• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You mean where he was the smallest bosses and barely bigger than Brawl=???

Also, you seem to have a selective memory, because I don't remember that too well, seeing as how I don't play that silly casual game. No, I play A MAN'S GAME IN MELEE, and in THAT GAME, he's barely bigger than Samus.

So you can go back to your kiddie pool on the Brawl Boards, and us MEN OF MELEE will wreck you with our superior MELEE LOGIC, MELEE TECHNIQUES, AND MELEE GAMEPLAY!!!!

Wavedashing > Random Trippling
Dash Dancing > Planking
Quadruple Knee Kills > Stalling
Well, we are talking about Brawl and Ridley who appeared in a couple seconds in the opening of Melee WITHOUT A TAIL means nothing. You truly are a ridiculous idiot.
btw, king dedede is about 1 and 1/2 feet, ganondorf is 7 and 1/2 feet, and bowser is about 10 feet, yet low and behold they're the same size
They are all large characters. You are clearly speculating on height for each of those characters, but yes Bowser is large. Once again, scaling down Ridley who is already at least 10x larger than Bowser is different than reducing Bowser's apparent height by a mere foot or so.
How about my argument about Ridley not even being the same size in the two boss battles earlier? Just an example.

EDIT: 100 pages! We will get there!
Different forms, duh. And once again, scaling up a character is fine if it serves a purpose. For Ridley, that purpose is his intimidation factor. They're not going to scale down an iconic character that has always been massive into a puny, laughable dragon baby just because fans want it. Especially not after his debut as two bosses in Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, we are talking about Brawl and Ridley who appeared in a couple seconds in the opening of Melee WITHOUT A TAIL means nothing. You truly are a ridiculous idiot.
That's not the counter arguement I wanted you to reply to... :(

Either way. 100 PAGES WOOT!

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

You mean that tail that wouldn't have factored towards height anyway?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No you are ridiculous for referencing the worst smash game yet, where Ridley appeared in two different sizes and forms, and was supposed to be an Assist Trophy character.

And yet you keep talking about this inferior game, and keep mentioning a lack of tail in the Melee opening (which unlike the Brawl trailer isn't about the stupid single-player, like what you're playing now against the team that is SMASH BOARDS' RIDLEY SUPPORTERS!!!), despite the fact that's war damage from the MAN'S GAME as opposed to the game for the people who are lame and like to camp and stall like a man who is scared of a competitive game. That kind of war.

You know, like the war I'm bringing to you=???

You see, I'll cut you up like my name's Jon Jones. I'll wear a light heavyweight belt and I give no Bones. So listen up you small man, you got no stones, this the champ's property, not something you loan. So go find your unknowns, the Ridley-hating clones, get them through the internet or with a phone, because they need to know just my tones, that I'm going to smash you to where there's nothing left of you but what I now own.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Is this guy really arguing that characters can be scaled up, but not the opposite? Ridiculous
That's GameFAQs haters for you.
How about my point that Ridley was going to be an Assist Trophy originally, not a boss?

And I honestly think we've given you more than enough counter-arguments, you just seem to have problems thinking and listening properly.
Yep, the UNDISPUTED SMASH WII U CHAMPION OF THE WORLD SAID IT BEST!!! The best argument is ignoring the other side for losers like this guy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Less than nine hours to go. This is going to seem like forever. Hard to think we only have about 1/3 of a day left of waiting to go.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why put Ridley on some "extra large" scale though. What makes him so special that he can't be with the other "large" characters.

ALL THAT MATTERS is that he is larger than Samus. People point out that Samus is already pretty tall, but even between her and Ganondorf there's still plenty of wiggle room for Ridley. And that's just for height. If he were the same height as Ganondorf, he'd still be much larger due to his frame/stance. This is all being conservative too. You can make Samus smaller (which may even make sense due to Other M shortening her up), and Ridley can become the new largest character in the game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Different forms, duh. And once again, scaling up a character is fine if it serves a purpose. For Ridley, that purpose is his intimidation factor. They're not going to scale down an iconic character that has always been massive into a puny, laughable dragon baby just because fans want it. Especially not after his debut as two bosses in Brawl.
Except Meta-Ridley should be BIGGER than normal Ridley, not the other way around. Canon size got shot out of the window ages ago!

Since when has size been his intimidation factor. I thought it was his ferociousness. What words does Nintendo use to describe Ridley? Never big. But cunning, tricky and violent.

They did that for Charizard even after his debut as a Pokeball Pokemon. And yes Charizard SHRUNK from Melee to Brawl. His Melee Pokeball model is bigger than his Brawl model.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Why put Ridley on some "extra large" scale though. What makes him so special that he can't be with the other "large" characters.

ALL THAT MATTERS is that he is larger than Samus. People point out that Samus is already pretty tall, but even between her and Ganondorf there's still plenty of wiggle room for Ridley. And that's just for height. If he were the same height as Ganondorf, he'd still be much larger due to his frame. This is all being conservative too. You can make Samus smaller (which may even make sense due to Other M shortening her up), and Ridley can become the new largest character in the game.

EXACTLY.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
No you are ridiculous for referencing the worst smash game yet, where Ridley appeared in two different sizes and forms, and was supposed to be an Assist Trophy character.

And yet you keep talking about this inferior game, and keep mentioning a lack of tail in the Melee opening (which unlike the Brawl trailer isn't about the stupid single-player, like what you're playing now against the team that is SMASH BOARDS' RIDLEY SUPPORTERS!!!), despite the fact that's war damage from the MAN'S GAME as opposed to the game for the people who are lame and like to camp and stall like a man who is scared of a competitive game. That kind of war.

You know, like the war I'm bringing to you=???

You see, I'll cut you up like my name's Jon Jones. I'll wear a light heavyweight belt and I give no Bones. So listen up you small man, you got no stones, this the champ's property, not something you loan. So go find your unknowns, the Ridley-hating clones, get them through the internet or with a phone, because they need to know just my tones, that I'm going to smash you to where there's nothing left of you but what I now own.

I...I really hope you're trolling bro. I mean, whether or not you hate Brawl, Melee wasn't exactly something to worship so intensely what with its exploitable physics and bugs, numerous clones, huge balance issues (in some ways greater than Brawl's outside of chaingrabbing and MK) and generally inferior content (Brawl bests Melee in Music, character choice, game modes, items and general content). Yeah, the gameplay is faster and the game is more technical, but its not THAT awesome man. And I played the hell out of it and loved it.

On another note. Ridley. Yeah him.

I somehow doubt he's going to show up at E3, and would be saved for later if anything. But here's hoping.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Get your hopes waaaay down guys.

He has a chance of a reveal, but lets be honest. He's very consistent with the sort of characters who are unlockable and therefore not in trailers.
Best I'd hope for is a hint.

I also wouldn't get my hopes down if he doesn't make the trailer. Because like I said if he's in the game you wouldn't expect him in the trailer anyway. Says nothing about his chances really.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know what guys, he's right.

Ridley is too big...

...TO NOT BE PLAYABLE IN SMASH WII U AND 3DS!!!!!

And whether that means he's revealed in a few hours or a few years, he's gonna be playable... just you wait!!!

I bet my hair on it, MY FREAKING HAIR!!!!!!

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Except Meta-Ridley should be BIGGER than normal Ridley, not the other way around. Canon size got shot out of the window ages ago!

Since when has size been his intimidation factor. I thought it was his ferociousness. What words does Nintendo use to describe Ridley? Never big. But cunning, tricky and violent.

They did that for Charizard even after his debut as a Pokeball Pokemon. And yes Charizard SHRUNK from Melee to Brawl. His Melee Pokeball model is bigger than his Brawl model.
Meta-Ridley is the one fought atop the Falcon Flier. Meta-Ridley is the larger one. -__-;
Size is ALWAYS an intimidation factor in video games, when a character has it. Sakurai knew this. Why do you think his team passed over Ridley the first time? Ridley had hype for Melee but Sakurai and his team felt he would serve better and more appropriately later in Brawl as two unique boss battles. Do you really expect them to reconsider this line of thinking now for the sake of some group of western fans who are clamoring over Ridley while at the same time there are calls for many other characters?
Sorry to break it to everyone, but the Metroid series isn't even very popular in Japan!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I leave for ONE press conference (pretty much a public execution/humliation of a certain other company, but that's another thread) and I left the stove on.

I've already stated multiple times, I am not getting my hopes up at all for tomorrow, nor have I had my hopes up since right after Brawl's roster was finally confirmed. Could Ridley be playable? I think so. Will he/is it likely? Probably. Would it be the end of the world (and is 3rd time really not the charm?) if I can't play as him? No. He's still a bloody space pirate commander wyvern that just happens to be the most beloved antagonist of a most beloved series that could certainly use some more love in Smash. I get that there are some pretty illogical, infuriatingly ignorant, and respectable arguments both for and against him, but that's still no reason to flip a table over. Does that stop me from still supporting him, and actually be willing to flip a table in the name of Ridley? **** no. But I'd rather we (as both a thread, community, fanbase, extended family, whatever we are) set a better example than that, and just assimilate all non-believers with the same intelligence/cunning that everyone always forgets/neglect to realize Ridley has (Cunning God of Death status, y'all). Those that don't and will always refuse to believe? Good for them, they can feel awesome about themselves elsewhere (and have that distinct possibility of eating their own hat upon the promised day of the Ridley-pture, the day he's confirmed, etc.) or offer some good discussion (which does nothing but pass the time and keep our minds off the long wait) to try any futile effort to show us their way is right. If you're doing it right, you'll get a laugh and maybe convert a lost soul or two. M15t3R E, I hope you enjoy your stay.

I never thought about it. Ridley has 2 toes, though. Does that invalidate the thumb thing?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sorry to break it to everyone, but the Metroid series isn't even very popular in Japan!
Oh, so you quit your old argument=???

Sorry to break it to you, but the Metroid franchise has sold over a million units in Japan!!!

I can't say that about Star Fox or MOTHER, which both have multiple character players in smash.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715

Bull****.

In its first day of release in Japan, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption sold 20,000 copies, and it was the fifth bestselling game during its debut week in Japan, selling 32,388 units, ranking it behind Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan!, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii Fit, and Gundam Musou Special. Furthermore, Metroid: Other M was the third best-selling video game in Japan during its week of release with 45,398 copies sold, ranking it behind Wii Party and Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village. It sold an additional 11,239 copies the following week.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Meta-Ridley is the one fought atop the Falcon Flier. Meta-Ridley is the larger one. -__-;

Meta Ridley's body and head are significantly smaller. His wingspan and tail are longer but everything else is smaller. Normal Ridley's Limbs are also bigger and bulkier.

Size is ALWAYS an intimidation factor in video games, when a character has it. Wailord is intimidating? It looks silly if anything.

Sakurai knew this. Why do you think his team passed over Ridley the first time? We have no clue. Ridley had hype for Melee (Not really) but Sakurai and his team felt he would serve better and more appropriately as two unique boss battles.

Do you really expect them to reconsider this line of thinking now for the sake of some group of western fans who are clamoring over Ridley while at the same time there are calls for many other characters?

Considering those people are the majority and that Sakurai did comment that he could make Ridley work. Yes.

Neither is Sonic the Hedgehog. Yet we got him because of mainly western demand.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I...I really hope you're trolling bro. I mean, whether or not you hate Brawl, Melee wasn't exactly something to worship so intensely what with its exploitable physics and bugs, numerous clones, huge balance issues (in some ways greater than Brawl's outside of chaingrabbing and MK) and generally inferior content (Brawl bests Melee in Music, character choice, game modes, items and general content). Yeah, the gameplay is faster and the game is more technical, but its not THAT awesome man. And I played the hell out of it and loved it.

On another note. Ridley. Yeah him.

