• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You know, maybe Sakurai was sending us a message yesterday. He included a character he stated would be highly improbable for Smash (Villager).

Just like Ridley.
Suggesting that he may be trying to surprise us by saying "anything is possible" before making a big reveal. I know a couple have brought up a similar idea already.

Wii Fit Trainer also proves that he can do a lot with very little. His message seemed to not be comic relief but also sort of a "expect the unexpected" idea. In this instance, many of us are expecting Ridley. But maybe we WILL get Ridley as playable, but in a way we don't expect.

Its probably no coincidence that he chose two controversial characters on reveal day.

In hindsight, these inclusions may actually boost Ridley's chances by proving that he isn't as far out of reach as some may feel.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
I haven't given up either.
In fact, I drew a picture of the four main characters I want to see in Smash 4.
BEHOLD

GLORIOUS ARTWORK

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
To "He's to big to be in" people

From Mic
Giant Bowser Mic > Tiny Mario Ridley hater... :chuckle:
I haven't given up either.
In fact, I drew a picture of the four main characters I want to see in Smash 4.
BEHOLD

GLORIOUS ARTWORK
Is the one on the far right a Cucco from the Legend of Zelda=??? :confused:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
that, my friend, is Mewtwo, or rather, the ******* child of Tails Doll and Mewtwo
That description sounds like you are describing a male Krystal, only with more angst and more random crying, which is strange, considering Krystal shows both of those feels a lot! :chuckle:

grizby2

Smash Lord
bowser usually turns into a giant normally from hoarding some form of fabled power source: stars, shine sprites, star rod, ect..
he seems to have a "normal" size now from what I can tell over the past few years.

I cant say that about Ridley though, but best of luck to him anyway right?

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I love how after the initial character reveal people either gloat or worry about a characters inclusion. They'll get revealed when they get revealed. Not being shown first doesn't hurt their chances.

What we have learned though is that Sakurai went back on one of his words and multiplied it by two. The villager is a character that we all rightfully assumed would be out of the picture because of Sakurai's opinion of him being nonviolent and not good for a fighting game. How can the same not be said about the Wii Fit Trainer? There may be some light boxing moves in the game(not sure) but all those yoga moves are not intended for fighting and look what we have!

We all(you not me ;)) think we know Sakurai's mind set but yet again he proves us wrong with something completely off the wall, unexpected and more importantly, something that went against his previous ideals.

Ridley is just as viable at this point as he ever was, or anyone else for that matter. I mean there are many out there that just can't imagine Ridley as a playable character. Imagine the shock that Sakurai would send down their spines?

I'll never forget seeing Olimar being playable for the first time. He was so huge I thought it was the most unnatural looking thing ever. Ant like creatures don't pick up and man handle grown men like Ike and Snake. Except well, they do, they did and I got used to it. If Ridley, Marx or Taboo made it in we would get used to it.

And dude, stop with the Marx comparisons. You saying Mewtwo should have never made it to Melee? he was always depicted as a near unstoppable force of nature. That kind of crap matters not in Smash.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Well yh if Sakurai is the WTF Troll King then to many People Ridley will be a WTF OMG Char also very popular best of both worlds? If you think of it like that He is perfect.

I think what hurts him the most is that he was a Boss in Brawl and Smash being its own Canon that aRidley was placed as a Boss in. Sakurai might think...you know...

I see that barrier more understand able and real than his Size arguments or Not inportant enough or lack of personality...what ever and all that other crap.

