• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, what evidence actually convinces you the most that Ridley is playable? I know it all combined is causing some people to go all-or-nothing (and really, it's not like there's anything to lose as we're already the Smash community punching bags), but what's the one piece of evidence that convinces you more than the others?
Well, I think the shadow analyses, while probably not perfect accurate, are interesting to say the least, and the idea that Sakurai would tease Ridley being a boss... again... is a good point. But what I think what's really convinced me at this point are two things:

1.) How Sakurai teases newcomers and de-confirms characters. Sakurai's de-confirmations are quick and to the point. Absolutely no build up, he just outright says that a character is not playable. He seems to like avoiding unnecessary confusion, which makes sense, really. This idea is just further cemented by how after yesterday's trailer, Nintendo went out of their way to clarify that Chrom would not be playable (because the end of that trailer apparently didn't make Chrom's role clear enough). Why would they go out of their way to instantly confirm that Chrom would not be playable, but then just leave this whole Ridley issue, perhaps the most controversial topic in Smash, up in the air? Not only that, but Ridley hasn't even been mentioned since he was teased. Unless everyone is completely oblivious to Ridley's demand and controversy, I think they would have clarified what his role is if he isn't playable.

Aside from that, how Ridley has been teased (vaguely referenced, never mentioned by name, hinted at possibly not being playable) matches up with how previous newcomers have been teased (Palutena and Little Mac, specifically).

2.) How this "boss" acts. Smash bosses, both in Brawl and apparently in this game (if the Yellow Devil is any indication), follow a fairly basic pattern of either standing on one side of the stage doing nothing (allowing players the chance to attack), attacking from where they are, or moving to the other side of the stage, usually quickly and in such a way that causes damage to players. The Ridley we saw in the Direct moves so slowly that it's highly unlikely to cause damage, stops in the middle of the stage, goes to one end and then immediately turns around, and, most notably, doesn't attack within that large time frame. So, either this boss deviates from what almost every boss in Smash has ever done and is, frankly, a very poorly designed boss, or maybe he's not actually a boss.

Those two things are what really made me think that Ridley is likely going to be playable.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Thought I was the only person on this thread who wasn't supporting Ghirahim

Was getting annoyed about people jumping straight to him as a Zelda rep and ignoring characters like Fi, Vaati, Impa and even Pig Ganon. So I changed my forum pic to Vaati to show my support.
Haven't played much Four Swords games (I know, heretic) But my personal list of most-wanted Zelda characters goes Ganon, then Vaati, then Impa.

It annoys me a bit that everyone is clamoring for a rep from a one-time game. Even Impa is an extension of Skyward Sword; they want the ninja, not the old, wise sage.

Last edited:

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
Only argument I see would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpQRuIoL4Hs

But its just from another game. Can be easily countered by considering that Smash is on a whole other level when it comes to putting characters than just cameo appearances, I still have faith. So who knows what will happen. I will support Ridley until the day I die.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Also, since I'm gonna be busy today. I got a new request for all of you.

1. I would like any of you good at tile/banner making to create some cool banners to make the our proof post look pretty. In other words, nice looking banners to make the post organized and pretty. Purple, and featuring Ridley of course! For each submission I'll need the designer to send me all of the banners I request. I would prefer you message me them instead of post them here as it's easier to keep track of, as well as it makes it less "people's favorite" and more "what's best for the post. The format of each banner can be the same, (Same background/color scheme, Ridley, etc) I just need you to change the text. What I need is as follows.
    • The Ridley Evidence Thread!
    • General Evidence Thread
    • Shadow Evidence
    • Miscellaneous Theories
    • Ridley Art
  2. That's right! Ridley art! Rule is one submission per person. To make sure it's not too crowded. I'll only put 5 pieces of artwork in. And only one piece of art per artists. I would prefer for it not to be ship art (we don't want to scare them away until they're convinced ;) ) so just send me your best Ridley art.
  3. Ridley's too big

NatP

Smash Ace
I don't hate Ghirahim, but I think beast ganon is a cooler choice. I think I"d prefer him to impa, though.
What a ridley thread
I'm saying this as a big Skyward Sword fan who really liked Ghirahim: I have NO IDEA why people think he's going to be playable. Like, he's essentially the Zant of Skyward Sword and we all know how that turned out.

Here's my personal opinion on the trophy theory (if it's even a valid theory at all), Fi is actually supposed to represent a completely revamped Ganondorf, one that is finally faithful to Zelda. It'd fit in perfectly with the villain trailer too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

1. I would like any of you good at tile/banner making to create some cool banners to make the our proof post look pretty. In other words, nice looking banners to make the post organized and pretty. Purple, and featuring Ridley of course! For each submission I'll need the designer to send me all of the banners I request. I would prefer you message me them instead of post them here as it's easier to keep track of, as well as it makes it less "people's favorite" and more "what's best for the post. The format of each banner can be the same, (Same background/color scheme, Ridley, etc) I just need you to change the text. What I need is as follows.
    • The Ridley Evidence Thread!
    • General Evidence Thread
    • Shadow Evidence
    • Miscellaneous Theories
    • Ridley Art
  2. That's right! Ridley art! Rule is one submission per person. To make sure it's not too crowded. I'll only put 5 pieces of artwork in. And only one piece of art per artists. I would prefer for it not to be ship art (we don't want to scare them away until they're convinced ;) ) so just send me your best Ridley art.
  3. Ridley's too big

Done with my part of the fan art! (that rhymes)

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725

That's right! Ridley art! Rule is one submission per person. To make sure it's not too crowded. I'll only put 5 pieces of artwork in. And only one piece of art per artists. I would prefer for it not to be ship art (we don't want to scare them away until they're convinced ;) ) so just send me your best Ridley art.
Does a plush Ridley count? :p

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm saying this as a big Skyward Sword fan who really liked Ghirahim: I have NO IDEA why people think he's going to be playable. Like, he's essentially the Zant of Skyward Sword and we all know how that turned out.

Here's my personal opinion on the trophy theory (if it's even a valid theory at all), Fi is actually supposed to represent a completely revamped Ganondorf, one that is finally faithful to Zelda. It'd fit in perfectly with the villain trailer too.
The very best scenario I can imagine:

Ganondorf decloned, with a more faithful moveset.

Beast Ganon confirmed.

Black Shadow confirmed to take Ganondorf's old moveset.

Millions of children happy to play as Batman.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

This is my preferred idea. Ganondorf would count as a newcomer essentially, even though he's revamped. Now that Captain Falcon has been announced BEFORE release, I could really see Black Shadow being given an updated old Ganondorf moveset and Ganondorf would be in the villains trailer to "show us his NEW moves."

Anyway, I think a villains trailer would be epic.

Done with my part of the fan art! (that rhymes)
Badass Ridley.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is my preferred idea. Ganondorf would count as a newcomer essentially, even though he's revamped. Now that Captain Falcon has been announced BEFORE release, I could really see Black Shadow being given an updated old Ganondorf moveset and Ganondorf would be in the villains trailer to "show us his NEW moves."

Anyway, I think a villains trailer would be epic.

Badass Ridley.
Badassley confirmed

NatP

Smash Ace

Beast Ganon confirmed.

The Black Shadow would be so awesome. It'd be a perfect way to a get a quick and easy F-zero rep.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

Yeah, I really can't understand the Ghirahim hype. He's a fun character but by no means has he earned a place in Smash. I was dead certain for a while that Tingle was the only possibility for a Zelda newcomer, but revamped Ganondorf makes sense too. "Ganon" as a new separate character would feel kind of redundant, but I suppose if we already have two versions of Link and two versions of Zelda, might as well. Anyways, Ridley. I think he's playable guys. I really really do.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As long as they don't just DIRECT port Ganondorf's old moveset to Black Shadow, I think it'd work great. Black Shadow getting Ganondorf's old moveset would fit Black Shadow a lot better, as well, because Captain Falcon and Black Shadow are from the same franchise and the F-Zero games are all about racing, so they really don't have innate fighting capabilities and would need to have them created for them. Black Shadow should be altered enough so that the moveset fits him while still being reminiscent of Ganondorf's old moveset.

Yeah, I really can't understand the Ghirahim hype. He's a fun character but by no means has he earned a place in Smash. I was dead certain for a while that Tingle was the only possibility for a Zelda newcomer, but revamped Ganondorf makes sense too. "Ganon" as a new separate character would feel kind of redundant, but I suppose if we already have two versions of Link and two versions of Zelda, might as well. Anyways, Ridley. I think he's playable guys. I really really do.
If we get any new Zelda character, I think it'd be Impa, but I doubt Impa will be playable at this point. Instead I think Ganondorf will get a revamped moveset. Naturally I also believe Ridley is playable, I've been confident in this for months.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I get why people want Ghirahim, he is different to other lackys in Zelda and relevant compared to anyone else, unless you count a certain spoiler at the end of Skyward Sword, and the fact smash needs more villians

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Beast Ganon confirmed.

I thought I was the only one who thought Black Shadow looked like Batman.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
JESUS CHRIST GUYS STOP POSTING SO DANG FAST.

Jeez, it's almost impossible to catch up to this thread when there's a new page everytime you blink.

Not that it's a bad thing per se, but it's still pretty tiring. :p

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Now, the Trophy Theory.

During the April Nintendo Direct in 2014, four trophies were displayed. Tiki from Fire Emblem, Fi from The Legend of Zelda, Pseudo-Palutena from Kid Icarus, and King Kihunter from Metroid.

People have speculated these four trophies to hint towards four newcomers from the corresponding series. An example is this outdated image. Since then, Chrom has been disconfirmed while Lucina and Robin are newcomers.

Evidence for this theory comes not only from the confirmed newcomers Robin, Lucina and Palutena, but also from the relationships these trophy characters have to the confirmed and suggested characters.

Tiki is supposed to hint at Lucina and Robin, Pseudo-Palutena at Palutena, Fi at Ghirahim and possibly Demise, and King Kihunter at Ridley.

In Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tiki is a character that knew Marth, and mistakes Lucina for Marth; she is also a character that aids Robin and Lucina throughout the story. Robin and Lucina were later confirmed.

Pseudo-Palutena is a false version of Palutena and a boss in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and was later confirmed.

Fi is the counterpart to Ghirahim, being to Link what Ghirahim essentially is to Demise: a prominent helper, helping the other in achieving their goals, be it either saving the world or dooming it. She's supposed to hint towards Ghirahim being playable.

Finally, the King Kihunter Trophy hints towards Ridley. It's the Little Birdie's (Ridley's infant form's) screech that enrages the King Kihunter and causes it to attack Samus, which consequently causes Samus to kill it. It is then seen devouring the honey left by the King Kihunter, having used Samus' power to kill it for food. This is supposed to hint towards Ridley being a playable character.

Further support for this theory comes from the music played during these quizzes. During the quiz where Tiki was shown, the music "Id~Purpose" from Fire Emblem: Awakening played, which is a theme strongly linked to Robin's character. Robin was later confirmed, alongside Lucina.

The trophy of Fi had Ballad of Goddess, which is remixed with Ghirahim's theme on the Skyloft stage, further hinting towards Ghirahim.

The trophy of Pseudo-Palutena had The Return of Palutena playing. Palutena was later confirmed.

Finally, the trophy of King Kihunter had Ridley's theme from Other M playing. This strongly hints to Ridley.

With the evidence we have and what we have been provided, this theory is looking more and more likely by the day. If it is true, Ridley is extremely likely to appear as a playable character, alongside a Zelda newcomer.

@ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr Will this do? Took me a while.
So we are getting Furby Ridley? Oh boy....

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
GameXplain just made a TWENTY-SEVEN MINUTE DISCUSSION.
Just.
For.
Rayman's Trophy.
GAMEXPLAIN PLZ.
Why is this happening. XD

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I get why people want Ghirahim, he is different to other lackys in Zelda and relevant compared to anyone else, unless you count a certain spoiler at the end of Skyward Sword, and the fact smash needs more villians
I think what he meant is he doesn't get why people think Ghirahim will get in the game. He appeared in one game, but so did Zant, Midna, and Skull Kid; er, wait, I can't even say that because Skull Kid has now appeared in THREE different games.

Having random characters from various Zelda games is something for Hyrule Warriors, not Smash Bros. Sheik is in because Sakurai wanted to try something new with Zelda around the time of Ocarina of Time, but in future games didn't want to cut Sheik because of how popular Sheik was, so Sheik stayed. People have tried using Sheik, Lucas, and Ness to explain why Ghirahim has good chances to be playable, but these are completely different circumstances.

Point is, if Trophy Theory is anything to go by, we'll probably see a Ganondorf revamp, or if they mean a literal newcomer, then Impa, who actually appears in a central role throughout numerous games. In fact, I think Impa would be the BEST character for a Zelda Assist Trophy because of this... but we have a Zelda one-off character, Tingle (the next-most recurring character in the series), and Skull Kid, another recurring character.

I do believe Trophy Theory and Ridley is playable, but I don't believe we've got Ghirahim.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Why not Vaati? Just like Ridley had his background explained (if you see the Manga as canon), Vaati has his background explained in Minish cap. He appears in Four Swords which came bundled with the Legend of Zelda a Link to the past for GBA and a stand alone on the eStore/DSi Store, The Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube.

I think it's safe to say that most people were would prefer Ridley over the hunters that appear in only Metroid Prime Hunters (unless you count a certain cameo), yet when it comes to a Zelda rep some people easily forget about everyone but Ghirahim for some reason.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think what he meant is he doesn't get why people think Ghirahim will get in the game. He appeared in one game, but so did Zant, Midna, and Skull Kid; er, wait, I can't even say that because Skull Kid has now appeared in THREE different games.

Having random characters from various Zelda games is something for Hyrule Warriors, not Smash Bros. Sheik is in because Sakurai wanted to try something new with Zelda around the time of Ocarina of Time, but in future games didn't want to cut Sheik because of how popular Sheik was, so Sheik stayed. People have tried using Sheik, Lucas, and Ness to explain why Ghirahim has good chances to be playable, but these are completely different circumstances.

Point is, if Trophy Theory is anything to go by, we'll probably see a Ganondorf revamp, or if they mean a literal newcomer, then Impa, who actually appears in a central role throughout numerous games. In fact, I think Impa would be the BEST character for a Zelda Assist Trophy because of this... but we have a Zelda one-off character, Tingle (the next-most recurring character in the series), and Skull Kid, another recurring character.

I do believe Trophy Theory and Ridley is playable, but I don't believe we've got Ghirahim.
I don't really care for Ghirahim, but more Zelda newcomers wouldn't be bad in my eyes, so if the trophy theory is true, we are probably getting him

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Black shadow's b-move could be the orb that he throws at falcon (when blood falcon is born). He could be ganon with a projectile.

Black Shadow AND Ridley in one game?!? Oh... The dreams.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Why not Vaati? Just like Ridley had his background explain (if you see the Manga as canon), Vaati has his background explained in Minish cap. He appears in Four Swords which came bundled with the Legend of Zelda a Link to the past for GBA and a stand alone on the eStore/DSi Store, The Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube.

I think it's safe to say that most people were would prefer Ridley over the hunters that appear in only Metroid Prime Hunters (unless you count a certain cameo), yet when it comes to a Zelda rep some people easily forget about everyone but Ghirahim for some reason.
I don't care too much for any Zelda newcomer, but I would like seeing a new representer of Zelda, but I don't care who

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Alright.

I think I've got links to most everyone's requests for the OP (yes Phaazoid even Oasis is a goober)

I'm not writing stuff myself though. I got some requests for some of you people talented at wording things. I need someone to make (or link me to) an up to date version of the trophy theory after Lucina and Robin's reveal. I also need someone to make a post about Chrom's outright deconfirm with sources.

I also am awaiting @ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 's updated Shadow analysis with Megaman and a few touch ups.

IF all goes well, I should be able to have it done tonight
Oh i updated it it has megaman now

And important parts are bolded and font is bigger.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Why not Vaati? Just like Ridley had his background explained (if you see the Manga as canon), Vaati has his background explained in Minish cap. He appears in Four Swords which came bundled with the Legend of Zelda a Link to the past for GBA and a stand alone on the eStore/DSi Store, The Minish Cap and Four Swords Adventures for Gamecube.

Vaati I find unlikely because he hasn't appeared very recently, but I think he's MORE likely than Ghirahim, because at least Vaati is a recurring character.

Hey guys coro coro is gonna reveal the full roster for smash bros on 3ds next month, so we'll know next month for sure probably
Lol no. They "revealed" the entire roster for Brawl as well based on what I have heard. Supposedly, but they only revealed the characters already on the website.

D

Deleted member

Sometimes when I come here, I think I'm on the general character discussion thread...

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hey guys coro coro is gonna reveal the full roster for smash bros on 3ds next month, so we'll know next month for sure probably
They kept 4 Characters secret in the Brawl Corocoro roster reveal, so Ridley could be hidden.

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
Vaati I find unlikely because he hasn't appeared very recently, but I think he's MORE likely than Ghirahim, because at least Vaati is a recurring character.

Lol no. They "revealed" the entire roster for Brawl as well based on what I have heard. Supposedly, but they only revealed the characters already on the website.
ohhh my bad, sorry

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh i updated it it has megaman now

And important parts are bolded and font is bigger.
Yeah, the Mega Man one is VERY important. It gives us a very clear view of Mega Man's shadow and allows us to compare it to Ridley's.

They kept 4 Characters secret in the Brawl Corocoro roster reveal, so Ridley could be hidden.
Actually, from what I heard, all the characters were already on the website. What I'm betting is Corocoro will show the starting roster.

Top Bottom