• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Alright, I guess I will try to start something.

Should Ridley use his mouth for the majority of items or his hands? Isn't Ridley's head better since it is longer and gives you better reach?

Any good reasons why? Lets debate.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Ridley will use his hands to pick up items. I don't see any reason for him to use his mouth.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
There is also what I refer to as "Deconfirmation Bias" working in his favor. All characters such as ATs and such got disconfirmed the minute they were shown. Nintendo even sent a note to IGN and other places after the Robin trailer to tell them that Chrom definitely wasn't playable to "clear up confusion."

Meanwhile Ridley's status has yet to be disclosed. So all of this begs the question, if Sakurai/Ninendo clarified all of these other characters' disconfirmed status immediately, wouldn't they have done the same for Ridley, so as to "clear up confusion"? Since they haven't, that can only mean that Ridley is more than likely playable, and with the exception of G&W all veterans and newcomers have not been shown directly until the formal announcement of their playable/non-playable status has been made, which would explain why we were only shown Ridley's shadow in the April Smash Direct. (On an unrelated note, G&W being shown but not confirmed makes me think that he may not return this time around).

(Credit to @WingedSnagret for first mentioning the disparity between Nintendo's actions with Ridley and the most recent example of their immediate disconfirmation/clarification of Chrom's status in Smash 4.)
Hmmmm, good point with the confirmation thing. It's really up in the air, anything could happen at this point. I too find it weird that they downright said Chrom wasn't playable but haven't said a word about Mr. Game & Watch and Ridley. However, in Ridley's situation it's a bit more understandable because they didn't say his name or show him, even though they gave us a peak of his shadow and tail. I don't know haha.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Alright, I guess I will try to start something.

Should Ridley use his mouth for the majority of items or his hands? Isn't Ridley's head better since it is longer and gives you better reach?

Any good reasons why? Lets debate.
Roidley has pretty good arms after workin' with Dyrone. I don't see why he'd resort to such petty filth like using his MOUTH. He needs that to de-spleen people, you know!

D

Deleted member

That got me thinking, would Ridley be better to use the Home Run Bat with his mouth or hands? Even then, wouldn't the items have to be made bigger for Ridley's hands to make them not look awkward?
It's interesting that you mention that because as I recall, items are automatically scaled to the size of the character picking them up. For example if you were to have picked up a Super Mushroom and become very large, the laser sword, for instance, would be rescaled to properly fit in your character's hands. So I don't think it would be an issue.

I don't think Ridley using his mouth would make sense because he would be intelligent enough to know that he could get a better swing with his arms, canonically speaking.

I feel like Ridley's Home Run Bat animation would either be a backhand type motion or a vertical swing downwards (both with one hand), I can't see him doing the whole wind-up deal like a baseball player.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
It's interesting that you mention that because as I recall, items are automatically scaled to the size of the character picking them up. For example if you were to have picked up a Super Mushroom and become very large, the laser sword, for instance, would be rescaled to properly fit in your character's hands. So I don't think it would be an issue.

I don't think Ridley using his mouth would make sense because he would be intelligent enough to know that he could get a better swing with his arms, canonically speaking.

I feel like Ridley's Home Run Bat animation would either be a backhand type motion or a vertical swing downwards (both with one hand), I can't see him doing the whole wind-up deal like a baseball player.
Just make him grab the items with his tail :dr^_^:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Toobigots are probably the most unique group of detractors I've ever seen.

Unlike most other detractors, who base their hate of playable ____ becoming playable because of the character itself (it being not relevant or important enough to warrant a spot, or simply dislike towards the character itself), Toobigots base their hate of playable Ridley on the believe that the team working for Smash is just plain incompetent.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
His mouth would be the best way to grab opponents though right?
Nah, he grabbed Samus in the Subspace Emissary with his hand and dragged her all along the wall. He'd grab opponents with his hands as well, and probably bite them or crush them with his hand to deal damage.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nah, he grabbed Samus in the Subspace Emissary with his hand and dragged her all along the wide. He'd grab opponents with his hands as well, and probably bite them or crush them with his hand to deal damage.
Ahhh....I want to grab opponents ruthlessly with Ridley's mouth....

Though using Ridley's hands makes more sense.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Toobigots are probably the most unique group of detractors I've ever seen.

Unlike most other detractors, who base their hate of playable ____ becoming playable because of the character itself (it being not relevant or important enough to warrant a spot, or simply dislike towards the character itself), Toobigots base their hate of playable Ridley on the believe that the team working for Smash is just plain incompetent.
I think some of them just hate Ridley's spleen and other internal organs...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Damn that was a horrible typo. I said "all along the wide," I meant "wall." :p

This cutscene. :p

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
I dunno if this has ever been considered before by the people who dearly value size in Smash.
"Bowser can change sizes due to Kamek's magic."
Never heard anyone think of a DIRECT response to this, but if we're going of that logic...
Ridley was cloned in Other M and was a different size than his... "other" form. Using this logic, couldn't a Ridley be cloned that is perfect for Smash?

Or you could just accept that Size doesn't matter in Smash. I just wanted to share my "revelation" in case anyone get's bombed by detractors.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I dunno if this has ever been considered before by the people who dearly value size in Smash.
Never heard anyone think of a DIRECT response to this, but if we're going of that logic...
Ridley was cloned in Other M and was a different size than his... "other" form. Using this logic, couldn't a Ridley be cloned that is perfect for Smash?

Or you could just accept that Size doesn't matter in Smash. I just wanted to share my "revelation" in case anyone get's bombed by detractors.
Ok. Ridley's size changes all the time in Metroid games and he does nothing of notice when that happens. Bowser is often very big even when Kamek isn't around.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

^Truth, Bowser's size changes all the time, many times without reasons pertaining to anyone or anything.

Good imagination, that could work, maybe. He really would need a new bod for Smash.

He needs to get his body ready...for Smash season.

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Soo..What do you guys think Ridley's Taunts and Victory poses will be? (victory poses are the thingy mah bobbers they do when they win)

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Ok. Ridley's size changes all the time in Metroid games and he does nothing of notice when that happens. Bowser is often very big even when Kamek isn't around.
Example of Bowser's bigness w/o Kamek's aid:
-Mario Galaxy
-Mario Galaxy 2
-Mario Sunshine
-The first time you fight him before he becomes massive he's pretty big.
-Oh, how about Bowser's Inside Story in the Giant Bowser Battles?
-Hey, Super Mario 64. Kamek didn't even exist then.

Also, no one seems to remember that ,cannonically, Bowser actually has dark magic abilities of his own. It's always 'Kamek blah blah blah.' Maybe Bowser buffs himself whenever he damn well pleases?

D

Deleted member

They could give him a non-canon eye laser attack. That'd throw everyone in for a loop.
While we're at it for Ridley's final smash he should simply cosplay as Samus (fire that giant laser with an attachable arm cannon) or her parents (kill everyone with the sadness that comes with cosplaying as a dead set of parents).

Or if we get Roidley he could just cosplay as Anthony Higgs. running around with that large gun asking if the Smash Cast remembered him or better yet, gloriously announcing that they all "got no style" as he blasted them off screen. He would also be KOing everyone because he would be mad that they "didn't know how to treat a lady" because Ridley is you know, a woman.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Hence why a Hybridley between OG Ridely and Roidley is a commonly accepted idea. I like to think that as a second attempt at cloning Ridley, this time making sure the result doesn't have an overbearing amount of muscle mass (and a better, non duck looking head).

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Then again, if memory serves right we haven't gotten any original models for any of the playable characters, just amalgamations, discounting clothing. So this would be an entirely new thing. Which isn't a problem, it just hasn't been done yet.

But as you said in your edit, an amalgamation of two (or more) versions or Ridley does indeed seem plausible. It would just need to be re-proportioned to fit Smash.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Soo..What do you guys think Ridley's Taunts and Victory poses will be? (victory poses are the thingy mah bobbers they do when they win)
Taunts:

1 - The typical roar you'd expect, where he roars in front of him.
2 - A dark laugh where he laughs while closing his eyes, his head sort-of bobbing as he does so.
3 - He pulls in his wings and wraps his tail around himself before spreading both out as far and wide as they'll go, with a roar.

