• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Okay, guys. This is a little off topic, but it still has to do with Ridley (sort of).

I'm looking to get into Metroid more, what games would you recommend me picking up?

I have Original and Fusion on Virtual Console, and I'm reordering Prime Hunters (I had sold my first copy) possibly around my birthday (August 16).

What should I get next? The rest of the Prime games (possibly the trilogy if I can find it cheap?), or Other M (just for the experience)?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Okay, guys. This is a little off topic, but it still has to do with Ridley (sort of).

I'm looking to get into Metroid more, what games would you recommend me picking up?

I have Original and Fusion on Virtual Console, and I'm reordering Prime Hunters (I had sold my first copy) possibly around my birthday (August 16).

What should I get next? The rest of the Prime games (possibly the trilogy if I can find it cheap?), or Other M (just for the experience)?
Trilogy, Other M, whats that?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I saw a post that said Corocoro next month is supposed to release all the 3DS stages and characters? I searched this really quick and found this article... http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07...-revealed-on-august-12th-on-monthly-corocoro/
...so would this then be the ultimate confirmation of everything character-related?
Apparently, Corocoro did this for Brawl, but they only showed off stuff that had already been confirmed up to that point.

It may thus be that next month, they'll simply recap all Smash 4 characters and stages confirmed as of now. Then again, they may also do an actual full-on blowout. And there is the August Direct to consider as well.

With Japan getting the 3DS version in September, we may start seeing more substantive leaks trickling starting next month. We'll at least know everything before the NA release (October 3).

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

I doubt you'll find the Trilogy cheap, but either Super or Prime 1 will seal the deal for you. If you liked Hunters, you'll be pressing your pelvis against the TV screen for these games.

LarsINTJ

Banned via Warnings

You can experience the wonders of Other M by watching cut-scene compilations on Youtube. If you have yet to play the Prime series then definitely go with that. Zero Mission is also good.

Last edited:

lilt

Smash Journeyman

Super Metroid. It's the best Metroid in my opinion. It holds up so well despite it's age.
This game gives you a taste of what perfect game design is.
If you prefer 3D, go with Prime.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Metroid Prime Trilogy is worth every penny, and they re-released them in Gamestops all over the place. I've seen 10 copies on the shelves of some, they should be 50, but it's well worth it. Other M should be about 6 bucks if you wanna give it a shot.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I doubt you'll find the Trilogy cheap, but either Super or Prime 1 will seal the deal for you. If you liked Hunters, you'll be pressing your pelvis against the TV screen for these games.
Alright thanks. I don't have a GC, so I may try for the Trilogy cheap (for a game like that, anything under $50 if extremely cheap to me). Does the Wii **** up the controls on Prime and Echoes? If anyone knows, it'd be really helpful.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
Alright thanks. I don't have a GC, so I may try for the Trilogy cheap (for a game like that, anything under $50 if extremely cheap to me). Does the Wii **** up the controls on Prime and Echoes? If anyone knows, it'd be really helpful.
No it works perfectly fine. Very accurate. As it is for now, they are really the definite versions of the games.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I own Trilogy (got it for £15, along with a £5 Mario Strikers, and DAMN did I not know how lucky I was at the time), and will tell you that the controls in Prime and Echoes are fine. Probably feels less natural than the GC controls, but they're not bad controls.

Also, this will never not be funny to me. Primes vs. Other M.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Thank you all for your input. It seems like Prime Trilogy would be the best thing for me to pick up (if I can find it)

No it works perfectly fine. Very accurate. As it is for now, they are really the definite versions of the games.
Okay thanks, I heard that the Wii ****s with some of the controls for its ports.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I own Trilogy (got it for £15, along with a £5 Mario Strikers, and DAMN did I not know how lucky I was at the time), and will tell you that the controls in Prime and Echoes are fine. Probably feels less natural than the GC controls, but they're not bad controls.

Also, this will never not be funny to me. Primes vs. Other M.

I see you've had enough water to have a tab dedicated to Ridley! Bravo!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Holy Hell.....getting mad for so long really got me a headache.....-__0 SO PLEASE, NO MORE SHIPS....

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I really wanna play the Prime Trilogy. I just suck at fps games. SO BAD. I wonder what physical, normal, flesh Ridley (Fleshley?) woulda looked like in Prime. Mayhaps similar to his Brawl "Super Metroid" model, but idk.

On the topic of that, am I only one that grew to slowly dislike the Brawl Ridley model?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I really wanna play the Prime Trilogy. I just suck at fps games. SO BAD. I wonder what physical, normal, flesh Ridley (Fleshley?) woulda looked like in Prime. Mayhaps similar to his Brawl "Super Metroid" model, but idk.

On the topic of that, am I only one that grew to slowly dislike the Brawl Ridley model?
I like Brawl's Ridley model a lot. I'm not that knowledgable about the character, but I love that design of him. Much more than the Other M one.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I see you've had enough water to have a tab dedicated to Ridley! Bravo!
Funnily enough, I don't actually like water as it is. XD

But, of course~! How else would I refresh the page sporadically~

I see where you're coming from. I can't play Call of Duty to save my life. The Trilogy is actually totally different, and is much more like a traditional Metroid than it could ever be to a proper FPS.

I also share that! I just can't grow to like the Brawl model. Then again, I actually quite like the Other M model, a viewpoint many don't share.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice

I'd suggest Metroid Prime Trilogies and Super Metroid. I have yet to play Other M; people say the gameplay and visuals were awesome but the character development and plot was really disappointing for Metroid fans.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

I imagine a flesh-and-blood Ridley in the Prime style would be the Brawl model, with dark purple skin, squinty, glaring eyes, and a tinier head.

Seriously, Brawley's head is huge.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Its just a simpler/less complex/less detailed version of his Other M model because 3DS wouldn`t be able to handle that model (neither SSBB can). It has same beak by the way.
That is a more classic Ridley design

Also, I heard some detractors were here

(Note to self, don't re-use this picture again no matter how epic it is

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It depends on if you like motion controls in general or not. For someone like me who thinks it rarely works well I hated the new control scheme, so if you're like me it's probably best to pick up the GC versions. If you're fine with motion controls I've heard it should be pretty good though.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I'd suggest Metroid Prime Trilogies and Super Metroid. I have yet to play Other M; people say the gameplay and visuals were awesome but the character development and plot was really disappointing for Metroid fans.
Pretty much. The best way to sum it up is "Other M was great as a game, but as a Metroid game, it fell flat". If it wasn't a Metroid, it likely would have a more positive reception.

yosharioIII

Smash Apprentice
I like Brawl's Ridley model a lot. I'm not that knowledgable about the character, but I love that design of him. Much more than the Other M one.
Well liked it at first when I was... Still getting to know Ridley? I wasn't super into Metroid yet, and I knew who he was from Melee, so I was just excited to see him. But then when I got into Metroid, s Ridley in action, the Brawl model slowly fell out with me. It just seems really disproportionate, kinda makes Ridley look more like a mindless monster than civilized. The giant head, awkward hands and feet, and the BEADY BULGING bug-eyes. Sorry for anyone who likes Brawldley, but I thought Roidley was a needed and welcome redesign that gave Ridley personality and... uh... playable proportions? Per se?

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Ummm, I would say that the wii controls made it more challenging in a sense and a lot more free/versatile.If you have a Wii you could still play the Prime 1 and Prime 2 GC games on it... however for the wii version, the controls were very similar to Prime 3. I would not say that the wii motion control gameplay was atrociously bad but rather complex and different than from using a gamecube controller. It takes time getting used to.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Welp. Leave for a while to play some games, come back, suddenly a few more pages.

...Thread's moving too slow, guys. Pick it up.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yeah, I've heard the visuals are great. I think can put up with the plot (I hope)

It depends on if you like motion controls in general or not. For someone like me who thinks it rarely works well I hated the new control scheme, so if you're like me it's probably best to pick up the GC versions. If you're fine with motion controls I've heard it should be pretty good though.
I think I'll be able to put up with the controls, I'll have to see.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Mario has no resizing. All of what you see in those games are what Mario sees while on drugs. Just think about it: he is a fat italian plumber than jumps very high, turtles, walking mushroom and other things are trying to kill him, he becomes bigger when he eats mushroom, there is fire underwater, etc. But Metroid still has no resizing. Absolutely. What? Morphball? Nah, she is just sitting inside it in without being resized...actually, that is possible - there was a guy who could fit inside a small box. And he wasn`t a small person.

I heard someone said in this thread that Black Shadow must get Falcondork`s moveset...that is BS. It is a very bad idea. Falcondorf`s moveset with few changes would be better.

Gematsu leak is dead because it is either seriously outdated and is not worth reading because there could be a lot of changes made like removing certain characters or adding something new or it has false information. That is enough. Even 1 single error is enough to consider it to be fake.

@Con0rrrr, i made few examples of the banner. Since i didn`t understood what exactly you want, i made few versions of the banner without background or any letters. I will show them in the next post.
Thats not really true.

The Pokemon X/Y leak got at leasy one thing wrong, yet remained almost completely true. One mistake does not spell doom for the entire leak.

How about him getting WFT? Mii Fighter (the very specific name)? These are still unanswered if it WAS fake. I refuse to believe somebody would get that lucky.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've heard the visuals are great. I think can put up with the plot (I hope)

I think I'll be able to put up with the controls, I'll have to see.
Honestly I ignore the plot in every Metroid game I ever play for the most part, so it was easy for me to put up with Other M's shenanigans. Since I mean, I just play it to wander around places and shoot aliens. And I got to do that. And sometimes it was pretty awesome, like with Vorash.

EDIT: One thing wrong? It repeatedly got things wrong. And "Mii Fighter" was publicly available information. Technically. Wii Fit Trainer by herself could easily be a lucky guess. I mean it is literally THE ONLY merit the leak has. Everything else about it is either INCORRECT or RELATIVELY POPULAR CHARACTER CHOICES.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well liked it at first when I was... Still getting to know Ridley? I wasn't super into Metroid yet, and I knew who he was from Melee, so I was just excited to see him. But then when I got into Metroid, s Ridley in action, the Brawl model slowly fell out with me. It just seems really disproportionate, kinda makes Ridley look more like a mindless monster than civilized. The giant head, awkward hands and feet, and the BEADY BULGING bug-eyes. Sorry for anyone who likes Brawldley, but I thought Roidley was a needed and welcome redesign that gave Ridley personality and... uh... playable proportions? Per se?
I have to agree with you here. It's mainly the large, wide-open eyes that bug me. They're the kind of eyes that are given to mad beasts, which don't fit Ridley at all considering he is supposed to be highly intelligent.
What I'd like to see more in the games is Ridley put into that role, as a commander that doesn't just scheme but can fight very well on its own. A balance between mind and might.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
That is a more classic Ridley design
It isn`t. What is the difference between this model and Other M one? Except for the amount of details.
Nope, i like Roidley`s model more. But my favourite model...is my version of Roidley`s...but its not official, so, Meta Ridley from Prime 1 and 3 are my favourite models.
Thats not really true.

The Pokemon X/Y leak got at leasy one thing wrong, yet remained almost completely true. One mistake does not spell doom for the entire leak.

How about him getting WFT? Mii Fighter (the very specific name)? These are still unanswered if it WAS fake. I refuse to believe somebody would get that lucky.
Getting those 2 characters...nah, that is just luck IMO. Like actually hitting Pteranodon with a shotgun from a long range in Primal Carnage. And that was Pokemon X/Y leak. Gematsu`s leak has more than 1 thing wrong. And 2 of them are major errors. "Oh, its because information is outdated"? Then everything could have been changed if it is THAT outdated, so, that leak can`t be trusted anymore.
Anyway, if "leak" got something wrong, then it is AT LEAST not something you should trust/believe without any doubts.

Last edited:

Meta-Kraid

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-0411-8525
Of course they aren't going to make significant appearances in Smash, that's a given.

Whether or not Ridley is ever a playable character, I really don't care, but it will never change the fact that it's hell-a-stupid for Ridley to be made mini when a significant aspect of his character is the fact he's an enormous imposing alien monster. Yeah that enormity may fluctuate from game to game, but it's still enormous.
The same could be said about Bowser, I'm pretty sure size is more important in his boss battles than Ridley's considering you have to smash Bowser's head with the Koopa Clown Car. Bowser way be able to grow and shrink, but he's never been this close to Mario's size.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The same could be said about Bowser, I'm pretty sure size is more important in his boss battles than Ridley's considering you have to smash Bowser's head with the Koopa Clown Car. Bowser way be able to grow and shrink, but he's never been this close to Mario's size.
Except for playable appearances. Key statement, playable ones. And not boss appearances. Not unlike even Ganondorf, who gets shrunken down from Ridley's Super Metroid height (well, just a tiny bit shorter) to his Smash size.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

Just a short one, though.

Miis were kind of a given. So there are three types of Miis revealed, (see subnote) Brawler, Gunner, and Swordsman. Calling them fighters is a general term, so he could of been using that as a general term, too. It's like saying Pokemon Fighters. They exist, they're just Pikachu, Pichu, Jiggs, etc.

As for Wii Fit Trainer, I don't know how he got that, though I do find it sensible. I had come up with a personal list of "requirements" for a smasher to get in a while back (I am not saying this is what Sakurai uses, I'm just saying it's a pattern I've discovered). One of these was "star in your own game at least three times [with the exception of Memory and Joke characters] prior to the release of the next smash." In Brawl, Pit was one of these "Memory Characters", or characters from a retro game. He only had 2 games (Kid Icarus and KI:Of Myths and Monsters) at the time, but after Brawl, he got a third. This moved him up to a regular character on my lists. WFT has had three games (Wii Fit, WF+, WFU), so she's not an "Out-of-the-blue Joke/Memory Character". She's especially more likely as it was released about a year int o the WiiU's life cycle (before a lot of characters in smash got a game on Wii U/Late 3DS), and was released just a bit after the announcement of Smash 4. She's not the natural choice for a character, but I don't see her as out of the blue. She is Nintendo's way of the be active part of motion control (so are the Mii's in the sense of Wii Sports).

SUBNOTE: What if: more Mii Subtypes for DLC. It'd be the perfect DLC! You can't use 'em online, anyway. Just something I thought of while writing that.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes, and it is BS. And just lame and uninteresting.

By the way, NONE of the leaks have any proof other than text. With few obviously fake exceptions. That would help them a lot.

EDIT: and Lucina being last-minute addition or something like that is BS since even clones require new animations (all of them, even those that are same as original`s), new sounds, new GFX (rarely), new Final Smash, new model (and it is HD in this case), different coding, etc. So, it takes a lot of time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom