• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
The update is to read the Dual Layered disk I think, so no, Freeloader wouldn't be able to successfully bypass it and still make the game work.

I'm still not sure if it'd be alright to perform updates on Game disk, because game specific updates shouldn't brick, or hurt your Wii even if its from a different region =S

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Im pretty sure that the update isnt going to stop you from using the freeloader, as far as im aware it only got released recently so chances are Nintendo havent had time to block the freeloader, we dont even know if when they blocked the last one was intentional or the side effect of something else in the update.

I think its unlikly that this is going to stop any of us PAL smashers from playing.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
....Well I'll try to play the game first time without the update, if it doesn't work I will have to risk the chance of updating. :urg:

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Im pretty sure that the update isnt going to stop you from using the freeloader, as far as im aware it only got released recently so chances are Nintendo havent had time to block the freeloader, we dont even know if when they blocked the last one was intentional or the side effect of something else in the update.
We're not worried about this update killing the freeloader, we're worried about a game specific update being compatible on a PAL Wii. I'm not sure if the Wii will be able to handle the contrast of the 2 regions, and it may stop working all together. Overloooad D:

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Do you know of any other games with game specific updates that didn't brick Wiis?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
We knew there was an update because someone e-mailed Nintendo before brawls release asking them.

-Brawl was already in stores (not to sell of course) when the freeloader was released
-Japanese brawl was already out for the public before the freeloader was announced
-It would be very pre-emptive of Nintendo to block unreleased software

I thought this was discussed ages ago. The update is only there to allow dual layer discs to run, Nintendo can't exactly see into the future.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I thought this was discussed ages ago. The update is only there to allow dual layer discs to run, Nintendo can't exactly see into the future.
It was never announced that letting the Update run on a PAL Wii would confuse the Wii, and ultimately stop it from working though. =/
I'm pretty sure Brawl won't be able to run without reading the Dual layered disk, so I sincerely hope that it's safe to perform this update on a PAL console.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
But, has there been any other game-specific update that when played on a Wii from the wrong region didn't brick?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
But, has there been any other game-specific update that when played on a Wii from the wrong region didn't brick?
Nobody knows yet. Not many people actually have the Freeloader.
There's apparently someone on youtube that posted a video of the US No More Heroes playing on a PAL Wii. I don't know if:
A) He used Freeloader
B) NMH requires a game specific update to start.

=S

:034:

Smash Hero
Didn't CodeJunkies or whoever test it on 41 different imported games on a PAL Wii, and four of them needed double swapping because of a game specific update? And all of them simply working afterwards and only needing one boot after that? I'm pretty sure Brawl will need a double swap, but I think it'll simply work after that.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I checked, and NMH did not require a update. :/

Yeah, they tested the JP version of the game and it worked, so I doubt the game won't play without the update because of the disc thing...in fact, I doubt the update is for the dual layer disc thing. :/ The Wii was always capable of reading dual layer discs, I remember they made a big deal of it waaaaaay back at E3 2006 or something (the news was always passed around along with a photo of Miyamoto holding up a DVD9 next to the Wii to compare size).

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
My tacking thing for brawl is now,

PHILADELPHIA,
PA, US 03/09/2008 11:36 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN

o.O

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Argh... The whole Freeloader business is making me nervous! I sure hope it works... or I may have to get a Japanese Wii afterall...

To be honest, I think it should work. Maybe Datel timed the release with Brawl's release, Nintendo didn't see it coming, and Brawl was completed before the Freeloader was announced. Plus Nintendo have no experience of how this new Freeloader works, so I don't think they could block it.

If anyone gets it... make sure to post.

Do you think bmc are selling the US Freeloader to UK? I sure hope not.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
But... what if Nintendo DID see the Freeloader coming, and thus delayed Brawl from Febuary in US to March? Just to make sure the Freeloader wouldn't work with it? Now, I don't honestly belive that to be very probable, but if Nintendo had spies or something on Codejunkies, we're pretty much screwed.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Naw, if that was the case then they would've delayed the JP version more than one week too. The February to March delay was because of production stuff.

I don't think we need to worry about Nintendo blocking the Freeloader. I think what we need to worry about before anything else is the update bricking our Wiis.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
The think is, Nintendo probably can't predict which way the freeloader will work, so they can't program anything to brick it. I'm no expert but that seems logical to me. The point is, they probably predicted it being released sometime, but it hadn't been revealed or announced. I doubt anyone outside CodeJunkies knew about it.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
stuff it! i get the freeloader + brawl on wed. I will try it, but which method do i try? freeloader-freeloader-brawl or just freeloader-brawl

EDIT: hopefully someone who will try it gets it before me though. and if it comes with instructions, that will help GREATLY because it could have certain games its been tested on and how to do it, etc.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
The think is, Nintendo probably can't predict which way the freeloader will work, so they can't program anything to brick it. I'm no expert but that seems logical to me. The point is, they probably predicted it being released sometime, but it hadn't been revealed or announced. I doubt anyone outside CodeJunkies knew about it.
Nonono, I meant the update on the Brawl disc bricking the Wii. That's what happens when do a NA update on the PAL Wii. But now someone said maybe "game-specific" updates don't brick the Wii...but...I don't see how you could get a update from another region unless it came from a game disc. And we know for a fact that updates from other regions have bricked Wiis. So it seems to me like only game-specific updates brick Wiis...erm...am I missing something?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Do you think bmc are selling the US Freeloader to UK? I sure hope not.
On their auctions they said it was the UK version, so nah.

As to Nintendo knowing about the Freeloader, I don't think so. I honestly don't think Datel would risk Nintendo knowing about their product, letting Nintendo get something out to brick it, and then losing a crap load of sales. They've most likely kept it tightly under wraps, and Nintendo has had the wool shoved over their eyes.

YES! @ My Brawl departing Philadelphia =D
Weird that it departed on a Sunday though =S

I'm not sure about this game specific update bricking it anymore. Apparently Codejunkies have already tested games with game specific updates, and they've managed to somehow either
A) Bypass them and get the game working
or
B) Perform the update without bricking it.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think they bypassed them. I really can't see why some updates wouldn't brick the Wii...unless we don't for a fact that foreign updates cause brickage. Nor do I see why a update would be vital for playing one certain game (updates can't update hardware)...eh, could someone check around if the update on the Brawl disc is a firmware update? 'cause that's the only thing I see could block you from playing the game unless you update...

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
The way I see it -
The updates the freeloader disk bypasses are the ones put onto the disks.
All the other updates (the ones you download) are installed manualy, you have to agree to install them so you dont need to bypass those, just dont install them (or check before hand if they are okay to install).

I have ordered the NTSC brawl and the freeloaded, and I would like to know how it does actually work and stuff, im really supprised there isnt anything out there yet

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I think I read on a forum that it is firmware.
There was also a CodeJunkie coder that posted on a forum also. He said he got Brawl to work with the Freeloader, but I think that would have been the Japanese version. The US/ Japanese shouldn't be that different should they?

This shows the update happening:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=11oGsU1VW9c

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
YES! @ My Brawl departing Philadelphia =D
Weird that it departed on a Sunday though =S
Yeah, I thought that was weird too, but it's only been scanned. We'll not know if it's been shipped or not until it's scanned on arrival somewhere in the UK. Which could be anytime between now and Tuesday.

I don't think they'd ship it on a Sunday (Gamestop said 3-5 BUSINESS days) so I figure it'll ship sometime Monday morning. Allow time for a 6-hour flight (+ 5-hour time difference), and we'll probably gets news of the arrival scan sometime late on Monday evening or first thing on Tuesday morning.

And in regards to the disc-bricking thing: I have every faith in Datel.

Dark Google

Smash Cadet
"PHILADELPHIA,
PA, US 03/09/2008 11:36 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN "

wait wat

Since when did they do anything on Sundays?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Hm. Getting it on Wednesday actually sounds plausible now. If it does arrive here on Wednesday I seriously hope I have the Freeloader by then =S
I'd hate to be staring at the Brawl box for days, longingly =[

I'm also going to pick up some canned air tomorrow, so i can clean the disk lens. I really don't want an error message when I try to put Brawl in ><

I have faith in Datel, but I can't help but wonder if it's actually going to be able to bypass it successfully, because the coder at CodeJunkies said he had to do the double boot, then actually perform the update =S

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
Hm. Getting it on Wednesday actually sounds plausible now. If it does arrive here on Wednesday I seriously hope I have the Freeloader by then =S

I'm also going to pick up some canned air tomorrow, so i can clean the disk lens. I really don't want an error message when I try to put Brawl in ><

I have faith in Datel, but I can't help but wonder if it's actually going to be able to bypass it successfully, because the coder at CodeJunkies said he had to do the double boot, then actually perform the update =S
but it worked after this update?

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Well then, in that case, I don't see why this shouldn't work. I do remember Codejunkies saying the JP game works, so the dual layer thing will not make it necessary to update. Updates and all that probably don't matter then; it all comes down to whether the game works with the Freeloader, like all those games they tested. (Didn't we reach this conclusion, like, five pages back? I'm just being paranoid, aren't I?)

>_> So...waiting game, waiting game, gotta play the waiting game...

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37

Case Closed on the bricking thing then?

Was he using a NTSC american wii or PAL UK on? Doesnt matter, the fact is he wouldnt have been using a japanese wii to try and play the japanese brawl. You said youself he installed the update and got it working. So does this mean there is nothing to worry about with the whole 'bricking' thing?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Codejunkies Coder said:
"I just used it with Super Smash Brother Brawl.... it performed the 'update' for the game, but not the "dashbaord"... now when I insert SSMBB after using freeloader, it doesn't ask for an update at all.

If you insert the game disc without loading the Freeloader 1st, you're asked
to"
It's hard to understand what he's saying. He isn't very coherent =/
It sounds like he did a double boot though.

Kye: Haha, think we are being paranoid. I think we all eventually came to the conclusion that it would work because CodeJunkies tested out 41 games, and I think I remember hearing one of those 41 was SSBB. SSBB was one of the 4 that required the double boot, but was still able to run successfully after the double boot.

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about the 41 games thing (do you mean NA SSBB?), but I remember that they told that guy who called them that they tested the JP version and it worked. So if they had to update then too, then there shouldn't be a problem now. I mean, how different would the NA update be?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
The testers tested 41 games, and they all worked. 4 , however needed a firmware update to run, but once they did a double boot they worked fine. They didn't specify which games these were, but I can probably guess they were

Mario Galaxy
MP3
Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario, or possibly SSBB.

The SSBB copy they tested was the JP version. So it sounds like it does eventually work, but I'm not sure if you'll need to perform the update for it to work, or if the double boot will be enough to simply bypass the update.

I feel like we're going round in circles xP

Well, I'm pretty sure It'll work now. Now all I have to worry about is when the Freeloader will come, and if my disc lens is clogged with dust, and the copy of Brawl won't work ><
I got my Wii at Christmas though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
has anyone actually called codejunkies to see if it works with brawl?
feel free. Im sure you can get the number from thier site. I'm guessing they are going to say it will. I think we are all getting worked up over nothing. Dont you think its strange they are releasing it now right as Smash Bros is. I think its they game they wanted it to work with most

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Twilight Princess didn't need an update, I know that for a fact. Since it was a launch game, whatever 'update' it needed would have been built into the launch firmware.

Top Bottom