• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I just noticed that the DoA version of Ridley and Other M Ridley are slightly different.
Look at the tails.

Out of curiosity, fellow 3D-model players, would you happen to have access to the DoA Ridley?
Because the tail shadow here is rather straight...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well, this thread may be a little slow. Would that be alright? *laughs*
Y'know, as old and irrelevant as the quote is, Sakurai did seem to show some intent on making him playable. He could've just dropped it at "He'd be pretty impossible", but he went on to say it would be possible if he worked at it and even speculated how he'd work.

Like I said, though, old and irrelevant.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Y'know, as old and irrelevant as the quote is, Sakurai did seem to show some intent on making him playable. He could've just dropped it at "He'd be pretty impossible", but he went on to say it would be possible if he worked at it and even speculated how he'd work.

Well, Ridley in the Direct was moving at a pretty sluggish pace...

D

Deleted member

Well not sure how his design is going to look like

But mr sakurai will probably improve the roidley model.
I want my Roidley to have a visible six pack this time around, he's all muscular with definition in other areas but you can't see his abs too well.

Roidley also needs to stop skipping leg day and work on his traps a little bit too.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This thread has been moving uncharacteristically slow. Uhhhh...

:emptysheep:
Well, the K. Rool thread has been pretty slow for a long time as well. Far slower than Ridley. Until we get some DK-related updates, that is, in which case we finally start to see brief speed increases temporarily.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Yeah, I honestly think if nothing else that he has at least tried to make him work this time around, no way he wouldn't at least try and flesh out the idea with such a big outcry for him, and he certainly did seem a little intrigued by the idea. I'm not saying he actually went on to try and directly implement Ridley in the game as a character, but I would be surprised if he didn't at least get to the conceptual phase before giving up on him.

I just noticed that the DoA version of Ridley and Other M Ridley are slightly different.
Look at the tails.

Out of curiosity, fellow 3D-model players, would you happen to have access to the DoA Ridley?
Because the tail shadow here is rather straight...
No one except big-time hackers have access to 3DS models yet, and even then they need to be converted into a proper format which we can't do yet either. It's really just an optimized version of the Other M model though, having as little polygons as necessary, could be they went with that tail design to put as little pressure on the 3DS version of Smash as possible if he's a character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I honestly think if nothing else that he has at least tried to make him work this time around, no way he wouldn't at least try and flesh out the idea with such a big outcry for him, and he certainly did seem a little intrigued by the idea. I'm not saying he actually went on to try and directly implement Ridley in the game as a character, but I would be surprised if he didn't at least get to the conceptual phase before giving up on him.
If Ridley does get worked on, I'd much rather him be worked on and then scrapped like you said tbh instead of having a Forbidden Seven situation where he simply doesn't get finished like Brawl Mewtwo, I would flip a few tables if I found out that was the case.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Anyone know of a decent online smash bros flash game with Ridley in it? I know there are some out there but I can't find any.

D

Deleted member

Anyone know of a decent online smash bros flash game with Ridley in it? I know there are some out there but I can't find any.
I'm pretty sure all Smash fangames operate under the "Ridley is too big" clause :troll:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The only one I know is "Super Smash Bros. Crusade", but, like all Smash Fan Projects, it's got a nonsense roster that includes anime characters and the like.

Which is sad, because if I remember correctly, it's otherwise well put together.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I really don't see how people hold off on thinking the shadow is 0% reliable when we know that shadows are static in size to the models, AND we are able to compare Ridley's shadow clearly and easily to the shadow of ANOTHER large character on the exact same stage. It is literally the ideal comparison.

While of course the main issue is we can't easily determine exactly what his model is doing, if he moves in a way that makes him take up more space and his body's shadow still takes up less room than Bowser's shadow, I would call that easily a really clear sign that he isn't boss-sized.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really don't see how people hold off on thinking the shadow is 0% reliable when we know that shadows are static in size to the models, AND we are able to compare Ridley's shadow clearly and easily to the shadow of ANOTHER large character on the exact same stage. It is literally the ideal comparison.

While of course the main issue is we can't easily determine exactly what his model is doing, if he moves in a way that makes him take up more space and his body's shadow still takes up less room than Bowser's shadow, I would call that easily a really clear sign that he isn't boss-sized.
The model is not completely unreliable, but it is not necessarily the most reliable either. Only Sith's deal in absolutes!

Morbi

Scavenger
It's funny cause that statement itself is an absolute.
You are literally the first person other than myself to point that out. I know this is off-topic, but I cannot even believe that someone else noticed; it is like you are my soul-mate. So anyways, Ridley is probably a Sith as he is either playable or a boss or a boss-playable hybrid.

D

Deleted member

Only Sith's deal in absolutes!
*GASP*

I'm shocked at you Morbid, I would never expect someone with a great vocabulary such as yourself would misuse a Possessive Apostrophe.

This world is officially coming to an end, better hope the kids don't get eaten first... :c

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
*GASP* I'm shocked at you Morbid, I would never expect someone with a great vocabulary such as yourself would misuse a Possessive Apostrophe.

This world is officially coming to an end, better hope the kids don't get eaten first... :c
It was indeed a typo. Haha. I am going to go commit suicide from the shame. Goodbye, everyone. I hope Ridley is revealed. I will ask the mortician to carve his name on my forehead.

Top Bottom