EDIT: We all asumed Sakurai would take the trailer in a Brawl like direction revealing 4/5 Newcomers if he did then i think most of outmr trailer predictions would have been right but he went with a pokemon game like trailer..also Villager must have been planned but scrapped from brawl so i assume Scrapped char comes first before new most popular but hell i dunno why Roy or Mewtwo werent there...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hey guys, let's all be pessimistic hipsters like shortie about Ridley and the like so we can't possibly feel like we were ever wrong in case he's not in!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I love how after the initial character reveal people either gloat or worry about a characters inclusion. They'll get revealed when they get revealed. Not being shown first doesn't hurt their chances.
Sakurai's random balls have me concerned a huge chunk of the roster will be just random balls. I expected one, but now that we got one so early, I fear we may get two or three more, and they'll get over popular characters.
Ridley is just as viable at this point as he ever was, or anyone else for that matter. I mean there are many out there that just can't imagine Ridley as a playable character. Imagine the shock that Sakurai would send down their spines?
Ridley is as viable as ever, and I would say he's one of the most likely newcomers, but this WFT hurts his chances in my eyes. There are only so many spots left, and I do not see us getting more than say 8-12 more newcomers. Still, I think he is far more likely to be playable than not.
And dude, stop with the Marx comparisons. You saying Mewtwo should have never made it to Melee? he was always depicted as a near unstoppable force of nature. That kind of crap matters not in Smash.
Let's just ignore everyone who uses a "too big" argument(s) to make it know that their presence here adds nothing, and their post was literally just a waste of space. If they get no replies, and we stop reading it at the "too big" or "too fake" or "too not magic-y" (for a game with freaking magic stars, balls that grant superstars, plumbers who shoot fire out of their hands, a freaking angel kid, and an electric rat), then they will go away. And if they don't, add them to your ignore list. I already blocked all the current Ridley haters, and I'm rolling just like I'm bowling and I'm going fast because I wavedash when I'm strolling! :shades:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Me too RealTalk PeePz think they revealed WTF and that's gonna be the only Bull* char in the whole of Sm4sh? Something tells me they are just getting started...i think new series will take priority thatswhat im thinking! I think this is a roster pool of characters and i think Sakurai has completed the roster with picking any of these.

Any one brand new from mario series...
Waluigi
Bayonetta
Mach Rider
Duck Hunt Dog
Takamaru*
Pacman*
Sherrif
Dillion*
Mii**
Palutena*
Wonderful 101*
Little Mac*
Shulk*
FE Char
Mewtwo
Baloon Fighter
Toad
Dixxie

Something tell me Within that Pool The Roster lies...and its a pretty horrible pool...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You can be a real topic killer sometimes you know that? Besides, this isn't really the place to talk about how you think the newcomer pool might turn out.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You can be a real topic killer sometimes you know that? Besides, this isn't really the place to talk about how you think the newcomer pool might turn out.
Sorry but Reality>Fantasy
Its what matters and counts at the end of the day...im a negative guy...i mostly think negative...and most of the time i end up being right..what a world we live in hey?

Sorry though...it is what is is....

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So you're saying that everyone who supports Ridley or some of the popular requested characters are just living in a fantasy world? Okay.

You must live a pretty miserable life or something to be as normally negative as you are, and whether you end up being right or wrong about something is beside the point. Sometimes I worry for you.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So you're saying that everyone who supports Ridley or some of the popular requested characters are just living in a fantasy world? Okay.

You must live a pretty miserable life or something to be as normally negative as you are, and whether you end up being right or wrong about something is beside the point. Sometimes I worry for you.
did i type those words?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
"Sorry but Reality>Fantasy"

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
"Sorry but Reality>Fantasy"
You know if there is something you wanna say? you can say it its not like your gonna hurt my feelings or something....

Did i say that all the PeePz supporting Ridley are delusional and live in a fantasy world? If i did then i woudnt be here supporting him.....

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Please we gotta ignore this guy don't want the Ridley thread ending like last time. Click on his username, click ignore, you win the secret ridley game.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Hey guys, let's all be pessimistic hipsters like shortie about Ridley and the like so we can't possibly feel like we were ever wrong in case he's not in!
You mean what I've been saying I do now since Brawl? And post about doing so every other post?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You know if there is something you wanna say? you can say it its not like your gonna hurt my feelings or something....

Did i say that all the PeePz supporting Ridley are delusional and live in a fantasy world? If i did then i woudnt be here supporting him....
Sigh, nevermind.

Please we gotta ignore this guy don't want the Ridley thread ending like last time. Click on his username, click ignore, you win the secret ridley game.
Dark Phazon's not that bad. Someone would have to constantly annoy and antagonize me for quite some time for me to actually add them to my ignore list.

You mean what I've been saying I do now since Brawl? And post about doing so every other post?
In all seriousness, I find being insecure or pessimistic about something you want just to avoid disappointment to be silly depending on how far it's taken.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't see him as being negative, just realistic. He's point is valid, and while doesn't discount Ridley's viability as a character he's realistic in the likelyness ofsome of those (Was expecting 'Mii' as well as a certain, but now with Villager, not sure)

Although Dark Phazon, you can scratch Balloon Fighter off the list, seeing as that's basically Villager's up-B.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This subject is now about Ridley. And in order to make that so, I wrote something...

Ridley was once a machine.
He's also purple and mean.
He once was green
but now of that color he's clean,
and instead he eats baked beans.

When he went to school he read Greene
everyday he would wear blue jeans.
He got expelled for eating his dean
when he was only just a teen
he became wanted by the queen
so he hide underground to become unseen.

Fortunately he had good genes
so for protection he sold his extra spleen.
In order to eat Ridley had to glean
and afterwards he would always keen
to the monster who's face had things that sheen,
who was big, scary, and green.

Later Ridley and him would convene
and found out he was a ex-Marine
who left because he crushed a latrine
and that his last name was Treen
but he preferred to demean
so he went by Kraid and he hate cuisine.

Now this is where the story gets obscene
because this is where Ridley doesn't preen
and he stopped being so mien,
and on Kraid's opinion he would lean
and of the world he was wean
and formed a group always claiming lien.

The group liked to make a scene
their emotions they would screen
they were stronger than baleen
they would eat you like chow mein
but their name was torn between
the Space Pirates and the Galactic careen.

The group often acted out like Kien,
whether at a hotel or a canteen,
and together they would convene
to steal alcohol and space caffeine,
killing people whether they were named Bobby or Eugene,
poisoning them with benzene.

The Space Pirates began to hunt minerals like citrine
destroying economies was a routine
whether it was in a city or in the wild near a ravine
they'd destroy all the saline
which harmed the water and killed sardines
to which there was no environmental vaccine.

The Space Pirates once went to do this for times umpteen
it was a place that was particularly serene
and Ridley saw a girl who was a colleen
who had a child drinking milk getting some casein
who looked like her name was Irene,
and he came over and scared them like it was Halloween.

A man stopped Ridley when he came to intervene
But Ridley threw him high up like he bounced like a trampoline
and when he met his end he made a sound as loud as a tambourine.
Ridley then turned his eyes toward the woman under the moon who looked like Selene
and he torn through her like a wolverine
and slashed her up until she was as red as a tangerine.

Ridley then turned to the girl with skin like a vanilla bean
and he notice she was deep in depression like a submarine
and her skinned turned to a look like it was yellowish green.
of which a sorrowful song Ridley could sing,
so he flew away and cancelled his execution routine,
as under her breath the girl promise that her and Ridley would reconvene,
of which I am sure of this Ridley wishes he would have foreseen.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Sigh, nevermind.

Dark Phazon's not that bad. Someone would have to constantly annoy and antagonize me for quite some time for me to actually add them to my ignore list.

I don't see him as being negative, just realistic. He's point is valid, and while doesn't discount Ridley's viability as a character he's realistic in the likelyness ofsome of those (Was expecting 'Mii' as well as a certain, but now with Villager, not sure)

I miiiggght be thinking of someone else with a similar name who trolled last time and I'm just thinking they're the same person, xD I agree I haven't seen anything close to thread shut down status yet. just a bit anxious... bad history here...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Thanks John. Needed to read something like that to lighten the mood.

And yeah, Dark's list was on the more realistic side, just it came off as kind of a buzzkill far as discussing Ridley.

@ samusrules: You probably were thinking of someone else then. Dark Phazon's not really an intentional troll or anything.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Thanks John. Needed to read something like that to lighten the mood.

And yeah, Dark's list was on the more realistic side, just it came off as kind of a buzzkill far as discussing Ridley.
Ok, my apologies to dark phazon, I can stand by level headed, even passionate arguing.

Also, more Ridley poetry, John inspired me

There once was a space pirate dragon
He roared, and drank from a flagon
He watched from above
as fans gave their love
Lets all join the ridley bandwagon!

(limericks are the only poems I know >.>)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Realism =/= Pessimism

A terrible mistake people like to make.

Anyway, can't wait to see Ridley's reveal trailer, assuming everyone gets one. I hope they go for a more lighthearted take instead of an EPIC one, but maybe I should expect the latter, lol.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh man... Ridley's trailer would be just so, so beautiful. I'm guessing it'll be something along the lines of Samus and some other characters doing their own thing when a dramatic shadow dawns overhead.

At this point, the "realist" take on the situation would be "what the hell goes on in Sakurai's mind? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN ARGH".

D

Deleted member

It seems as there has been drama going around in regards to the Ridley and K. Rool thread lately. I know that things have been worrisome in regards to both characters, but rest assure that it is not time to give up hope yet.

One argument that could be used against Ridley is the difficulties of adding him into the game, which Sakurai hinted at. However, there are two things that should be encouraging in regards to Ridley.

First off, Sakurai has shown with the Villager that he does change his mind on characters. Originally, Sakurai deemed the Animal Crosser unworkable due to being too peaceful, yet yesterday, the Villager was finally revealed as a playable character. It shows that Sakurai does look back at characters to add.

Here's the thing. Sakurai had flat out ruled out the possibility of adding the Animal Crosser into the game. In comparison, Sakurai said the Ridley was impossible, but then contradicted himself in the same sentence. If Sakurai added a previously ruled out character, how does it not help Ridley, who's quote is ambiguous?

Another thing is the fitting issue with Ridley. No doubt Ridley will be difficult to add into the game, but this is not something that can't be done with enough effort. If Sakurai is adding new third-party characters again (with the Blue Bomber no less along with a practically inevitable Pac-Man reveal tomorrow) who he has gone on the record to say in some ways are harder to add than making the game itself, then why wouldn't Ridley be able to work, who would be far easier to add just on the basis of being a Nintendo character?

I still maintain that Ridley is likely to get in Smash 4 and I'd be pretty surprised to see him left out. At the very least, I'm far more confident in Ridley's inclusion than I was with Mega Man within the last couple of months or so before his confirmation, so I have a good feeling in regards to him.

D

Deleted member

Oasis brought up a point about Samus potentially being "shrunk" due to Other M, and as such, Ridley doesn't need to be too much smaller.

The perfect comparison would be that group clip of Samus, Pit, and Link in that Developer video Sakurai made and compare their sizes to each other in Brawl.
Maybe Samus did get a bit smaller.

EDIT: And it seems to me that Bowser got bigger outside of the posture change.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think an argument we'll be seeing more of is that, due to Smash's new cartoony look, which allows characters like Villager to get in, it might bar characters like Ridley because he's so scary.

Which is silly, but you'll hear it I'm sure.

Also since some people were imagining the trailer implied a smaller roster for whatever reason, I wouldn't worry about Ridley if that were the case either. If the roster shrunk, yet had to add new characters too, then I'd imagine you'd get more relevant and more... "central" characters to Nintendo to make the cut. Which still leaves Ridley. But I definitely don't see this scenario after seeing the trailer, so it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well the good news is, that even if we get another 3 new characters tomorrow, that only leaves the total newcomers at 6. There could easily be anywhere from 3 to 9 more newcomers. There isn't much to worry about yet I suppose.

Top Bottom