• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
lol. The picture you're using to try to prove that Ridley could be playable features text referring to him as a boss character.
To reiterate the whole "boss character" thing:

Phosphora was confirmed as a trophy, yet was shown as an Assist Trophy later. We shouldn't take Sakurai so literally.
Magical.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I believe the leak 100%, there is just nothing that points to it being all the newcomers
That is, unless you ignore every bit of evidence towards other potential newcomers, claiming that all of it can potentially mean nothing, and that therefore it means nothing.

But as long as you don't do that, there is a fair amount of evidence that hints towards the playability of characters beyond those leaked by Gematsu.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what do you think are the chances of like Rundas or another hunter as a metroid representative?
Probably not great. Aside from Ridley and Samus, other characters only have track records of 3 or 4 games. Rundas has even less than that, being as recurring as any hunter from Prime 3 or Prime Hunters. Or Adam. Or whoever.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
This is actually more likely an artistic example of juxtaposition; the fact that one element is not directly implicative of the other, that multiple elements appear at first glace to be related, but on second look are clearly soon to no causal links, resulting a greater and more triumphant cadence in the conclusion.
So, if you don't believe it, then it's not true? Even if it's plain as day right in front of your face. Interesting...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hey guys, what do you think are the chances of like Rundas or another hunter as a metroid representative?
0%. They're practically unknown to the Nintendo fanbase at large, and they wouldn't even be hype-inducing to most of the Metroid fans.

The only Metroid characters who have a reasonable shot at getting in Smash are Ridley and Dark Samus, but the latter was already confirmed to be an AT (the hell...?) for this game.

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
its not just character wise, like theres so many possibilities when it comes to stages too, like imagine a bad ass stage based in phendrana drifts or phazon mines, or sanctuary fortress? Im tired of the generic metroid stage with lava

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
They should do a whole lot more research on these things then. I don't think anyone's going to them for their opinions, people expect them to be a news outlet and to share info from all around the web. Instead they are doing baseless speculation that was either already argued or debunked months ago, and taking it as fact.

It's not just that video, it's a lot of their Smash videos. It's poor journalism on their part and I don't think I'm wrong for expecting just a little more time spent gathering information and facts instead of how much time they spend to make the video look and sound pretty (though I do appreciate that).

I love GX, but they've really dropped the ball on Smash videos lately.
Except they make it quite clear where they outline what is opinion and what is fact, they don't mix the two and know when to differentiate with that. The videos in particular where they do speculate are highlighted as something they give their thoughts on, not something that is official news and facts. Plus, they do about the same amount of research we do with our characters, they talk about the details in certain pictures and videos, they talk about what it could mean, and they talk about possibilities that could become of them. For instance, take the Palutena video, that remarked on every move that Palutena did, gave their reasoning for why they felt those moves would work a certain way, but still pointed out that it's not for certain and things could be different then what they thought. That is research, that's taking time and analyzing what's been given and stating their personal hypothesis. Really, the only thing they're guilty of in that video is paying more attention to one certain angle, but even then it's not like the other angles weren't given attention, again by talking about other possibilities that could happen.

Also, what's been debunked in that video? Sceptile, while it has its faults, isn't exactly impossible and they don't place it as a frontrunner, the Gematsu leak is quite accepted in the community and, while I hate to admit it, does have its points for why it could be it (key word here being could) for the newcomers, they highlighted that Mewtwo could still happen, so on and so forth. Also, as mentioned before, none of that is given as absolute fact, but rather what they thought. So despite the faults the video has, it using outdated debates doesn't seem to be one of them.

Also, considering that they get a large viewcount from those speculation videos, I'd say that at least someone out there pays attention to their thoughts.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
its not just character wise, like theres so many possibilities when it comes to stages too, like imagine a bad *** stage based in phendrana drifts or phazon mines, or sanctuary fortress? Im tired of the generic metroid stage with lava
Well, i first think about it character wise, then about stages. Anyway, i agree that Metroid needs more stages without lava. Or acid. Or poisonous water. Or anything that looks like liquid and damages something somehow. It makes meteor smashes or whatever they are called useless. I think the only Metroid stages that must have such hazard are Norfair, Pyrosphere and maybe Brinstar...oh...right...
At least Metroid got few new assist trophies and one of them is Dark Samus, which kinda already was in Brawl, but now it can be used in event matches, like Andross was. And Mother Brain...still, i would prefer it to be playable, but not before Ridley.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah. While Star Fox gets a 3rd character who is also a clone of other 2 characters of this franchise and has LANDMASTAH as a Final Smash again, Metroid gets Samus again (in Brawl, not Smash 4). Why did they added ZSS?
Because Sakurai wanted more female representation, no joke. He thought ZSS was enough to fulfill the female newcomer quota for Brawl.

Are you sure about that?

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
GameXplain's new video really pissed me off. They really don't know much about the leaks or the evidence brought up on boards on these. And with such a huge voice like them, I expected them to do their research. But no, they completely ignored that Gematsu is not EVERY newcomer, in fact they said that he has not missed one, when he did miss Rosalina. So they think that these are all the characters.

There's so many other things that they do sometimes including show more Brawl elitism and shun the competitive community sometimes. It is just bad journalism straight and to the point. While I love almost all of their content, their Smash Analysis's and discussions have not been very good at all and with a voice like there's, is sending a bad message to the community.
I think what's really hurting them is something Ash said "Gematsu should be treated as Gospel" if you compare their previous analysis, before Ash was around they hardly ever brought it up. I think Ash is the one more involved with researching the competitive side of Smash because they've always been more casual players, and there is nothing wrong with that. We shouldn't call it bad journalism the fact that they're not in the competitive scene. I barely knew Smashboards existed until a few months back, and I would always be reading up on every article I could find related to Smash. We can't expect someone uninvolved with these type of forums to know everything related to it.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Except they make it quite clear where they outline what is opinion and what is fact, they don't mix the two and know when to differentiate with that. The videos in particular where they do speculate are highlighted as something they give their thoughts on, not something that is official news and facts. Plus, they do about the same amount of research we do with our characters, they talk about the details in certain pictures and videos, they talk about what it could mean, and they talk about possibilities that could become of them. For instance, take the Palutena video, that remarked on every move that Palutena did, gave their reasoning for why they felt those moves would work a certain way, but still pointed out that it's not for certain and things could be different then what they thought. That is research, that's taking time and analyzing what's been given and stating their personal hypothesis. Really, the only thing they're guilty of in that video is paying more attention to one certain angle, but even then it's not like the other angles weren't given attention, again by talking about other possibilities that could happen.

Also, what's been debunked in that video? Sceptile, while it has its faults, isn't exactly impossible and they don't place it as a frontrunner, the Gematsu leak is quite accepted in the community and, while I hate to admit it, does have its points for why it could be it (key word here being could) for the newcomers, they highlighted that Mewtwo could still happen, so on and so forth. Also, as mentioned before, none of that is given as absolute fact, but rather what they thought. So despite the faults the video has, it using outdated debates doesn't seem to be one of them.

Also, considering that they get a large viewcount from those speculation videos, I'd say that at least someone out there pays attention to their thoughts.
A lot of their speculation is plain wrong though, and it's not just like they think it may be wrong. A lot of things they are so sure about are blatantly wrong. They've done good research on most of their games, but for Smash they have either been looking in the wrong places, or have been not putting enough work in. It's just annoying how GX is not in the loop, when their job IS to keep people in the loop. That is why I'm calling their video subpar recently. How could they mention Sceptile, but fail mention the countless reasons Ridley is extremely likely to be playable?!

That is why I am not okay with GX's content lately.

I think what's really hurting them is something Ash said "Gematsu should be treated as Gospel" if you compare their previous analysis, before Ash was around they hardly ever brought it up. I think Ash is the one more involved with researching the competitive side of Smash because they've always been more casual players, and there is nothing wrong with that. We shouldn't call it bad journalism the fact that they're not in the competitive scene. I barely knew Smashboards existed until a few months back, and I would always be reading up on every article I could find related to Smash. We can't expect someone uninvolved with these type of forums to know everything related to it.
But that's your job as a journalist. Especially one in such a niche spectrum. It is to be involved and do their research in many cases.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This upcoming reveal confirms extra newcomers besides Gematsu for me. Only 2 hidden characters? Nothing in August? Yeah I doubt that.

Ridley is coming! But will probably be unfortunately hidden since Gematsu appears to be the characters revealed before release.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because Sakurai wanted more female representation, no joke. He thought ZSS was enough to fulfill the female newcomer quota for Brawl.
...Then why not add...um...Dark Sam- wait, its doesn`t counts...Mewtw- oh, its not a species...then...at least someone who is not a a 4th Star Fox clone (or just a clone because they are pointless unless they are really different and im not saying that said character MUST be a clone - he could have been a clone, like Lucas or Wolf), or a 2nd Samus, but without something very important to Metroid (Samus` suit).

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
A lot of their speculation is plain wrong though, and it's not just like they think it may be wrong. A lot of things they are so sure about are blatantly wrong. They've done good research on most of their games, but for Smash they have either been looking in the wrong places, or have been not putting enough work in. It's just annoying how GX is not in the loop, when their job IS to keep people in the loop. That is why I'm calling their video subpar recently. How could they mention Sceptile, but fail mention the countless reasons Ridley is extremely likely to be playable?!

That is why I am not okay with GX's content lately.

But that's your job as a journalist. Especially one in such a niche spectrum. It is to be involved and do their research in many cases.
Ya I have just stopped watching Gamexplain's discussions and analyses now. They used to bring up interesting points about the game and potential characters but now I feel as though all their info is a day late and a dollar short. It pisses me off too that they are out of the loop when their job is to keep people in the loop about smash news.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Geez, the reason I'm so depressed today and about the Monday character reveal is BECAUSE I listened to that ****ing GameExplain video. I'm just going to ignore GameExplain's Smash Bros. analyses' until further notice (namely, when Gematsu is proven not to be the entire roster, or better yet, when Ridley is announced).

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I see your point, but I disagree. I seriously doubt they studied journalism to expect them to be professional, they're a youtube channel that does discussion and speculation. If they are professionals by all means prove me wrong since I'm only speaking from what I've seen in their videos.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, if you don't believe it, then it's not true? Even if it's plain as day right in front of your face. Interesting...
Guess I just consider Sakurai's choices to be an expression of art?
It has nothing to do with belief or disbelief, rather, moreso, the study of psychology and the study of artistic interpretation. Both are in fact incredibly subjective, true, but saying that a screen which shows ridley is a boss is just objectively inaccurate, because it not only does not show Ridley (which you may say is just a formality, but there is quite a bit of a Choice in the fact that they actively did not show his physical-digital body) but it does not at all link the statement to what is in fact not shown.
There is a lot of intentional ambiguity about how it was stated, and that is something that cannot be argued. What it means could be questionable, but the fact they they were all choices made- unobjectionable.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The worst part is, it already has. :rosalina:
The general belief is that Rosalina was announced "between" leaks. Honestly, all signs for me point to Ridley being playable, but I can't talk about it anywhere except Smashboards because I get flamed to death for it. Funny thing is its the exact same thing I got for questioning Chrom by explaining how much I thought Ike was coming back. In order to prove officially Gematsu isn't everything, we need someone else in addition to Rosalina. Ridley would be perfect for that.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
The general belief is that Rosalina was announced "between" leaks. Honestly, all signs for me point to Ridley being playable, but I can't talk about it anywhere except Smashboards because I get flamed to death for it. Funny thing is its the exact same thing I got for questioning Chrom by explaining how much I thought Ike was coming back. In order to prove officially Gematsu isn't everything, we need someone else in addition to Rosalina. Ridley would be perfect for that.
Try leaving a comment on the BitBlock, the most casual people on this earth, about Ridley. They will devour your soul before you even explain.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
It just sucks how under represented metroid is :(
With the splitting of ZSS/Samus we now have 2 spots taken up on the character select. :awesome: Yet, it would feel so empty and wrong just seeing 2 versions of Samus there....and without the long awaited main antagonist who really should've been the second slot.

I still don't understand it, Fire Emblem had more than one rep before Metroid before it was even a western franchise.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
And yet you're not giving me examples, you're just saying "they're wrong" but not supporting yourself. How can I see your point if you're not going to give me reasons why that it stands?

As for Ridley, aside from the fact that it's a highly contentious issue that they would probably like to avoid, the situation doesn't exactly make him 99% likely. We still have to consider the context of the reveal (which, no matter the argument, does hurt him), we have to consider that despite the potential size Sakurai still could've made him that small, we have to consider potential flaws in the analysis such as the difference in angles and light sources, and we have to consider that Sakurai could easily not be making more out of the situation and is just building him up to be a boss (which isn't impossible considering he has done things like that). There are points to argue, and the former point in particular does greatly put him in a rough spot as it does greatly imply that he is a boss. We can hope that it's a red herring, but that red herring is still going to haunt him until we have confirmation either way. I want Ridley, but I'm not going to pretend that everything is going his way with that issue.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
With the splitting of ZSS/Samus we now have 2 spots taken up on the character select. :awesome: Yet, it would feel so empty and wrong just seeing 2 versions of Samus there....and without the long awaited main antagonist who really should've been the second slot.

I still don't understand it, Fire Emblem had more than one rep before Metroid before it was even a western franchise.
I can understand it, Ridley is a very difficult character to program and Metroid isn't a character-based franchise. The only logical second Metroid pick was Ridley, but Sakurai wasn't sure how Ridley would work as a playable in past games. Just like Pac-Man, Villager, and other characters.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
This upcoming reveal confirms extra newcomers besides Gematsu for me. Only 2 hidden characters? Nothing in August? Yeah I doubt that.

Ridley is coming! But will probably be unfortunately hidden since Gematsu appears to be the characters revealed before release.
:rosalina:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Well, Sakuai's left him there for almost a year. He had to have taken out his inevitable anger on something.

EDIT: Here's something.

You guys should subscribe to Alax, he does great videos.
Also, I came back to these Megaman screen shots which are really, REALLY good. Are we sure it's normal Pyrosphere and not FD version?

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Man catching up on Ridley is always rough after work, also i'm surprised those Megaman screenshots are just now coming to light on here, we are better then this, lol

majora_787

Smash Hero
I still can't get over how people haven't realized the vast number of problems with one person leaking details in several parts from the same game. It's like somehow that's just not at all out of the ordinary for this one leak.

Like Ridley, Gematsu is the one leak that abides by ZERO unspoken rules of smash leaks :troll: If it's suspicious, it's "Yeah but". If it's wrong, it's "Yeah but". If it gets lucky, it's "Yeah but". Gematsu is literally the anti-Ridley.

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
So what model do you think they would use if Ridley was playble? Im actually hoping for the meta ridley model from metroid prime

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It would most likely be Other M's Ridley to be consistent with Samus and Pyrosphere. Though a Meta Ridley retexture isn't out of the question and would be pretty awesome.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I can understand it, Ridley is a very difficult character to program and Metroid isn't a character-based franchise. The only logical second Metroid pick was Ridley, but Sakurai wasn't sure how Ridley would work as a playable in past games. Just like Pac-Man, Villager, and other characters.
Very well stated.
The fact, however, that we have seen those characters, and that Sakurai has even aknowledged the difficulties Ridley posed (size) amongst difficulties others posed (Ice Climbers/Rosalina), definitely poses a possible benefit to him, as well, though. He has yet to post to us a difficulty that has caused him 'failure.'

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So what model do you think they would us if Ridley was playble? Im actually hoping for the meta ridley model from metroid prime
1. Meta Ridley wouldn`t work from that game because of dem wings.
2. Its Other M model or at least similar one. It was confirmed already.
Edit::4greninja:`d

Last edited:

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Someone commenting on my Ridley speculation video is trying to tell me that Ridely is deconfimed because he can tell from 8 second clip that he will be overpowered. I and refused to accepted that fact 8 second of a character's shadow is not enough to tell anything about a character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKzGCJI90E4
can someone please help me explain this to him.
I don't know if he was serious or sarcastic, but I think I handled it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
People and their "overpowered". That's why people should just stop saying "overpowered" or "underpowered" out of actual experienced context. There's just no way to do it without sounding kind of dumb. Rosalina's final smash? Tons of people got to play the demo and see it was barely usable. Ridley? We have an eleven second clip with a jump and 5-6 seconds of hovering and horizontal flight with no mechanical explanation, context, or actual visual on the events taking place.

Top Bottom