Victory pose: Two claw swipes in front of him, and then a third claw swipe with a spin that results in him staring at the camera while his claw is down near the ground.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Not to be taken seriously, but I feel like "some" moves could be referenced especially since alternative move sets are a thing. In this game I've seen videos of Plasma beam Ridley and Ice Beam Ridley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2tSZ2Zf4a0; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EMe0MqAw6Q

Edit: On a second thought it might better fit Samus, typically refering to the wave, ice, and plasma beam that repeats in several of the games.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I remain a stalwart supporter of this notion:

Which is why a Ridley model specially re-proportioned for Smash is the most sensible way to include him as a character. I don't know what it would look like, but it would have to look good. I don't blame you for thinking that way, they can't just resize him.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
I remain a stalwart supporter of this notion:

I don't think anyone is asking you to change your mind. The others here have just concluded that size isn't Ridley's defining feature for them which is why they wouldn't mind seeing him downsized.

I will agree with you in one aspect though. I think downsizing him too much or not enough will make it look weird. I do believe there is a good range for him to stay in and look normal though. Most of the shadow comparisons I have seen here seem just fine to me.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings

Try again.
What do you mean, try again? You guys think Ridley as a playable character would be cool and I think it would be stupid, simple as that.

By the way, why don't you just throw in the original Ridley sprite while you're at it. Why didn't they keep Ridley at his original size, huh? Or why did they make Kraid absolutely massive despite his NES appearance?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I thought we were done with these asinine Ridley detractors? Whatever. Opinions, opinions. Ridley has never been about size, he looks menacing despite being the smallest boss in every Metroid game.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
True dat about Kraid. What people say about Ridley can also be applied to Kraid but people here say no. Strange, right?

They resized Ridley in Zero Mission for a reason. This change can be attributed to the increase of Samus' Arm Cannon's firing range.

I agree that they can't just make him small and call it a day. If he is in the game, they'll have to make a special Ridley made specifically for the game.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What do you mean, try again? You guys think Ridley as a playable character would be cool and I think it would be stupid, simple as that.

By the way, why don't you just throw in the original Ridley sprite while you're at it. Why didn't they keep Ridley at his original size, huh? Or why did they make Kraid absolutely massive despite his NES appearance?
I meant to say, instead of comparing Ridley's possible size (Bowser sized maybe) with one of his BIGGEST canonical appearances, try looking at one of the more standard sized ones (and more iconic ones as well). It makes the difference less staggering.

Sorry for not being clear enough

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

What do you have against @Angelglory's terrific renders for a playable Ridley? They're certainly not an eyesore to most Metroid fans.
image.jpg

And if you dislike Other M, there's the Super Metroid version for comparison.
image.jpg

Ridley's size in general is really ****ing inconsistent throughout the series, because the developers have made it clear that they don't give a crap about his size; they care about him making a difficult and memorable boss.

People aren't going to flock to the generic one shot bounty hunters because they have a humanoid appearance, it's because they're not popular at all in the fanbase.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Bowser has always been inconsistent with his sizes, ranging from really small to normal sized to ginormous, obviously he has no "canon size."

Ridley has always varied in size, but has also always been large. Save for his NES Metroid appearance which was that way probably due to Samus' firing range, and the noncanon Melee intro, he's always been gargantuan, and even he's not among the biggest bosses in the Metroid series.

I'm so asinine for disagreeing as if any of our preferences have an impact on the final product. Yep.
Yeah, in case you didn't know some people act like real d***s around here, it seems that they're pretty attached to this kind of thing on an emotional level. They've had to "deal with this since the Brawl days" as if that's a good excuse.

It's opinions, people get worked up about it and start calling names and throwing accusations and writing people off, then get mad when someone disagrees with them and don't realize how they're acting.

It's kinda funny, actually. Sometimes. Many times it's just sad.

Last edited:

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings
What do you have against @Angelglory's terrific renders for a playable Ridley? They're certainly not an eyesore to most Metroid fans.

And if you dislike Other M, there's the Super Metroid version for comparison.

Ridley's size in general is really ****ing inconsistent throughout the series, because the developers have made it clear that they don't give a crap about his size; they care about him making a difficult and memorable boss.

People aren't going to flock to the generic one shot bounty hunters because they have a humanoid appearance, it's because they're not popular at all in the fanbase.
I'm not diminishing this person's dedication as a Ridley fan, but they do have to take more into consideration besides finding aesthetic sweet-spots for character size when it comes to game design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom