• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
:/ Pff. Seems it doesn't work at all like they claimed.

Glad I can get a refund.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Codejunkies US or EU?

I ordered from the EU one on the 28th and I'm pretty clueless as to it's status.

I MIGHT, simply buy another freeloader with a definite postage date and then just send back the one which comes 2nd. I have the money and I lack the patience.
It was indeed Codejunkies US.

Also, from their FAQ:
"Delivery tracking is not currently available but once the order status has been updated to dispatched you can expect delivery within 1-3 days."

Basically, the "Shipped" step is the last one you'll be aware of before getting the item. Here's hoping I can get it by this afternoon.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
"I just used it with Super Smash Brother Brawl.... it performed the 'update' for the game, but not the "dashbaord"... now when I insert SSMBB after using freeloader, it doesn't ask for an update at all.

If you insert the game disc without loading the Freeloader 1st, you're asked to"
A coder from Codejunkies apparently said this.
...What?
lolz.

Also:
"Divineo.co.uk has shot us over furter insider information regarding Datel's FreeLoader product for the Wii. So far, 41 Wii import games have been tested on a PAL console, 37 worked without problems while 4 required a firmware update to work. This is disbaled but to get these games to work on a lower firmware, you need to do a DOUBLE swap, ie re-insert FreeLoader then insert the game again to work. It is also beleived that there will be three versions of the software, one for each ***/USA/EU, thus the images are likely not to be final and will have just one respective flag on the front."

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
:S So basically, to play Brawl we have to do what we did with the old Freeloader but twice.

>_> That's not so bad. Kind of annoying, but not so bad.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
:S So basically, to play Brawl we have to do what we did with the old Freeloader but twice.

>_> That's not so bad. Kind of annoying, but not so bad.
Think it's only the first time you load the game.
I don't get what he means. Does he mean a double swap? =S

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Think it's only the first time you load the game.
I don't get what he means. Does he mean a double swap? =S
Me neither...dammit, why can't they just put the **** info up on the Freeloader's Specs page? Eh...well, I guess the double swap thing refers to the alternative method. It doesn't sound too reliable to me, though.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
To me it sounds like there are two different type of Wii updates. There's general Firmware updates which effects how your Wii operates in general. Some games require your Wii to be at a certain version or higher. To cater to players without WiFi Nintendo includes these updates on the game disks. Since this is a general Wii update getting one from a game disk from a different region could brick your Wii, hence why the Freeloader blocks them.

However, there's also a second type of update which is only for one game specific. It doesn't effect the rest of your Wii and as such cannot be downloaded. These are also included on the game disks of games that require them and since they don't effect the rest of your Wii they probably won't brick it if you get one from a different region. So in order to be able to play games that require these types of updates the Freeloader allows you to unblock updates by dual booting it. You'd only have to do this once for that game specifically though.

As for Smash, as far as I know it runs on version 3.2 of the Wii firmware, which is what European Wii's are already running on. So it shouldn't require a general firmware patch. It might require a game specific update which could be allowed by dual booting and shouldn't effect the normal operation of your Wii. If that's the case you'd have to dual boot the first time you play Brawl to apply the patch and from then on you can play with only 1 boot.

Note that this is mostly conjecture based on what I've managed to piece together about the workings of the Freeloader. However, considering that the Freeloader and Brawl went into production at pretty much the same time I don't expect there will be any trouble getting Brawl to run. It was to late for Nintendo to include anything to prevent the Freeloader from working with Brawl, so Brawl should work with the Freeloader like any other game released so far.

PS: Assuming Brawl does require version 3.2 I would advice you update to that through Wiiconnect24 before you get Brawl. To ensure that you won't get the 3.2 update from the Brawl disk, which could brick your Wii.

PS: By double booting they mean starting with the Freeloader in, then ejecting it and entering it again to allow it to load the Freeloader a second time before finally putting in your game.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Ah, thanks for that MrSilver. =]
Makes sense. Hopefully the game specific updates won't hurt the Wii. Sounds like letting the update on the Brawl disc run first time is the only way to get it to work, but, at least we know it'll probably work if we do that.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still haven't even seen any confirmation that there even is a game specific update on the Brawl disk, just that "some games" have them. We'll have to wait and see when the Americans get their copies tonight.

Anyone from the US reading this that can confirm if Brawl requires an update before running?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I still haven't even seen any confirmation that there even is a game specific update on the Brawl disk, just that "some games" have them. We'll have to wait and see when the Americans get their copies tonight.

Anyone from the US reading this that can confirm if Brawl requires an update before running?
I think that one of the 4 games that required a game specific update that Codejunkies was talking about is Brawl

They could be:
Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario ( Did this require an update), and Brawl?

Although, I'm sure TP required an update, so TP could replace Brawl on that list.
I hope it doesn't have a game specific update. It would make the Freeloader more complicated than I'd want it to be =[

Fox Illusion

Smash Cadet
I emailed bmc about the shipping date and they said "There was a delay with delivery but should be with us Monday."

CatFreeeek

Smash Cadet
My brother was just on Sky news and he said tha the freeloader is out 2day so hopefully people who order it will get it soon.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
I just ordered it. Now I keep my prayers for that it works. (That's how you say it, right? English is not my native language)

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
I don't think our copies of Brawl will be going anywhere anytime soon - they only send out air deliveries from Philadelphia every weekday at 4pm EST. So we should get it delivered sometime on Wednesday or Thursday.

CatFreeeek

Smash Cadet
I had an email from Gamestop telling me they sent Brawl yesterday. Not sure wen Ill get it tho but its pointless if I havent got the Freeloader.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
I don't think our copies of Brawl will be going anywhere anytime soon - they only send out air deliveries from Philadelphia every weekday at 4pm EST. So we should get it delivered sometime on Wednesday or Thursday.
Did you look that up somewhere?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I expected Wednesday at the earliest, but I think it'll show up Thursday/Friday.
Not too bothered though. If what BMC say is true this time, their shipment of Freeloaders arrive Monday, so I should have a Freeloader by Tuesday/Wednesday.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Well, I'm just happy that I can play Brawl way earlier than I was expecting from the beginning, if the Freeloader just works.

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Did you look that up somewhere?
Yeah, on UPS's site. My Brawl in currently in a UPS depot somewhere in Philadelphia, so I looked up the Philadelphia depots and all of them say that the air and ground deliveries are picked up at 4pm Mondays through Fridays.

Of course, I may have read that wrong, and they may ship them when they open at 9am on Monday, but there's definitely gonna be no more shipping this weekend.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Any Europeans feeling a little left out what with all the hype 'cos of the US release date :laugh:?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Gotta say, I am too =[

Oh well, if all goes as planned, could have Brawl and Freeloader by Wednesday x]

Skepsis

Smash Rookie
I'm really getting frustrated by BMC's lack of responsiveness. My PayPal payment took like a week to clear, which I'm sure is somehow their fault because I bought a US Brawl immediately after buying the freeloader and the payment for that cleared within the hour. I sent them an email asking about my payment, and also about the expected shipping date; That day, my payment finally decided to clear and I got a "we have received your payment" email, but I'm fairly certain it was automated because they didn't answer my question about shipping.

I'm certainly not giving them positive feedback, that's for sure. My US Brawl shipped yesterday and there's still no word on the Freeloader.

CatFreeeek

Smash Cadet
Is the Freeloader in any shops like GAME or Gamestation? I looked in Gamestation 2day but I cudent c it, well I actually 4got bout it & wasent looking.......It's really annoying that my copy of Brawl has been sent on it's way but there's no news of the Freeloader even tho out of the 2 I expected 2 get Freeloader 1st.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
This thread has begun to depress me slightly.

I'm gonna send a globe to Iwata for his birthday and put a huge ring around Europe. I would then go over to Japan myself and proceed to slap him with a glove covered in rhinestones.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
http://www.bargainmemorycards.co.uk/product/nintendo-wii-freeloader-play-region-free-games

Bargain Memory cards now have the Freeloader as " In stock", I remember checking a few days ago and it was " Out of stock". seems they have it and have already shipped.
Anyone who ordered from BMC take this as a good sign, and hopefully expect it Monday or Tuesday ^^
yay, thanks for telling us :) i wouldnt be looking til monday and i would probably miss the post. if it comes tuesday im stuffed, im at a sixth form review day and my mam + bro are at work...

EDIT: ooh, i have first 2 lessons off. that leaves me third in school, then 4th 5th and 6th off. I hope it comes before 10:15 :urg: although i dont get brawl til bout the 15th, i want the freeloader to feel... reassured lol.

EDIT 2: hey, the ebay shop i bought my brawl from says its delivery is 'other 24 hour courier' but i got a message saying it wouldnt be here til the 15th or after, anyone know what i can do?

Cheers

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Haha , I feel lucky that my school day is filled with like 5 periods of art xP
Get to go home at 12 everyday apart from Friday.

Same here. I'm confident Brawl will arrive shortly, if the weather storms around the US don't interfere, all I want is the Freeloader to be her. I'm pretty confident now that it'll arrive shortly though since they now have it in stock x]

About the Ebay thing, does it mean sending off the item, or receiving the item? If it's receiving the item I'd think it only applies to Ground based deliveries, as sending an item from the US to the UK in a day sounds **** near impossible xP

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
Haha , I feel lucky that my school day is filled with like 5 periods of art xP
Get to go home at 12 everyday apart from Friday.

Same here. I'm confident Brawl will arrive shortly, if the weather storms around the US don't interfere, all I want is the Freeloader to be her. I'm pretty confident now that it'll arrive shortly though since they now have it in stock x]

About the Ebay thing, does it mean sending off the item, or receiving the item? If it's receiving the item I'd think it only applies to Ground based deliveries, as sending an item from the US to the UK in a day sounds **** near impossible xP
I agree with that, although its the only option i had available and i did pay for it. help!

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
You could attempt to cancel your order by contacting the seller and trying to sort something out through Paypal. I don't exactly know how that's done though.

What was the estimated delivery time the seller gave you?

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
he didnt, until 2 days after i bought it, but i emailed him previously asking when it would be posted, he said the 9th and thats it (although i got confirmation of postage from him on the 7th) i really think this seller is either unorganised, lying for sales (unlikely cos of feedback) or confused.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Sounds like he might have been confused about sending it, since it hasn't officially been released yet? =S
Hm, if he's already sent it you won't be able to cancel the order =[

Top Bottom