• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just read that post on first page and its cool, and pretty convincing.

I'm glad its Other M Ridley, he is kinda cute in a weird and menacing way. Some of those drawings just enforce that to.
Well, again, Other M Ridley was hated, but mainly for his beak. I think its actually going to be Concept Art Other M Ridley, which looks MUCH better and more badass.

Obsidorox

Smash Rookie
Ridley's size could be tweaked by his standing posture. If he is hunched over more, he wouldn't tower over Samus as much but he'd have more length on the screen. A bigger issue with Ridley is how he would fight on the ground - he's almost entirely airborne in the Metroid games I've played except for a portion of the Metroid Prime fight. It's not impossible, but I think the mechanics of making Ridley a playable character would cause problems long before 'they couldn't get his size right'. Not going to stop me from sitting in my corner worshiping the great space pirate dragon until he is revealed though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley's size could be tweaked by his standing posture. If he is hunched over more, he wouldn't tower over Samus as much but he'd have more length on the screen. A bigger issue with Ridley is how he would fight on the ground - he's almost entirely airborne in the Metroid games I've played except for a portion of the Metroid Prime fight. It's not impossible, but I think the mechanics of making Ridley a playable character would cause problems long before 'they couldn't get his size right'. Not going to stop me from sitting in my corner worshiping the great space pirate dragon until he is revealed though.
Obviously, I think Ridley would be the opposite of Little Mac. I think he CAN fight on the ground, but he's a horrible ground fighter. Ridley is almost certainly going to be an air fighter. Speaking of which, one thing that could set Ridley apart is allowing him to grab enemies in the air.

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
Well, again, Other M Ridley was hated, but mainly for his beak. I think its actually going to be Concept Art Other M Ridley, which looks MUCH better and more badass.
I think a cuter Ridley gives him more personality,

Now excuse me but I'm going to go make a roster. Buh bye.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Took a look and compared the two. Differently coloured chest, less muscle around the joints, beak doesn't curve up, and I guess somewhat smaller wingspan.

To be honest, I actually like the Other M incarnation of Ridley. My concerns with the beak are not the fact that it makes him look like a duck (it doesn't). The problem I have with it is that the beak is more or less built to eat fish with, if I recall correctly. Kind of a slip-up, Ridley only eats parents. I like the idea of Ridley having a pterosauric beak, but do ur reserch pls.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Comparison:

I agree I like the Concept Art better, the final version is "too muscular" in the opinions of many.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Meh. I still don't like Roidley as much as Brawl Ridley. I'm going to start calling Brawl Ridley BRidley.

Even if we get Roidley I doubt we'll get a straight rip of his other M model. I'd enjoy a new model.

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
I came to see what people were talking about and all I see is talk about Gematsu leak. Let it go, people. It doesn't matter if it is fake or real (it is fake), you can't rely on it. Chrom's deconfirmation, Robin and Lucina's confirmation, "Pokémon from XY", no mention of Rosalina, etc. There are too many holes in the leak. It is unreliable. The Gematsu leak has nothing to do with Ridley either :c
Exactly. Ridley stands or falls separate from Gematsu.

Ridley of course was teased as a stage hazard/boss on Pyrosphere. But this could be similar to how Toon Link appears on Spirit Tracks if no one is playing as Toon Link but disappears otherwise. I think the problem facing Ridley is not his size but how you change a boss character that primarily flies to be a workable fighter. I definitely think this is doable as another poster was suggesting it could be an aerial character who is weak on the ground. But we already know that the gliding mechanic has been removed from the game. Would his moveset be based on Charizard?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Actually, now that I am looking at the model in detail, the most jarring thing about Roidley are his feet. Ridley has these clawy feet that he can use to pick stuff up with. Roidley has feet more in line with, say, human feet, in that they are only useful for walking and have no utility beyond that.
It also looks stupid.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I like Other M concept art Ridley, it's a shame that it didn't translate well in the game - that beak face, and the arms were longer than they should have been (Kongley). Hopefully Sakurai will use the Other M concept art Ridley and adjust the jaw slightly, curve it down like Ridley is known for, and we're good to go.

D

Deleted member

I think Ridley's chances of being revealed in August are good, not only we will know the starting roster in the 12th, but CoroCoro will leak some days prior to it, a Direct in August 6th would match Metroid's anniversary, Mac was revealed on Punch-Out Wii's anniversary, F-Zero GX was released July 14th and Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyū(thanks wikipedia) was released on July 15th

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Roidley's feet remind me of Bowser's, as do his hands.

Chances are we'll get an entirely new Ridley, though. I wouldn't be disappointed. Most of the people will get Smash 4 expecting Brawley, as a lot of people haven't played the Metroids.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
THIS JUST IN; Sakurai's Birthday is on August 3rd.
August SSB4 Direct.
"Yes, I'm still alive."

