• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think they were just focusing on characters from new franchises. I'm hoping that only showing two newcomers isn't indicative of how very few newbies there are. I'm not sure the Animal Crossing Villager brings as much hype as Ridley would, but Mega Man is definitely way up there in Hypeville. Hopefully we'll get some daily dojo-type releases starting up soon.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Looks like his kick-flip Up Smash with some colorful new effects.
Ah shoot, didn't notice that he was so close to the ground, thought it was an aerial... damnabled sleep deprivation, kinda wish I didn't stay up all night being hyped.

Well, still... it sure is colorful.

Edit: Double damn! How the heck did I post that in the Ridley thread? Obviously was supposed to be in Fox... Sorry guys, I'm way too sleepy right now.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
And grammar is your friend.

I don't intend on changing anything less than a day from E3. All I am here to do is to be the harbinger of unfortunate truths. It's a lot of fan hype for Ridley, and none of these fans are thinking with the mindset of a team of video game developers working for the actual international entertainment corporation. Ridley's rescaling and change of abilities would be more of a departure for him than that of any character incorporated into Melee or Brawl thus far. It would even be a departure from Brawl itself. Once again, his place was already secured as a boss fight in which Ridley's size and abilities according to the SSB teams are made clear. I very much doubt they'll go back on their and Metroid's designs for Ridley, which clearly already match-up.
THANK YOU. NO ONE SEEMS TO RECOGNIZE THIS.
Listen, I know how much everyone is frothing for Ridley to be in. I'm not saying it's even that impossible, if they really want him in they'll make it happen, that is a true point.
Also, I've read all of everyone's arguments (even up to now in this thread) and have considered everything (even though you all say I haven't). None of you understood anything I said. I have a decent argument, and I'm not and idiot.
HAL seems to have a certain schematic for boss characters. They are large, overbearing, and their attacks are massive and cinematic. They're designed to be the opposite of playable characters and do not in any way fit into the dynamic of the Smash roster.
Ridley isn't all the way there, but on a sliding scale of Mario to Master Hand, he's way over on the Master Hand end.
Marx, for example, from Kirby Super Star, is like Master Hand and Tabuu. He would never fit as an SSB character. Ridley is almost all the way on that end of the spectrum.
In Brawl, Ridley has a long lasting wind blast attack that takes up the entire stage. That alone is indication he is not designed to interact with the regular cast. He's a transcendent entity like Marx, Tabuu, Rayquaza, Master Hand, etc. To subvert all of these design choices to condense him into a Smash character would be going against everything that makes Ridley who he is, and how the devs see him.

And as M15t3R here pointed out, Charizard is not a stretch to include in Smash. Even Ganondorf isn't, who has fought toe to toe with Link as an ordinary (though powerful) fighter in the Zelda games, at Link's level. And I'll say it again, Bowser is only giant when suped up with magic/super power. This is shown in the Mario series over and over. He's at Mario's level as a more relatable character when he's not powered up, such as in the Kart racing games and games where he's an ally, like Super Paper Mario. And as for Ridley's size, people have only cited the NES sprite (which was not meant to be that size) and the five second Melee cinematic. Yet in pretty much every other thing Ridley has ever been seen in (with mild variations), he's gigantic. Including Smash Bros Brawl.

Please listen, I know how badly you all want Ridley in the game, but read what I'm saying with some reasoning. Some of you have irrationally attacked me with insults and fallacies due to how inflamed you were at the mere suggestion that Ridley may not fit. I'm not a troll, and I'm not a Ridley hater. I like the Metroid series very much, Ridley included, and I agree it would be very awesome to see him in Smash. The arguments most of you have made in favor of Ridley's inclusion are very good. However, these are not stupid points I'm making, they're valid points based on careful observations of these series and how the devs handle things.

PS. I have nothing to do with GameFAQs, why the hell does everyone keep saying that.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't just waltz in and make a wall of text.

I can assure you no one's gonna read that, and many probably have set you to ignore. Better just drop the topic.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
Don't just waltz in and make a wall of text.

I can assure you no one's gonna read that, and many probably have set you to ignore. Better just drop the topic.
Yeah, and they accused me of ignoring arguments. I really don't want to see anyone here as hypocrites due to sheer emotional reaction.

Damn shame too since me and Runouw (former SSF2 programmer) are working on a spectacular 3d Smash engine with user accessible dev tools. And only the rational folks will see it.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
Damn shame too since me and Runouw (former SSF2 programmer) are working on a spectacular 3d Smash engine with user accessible dev tools.
Runouw has never worked on SSF2, though we've been in touch with him in the past. He had his own engine that he stopped working on a while back, as far as I know.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Exactly, Ridley is a much more sensible and logical choice as a boss battle, which is why he is TWO boss battles in Brawl. The SSB team have always recognized this. It's highly unlikely they'll reconsider now. People need to start thinking like a video game developer rather than a fan boy/girl.
He meant that about your correctness in the pkmn argument, not the ridley thing. Also, resizing has never been an issue OLIMAR gday sir.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I fear this thread will be trolled a lot by the too big crowd, if we don't get a Ridley confirmation soon.

Mr Lange

Smash Apprentice
I fear this thread will be trolled a lot by the too big crowd, if we don't get a Ridley confirmation soon.
And I won't be one of them. I just hope everyone understands that's not what I was doing.
Runouw has never worked on SSF2, though we've been in touch with him in the past. He had his own engine that he stopped working on a while back, as far as I know.
We have plans with that, we'll be doing something big with it in the future.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
He meant that about your correctness in the pkmn argument, not the ridley thing. Also, resizing has never been an issue OLIMAR gday sir.
You're about a day late. I've already dealt with the Olimar, Charizard, and Bowser arguments. The developers can resize a tiny character to become large so that he can compete with the rest. But scaling down a massive character who is supposed to be gigantic as part of his appeal into a puny baby dragon is a far cry from scaling up a small character, such as Olimar. For those of you who think there is no difference here, you need a healthy dose of common sense.

Pretty sure i saw ridley in the clouds during the trailer
No, but Ridley WILL be in the next game. As another boss or two. As an assist trophy. As a collectible trophy. As a sticker. Not as a playable character. That is just asinine.

You Ridley hopefuls are waiting for naught. I told all of you this last night. On the bright side, Megaman, who I knew was going to be a newcomer, was confirmed today. Horray! :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The Ridley fanbase will never give up. Sakurai originally said flat out NO to the idea of an Animal Crossing character yet look what happened today. We will continue to fight to the bitter end. I have been with the Ridley fanbase (and Smash Bros. fanbase in general) longer than anyone else, I have tasted disappointment more than anyone. Yet each time, I dust off my knee, get back up, crack my knuckles for the next fight.

All other Ridley supporters should do the same.

Only one popularly requested newcomer showed up today (Mega Man), the rest were shock additions.

I think the more conventional character choices will show up on the Dojo next year.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Ridley fanbase will never give up. Sakurai originally said flat out NO to the idea of an Animal Crossing character yet look what happened today. We will continue to fight to the bitter end. I have been with the Ridley fanbase (and Smash Bros. fanbase in general) longer than anyone else, I have tasted disappointment more than anyone. Yet each time, I dust off my knee, get back up, crack my knuckles for the next fight.

All other Ridley supporters should do the same.

Only one popularly requested newcomer showed up today (Mega Man), the rest were shock additions.

I think the more conventional character choices will show up on the Dojo next year.

Glad to see you're taking it okay, Chrono. If anything, like you said, the addition of the Villager actually helps Ridley's chances.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It's gonna be a bit painful swimming through the haters, but I'm sure we can do it. :)

... I'll be honest, though, if he doesn't get into this Smash game, I probably won't be pushing too hard for him in the next. So... mixed levels of optimism, I guess. :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You're about a day late. I've already dealt with the Olimar, Charizard, and Bowser arguments. The developers can resize a tiny character to become large so that he can compete with the rest. But scaling down a massive character who is supposed to be gigantic as part of his appeal into a puny baby dragon is a far cry from scaling up a small character, such as Olimar. For those of you who think there is no difference here, you need a healthy dose of common sense.

If you've already dealt with all the arguments, and you disagree with all of them, then why are you still here? This is the ridley supporters thread. Continuous naysayers, weather they themselves be belligerent or if they stir it in others, tend to bring ruin to ridley threads, I'm really quite wary of them. I'll not have this ship flame again.

(and what argument could you possibly have against olimar? sorry, I don't get to read everything here, I work. I really can just catch replies because it notifies me)

And also, as much as I'm 100% against any other kid icarus characters, I find my stance being less and less fruitful as he was one of the first shown characters @.@ Wouldn't be surprised at this point....

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Really, the only obstacle to Ridley is whether Sakurai would prefer to keep him as a boss. Ridley will work fine as a character if they let him.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Really, the only obstacle to Ridley is whether Sakurai would prefer to keep him as a boss. Ridley will work fine as a character if they let him.

Yeah, that's the be all, end all statement:

Ridley will work well as whatever Sakurai chooses for him.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The site was not working for me all day, but with Mega Man whose fans I'm happy for with what they've had to put up with for so long (Capcom's given them worse treatment than the too biggers have given to Ridley fans), an Animal Crossing villager which Chrono made a good point about, and the Wii-fit trainer (lolwut?), it's obvious they're saving the big gun 1st party characters for later, whatever they all may be...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Bowser's posture update actually made me somewhat hopeful. They more than likely made him less hunched to differentiate him from a certain other reptile. Or other reptile(s).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't worry guys. In my opinion, I see today's reveal for the following things:

1) Villager as a character no one saw coming
2) Megaman as the most wanted 3rd party hype character
3) Wii Fit Trainer as the WTF/Hardware character (if you really think about it)

Ridley is fine. If we were to use the lack of appearance against him, then that should apply to every other character that had support for the game.

Sakurai even mentioned the millions of requests that he gets for the game when he introduced the Wii Fit Trainer.

To quote Lucina of Fire Emblem Awakening: "Hope will never die!"

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You know, new forums are being made for the confirmed characters. I suggest going there to bring up all the confirmed stuff, instead of clogging up the Ridley thread with non-Ridley topics.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fair enough.

Not sure how I feel at the moment about the likelihood of Other M style Ridley being used having increased, though I wouldn't say it's a 100% or complete given. They could still possibly keep up with consistency far as him and continue sticking with the Super Metroid design. Even if we do get Other Ridley, well... at least he'll have a move or two that he prolly wouldn't have otherwise (hardening his skin as a reflector-esque move and whatever else), and still wouldn't be as bad as if we got the evolution gimmick.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't see it being at all possible that we'll get the evolution gimmick... but, man, I don't really know. In any case, Samus's design isn't ripped directly from Other M... they changed it to look better. So, even if they do grab Other Ridley, they'll probably work with him until he looks good to them. I'm not really worried about it.
In the end, his size and his strength have never been his defining features, so I suspect they wouldn't adhere to the oddly muscular version.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
His physical strength (to me at least) actually has been one of his defining features, though he doesn't have to look muscular with his arms or anything like in Other M for him to actually be strong.

Aside from that I guess I'm on the same page as you.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay, I'm dumping in with some speculation here guys, so take this with a grain of salt.

Now obviously only characters for new franchises were announced (is Wii Fit even a franchise lol?) so Ridley wasn't a valid reveal for yesterday.

However, I noticed something, two characters have been upped in status. We all remember the main 4 characters of Brawl: Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. However this time the wheels have turned, Kirby and Pikachu have been booted off their status. In their time they brought 2 newcomers to Brawl each: Pkmn Trainer, Lucario, MK and DDD. Given that their franchises have been completed (except for Mewtwo missing who's just a returning character) that's likely the reason their importance have been minimized. Of course Mario and Link are too popular and iconic to boot off this position.

The thing I find interesting though is that in Kirby and Pikachu's place DK and Samus have replaced them as the main 4, putting themselves up to a higher status, and dragging Kirby and Pikachu down. It could be that this has happened because DK and Metroid will get a newcomer each (given the supposed smaller roster) and Kirby and Pokemon won't. Thus, Ridley might just be around the corner, probably along with K. Rool.

This is of course just a theory that comes from an observation, but wouldn't it be silly if Metroid got no new representives when its status as obviously gone up considering it was the 3rd mentioned name in the trailer and Samus has become part of the main 4, aye?

Still, take this with a grain of salt.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Now that Samus has the Other M look, I think it's safe to assume that Ridley will sport that look too. And that's not a bad thing, since Other M Ridley fights on the ground quite often in the boss battle.

Edit: ...If he is confirmed, of course.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm actually like 99% confident about Ridley's chances now. It's just a matter of time. Oh Villager, you provide so much hope!

And I second that we're probably going to get nothing but popular characters now. Sakurai wouldn't want to keep throwing the "Characters nobody expected" at us, I don't think.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Pretty sure i saw ridley in the clouds during the trailer
LOL Brings back memories.

Anyway, there's absolutely no reason not to bring Ridley into the fray this time. He's Metroid's most recurring character after Samus herself. And there's no way they couldn't make a moveset with there being like 4 different types of the space pirate in the franchise. Just combine them all and there you go.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Okay, I'm dumping in with some speculation here guys, so take this with a grain of salt.

Now obviously only characters for new franchises were announced (is Wii Fit even a franchise lol?) so Ridley wasn't a valid reveal for yesterday.

However, I noticed something, two characters have been upped in status. We all remember the main 4 characters of Brawl: Mario, Link, Kirby and Pikachu. However this time the wheels have turned, Kirby and Pikachu have been booted off their status. In their time they brought 2 newcomers to Brawl each: Pkmn Trainer, Lucario, MK and DDD. Given that their franchises have been completed (except for Mewtwo missing who's just a returning character) that's likely the reason their importance have been minimized. Of course Mario and Link are too popular and iconic to boot off this position.

The thing I find interesting though is that in Kirby and Pikachu's place DK and Samus have replaced them as the main 4, putting themselves up to a higher status, and dragging Kirby and Pikachu down. It could be that this has happened because DK and Metroid will get a newcomer each (given the supposed smaller roster) and Kirby and Pokemon won't. Thus, Ridley might just be around the corner, probably along with K. Rool.

This is of course just a theory that comes from an observation, but wouldn't it be silly if Metroid got no new representives when its status as obviously gone up considering it was the 3rd mentioned name in the trailer and Samus has become part of the main 4, aye?

Still, take this with a grain of salt.
I mean, this was some of my theorycrafting for brawl, metroid/earthbound/fzero all had one rep in melee, (i think diddy had been revealed at this point) so i thought they all deserved new reps.

While fzero has yet to get any new games, Metroid got other M, which samus was styled on, and which Ridley played a large role. And you gotta admit, Ridley's fighting style is pretty cool in other M. But just as sakurai was true to megaman's NES incarnation, I'm sure he'll be true to whatever Ridley incarnation he brings.

and slightly off topic I'm kinda betting on dixie over k rool at this point what with her being playable in that other e3 reveal that happened to not feature k rool at all >.>

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't know about you guys, but I think these "too big" arguments need to be banned. It's freaking stupid. I vote we all rally together and ignore those posters. That way, they have no reason to come back.

This isn't GameFAQs where everyone has the IQ of an apple. This is SmashBoards where some of the best, including me, your very own UNDISPUTED RIDLEY CHAMPION OF THE WORLD hail from.

If you don't want Ridley, fine, but make your reason an actually legitimate one, like say, you don't want another dragon-esk character (I don't know why, but that's at least a real reason).

Top Bottom