I somehow doubt he's going to show up at E3, and would be saved for later if anything. But here's hoping.
I don't hate Brawl, I'm trying to tee him off bro. He's pretending to be a competitive player, and I'm calling his bluff and trying to make him overreact. It's called mind games. He's already breaking.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus, if the Metroid series wasn't popular in Japan, Nintendo wouldn't have, you know, re-released the Gamecube Prime games there with motion controls. They're not going to release something they know isn't going to sell. :p

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I don't hate Brawl, I'm trying to tee him off bro. He's pretending to be a competitive player, and I'm calling his bluff and trying to make him overreact. It's called mind games. He's already breaking.
You have quite the imagination, Mr. Killer Bee.

@Swampasaur:
FPS's aren't very popular in Japan. Metroid saw a noticeable setback with Metroid: Other M. You can research this yourself, I have no need to make this up.

Yes, size is intimidating but I meant pertaining to villains. Have you never played WoW? Just an example. If anything, those two Ridley's are the same size. In the picture of regular Ridley, he is closer than in the picture of Meta-Ridley. I'm surprised by your lack of perception. And you may have no clue why he passed over Ridley for Melee but I know the reason why, and there was hype for him then like there is now.

Plus, if the Metroid series wasn't popular in Japan, Nintendo wouldn't have, you know, re-released the Gamecube Prime games there with motion controls. They're not going to release something they know isn't going to sell. :p
Of course they would, in an attempt to revitalize the series. That was back when the Metroid series did well in Japan but also at a time when the motion sensor wii remotes did not exist, so it is a good attempt by Nintendo.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I go to sleep and then wake up to hitting the 100 page mark and see a bunch of old shenigans from the non-supporters.

I've never really understood why people lay so much weight on hating something other people love, the internet never stops to surprise me.

Also, to the stupid argument above, SF Commando and Assault sure didn't do well either, didn't stop them from adding Wolf or basing the whole franchise's design off of it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You have quite the imagination, Mr. Killer Bee.
Whatever you say small fry. You're probably a short, weak, scared little boy.

You don't know me song.

You don't even know my first freaking name.

I'm the mother f***ing Lizard King, and like a lizard, I will eat you up and shed you out of my body as a way to purify this world and the next.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I go to sleep and then wake up to hitting the 100 page mark and see a bunch of old shenigans from the non-supporters.

I've never really understood why people lay so much weight on hating something other people love, the internet never stops to surprise me.

Also, to the stupid argument above, SF Commando and Assault sure didn't do well either, didn't stop them from adding Wolf or basing the whole franchise's design off of it.
Wolf was in Star Fox 64 if you didn't recall.

EDIT: I REALLY should get some sleep now. This will be settled by Nintendo, eventually. I look forward to that day. Goodnight all.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And that was 12 years before Brawl was released and 2 1/2 generations of gaming later.

Just imagine 12 years from now how stupid your hate will look when Ridley will have been playable in no less than 3 smash games. It will be pretty funny.

Almost as funny as the time your parents got a divorce. Boy that was funny. And no, they didn't get a divorce because they argued, they got a divorce because of you. And they didn't divorce each other did they=??? No, they divorced themselves from you.

Kinda like how you divorce yourself from the fact that this trailer isn't the only place where new playable characters can and will be confirmed.

So go run to your bed, a rusty mat, off to bed with your plushy of a little electric rat, knowing that I will squash you like a gnat.

Because someday on your face my butt will have sat, and I will take a giant crap, whether it is tomorrow, next year, I'm going to do it to you, you little brat.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

@Swampasaur:
FPS's aren't very popular in Japan. Metroid saw a noticeable setback with Metroid: Other M. You can research this yourself, I have no need to make this up.
When did I say that Metroid was popular in Japan?
Yes, size is intimidating but I meant pertaining to villains. Not always. A mindless brute is less intimidating than a smaller but more evil and savage creature. Ridley is much more intimidating than Kraid for example. Have you never played WoW? Nah. I play good games. Just an example. If anything, those two Ridley's are the same size. In the picture of regular Ridley, he is closer than in the picture of Meta-Ridley. I'm surprised by your lack of perception. He's closer but my point still stands. Boot the game up for yourself if you don't believe me. Normal Ridley is noticeably bigger than Meta-Ridley.

Regardless some different pics.

Normal Ridley's head and body is still bigger compared to the characters. This time, they are about the same distance away.
And you may have no clue why he passed over Ridley for Melee but I know the reason why, and there was hype for him then like there is now. No where near the amount he had pre-Brawl or now. Most people didn't even consider Ridley at that point.
I think you're getting responses mixed up.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
How very elaborate of you :troll:.
Son, I am the master troll. If he was a Melee guy, I'd do the same thing. I don't segregate with my heel turns, I go evil all the time on my heel turns.

I also love how I wrote this comment I got the "I LOVE IT!" trophy for 500 likes! :laugh:

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
definition of a humanoid

something that has an appearance resembling a human being. The term first appeared in 1912 to refer to fossils which were morphologically similar to, but not identical with, those of the human skeleton.[1] Although this usage was common in the sciences for much of the 20th century, it is now considered rare.[1] More generally, the term can refer to anything with uniquely human characteristics and/or adaptations, such as possessing opposable appendage (thumbs) or the ability to walk in an upright position.

funny, cause ridley does have thumbs, and it can walk
To clarify, I don't think Ridley has ever walked upright, or bipedially for that matter. He's not even really inclined to stand upright (not to be conflated with standing bipedially), which only occurs briefly in a few of his appearances.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

EDIT: I REALLY should get some sleep now. This will be settled by Nintendo, eventually. I look forward to that day. Goodnight all.

Yeah dude, that's all fine and dandy, but don't use Metroid: Other M being a flop as an argument then. If you're using SF64 as a counterargument I can use Super Metroid as a counterargument too.

Almost as funny as the time your parents got a divorce. Boy that was funny. And no, they didn't get a divorce because they argued, they got a divorce because of you. And they didn't divorce each other did they=??? No, they divorced themselves from you.

Now now dude, he might be an idiot, but I've been hearing these arguments for nearly a decade now, he's just one out of many. No need to waste your breath nor sink down to their level, he's obviously just one out of many.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Ridley should have a low, feral stance. I still maintain that its the way to go to fit his personality, his lithe movement, and make his model more compacted without shrinking him ludicrously. They did it with Wolf to awesome effect, it could work for Ridley too.

I was looking at Project M and decided that Charizard's modified moveset would work fantastic for Ridley. Claws, tails, and rams. Fits him perfectly. Fire (Plasma in this case) Breath for Side B. A lifting attack for Down B that puts him in flight. It would all work.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley should have a low, feral stance. I still maintain that its the way to go to fit his personality, his lithe movement, and make his model more compacted without shrinking him ludicrously. They did it with Wolf to awesome effect, it could work for Ridley too.

Ridley should have a stance similar to his stance as Omega Ridley in Metroid Prime 3, which is also alike to Wolf.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To clarify, I don't think Ridley has ever walked upright, or bipedially for that matter. He's not even really inclined to stand upright (not to be conflated with standing bipedially), which only occurs briefly in a few of his appearances.
To clarify, I don't think this idiot "Ridley is too big" nonsense spewer has never walked or thought upright, probably because his thong is on too tight, and once Ridley is confirmed, he will have lost his greatest fight.
Now now dude, he might be an idiot, but I've been hearing these arguments for nearly a decade now, he's just one out of many. No need to waste your breath nor sink down to their level, he's obviously just one out of many.
I've used that line for years because it's funny bro. I didn't suddenly just used it on him.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I was looking at Project M and decided that Charizard's modified moveset would work fantastic for Ridley. Claws, tails, and rams. Fits him perfectly. Fire (Plasma in this case) Breath for Side B. A lifting attack for Down B that puts him in flight. It would all work.
Would the Down B be like Pit's Wings of Icarus?

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
To clarify, I don't think this idiot "Ridley is too big" nonsense spewer has never walked or thought upright, probably because his thong is on too tight, and once Ridley is confirmed, he will have lost his greatest fight.

I've used that line for years because it's funny bro. I didn't suddenly just used it on him.
Could you keep your creepy hostile sh** to yourself? Nobody's here to watch you seek attention, and nobody that you are positing to not want Ridley playable actually wants that. I'd appreciate it if you kept me out of your behavioral outbursts if you can't communicate like an approximation of an adult.

Top Bottom