D

Deleted member

I really, really hope we get Conceptley, it's the best design for Smash imo. It's purple, no weird beak and anorexic

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Coming from the land of Robin to mention that I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed he has smash aerials that allow him to draw a Levin sword. This sudden potential increase of aerial options makes a heavily aerial based character more likely. Prior to this I felt having an air-based character was less likely than having a ground based character. On the ground there are jabs, tilts, Smashes, and specials, whereas prior to now you aerials just had aerials and specials. With this potential addition of 'smash' aerials, I think the idea of a character with an 'amazing' air game at the expense of a terrible ground game (a common suggestion for something Ridley could bring to the cast) becomes a lot more viable.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I still maintain my belief that since there are two different Ridleys (original SM Ridley and cloned Other M Ridley) that OM Ridley is the stage-hazard and SM Ridley is the playable character. This not only solves the flying and size problem but also solves the issue of the hazard being someone else.

His character screams unlockable, so he probably won't be revealed until after release

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I still maintain my belief that since there are two different Ridleys (original SM Ridley and cloned Other M Ridley) that OM Ridley is the stage-hazard and SM Ridley is the playable character. This not only solves the flying problem but also solves the issue of the stage hazard being someone else.

His character screams unlockable, so he probably won't be revealed until after release
It's definitely a good theory. I could see it happening. I personally think Ridley is just a hidden character. We'll know in a month or two.

I'm honestly worried at this point that Sakurai just doesn't think Metroid deserves the rep. Other M is getting older, and it wasn't well received. Why must Nintendo shun Metroid :(

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Coming from the land of Robin to mention that I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed he has smash aerials that allow him to draw a Levin sword. This sudden potential increase of aerial options makes a heavily aerial based character more likely. Prior to this I felt having an air-based character was less likely than having a ground based character. On the ground there are jabs, tilts, Smashes, and specials, whereas prior to now you aerials just had aerials and specials. With this potential addition of 'smash' aerials, I think the idea of a character with an 'amazing' air game at the expense of a terrible ground game (a common suggestion for something Ridley could bring to the cast) becomes a lot more viable.
I was wondering, was it explicitly confirmed that smash aerials exist, or is it possible that Robin simply pulls out the Levin Sword after an aerial attack?

samsparta21

Smash Ace
It's definitely a good theory. I could see it happening. I personally think Ridley is just a hidden character. We'll know in a month or two.

I'm honestly worried at this point that Sakurai just doesn't think Metroid deserves the rep. Other M is getting older, and it wasn't well received. Why must Nintendo shun Metroid :(
Another problem lies in the fact that now Zero Suit Samus is her own character, Metroid just got another rep. If Ridley were added, that would mean THREE character slots.

I was wondering, was it explicitly confirmed that smash aerials exist, or is it possible that Robin simply pulls out the Levin Sword after an aerial attack?
His aerials and Smash attacks use the Levin Sword until it breaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still maintain my belief that since there are two different Ridleys (original SM Ridley and cloned Other M Ridley) that OM Ridley is the stage-hazard and SM Ridley is the playable character. This not only solves the flying and size problem but also solves the issue of the hazard being someone else.

I doubt it, it's either Roidley or nothing, he is around Bowser's size and has chunky movements. I also doubt he won't be revealed prior release, just because something has been revealed, doesn't mean it's a starter, I doubt Toon Link, Lucina and Luigi are starters

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Another problem lies in the fact that now Zero Suit Samus is her own character, Metroid just got another rep. If Ridley were added, that would mean THREE character slots.

IMO that was a problem in Brawl even she didn't have her own square.

The one think I think is going for us is that both Metroid characters were revealed so early

of course that also happened in Brawl... ZSS was one of the first newcomers revealed lol

I doubt it, it's either Roidley or nothing, he is around Bowser's size and has chunky movements. I also doubt he won't be revealed prior release, just because something has been revealed, doesn't mean it's a starter, I doubt Toon Link, Lucina and Luigi are starters
We don't know his model, so we don't know his size

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically, its just a forward Smash in the air. Its not EXACTLY a Smash attack, though. Robin can't charge it, for example.

EDIT: At least I don't think Robin can charge it.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
It appears to simply be a new set of aerial moves. There's no indication that they can charge, but the landing lag on what looks to be his forward air-smash thing looks considerable; it might be the case that the aerials we know are weaker and have less landing lag than the others. It's also possible that it's Robin unique, or that Robin's normal fair is the same but with the bronze sword. We don't know much, but the possibility of those new inputs exist, and it seems most relevant to Ridley's potential air game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Character slots don't matter. Who characters if Metroid takes up three slots? Its one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, even if it isn't in the top six its still significant.

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's much more likely that he doesn't think Ridley is appropriate and that no other Metroid characters are significant enough.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
It's much more likely that he doesn't think Ridley is appropriate and that no other Metroid characters are significant enough.
mmm, then why would dark samus have gotten assist trophy status? Sakurai showed enough knowledge of the franchise to give it a phaazon attack and everything. Would have been an easy alternative to no new character.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
It appears to simply be a new set of aerial moves. There's no indication that they can charge, but the landing lag on what looks to be his forward air-smash thing looks considerable; it might be the case that the aerials we know are weaker and have less landing lag than the others. It's also possible that it's Robin unique, or that Robin's normal fair is the same but with the bronze sword. We don't know much, but the possibility of those new inputs exist, and it seems most relevant to Ridley's potential air game.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, I am excited for what new stuff Ridley brings to the table. SSB4 seems to experiment a bit with characters. Little Mac being entirely ground-based, Megaman and Mii Gunner being primarily ranged in their attacks to the point of having projectile smash attacks, Palutena's absurd range and AoE capabilities, move variations. And Bowser being frighteningly fast.

