• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

Who is Shokio?
"Toobigot" #1, essentially.

He's made a number of Youtube videos all about how Ridley is "too big" and how he was completely disconfirmed in the April Direct.

I'm assuming that your comment wasn't sarcastic and that you actually don't know who he is.

Anyways:
I hope you don't come to think that all of us are extreme close-minded cultists who like to attack those that don't agree with our views (from a playable Ridley standpoint).

As you can easily infer we get assaulted with the "Too Big" argument on a fairly consistent basis. As such we have addressed it a number of times, so some of us may seem a little...abrasive, to say the least whenever people throw the phrase "Ridley's too big" around in a matter-of-fact way.

But as long as you are open to debate (unlike people like Shokio; the actual "Toobigots") you're okay in my book. I understand that everyone may have their own opinions and I respect that.

You play nice and we'll play nice (at least I will) back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Essentially, Ridley fans have been mocked since pre-Brawl.

That amount of time has made the fanbase stubborn in both good and bad ways.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I've always wanted Ridley in, but I never played Smash Bros untill a year after Brawl's release.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I never cared much for Ridley, even though I was a huge metroid fan. I always assumed he was too big lol. But I thought he would be cool playable.

Then the shadow evidence happened and it tipped me over. There is no way he could not be playable after that. And then I saw the moveset potential and bam, im a fan

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I've always wanted Ridley in, but I never played Smash Bros untill a year after Brawl's release.
What?! You missed out on the N64 and Gamecube era Smash games, those were the BEST! Not sure how fun they'll be now but at the time they were.. wow..

PS Mewtwo is the one I want in, but second to him is definitely Ridley.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Sonic was the only character I ever really wanted, other than various Pokemon. Until I first played Zero Mission that is. Now I REALLY want Ridley.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Fortunately, I am an unbiased newbie supporter, untainted by Brawl disappointment!
I'm with you there. I was kind of young when Brawl came out and didn't think much about characters that could have, or should have, made it in (apart from Mewtwo; I was upset about that). I can't imagine what it must have been like for Brawl Ridley fans...

At least Ridley has another chance this time around, and with more support than ever before.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
What?! You missed out on the N64 and Gamecube era Smash games, those were the BEST! Not sure how fun they'll be now but at the time they were.. wow..

PS Mewtwo is the one I want in, but second to him is definitely Ridley.
I own them, I just didn't play them when they were new.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Other than Ridley,
You know who I wanted playable?
Metal Mario.
ButthentheMetalBoxhappenedandmydreamswereruined.
Rest in Pieces, N64 Boss, The Legendary Metal Mario.
"All I wanted was a World without other Metal Characters." ~Metal Mario, Super Smash Bros. Melee
Let's hope Ridley doesn't meet the same fate as Metal Mario and Kamek.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Other than Ridley,
You know who I wanted playable?
Metal Mario.
ButthentheMetalBoxhappenedandmydreamswereruined.
Rest in Pieces, N64 Boss, The Legendary Metal Mario.
"All I wanted was a World without other Metal Characters." ~Metal Mario, Super Smash Bros. Melee
Let's hope Ridley doesn't meet the same fate as Metal Mario and Kamek.
There is still hope for pink gold peach

believe

I always wanted Kirby as a playable character.
I've always wanted Samus. Samus is a pretty cool character. You could say Samusrules 93

Last edited:

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Fortunately, I am an unbiased newbie supporter, untainted by Brawl disappointment!
I am as well.
Made me chuckle.
:surprised:It returns...
Good work detective.:awesome:
"B-But Chef Ramsy hasn't been in a video game before! That can't be real! I'm calling it fake!"
"He can if you believe!"
Roy hadn't been in a game before Melee, did that stop him? :troll:
But Roy had TEH PHIR3!! (Sorry...)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hm...Sakurai...Nintendo...Newcomer...Yellow Devil...Pyrosphere...S-A-K-U-R-A-I, N-I-N-T-E-N-D-O, Y-E-L-L-O-W, N-E-W-C-O-M-E-R, P-Y-R-O-S-P-H-E-R-E...R-I-D-L-E-Y..Ridley confirmed. Now we can be 105% sure that Ridley is a playable character.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Hm...Sakurai...Nintendo...Newcomer...Yellow Devil...Pyrosphere...S-A-K-U-R-A-I, N-I-N-T-E-N-D-O, Y-E-L-L-O-W, N-E-W-C-O-M-E-R, P-Y-R-O-S-P-H-E-R-E...R-I-D-L-E-Y..Ridley confirmed. Now we can be 105% sure that Ridley is a playable character.
http://www.idolol.com/pictures/b2f83c409ce63012229fb9cd465bdcfe.jpg[/IMG]

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
I really wanted Dark Samus to be playable, but nope, she's an assist trophy :( I really want ridley to be playable, and i even play a hacked brawl with a mod of him and he isnt really that big, but then again it is sakurai and size is up to him :\

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
GameXplain's new video really pissed me off. They really don't know much about the leaks or the evidence brought up on boards on these. And with such a huge voice like them, I expected them to do their research. But no, they completely ignored that Gematsu is not EVERY newcomer, in fact they said that he has not missed one, when he did miss Rosalina. So they think that these are all the characters.

There's so many other things that they do sometimes including show more Brawl elitism and shun the competitive community sometimes. It is just bad journalism straight and to the point. While I love almost all of their content, their Smash Analysis's and discussions have not been very good at all and with a voice like there's, is sending a bad message to the community.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Will someone catch me up on where this thread has been since the reveal of monday's character? I am skimming, and am trying not to get drawn back into the size argument, because everyone knows girth is important but personality matters more.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
GameXplain's new video really pissed me off. They really don't know much about the leaks or the evidence brought up on boards on these. And with such a huge voice like them, I expected them to do their research. But no, they completely ignored that Gematsu is not EVERY newcomer, in fact they said that he has not missed one, when he did miss Rosalina. So they think that these are all the characters.
They said that they felt it was more then likely the only characters left, not that they were 100% sure they were the only ones, otherwise they wouldn't even have mentioned characters like Sceptile. Plus, the thing about that video is it's supposed to be speculation on their part, they know that they can be wrong and do use phrases like "I think" or "this could/could not happen" to emphasize that. So they're not trying to be definite, they're trying to give their thoughts, and while I don't agree with them on some things, this is not a case where they were completely dismissing one potential scenario.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
To reiterate the whole "boss character" thing:

Phosphora was confirmed as a trophy, yet was shown as an Assist Trophy later. We shouldn't take Sakurai so literally.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
They said that they felt it was more then likely the only characters left, not that they were 100% sure they were the only ones, otherwise they wouldn't even have mentioned characters like Sceptile. Plus, the thing about that video is it's supposed to be speculation on their part, they know that they can be wrong and do use phrases like "I think" or "this could/could not happen." There's nothing in that video that jumped out to me as saying that they felt there was absolutely no chance of other characters.
They should do a whole lot more research on these things then. I don't think anyone's going to them for their opinions, people expect them to be a news outlet and to share info from all around the web. Instead they are doing baseless speculation that was either already argued or debunked months ago, and taking it as fact.

It's not just that video, it's a lot of their Smash videos. It's poor journalism on their part and I don't think I'm wrong for expecting just a little more time spent gathering information and facts instead of how much time they spend to make the video look and sound pretty (though I do appreciate that).

I love GX, but they've really dropped the ball on Smash videos lately.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
To reiterate the whole "boss character" thing:

Phosphora was confirmed as a trophy, yet was shown as an Assist Trophy later. We shouldn't take Sakurai so literally.
What's this?
ACTUAL SENSE!?
GET OUTTA HERE, YOU DON'T BELO-Oh, wait, this isn't Miiverse.
Huzzah for actual sense.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
lol. The picture you're using to try to prove that Ridley could be playable features text referring to him as a boss character.
This is actually more likely an artistic example of juxtaposition; the fact that one element is not directly implicative of the other, that multiple elements appear at first glace to be related, but on second look are clearly seen to have no causal links, resulting a greater and more triumphant cadence in the conclusion.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

There's so many other things that they do sometimes including show more Brawl elitism and shun the competitive community sometimes. It is just bad journalism straight and to the point. While I love almost all of their content, their Smash Analysis's and discussions have not been very good at all and with a voice like there's, is sending a bad message to the community.
Honestly the further people are to the pro-Gematsu side of things, the less I want to talk to them and the less credible I find them to be. "It might get Shulk and/or Chorus Beavers right" is tolerable but once it gets into "It's definitely 500% legitimate and it is ALL NEWCOMERS" I start having a problem. :\

Like, if you want people to take you seriously it is a GREAT idea to not immediately buy into an extremely sketchy "leak" all the way and use it to judicate everyone else around you. I'm just saying

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Honestly the further people are to the pro-Gematsu side of things, the less I want to talk to them and the less credible I find them to be. "It might get Shulk and/or Chorus Beavers right" is tolerable but once it gets into "It's definitely 500% legitimate and it is ALL NEWCOMERS" I start having a problem. :\

Like, if you want people to take you seriously it is a GREAT idea to not immediately buy into an extremely sketchy "leak" all the way and use it to judicate everyone else around you. I'm just saying
I believe the leak 100%, there is just nothing that points to it being all the newcomers

Top Bottom