• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Nietona

Smash Journeyman

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Playable bosses is a terrible idea, I mean you can abuse the moving attack of Yellow Devil (when you are invencible and it is hard to avoid) and win easily

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
What if: more Mii Subtypes for DLC. It'd be the perfect DLC! You can't use 'em online, anyway. Just something I thought of while writing that.
well if their going to do that then the best choice would be a magic using mii because I cant think of another type.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
So are playable bosses the new thing to "leak". this has to be the second time I seen someone post a leak like this today. I don't know why they do it though, because playable bosses have been deconfirmed by the fact that Sakurai said he did not want to do anything gimmicky with the controller, plus he said both games will have the same playable characters. So ya this is fake.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
http://imgur.com/UXWgEhY

Hey guys. I took some time to add some thoughts, why not share it to the internet right? It points out some stuff people tend to miss when argumenting against or for Ridley. This is my contribution to the Space Pirate Leader!

EDIT: Forgot about the mysterious tubes we still dont know anything about. They are now included in the picture!

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I'd suggest Metroid Prime Trilogies and Super Metroid. I have yet to play Other M; people say the gameplay and visuals were awesome but the character development and plot was really disappointing for Metroid fans.
This is REALLY subjective. For some the gameplay is very shallow as its very automated and cinematic, the FPS gameplay is too basic and its often used as a poor man's version of the scan visor when trying to advance the plot. Expansions become redundant as soon as you get good at dodging (which is also considered easy). The visuals are the typical generic forest/ice/lava/tech themes without much flavor to them, the game engine is better than the primes though. Most of the praise comes from the fact that Samus controls much more agile than the tank like gameplay of the primes.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Finally, caught up!! This thread is moving so fast lately, it's hard to keep up.

It seems that the quality of detractors has been on trollish levels lately, with no substantial arguments as usual.

SmashAdr

Smash Apprentice
honestly the boss characters leak looks like something Sakurai would do.. i actually see it happening and i would hate it

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is REALLY subjective. For some the gameplay is very shallow as its very automated and cinematic, the FPS gameplay is too basic and its often used as a poor man's version of the scan visor when trying to advance the plot. Expansions become redundant as soon as you get good at dodging (which is also considered easy). The visuals are the typical generic forest/ice/lava/tech themes without much flavor to them, the game engine is better than the primes though. Most of the praise comes from the fact that Samus controls much more agile than the tank like gameplay of the primes.
But models themselves are very good. Just compare Roidley to Brawl Ridley. It is on the same console, but Roidley is a lot more detailed and has more...um...verticles...whatever those parts of the model is called. Also, some of the upgrades are a lot better than they were in Prime games, Mother Brain and Phantoon in this game has their most bada$$ design in this game and Overblasts and Lethal Strikes are awesome.
Ridley, obviously. I really don't want Model Clones (characters that look similar under the effects of a metal box) in the form of Dark Samus. I really don't want Dark Samus in Smash as anything other than an AT.

In terms of design, hell no. The prime hunters are the most bad***ly (?) designed Metroid characters imo. But I'm biased as prime hunters is what got me into the rest of the Metroid series. So I'm in love with the Prime hunters as it is.
It is not a Samus with a different look. It doesn`t even walks or stands and doesn`t uses missiles, screw attack, morph ball bombs or charged beam. Its a different thing. Look again at its Boss battle and you will notice differences. And im talking about Prime 3 battle, not Prime 2. Its like saying that Robin is a clone just because he has a sword or that Ridley is a clone because he is a dragon.

But in terms of everything else, they are. Ridley is as bada$$ as Samus, survived nearly all of his battles with her, Dark Samus is one of, if not THE most powerful character in Metroid and Ridley beats them in terms of design to IMO.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think Dark Samus is strong, but... could Dark Samus stand up to Mother Brain wielding the Hyper Beam? I know Dark Samus is mega powerful, but I don't know whether it'd be able to survive that thing. I mean, Samus sure as hell couldn't and needed outside help.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
honestly the boss characters leak looks like something Sakurai would do.. i actually see it happening and i would hate it
Like I said in my previous post, it is a weirdly relevant leak, considering we started discussing playable boss characters very recently. Almost as if someone took some...inspiration.
So yeah, I'm not going to trust that leak anytime soon.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Except it doesn't look like something Sakurai would do because Sakurai himself has stated that there will not be any gimmick requiring one person to have the gamepad. From what I can tell, the Wii U version of the game was mostly intended to be played with the gamecube controller. There is an adaptor coming out specifically for Smash Bros, after all.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think Dark Samus is strong, but... could Dark Samus stand up to Mother Brain wielding the Hyper Beam? I know Dark Samus is mega powerful, but I don't know whether it'd be able to survive that thing. I mean, Samus sure as hell couldn't and needed outside help.
Well, no. Only Phazon can damage it. In Prime 2, it was less stable, so, it was a lot more vulnerable. Anyway, Dark Samus wouldn`t die anyway - it is basicly immortal as long as there is Phaaze somewhere in the universe.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If it was Phaaze? Probably. She'd probably turn Mother Brain into another AU 313 in a few seconds.

If it was off of Phaaze, it would just depend on how powerful Dark Samus was at the time. Like literally every Metroid character including Kraid, she can outmaneuver Mother Brain with her arms and legs tied.

Mother Brain is so powerful because she traps her foes in tiny rooms where she can just "lolhyperbeam" them to death. Put her in a large, open arena against someone like Ridley (or even Samus herself) and MB would be cooked faster than Crocomire.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Mother Brain is so powerful because she traps her foes in tiny rooms where she can blast away. Put her in a large arena against someone like Ridley (or even Samus herself) and MB would be cooked faster than Crocomire.
She is a lot more resistant than ALL of the Super Metroid bosses. She takes a lot of Hyper Beam shots from Samus and that beam could kill Ninja Pirates instantly, something that even Plasma Beam can`t do. It is still useless against Ridley`s tail for some reasons. And don`t forget than her beam destroyed SUPER METROID, creature that Samus can`t damage and her Hyper Beam for some reasons aims itself with Mother Brain not even moving.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
If it was Phaaze? Probably. She'd probably turn Mother Brain into another AU 313 in a few seconds.

If it was off of Phaaze, it would just depend on how powerful Dark Samus was at the time. Like literally every Metroid character including Kraid, she can outmaneuver Mother Brain with her arms and legs tied.

Mother Brain is so powerful because she traps her foes in tiny rooms where she can just "lolhyperbeam" them to death. Put her in a large, open arena against someone like Ridley (or even Samus herself) and MB would be cooked faster than Crocomire.
I'd never thought of that before. That cheating scoundrel! You can tell why she became a Space Pirate with those tactics being what she thinks of.

Situational! But yeah, I sorta wanna see a Mother Brain vs. Dark Samus thing now.

Well, no. Only Phazon can damage it. In Prime 2, it was less stable, so, it was a lot more vulnerable. Anyway, Dark Samus wouldn`t die anyway - it is basicly immortal as long as there is Phaaze somewhere in the universe.
Didn't the power beam damage Dark Samus? And, that's true! DS can still be defeated though, which is what MB'd have to settle for, I guess.

Also, Ridley's tail has the defensive power of Avalon itself. :awesome:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
She is a lot more resistant than ALL of the Super Metroid bosses. She takes a lot of Hyper Beam shots from Samus and that beam could kill Ninja Pirates instantly, something that even Plasma Beam can`t do. It is still useless against Ridley`s tail for some reasons. And don`t forget than her beam destroyed SUPER METROID, creature that Samus can`t damage and her Hyper Beam for some reasons aims itself with Mother Brain not even moving.
The Hyper Beam made the Super Metroid more powerful. It was her regular attacks that killed it.

And MB is a tank, yes. She can deal it and take it with the best of them. But we don't even know if she can turn around in that little tank of hers. All it would take would be Ridley flying to the other side of her tank and A.) heating it with plasma until she boils to death or B.) Ridley Scotting her with his tail.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Didn't the power beam damage Dark Samus? And, that's true! DS can still be defeated though, which is what MB'd have to settle for, I guess.

Also, Ridley's tail has the defensive power of Avalon itself. :awesome:
It was before Prime 3. In Prime 3, she can be damaged only by phazon .

Yeah, and Kraid has it too...unless he opens his mouth. Crocomire, unfortunately for him, doesn`t, and gets knocked into acid after 1 Hyper Beam shot.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
It was before Prime 3. In Prime 3, she can be damaged only by phazon.
So MB'd have to pray for pre-Prime 3 DS. Pray to Gorea! It can't hear you, but pray anyway.

Also, I just had a thought. What if, in Ridley's gameplay video after his trailer, it shows the bit where he hovers past Pikachu, except it fully reveals him this time?

Are we really having power level arguments about Metroid characters?
Not arguments, discussions! And, it's not like we have much more to talk about that hasn't been done a thousand times over.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It is not a Samus with a different look. It doesn`t even walks or stands and doesn`t uses missiles, screw attack, morph ball bombs or charged beam. Its a different thing. Look again at its Boss battle and you will notice differences. And im talking about Prime 3 battle, not Prime 2. Its like saying that Robin is a clone just because he has a sword or that Ridley is a clone because he is a dragon.

But in terms of everything else, they are. Ridley is as bada$$ as Samus, survived nearly all of his battles with her, Dark Samus is one of, if not THE most powerful character in Metroid and Ridley beats them in terms of design to IMO.
I never said that Dark Samus is Samus with a different look. I know better than that. I said that Dark Samus would have a similar model to Samus, not similar abilities. It would get confusing if you were Samus against Dark Samus in a metal battle and nobody was attacking, just running.

You said "they are". What are? I'm lost here. If this is about the Prime Hunters, they are really well designed, nobody can deny that.

Design-wise, I meant to say Humanoid characters somewhere in there, but I guess I forgot to put that in. I love Dragons (no references please) and I think Ridley is one of the most bad*** dragons ever. Your points for Ridley hold perfectly with me. :)

Just because I haven't played any of the Prime Series (with the exception of Prime Hunters), doesn't mean I haven't seen any gameplay or other aspects of it.

I want to add this in, too: Realistically, I don't see any of the Prime Hunters having any chance in Smash 4 as anything other than AT's. It's mainly my bias and nostalgia talking. Back to Samus and Dark Samus (I wanted this at the end so that the images wouldn't get in the way), their SSB4 Models are very similar.
For example, here are their silhouettes from Corruption:

You're trying to tell me that those two pictures don't look anything alike? Because that's what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
http://imgur.com/UXWgEhY

Hey guys. I took some time to add some thoughts, why not share it to the internet right? It points out some stuff people tend to miss when argumenting against or for Ridley. This is my contribution to the Space Pirate Leader!

EDIT: Forgot about the mysterious tubes we still dont know anything about. They are now included in the picture!
I would also add the fact that Nintendo gave a message to IGN that stated Chrom wasn't playable to clear up confusion. Lucina also got three pictures in her Miiverse debut the day after the trailer with Sakurai going into exact detail about what her position was since many thought she was an alt, again quickly clearing up confusion. Ever since Pyrosphere was first shown, everyone was, and still is, at odds as to just what Ridley's role will be. And what has Sakurai done concerning the matter? Fan the speculation flames.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I never said that Dark Samus is Samus with a different look. I know better than that. I said that Dark Samus would have a similar model to Samus, not similar abilities. It would get confusing if you were Samus against Dark Samus in a metal battle and nobody was attacking, just running.

You said "they are". What are? I'm lost here. If this is about the Prime Hunters, they are really well designed, nobody can deny that.

Design-wise, I meant to say Humanoid characters somewhere in there, but I guess I forgot to put that in. I love Dragons (no references please) and I think Ridley is one of the most bad*** dragons ever. Your points for Ridley hold perfectly with me. :)

Just because I haven't played any of the Prime Series (with the exception of Prime Hunters), doesn't mean I haven't seen any gameplay or other aspects of it.

I want to add this in, too: Realistically, I don't see any of the Prime Hunters having any chance in Smash 4 as anything other than AT's. It's mainly my bias and nostalgia talking. Back to Samus and Dark Samus (I wanted this at the end so that the images wouldn't get in the way), their SSB4 Models are very similar.

You're trying to tell me that those two pictures don't look anything alike? Because that's what I'm trying to say.
Oh, i just failed to understand you...then yeah, they look very similar. BUT with Metal Box, Lucas/Ness and Mario/Luigi looks same too. If DS doesn`t stands or walks on its feet/foot/legs/ground/whatever and just howers like in Prime 3, would it be hard to look at it and say it is Samus? I don`t really care will DS be playable or not unless Ridley is a boss because then i will be angry.

"They" - DS and Ridley.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Oh, i just failed to understand you...then yeah, they look very similar. BUT with Metal Box, Lucas/Ness and Mario/Luigi looks same too. And if DS doesn`t stands or walks on its feet/foot/legs/ground/whatever, would it be hard to look at it and say it is Samus?

"They" - DS and Ridley.
Thanks for the clarification on all of that.

As for DS not walking, I was under the impression that it tends to walk, because of the AT Trailer.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Oh, i just failed to understand you...then yeah, they look very similar. BUT with Metal Box, Lucas/Ness and Mario/Luigi looks same too. And if DS doesn`t stands or walks on its feet/foot/legs/ground/whatever, would it be hard to look at it and say it is Samus?

"They" - DS and Ridley.
You beat me to it.

So yeah, the floating alone would make them easier to tell apart than some of the other characters. Plus there's the possibility of using different colors of the same character, where their models will be exactly the same.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Don't go believing those ******** playable boss leaks, guys. Gematsu was the old fad. It died, so the lazy leakers needed a new train to jump on. It's the playable boss train. It's a lie.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

The silhouette argument is why Dark Pit is impossible in my eyes as his own separate character.

Dark Samus at least has rounder shoulders, but Dark Pit is a literal clone in EVERY sense of the word.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So yeah, the floating alone would make them easier to tell apart than some of the other characters. Plus there's the possibility of using different colors of the same character, where their models will be exactly the same.
You mean like a black Samus and an orange Dark Samus?

Also wouldn't they be hard to tell apart while standing because this exists?:

Hint: the "chestplates" look similar (source material).

Top Bottom