• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Removal of Dr. Mario

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Mario should just get an added quit color to look like Dr. Mario. Like Blood Falcon is to Captain Falcon, Wario to Mario, Daisy to Peach, Waluigi (partly) to Luigi, Boshi to Yoshi, or Meta-Knight (unarmored) to Kirby. He could easily end up as an Easter Egg but I doubt it. (Unlockable, but not necessairly as a real playable character).

N30N

Smash Apprentice
this is probably a little off topic but why is gannon considered a clone of captain falcon and not the other way around ?

and yeah, on the basis that, of the two charecters most alike, and one had to go (for what reason im not sure), it would probably be doc mario, im pretty sure thats all people are saying.

im not entirely sure why people are getting so worked up over this, its all speculation anyway as obviously they didnt say "we are removing doctor mario", so yeah.

either way its not gamebreaking for a game that isn't released yet.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
this is probably a little off topic but why is gannon considered a clone of captain falcon and not the other way around ?

and yeah, on the basis that, of the two charecters most alike, and one had to go (for what reason im not sure), it would probably be doc mario, im pretty sure thats all people are saying.

im not entirely sure why people are getting so worked up over this, its all speculation anyway as obviously they didnt say "we are removing doctor mario", so yeah.

either way its not gamebreaking for a game that isn't released yet.
No I'm sorry, Mario will get the boot :laugh:

Ganondorf and Falcon are considered clones for the same reason as Luigi to Mario, basic move sets with suttle differences. My assumption is that because Melee was rushed... and Ganondorf being a clone, when he was easily have gotten his own moveset, is proof.

*Firefly*

Smash Journeyman
Yeah when I unlocked ganon for my friend I was happy. But when I played him I got sad :(.

oh yea and remove dr.mario

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You know what I meant If they make him someone else won't get in space in terms of number of characters that are original because they announced that there would only be forty.
No, if I had known what you meant and didn't want to point out your mistake to you, I obviously wouldn't have said that.

Also, as someone else said, fourty was never announced. There could be thirty-two characters in Brawl or sixty for all we know.

On top of that, I believe this arguement has become stagnent. No one is bringing up new points, and as far as I can recollect, I or someone else has countered most, if not all, the points brought up.

New material, plox.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Even with 40 characters the only way I want to see Dr. Mario back is if he is a costume for Mario.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Why would anyone ever say "I DON'T want (name) in Brawl" when someone else wants them? :(

That is mean. I like Doc :(

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
Why would anyone ever say "I DON'T want (name) in Brawl" when someone else wants them? :(
Because space is limited on the next Smash brothers game and not everyone agrees on who should appear on the next game. Therefore, if a character I didn't care about appeared on the game, that's one less chance someone I did want to appear on the game couldn't.

Example: If Dr. Mario appears on SSBB, that's one character slot that could be taken away from Marth (or some other character I want to see.)

Peeze

Smash Master
Dr. Mario would be a waste of a character slot, as would roy. I'm not dissin roy (he used to be my main) just he's too similar and it would be nice to see new UNIQUE characters.

Arj

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Mario is better than Mario that's pretty funny. He's the only clone better than his original, and probably more popular as well.

For example I really can't name a great pro Mario player besides brown mario, but for Dr. Mario we have Kentaross, S-Royal, Caveman, and CJ (I'm missing a few).

I don't think he should be removed, simply added as a costume choice for Mario.

icymatt

Smash Lord
That's what most of us want, then they don't need to waste time making him more than an altered character model(note: That also means he doesn't get any moves that are even slightly different from Mario.) Thus, giving them more time to make unique characters.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The thing is, had Dr. Mario not been in Melee then nobody would even care to bring him up or even consider him so I doubt anyone wants him because of his franchise. If that is the case than make him a costume and change his moves and stats when he picks it. Also don't tell me that they won't make stat changes for different costumes if you don't know. All I am saying is that as a costume, people will have doc and he won't waste a character spot for someone more deserving. *CoughGenoCough*

icymatt

Smash Lord
The whole costume idea is that it would only be a slight physical change, like Pikachu's hats(except more detailed). Having costumes that change character's stats would be confusing, and a waste of time.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
The whole costume idea is that it would only be a slight physical change, like Pikachu's hats(except more detailed). Having costumes that change character's stats would be confusing, and a waste of time.
But you forget that the developers still have all the things from melee. They just have to download it into Brawl and bam! Problem solved.

icymatt

Smash Lord
If Dr.Mario is gonna be (even slightly) different from Mario, he'd basically be a different character, not a costume.

And really, didn't Sakurai join as director to prevent others from rehashing elements from Melee?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If Dr.Mario is gonna be (even slightly) different from Mario, he'd basically be a different character, not a costume.

And really, didn't Sakurai join as director to prevent others from rehashing elements from Melee?
Racoon mario, frog mario, fire mario, FLUDD mario, super mario, tanooki mario, and shell mario. Looks like all you guys get to be in the next smash because you are all slightly different than regular Mario. Also I was just saying that Sakurai has all of the beta and debug tech used in Melee. He is reworking every character from the ground up by slighlty adjusting stats and whatever from the Melee version.

icymatt

Smash Lord
Racoon mario, frog mario, fire mario, FLUDD mario, super mario, tanooki mario, and shell mario. Looks like all you guys get to be in the next smash because you are all slightly different than regular Mario.
Huggawah?

I'm just pointing out the problems with what is basically putting effort into making a character who is 'not really' a character. Technically, Dr.Mario would still be in the game, he just wouldn't have his own select screen portrait. That, to me, just sounds like a waste of energy.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Uncle Kenny, you get your own special section in my post, completely dedicated to you and your wealth of knowledge.

Uncle Kenny:
The thing is, had Dr. Mario not been in Melee then nobody would even care to bring him up or even consider him so I doubt anyone wants him because of his franchise.
Let's see here. Until you can time travel and remove him from Melee, then fast forward to Brawl discussions now, you're just being completely ignorant and speculative. And, if you people haven't been paying attention, the Tetris AND Dr. Mario franchise sells very well.

If that is the case than make him a costume and change his moves and stats when he picks it. Also don't tell me that they won't make stat changes for different costumes if you don't know.
Also, don't tell me they will make stat changes for different costumes if you don't even know.

Now then, contradiction uno:
But you forget that the developers still have all the things from melee. They just have to download it into Brawl and bam! Problem solved.
Well, if this is the case, then certainly Dr. Mario isn't taking up development time that could be used for other characters? Also, if this was the case, they wouldn't need Sakurai. Also, if this were the case, no characters would be removed. See where I'm getting at?

Contradiction number two:
Racoon mario, frog mario, fire mario, FLUDD mario, super mario, tanooki mario, and shell mario. Looks like all you guys get to be in the next smash because you are all slightly different than regular Mario. Also I was just saying that Sakurai has all of the beta and debug tech used in Melee. He is reworking every character from the ground up by slighlty adjusting stats and whatever from the Melee version.
Also, you're blowing what he said out of proportion to prove a measly point that otherwise didn't need proving.

Now that Uncle Kenny is done with, onward.

That's what most of us want,Yes, that was established before this thread was even made. then they don't need to waste time making him more than an altered character model(note: That also means he doesn't get any moves that are even slightly different from Mario.)Opinion. Thus, giving them more time to make unique characters.Opinion once more.
I am in green.

EDIT: Off topic, I think Mario should use FLUDD moves in Brawl >.>

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Can you at least give me a solid reason as to why he deserves to be in Brawl when he is the most obvious choice to cut? Don't pull that, "Tell me why he shouldn't then" as to avoid answering my question either. Or will you do the green thing and say all of it is opinion? I know it is but I just want to take into perspecitve why he so desperately needs to be in Brawl.

Edit: Nowhere along the line did I say they were going to use everything from Melee, I just said they have the tools FROM it. I know they will be original and I still don't see why he deserves a character spot when he can just as easilly be a costume or are you opposed to change?

P.S. I am really hoping you were kidding about that FLUDD thing.

Gaudion

Smash Apprentice
Stat-changing among outfits doesn't sound like a plausible solution. I think it would create just as many problems as it solves. I really thing the best solution is to make Doc a costume for Mario without the stat change. Just merge the two stat-wise, and then let sleeping dogs lie.

This may not be the most popular choice, but in my own humble opinion, that is the best. That way Doc stays for aesthetic value, he's not that different play-wise, and we have a free slot for a more unique character.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
The thing is, had Dr. Mario not been in Melee then nobody would even care to bring him up or even consider him so I doubt anyone wants him because of his franchise. If that is the case than make him a costume and change his moves and stats when he picks it. Also don't tell me that they won't make stat changes for different costumes if you don't know. All I am saying is that as a costume, people will have doc and he won't waste a character spot for someone more deserving. *CoughGenoCough*
QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.QFT.

Umm...except for the part that when you change costumes....change stats too.....that ruins the whole point of being a COSTUME!!!

thedudley

Smash Rookie
My face in your a**, i mean your a** in my face, w
it isn't hard to change these clones to the level that luigi was changed. similar moves with different stats and a few different moves. for instance the tornado is shared by the mario bros, but none of them is the same whether it is range, knockback, combo, or duration. not to mention how high they can go. give the clones some individual moves and change them enough from the original so that they are truly different.

Garath331

Smash Apprentice
There is going to be a Mario clone. He is Nintendo's big star, and has the broadest appeal of anybody. Mario is to Nintendo as Mickey Mouse is to Disney. They have better characters, but no one more recognizable. Before I played SSB, I had no idea who Samus, Captian Falcon, or Ness even were. In SSB, Mario was the only character to have a clone (Luigi). He had a clone again in SSBM (Doc). So even if Doc is cut, or changed to be not a clone, Mario will have a clone of some sort.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
i'm sure if dr marios in paper mario will defenaly be in i heard shadow is in brawl is it true
Shadow Mario has never been confirmed

Let's look at it this way, Sakurai is deciding wheter to pur Dr. Mario back in or someone new, say, Little Mac, Diddy Kong, etc., for the last charcter. Whom would you chose? A Mario clone, or a chance to play something entirely new?

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
i ment shadow the hedgehog dumb ***
He's VERY not confirmed and most people don't want him in the game. If Sakura suggested 1-3 3rd party characters, one is going to Sega for Sonic, and that's it. There is no way in Hell Shadow is getting in the game. And even if Sega was sending more than one representitive, chances is it could be someone from Super Monkey Ball, or perhaps Nights. And even if, IF Sega picked another Sonic character, Tails is in the front of that line, followed by Knuckles (who probably isn't getting in unless Tails gets in.) In short, Shadow has NO CHANCE IN HELL of getting in SSBB.

Top Bottom