Robin vs. Chrom, and he chose Robin, end of story. It didn't say they tried putting Chrom into development, and it didn't say they tried doing both, it said he picked Robin. If you think Chrom may have started development, you're reading your own ideas into it, it was never said at all.
I never thought he started developing Chrom, though. However it's possible the leaker got his hands on characters who could be put in the game (with eleven names) and thought they all would be in. For example, he couldn't have known the name of Greninja at the time ; it was not official at the time. So I definitely think he got his informations in 2012 when the roster was being made. Sakurai started with Chrom, "leaker" saw the list of characters (with Pokemon X/Y and Chrom), went for it, then Sakurai made changes a few days later, making the finalized roster, which had Rosalina, Lucina, and Robin added (maybe even more) and Chrom suppressed.
Saying he has just lucky guesses when he had Animal Crossing guy and Wii Fit Trainer seems a bit odd. Accurate at 100% ? No. But an idea of how was the roster at the beginning ? Probably.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I never thought he started developing Chrom, though. However it's possible the leaker got his hands on characters who could be put in the game (with eleven names) and thought they all would be in. For example, he couldn't have known the name of Greninja at the time ; it was not official at the time. So I definitely think he got his informations in 2012 when the roster was being made. Sakurai started with Chrom, "leaker" saw the list of characters (with Pokemon X/Y and Chrom), went for it, then Sakurai made changes a few days later, making the finalized roster, which had Rosalina, Lucina, and Robin added (maybe even more) and Chrom suppressed.
Saying he has just lucky guesses when he had Animal Crossing guy and Wii Fit Trainer seems a bit odd. Accurate at 100% ? No. But an idea of how was the roster at the beginning ? Probably.
Where did I say the entire thing was lucky guesses? I said the SECOND half. The first half was accurate, the second has NO legitimacy to it whatsoever. What probably happened is the guy got his hands on a few characters to be announced, leaked them, got fired, then tried to get more attention so he BS'd the rest. That's the most LOGICAL explanation. There are other explanations, but there are huge problems with them.

How could he have gotten this hypothetical list of characters anyway? Sakurai tends to decide these things himself. The only way anything got leaked is after the roster was finalized, unless, of course, Sakurai wrote down a list of characters to look at and someone stole it or something, which isn't a very likely scenario at all.

And what does this have to do with Ridley? If anything it helps Ridley.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Hello everyone! Thanks to @ IsmaR IsmaR I have been given the second post here on this Ridley Support Page! What I plan to do here is compile some of the best posts/videos by forum-goers on this thread over the past few months. A couple of disclaimers first of all
  • This is all Post Smash Direct evidence. This means after Ridley's shadow was shown in the April direct
  • This post is not meant to prove to you that Ridley is for sure playable, it is instead here to inform you on evidence you may not have know otherwise due to most media sites not reporting such evidence. If you came here spouting "Ridley is too big idiots", chances are, we sent you here.
  • The reason I felt called to create this post is for a couple reasons.
    1. I was once someone who didn't care for Ridley's inclusion. I am a Metroid fan, as well as a Ridley fan, but I never really cared, I still don't care too much about Ridley's inclusion, though I am certainly more wanting of his playability now that I have been on this thread for a few months now.
    2. I was convinced that Ridley at least has a better chance than not due to most of the posts that I will be showing below. I also assumed Ridley was deconfirmed after the shadow was showed, but then was turned in the complete opposite direction due to the analyst in this thread
    3. There began to be spam in the thread by Ridley detractors calling us stupid for believing he still has a chance. It would either in up in a flame war, or it would end up unneeded spam of past "great posts". We needed a mega-thread for these posts and I took it upon myself to create one.

GENERAL EVIDENCE:
Alright, below you will see General Evidence relating to Ridley's playability in Smash Bros. 4. This includes anything from Essay's, to general thinking logic on how we should look at Sakurai's teasing.

• The @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 essay is a great example of someone not biased towards Ridley looking at the evidence that has been presented and drawing his own inclusions from it. Overall a great read.

• DDD Post. Not much to say, overall great post by @ D ddd87

• Great Post by @majora_787 on why it makes 0 sense for Sakurai to be hyping Ridley as a stage hazard

• Post by @Zem-raj on how Sakurai will usually outright dec-confirm characters, instead of being vague, which happens to be what he is doing with Ridley

SHADOW EVIDENCE:

Coming out of general evidence, you may already be thinking differently than you were before. But if you're not, maybe this will convince you, it is actually what convinced me. What you are about to see is Shadow Analysis'. Yep. The exact shadow that people are saying deconfirmed him as a stage boss? Turns out, it actually works out in favor of supporters more than detractors. Have a look for yourself.

• First up we have @Smashoperatingbuddy123 and his two phenomenal posts analyzing Ridley's shadow. In fact, this was the first post that began to turn me from "He's not in" to "He has a more for him than against him"
Head comparison:

Body Comparions:

Unfortunately, Smashboards is being EXTREMELY glitchy right here, so until a mod can do this themselves, or Smashboards gets a fix, I will have to link you to the exact post here, just look under the tab "Body Comparisons"

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-splounge-water.324284/page-637#post-16728288

• Next up,we have the excellent Shadow Analysis by @Dalek_Kolt

MISCELLANEOUS EVIDENCE/THEORIES:

Next up is, well, the rest of it! These are extra theories that don't belong in the general section but are great theories that show how Sakurai is potentially teasing Ridley!

• First we got @Nietona with a great post summarizing the Trophy Theory. I actually specifically asked them to create this, so special thanks to them!

• Though I don't usually like theories with a deadline, I wanted to include this one. @BlueBubbee compiled a list of Metroid anniversary's in the month of August, this potentially could be the time for a reveal, though I would not be surprised if Ridley was secret till launch

• One more thing

And thus concludes the post! I may update it with some more posts along the way, but considering we're so close to launch, I may leave it as is and fix a few glitches.

Again, this post isn't to make you change your stance on Ridley, it is to shut up the "toobigots" and to prove that Ridley has more of a fighting chance than almost any other character in the running. Thank you for viewing my post. If you learned something, drop a like!
Very nice, I congratulate you sir.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Why do so many try to bring Gematsu back to live I don't understand? It's not even as if Chrom is his first **** up. He also said 6 newcomers at E3. Not to mention his cocky self-assured ''Enjoy my good friend Shulk" before the FE reveals.

It's dead. It was obviously Robin vs Chrom. They picked Robin. And the trailer is an in-joke for them to this.

He didn't have outdated information. He had some information and he filled in the rest with obvious choices and one of those obvious choices bit him in the ass@Chrom.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Where did I say the entire thing was lucky guesses? I said the SECOND half. The first half was accurate, the second has NO legitimacy to it whatsoever. What probably happened is the guy got his hands on a few characters to be announced, leaked them, got fired, then tried to get more attention so he BS'd the rest. That's the most LOGICAL explanation. There are other explanations, but there are huge problems with them.

How could he have gotten this hypothetical list of characters anyway? Sakurai tends to decide these things himself. The only way anything got leaked is after the roster was finalized, unless, of course, Sakurai wrote down a list of characters to look at and someone stole it or something, which isn't a very likely scenario at all.

And what does this have to do with Ridley? If anything it helps Ridley.
Actually there are only two people who know the roster at the beginning ; Sakurai and one of his assistant. If we knew how he got his information we wouldn't be speculating over it. And while I have doubt for Chorus Men (the leak is at least outdated for me), I still think Shulk is in and RH will have a character. But now I really don't think this "leaker" will give us more informations. For me, it just means we will get Shulk and a RH character.
And I also think it helps Ridley, I don't see the problem here ?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why do so many try to bring Gematsu back to live I don't understand? It's not even as if Chrom is his first **** up. He also said 6 newcomers at E3. Not to mention his cocky self-assured ''Enjoy my good friend Shulk" before the FE reveals.

It's dead. It was obviously Robin vs Chrom. They picked Robin. And the trailer is an in-joke for them to this.

He didn't have outdated information. He had some information and he filled in the rest with obvious choices and one of those obvious choices bit him in the ***@Chrom.
Exactly. Before that article, I thought it was possible he had outdated information for the second half, but its clear he didn't. Somehow the guy got information about Mii Fighter; my guess is that he works with E3. Its possible he did make up Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii, but its just as likely he knew them and BS'd the second half of the leak.

As for Shulk, I chalk it up to the fact that EVERYONE thought we were getting Shulk. But the smug attitude implied he knew. Which basically means he knew just as much as everyone else; nothing, except that Sakurai wanted to make everyone think it was Shulk.

Actually there are only two people who know the roster at the beginning ; Sakurai and one of his assistant. If we knew how he got his information we wouldn't be speculating over it. And while I have doubt for Chorus Men (the leak is at least outdated for me), I still think Shulk is in and RH will have a character. But now I really don't think this "leaker" will give us more informations. For me, it just means we will get Shulk and a RH character.
And I also think it helps Ridley, I don't see the problem here ?
RH character is likely not because of the leak, but because of E3. Then again, they might've just wanted to represent Rhythm Heaven so they threw the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run (and perhaps to make people believe the leak had credibility before shattering it with Robin's reveal). For all we know we'll just get an RH stage and that's why they didn't care about Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run.

Either way, I love the second post, @ IsmaR IsmaR !

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

He didn't have outdated information. He had some information and he filled in the rest with obvious choices and one of those obvious choices bit him in the ***@Chrom.

Hello everyone! Thanks to @ IsmaR IsmaR I have been given the second post here on this Ridley Support Page! What I plan to do here is compile some of the best posts/videos by forum-goers on this thread over the past few months. A couple of disclaimers first of all
  • This is all Post Smash Direct evidence. This means after Ridley's shadow was shown in the April direct
  • This post is not meant to prove to you that Ridley is for sure playable, it is instead here to inform you on evidence you may not have know otherwise due to most media sites not reporting such evidence. If you came here spouting "Ridley is too big idiots", chances are, we sent you here.
  • The reason I felt called to create this post is for a couple reasons.
    1. I was once someone who didn't care for Ridley's inclusion. I am a Metroid fan, as well as a Ridley fan, but I never really cared, I still don't care too much about Ridley's inclusion, though I am certainly more wanting of his playability now that I have been on this thread for a few months now.
    2. I was convinced that Ridley at least has a better chance than not due to most of the posts that I will be showing below. I also assumed Ridley was deconfirmed after the shadow was showed, but then was turned in the complete opposite direction due to the analyst in this thread
    3. There began to be spam in the thread by Ridley detractors calling us stupid for believing he still has a chance. It would either in up in a flame war, or it would end up unneeded spam of past "great posts". We needed a mega-thread for these posts and I took it upon myself to create one.

GENERAL EVIDENCE:
Alright, below you will see General Evidence relating to Ridley's playability in Smash Bros. 4. This includes anything from Essay's, to general thinking logic on how we should look at Sakurai's teasing.

• The @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 essay is a great example of someone not biased towards Ridley looking at the evidence that has been presented and drawing his own inclusions from it. Overall a great read.

• DDD Post. Not much to say, overall great post by @ D ddd87

• Great Post by @majora_787 on why it makes 0 sense for Sakurai to be hyping Ridley as a stage hazard

• Post by @Zem-raj on how Sakurai will usually outright dec-confirm characters, instead of being vague, which happens to be what he is doing with Ridley

SHADOW EVIDENCE:

Coming out of general evidence, you may already be thinking differently than you were before. But if you're not, maybe this will convince you, it is actually what convinced me. What you are about to see is Shadow Analysis'. Yep. The exact shadow that people are saying deconfirmed him as a stage boss? Turns out, it actually works out in favor of supporters more than detractors. Have a look for yourself.

• First up we have @Smashoperatingbuddy123 and his two phenomenal posts analyzing Ridley's shadow. In fact, this was the first post that began to turn me from "He's not in" to "He has a more for him than against him"

Head comparison:

Body Comparions:

Unfortunately, Smashboards is being EXTREMELY glitchy right here, so until a mod can do this themselves, or Smashboards gets a fix, I will have to link you to the exact post here, just look under the tab "Body Comparisons"

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-splounge-water.324284/page-637#post-16728288

• Next up,we have the excellent Shadow Analysis by @Dalek_Kolt

MISCELLANEOUS EVIDENCE/THEORIES:

Next up is, well, the rest of it! These are extra theories that don't belong in the general section but are great theories that show how Sakurai is potentially teasing Ridley!

• First we got @Nietona with a great post summarizing the Trophy Theory. I actually specifically asked them to create this, so special thanks to them!

• Though I don't usually like theories with a deadline, I wanted to include this one. @BlueBubbee compiled a list of Metroid anniversary's in the month of August, this potentially could be the time for a reveal, though I would not be surprised if Ridley was secret till launch

• One more thing

And thus concludes the post! I may update it with some more posts along the way, but considering we're so close to launch, I may leave it as is and fix a few glitches.

Again, this post isn't to make you change your stance on Ridley, it is to shut up the "toobigots" and to prove that Ridley has more of a fighting chance than almost any other character in the running. Thank you for viewing my post. If you learned something, drop a like!
That's a good post. Except for the shadow part I can agree with anything else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Sakurai made a statement in Famitsu about how Chrom was originally planned, but then picked Robin. So Gematsu is correct if we're looking at it through the context of when this guy got the info. So it's still relevant to an extent. At least in the case of Shulk and Chorus Men.

Not that this necessarily effects Ridley, but I just thought I'd drop in to correct you :awesome:
It states he was considered, not that he was planned, by the sounds of it Robin was such a match made in heaven for Sakurai that Chrom never made it very far. I can bet ya that over 100 characters have been considered to be added to this game, likely including Delphox, Chesnaught, Toad and Bowser Jr, but they were probably quickly written off. Being considered and being planned are two extremely different things. Villager was considered for Brawl, but was quickly written off, he was never planned like Mewtwo.

Due to Chrom's popularity it's only natural he was brought up of course, but he's hardly the only one to have that distinction I can guarantee you. Heck, Ridley was probably even considered during the planning stages for Brawl, but of course he was never planned.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Guys, what if they decided to make a trailer similar to the Robin one, with Anthony fighting first, and then Ridley coming later ?
You know, ending up doing the same thing than Lucina ; two newcomers, but Anthony is kind of a clone while Ridley has a brand new gameplay ?
Could be the same with Dixie and K. Rool !

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

Thanks for considering my post ^_^.

Can I ask just ask one more thing? Could you remove the first 4 paragraphs of my post? They are just an introduction of myself and I just now realise that part reads kinda douchey lol.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Guys, what if they decided to make a trailer similar to the Robin one, with Anthony fighting first, and then Ridley coming later ?
You know, ending up doing the same thing than Lucina ; two newcomers, but Anthony is kind of a clone while Ridley has a brand new gameplay ?
I don't anticipate it. I don't think Anthony will appear as more than a trophy, he's not really that iconic to the franchise. If he appears in more games, perhaps.

gitryan

Smash Rookie
Is this the Gematsu or Ridley thread? I shouldn't have to read through a whole page of Gematsu discussion just to see what's being said about Ridley...

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

That was just a mis translation, all it says in the article is that Lucina got upgraded to playable status from alt,It does not even mention her replacing anyone, So no Gematsu does not live, in fact it is more dead than before.

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Is this the Gematsu or Ridley thread? I shouldn't have to read through a whole page of Gematsu discussion just to see what's being said about Ridley...
Same could also be said about people talking about other characters here, but if I call people out on it, and they say it's an opinion, it then somehow makes it impervious to criticism. I'm just sick of leaks full stop, it just blind sights people, and when that's proven wrong they just jump to the next leak bandwagon.

Last edited:

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
So, to stop talking about fake leaks we should probably talk about Ridey's gimmick, since every newcomer has one. So obviously it has to involve flying but what I think would be cool if he had aerial specials, we know we have aerial smash attacks, these would pretty much be different specials in the air than normal specials. Along with his aerial attacks, these would be more or less, better versions of his ground attacks. Similar to how Mac has to stay on the ground, Ridley has to stay in the air to viable. I don't think he should have infinite flight, just long flight. Maybe he can fly for 7 seconds and then has to go on the ground and wait or "recharge"for a few seconds similar to Robin's recharging gimmick. But he would be better on the ground then Mac is on the air, but you still would want him to be in the air for a while. That is all I got.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If you liked Bravely Default, the best game I can recommend is Final Fantasy V. I like it much more than the other ones because it has a bigger focus on humor and comedy.

Though my favorite thing about the game is that it has the most realistic video game character death in the franchise's history.
That's a bit of a stark contrast, lol. If I have time I'll check it out. Though I do have a bunch of games on the backlist to tide me over until smash. To put things in perspective, I put Bravely Default on the list when it came out. yeah....
-u- thanks for helping him....It is sometimes hard for me to do some request.....my Crazy Hand (I'm lefty...) gets literally paralyzed and does not even get near to the paper.....
I am from now on referring to my right and left hands as my master and crazy hand. How have I never thought of this. This is my best vocabulary update in a long time. Thank you.

looool I'm not gonna lie I never saw you friended me. Probably woulda accepted right away otherwise. I'm on this site all day at work, and sometimes after my 2 hour commute I come home to 100+ notifications so I just ignore them all. you probably friended during one of those times xD

Last edited:

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
The Gematsu leak is completely irrelevant to the consideration of Ridley because Gematsu did not mention Rosalina. Whether or not Gematsu is now dead or whether it was outdated it, it makes no difference to the fact that we know Gematsu was not aware of at least one character, so its also conceivable that there was another unknown character. Ridley's likelihood of inclusion neither stands nor falls with Gematsu.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, Anthony shouldn't appear at all imo, he's not worth having as a Smash character, and he couldn't make a good clone out of anyone either.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Yeah, I'm not surprised.

But as I've said multiple times, Gematsu never really influenced Ridley's chances. The point is, we know Ridley is in the game, Gematsu or not, and Gematsu never claimed to know all the playable characters. Ridley's inclusion has always fallen to if he's going to be a hazard or not.

Silly. These are the Sal boards, home of the gematsu leak. All hail kind gematsu. glory to sal. ect.

I'd be interested in seeing Anthony's morph ball

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
So, to stop talking about fake leaks we should probably talk about Ridey's gimmick, since every newcomer has one. So obviously it has to involve flying but what I think would be cool if he had aerial specials, we know we have aerial smash attacks, these would pretty much be different specials in the air than normal specials. Along with his aerial attacks, these would be more or less, better versions of his ground attacks. Similar to how Mac has to stay on the ground, Ridley has to stay in the air to viable. I don't think he should have infinite flight, just long flight. Maybe he can fly for 7 seconds and then has to go on the ground and wait or "recharge"for a few seconds similar to Robin's recharging gimmick. But he would be better on the ground then Mac is on the air, but you still would want him to be in the air for a while. That is all I got.
The spell book and levin sword are good examples of how a flight mechanic for Ridley could work, though I would expect longer than 7 seconds, maybe something like 10-20. Which could also explain why his shadows appearance on the direct was brief, any longer and he could have landed, though it was intended to be a teaser, so more than likely that.

Last edited:

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Just read that post on first page and its cool, and pretty convincing.

I'm glad its Other M Ridley, he is kinda cute in a weird and menacing way. Some of those drawings just enforce that to.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I came to see what people were talking about and all I see is talk about Gematsu leak. Let it go, people. It doesn't matter if it is fake or real (it is fake), you can't rely on it. Chrom's deconfirmation, Robin and Lucina's confirmation, "Pokémon from XY", no mention of Rosalina, etc. There are too many holes in the leak. It is unreliable. The Gematsu leak has nothing to do with Ridley either :c

Top Bottom