I really like where this is all headed.

Speculator

Smash Ace
mmm, then why would dark samus have gotten assist trophy status? Sakurai showed enough knowledge of the franchise to give it a phaazon attack and everything. Would have been an easy alternative to no new character.
No it wouldn't, no new character is definitely the easier option. Dark Samus is also only really important to the Prime games, as opposed to the whole series. Because Metroid is so focused on Samus, the only other option as far as 'significant' characters go is Ridley. If Sakurai doesn't see Ridley working as a playable fighter, which is most likely the case, then the remaining option is that Metroid continues to be represented by Samus and Zero Suit Samus.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seriously, just leave, don't start things like this in the RIDLEY SUPPORT thread, go back to what you do best, spectate

alanswindoll

Smash Cadet
Obviously, I think Ridley would be the opposite of Little Mac. I think he CAN fight on the ground, but he's a horrible ground fighter. Ridley is almost certainly going to be an air fighter. Speaking of which, one thing that could set Ridley apart is allowing him to grab enemies in the air.
How would you solve the issue of flying/aerial dominant character having an overpowered recovery? Would he be able to fly freely but just be knocked really far? Would he have a stamina meter for flight? How would it work?

Speculator

Smash Ace
Seriously, just leave, don't start things like this in the RIDLEY SUPPORT thread, go back to what you do best, spectate
You cannot be so petrified of a discussion to refuse to even consider that Sakurai doesn't share your opinion on Ridley. A 2000 page thread of just talking about how great and totally workable Ridley is doesn't really achieve much. If it's getting to the point where people are saying "I can't understand why Ridley isn't playable" then it sounds like an alternative viewpoint would do you some good.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
If there is someone on this planet that could make Ridley work, it's Sakurai. I believe in his skills and experience, and trust him to work Ridley into a smaller shape like a blacksmith forges a sword.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You cannot be so petrified of a discussion to refuse to even consider that Sakurai doesn't share your opinion on Ridley. A 2000 page thread of just talking about how great and totally workable Ridley is doesn't really achieve much. If it's getting to the point where people are saying "I can't understand why Ridley isn't playable" then it sounds like an alternative viewpoint would do you some good.
Refer to the second post on this entire thread please

guys we can do this now yay

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
No it wouldn't, no new characte
r is definitely the easier option. Dark Samus is also only really important to the Prime games, as opposed to the whole series. Because Metroid is so focused on Samus, the only other option as far as 'significant' characters go is Ridley. If Sakurai doesn't see Ridley working as a playable fighter, which is most likely the case, then the remaining option is that Metroid continues to be represented by Samus and Zero Suit Samus.
I know no new character is the easier option, that's what I meant I was afraid of. I probably stated it in a confusing manner, when I said easy alternative I didn't mean easier than nothing. I meant easier than Ridley. And yeah, Dark Samus was only important to the prime games, but look how much representation they've gotten in Smash in the past, and they are also the last well received Metroid thing. I never thought Dark Samus had a chance at playability, but it did get some decent recognition, especially after not having been an assist trophy last game.

But I have to agree with your last point, if Ridley isn't playable, I don't think I see Metroid getting a new rep. A little disappointing to me, but there really aren't any other feasible mainstay characters.

The only thing I'll disagree with is that you say it's most likely that Sakurai doesn't see Ridley working. He's said on record that he could make Ridley work. I'm not saying it's likely Ridley's playable either. I'm just saying we really don't know at this point, and we know Sakurai has changed his mind about quite a few things from brawl to now.

Hey, calm down. It's the Ridley discussion thread too. That means people with doubts can voice them in a non aggressive manner. That's what it sounded like he was doing to me.

If there is someone on this planet that could make Ridley work, it's Sakurai. I believe in his skills and experience, and trust him to work Ridley into a smaller shape like a blacksmith forges a sword.
Able to make work =/= going to do it

look what happened to Chrom. sure, it was a different situation. But the Chrom thread basically used your argument - if anyone can make Chrom unique, it's Sakurai. Sakurai recently told Famitus Chrom was just another boring sword fighter.

How would you solve the issue of flying/aerial dominant character having an overpowered recovery? Would he be able to fly freely but just be knocked really far? Would he have a stamina meter for flight? How would it work?
lots of characters in this game seem to have really long recoveries, or even buffed recoveries from brawl. Little mac is one of the few exceptions, because of his excellent ground game. I'd say having a huge recovery isn't too crazy to imagine, but I wouldn't think it'd be something central to his playstyle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom