• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Since I don't read every page I missed, I have to ask: What's this about a new OP?
ConOrr is gathering a bunch of arguments for Ridley's inclusion to put into the OP, if I'm correct.

So yeah, now would be a good time to repost your arguments and pics.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Since I don't read every page I missed, I have to ask: What's this about a new OP?
Oasis gave permission to edit the OP, which'll make it a lot easier than having to explain our basis every time a detractor shows up. We're adding in arguments, theories and newer size comparisons including shadow size comparisons, and whatnot.

Edit: :4greninja::4greninja:

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
That's the point, Ridley is in august because of the whole boss business, we're the few people on the entire interwbes that think something is up with that. Everyone is else "Lol in denial". In August, Ridley coinciding with the Metroid anniversary would blow people away.
Honestly minius the toobig trolls I've seen a lot of people come around to Ridley being playable. You never know with Sakurai though, I think Ridley being the final newcomer reveal would be fitting due to the meltdowns it will cause, but maybe we'll get TWO newcomer videos in August, it's hard to predict Samurai now, especially after yesterday.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Okay, am I the only one where who wishes (since it happened with FE) that Ridley alongside Nightmare would be revealed?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I wonder how Ridley would react to Roidley being playable and not him, would he abuse Roidley, say stuff like 'At least I was a good boss' or other harsh words? I would love to see someone do this! *looks at Andrea* Now now Andrea, put those mean stabby things away, I haven't named any ships other than Ridsalina

OK....but if you aren't careful, I could get you promptly shot....

Hmm,,,I wish I could draw that, but then again, blame my cousins...I need to get into the Assassin Ray and Ridley thing....because now, I can't think on anything silly with Roidley and Ridley.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I said I'd do it

so sparkley.PNG

*evil laughter*

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
It depends, is that made of steel or marshmallows?

Also everyone in this thread gets Roidley's black skin/armour thing
=____= Steel.......oh yeah, marshmallows are so sharp that they can cut your skin like an Xacto....

O___O when you said that...the image of Roidley without his skin....creepy...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I am not really complaining about Villager not getting a trailer. :p

Anyways, have you guys decided who will make the "mandatory" threads when Ridley is confirmed? Like the "I was wrong" thread, the "Will you main Ridley?" thread, etc. I want to make the "Will you main Ridley" one :p
Everyone, I call making the I was wrong thread. Even if someone here said this and I didn't read it, I override that.

I will start it by telling everyone how I still believe Ridley is actually a boss, and Sakurai's teasing hasn't ended yet, the trailer and spot on the website is a big ruse.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I would like to dedicate my post about posting posts on the regularly posted on Ridley post thread.

D

Deleted member

I believe the "I was wrong thread" should go for the user that has been for here for the longest time, so, who is the oldest(Smashboards age :p) user here?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If none of the pictures on Ridley's official page have any sort reference to the Mother Brain or Dark Samus Assist Trophies, I will start a riot.

Nah, I'm only kidding. But I would still be upset.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I believe the "I was wrong thread" should go for the user that has been for here for the longest time, so, who is the oldest(Smashboards age :p) user here?
Oasis is older than me but he got the official thread

Other than that I think Anomilus is older but I'm here more

I'm older than ismar

DONT TAKE THIS FROM ME

You took a shower since then.
You're getting dangerously close to a separate "I was wrong" thread

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
So, what evidence actually convinces you the most that Ridley is playable? I know it all combined is causing some people to go all-or-nothing (and really, it's not like there's anything to lose as we're already the Smash community punching bags), but what's the one piece of evidence that convinces you more than the others?

I don't put much stock in shadow analysis or theories, myself.

The most convincing thing for me was when Majora brought up that it made no sense for Sakurai to be hyping up Stage Hazardley, and then explained why. Also, by the way, I believe that absolutely deserves to be put into the OP, @ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr

(Here)

Well that's not so much what I mean.

It's the entire notion of Sakurai teasing Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere. This means that he is expecting newfound excitement in three things:

1) He is expecting new excitement from something which has literally been done in a different fighting game. Ridley was a boss / hazard on this exact stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions.
2) He is expecting new excitement from a character being in their standard role. Ridley has never been playable before. He was even a boss in the last Smash Bros. game. This is literally going, "Nothing's new! Exciting, huh? HUH??"
3) Sakurai must know boss hazards are not full grade boss battles. They are basically stage hazards you attack. So this is Sakurai teasing a character to be in a DOWNGRADED version of their normal role.
4) The entire notion of Ridley being a boss on that stage means he is a slow, small boss on a stage ten times his size. That's not pointing to good design.
5) Ridley is the only boss to receive this treatment. Dark Emperor and Yellow Devil were explicitly shown and had attention brought to them as soon as their stages were revealed. With Pyrosphere, we had to wait eight months to get a brief shadow and no further acknowledgement.

SO this would mean... that Sakurai is hyping up ONLY one boss, namely the one people frequently request to be playable. He is also hyping up a boss that in concept is poorly designed, is nothing new, and is an objective downgrade from his previous roles.

That entire notion literally does not make sense at any point.

Sure it's *POSSIBLE* that this is the outcome we get. But if it is, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed in Sakurai, and not even because he didn't make Ridley playable.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm the king of I was wrong threads because in the brawl era I had the official Charizard for brawl thread, which later turned into the I was wrong thread for that

It was glorious

Besides I'm the only person here sarcastic enough to run it

you know it's true

D

Deleted member

If there is a pic of Ridley with a poison mushroom fighting a Super-Mushroom Olimar I'm going to be so happy

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So, what evidence actually convinces you the most that Ridley is playable?
Sakurai being very hesitant about revealing any information pertaining to our Great Purple God of Death, along with the fact that he had stated he does not want to let people get their hopes up only to pull that hope away from them (a sentiment he has demonstrated numerous times, but everyone and their mother knows that already).
Really, those two combined already seal the deal for me. Unless for some backwards reason he is hyping Ridley's bossdom, which sounds like a very very silly thing to do with one of the most requested characters.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sakurai being very hesitant about revealing any information pertaining to our Great Purple God of Death, along with the fact that he had stated he does not want to let people get their hopes up only to pull that hope away from them (a sentiment he has demonstrated numerous times, but everyone and their mother knows that already).
Really, those two combined already seal the deal for me. Unless for some backwards reason he is hyping Ridley's bossdom, which sounds like a very very silly thing to do with one of the most requested characters.
I don't recognize this guy but I like him

Here, have some water

its on me

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I like this, except for Ghirahim.

But hey, at least this is a well-reasoned argument for Ridley.
Thought I was the only person on this thread who wasn't supporting Ghirahim

Was getting annoyed about people jumping straight to him as a Zelda rep and ignoring characters like Fi, Vaati, Impa and even Pig Ganon. So I changed my forum pic to Vaati to show my support.

Though I guess I'm a hypocrite for jumping straight to Ridley out of the Metroid reps, but in my defence no one else is as fleshed out as Ridley, or appears as much that could be playable, apart from maybe the generic space pirates.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
By the way, I think @ AustarusIV AustarusIV ; should get the honor to make the Ridley Social thread, since he seems to be the biggest Ridley supporter in this thread. No pun intended and no offense to any of the various other Ridley supporters.
I think that's a hard thing to scale

'specially since some people have been here since pre brawl

not that I want that thread, or am necessarily disagreeing, or saying he's not a huge awesome or one of the biggest fans

but that's a hard definitive claim to make

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Now, the Trophy Theory.

During the April Nintendo Direct in 2014, four trophies were displayed. Tiki from Fire Emblem, Fi from The Legend of Zelda, Pseudo-Palutena from Kid Icarus, and King Kihunter from Metroid.

People have speculated these four trophies to hint towards four newcomers from the corresponding series. An example is this outdated image. Since then, Chrom has been disconfirmed while Lucina and Robin are newcomers.

Evidence for this theory comes not only from the confirmed newcomers Robin, Lucina and Palutena, but also from the relationships these trophy characters have to the confirmed and suggested characters.

Tiki is supposed to hint at Lucina and Robin, Pseudo-Palutena at Palutena, Fi at Ghirahim and possibly Demise, and King Kihunter at Ridley.

In Fire Emblem: Awakening, Tiki is a character that knew Marth, and mistakes Lucina for Marth; she is also a character that aids Robin and Lucina throughout the story. Robin and Lucina were later confirmed.

Pseudo-Palutena is a false version of Palutena and a boss in Kid Icarus: Uprising, and was later confirmed.

Fi is the counterpart to Ghirahim, being to Link what Ghirahim essentially is to Demise: a prominent helper, helping the other in achieving their goals, be it either saving the world or dooming it. She's supposed to hint towards Ghirahim being playable.

Finally, the King Kihunter Trophy hints towards Ridley. It's the Little Birdie's (Ridley's infant form's) screech that enrages the King Kihunter and causes it to attack Samus, which consequently causes Samus to kill it. It is then seen devouring the honey left by the King Kihunter, having used Samus' power to kill it for food. This is supposed to hint towards Ridley being a playable character.

Further support for this theory comes from the music played during these quizzes. During the quiz where Tiki was shown, the music "Id~Purpose" from Fire Emblem: Awakening played, which is a theme strongly linked to Robin's character. Robin was later confirmed, alongside Lucina.

The trophy of Fi had Ballad of Goddess, which is remixed with Ghirahim's theme on the Skyloft stage, further hinting towards Ghirahim.

The trophy of Pseudo-Palutena had The Return of Palutena playing. Palutena was later confirmed.

Finally, the trophy of King Kihunter had Ridley's theme from Other M playing. This strongly hints to Ridley.

With the evidence we have and what we have been provided, this theory is looking more and more likely by the day. If it is true, Ridley is extremely likely to appear as a playable character, alongside a Zelda newcomer.

@ Con0rrrr Con0rrrr Will this do? Took me a while.
Phenomenal!

Also, to clear up some confusion. I own the SECOND post on here. Not the OP. It will have to do. But it's still a great and easy to find place to send detractors

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Also I'm already mad because I know if Ridley is confirmed I'm totally gonna be waaayyyy to ecstatic to remember to make the I was wrong thread. And the announcement will be so big that Smashboards will go down, and by the time it's up I'll forget to make it again.

blargh I need some water

Did you just...?
I always

yes

Last edited:
Top Bottom