• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Removal of Dr. Mario

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
They take doc out, I'm not buying brawl.

People are being completely ignorant and not actually thinking.

Doc *is* different, it's just people don't *play* as the character to notice it.

Infact, I don't think they will remove any characters....

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero

Doc *is* different, it's just people don't *play* as the character to notice it.

It IS confirmed that chacrters WILL be taken out of this game.

And people don't realize that no matter which charcter(s) will be taken out, there will be people upset at first, there are people out there who main Pichu, but charcters that are basically made from other charcters will most likely be cut first.

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
Can you give me a link of solid proof, from the creators, saying characters will be removed?

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Can you give me a link of solid proof, from the creators, saying characters will be removed?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

Scroll down a little skimming the "Highlights" section. These all facts came from the Smash Brothers Official Website

Unfortunately, we will still have to wait as to see which chacrters are taken out, but Sakurai has stated that many of the "clones" where added late into development for the sake of adding in new charcters. this also makes me sad, becasue I love using Gannandorf, and he amy be cut :cry:

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
Meh, it's a translation.... Information can be lost during translations....

Not saying he is 100% incorrect, but I can't believe they're going to *slow down* the game, because that's what makes Melee Melee... The Speed.

I personally think Sakurai is leaning towards the poor end of Brawl.

Just like every other rumor, some site has mentioned the removal of Ice Climbers, G&W, and another character.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
^ Actually, it says "MODERATED", so it is unclear wheter the gme will slow down. Anybody who psots that IC, Game and Watch being but rumor, THAT is 100 % incorrect, and PROVEN to be so by the original poster. Just wanted his 15 minutes of fame, I guess. SamuraiPanda has been really accurate in the past (except for sora being owned by Square Enix. Disney FTW!), so I wouldn't go out calling everything he says bullcrap

I<3Shiek

Smash Apprentice
Not saying he is 100% incorrect
>_>; Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he is 100% wrong.

I just find it hard that they are going to be making such changes, like "making characters more versatile in air"?

That should be more specific to Jiggs, Kirby, and what seems like Pit and MetaKnight.

I don't want a Marth character floating around killing people even more-so than currently.

Call it denial if you wish, but I believe removing "clones" will only hurt the game; The game discs space is becoming bigger by the weeks. Creating character generations don't take *THAT* much space.

Peeze

Smash Master
* Walks into the Dr. Mario thread *

What the hell? People are hating on Diddy Kong? I thought this was a Dr. Mario thread. Well, while I am here. You people that support Diddy Kong have a weak argument, shouldn't you slow it down some so our troll Peeze can understand it some? It you so desperately need reasons as to how they would be different than here you go :

1. They are a different species
2. One is big and strong and the other is small and fast
3. Diddy Kong has a jetpack, peanut pistols, a jump attack with his tail, a guitar attack. Oh yeah, DK doesn't have any of that does he?

The only thing similiar about them is that they have the same last name and are part of the primate family. Diddy has totally different moves, stats, size, everything! Shall I see you to the door?
I would bash you but i just got 2 points for flaming DDK and your not worth getting kicked off smashed boards, so I'll point to the fact that you said that you just walked in on the thread meaning that obviously you didn't read the post where i said the exact same thing that you just did, but i digress. After many persuasions i already agreed that DDK should be in brawl. Whoa self-control is hard.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I would bash you but i just got 2 points for flaming DDK and your not worth getting kicked off smashed boards, so I'll point to the fact that you said that you just walked in on the thread meaning that obviously you didn't read the post where i said the exact same thing that you just did, but i digress. After many persuasions i already agreed that DDK should be in brawl. Whoa self-control is hard.
I don't bash or flame and go ahead and neg rep me, I was at negative 8 for weeks. Also, I did read the entire argument and the only thing you were saying was that he was a smaller weaker clone. He wouldn't be a clone in any way, shape, or form. I just added the walking in and walking out for comic relief so I wouldn't look like a flamer. And you are right, self control is hard. I've been down that road. Don't think that I have anything angainst you, I really don't. I just want you to know that Diddy Kong would not be a clone and if you don't believe then ask Xianfeng, the Diddy Kong expert. His thread is around here somewhere...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I hate when people give people negative reputation for completely unfounded reasons and ignorant crap. Oh wait, what am I doing in here? Oh well.

I think Diddy Kong for one reason ONLY! Donkey Kong series needs some more representation. He's one of Nintendo's biggest icons and franchises, but he's only had one character for two entries. That needs to change. Also... haha, I love how I keep thinking of more reasons I can use for the Star Fox topic *runs off*

Also, I will now do something Uncle Kenny hates with a passion ^_^

Well, Kasahakuni made some points that he could have movesets and that his game was popular, but to answer the question "Do I want Dr. Mario In Brawl"?
Opinion.

Tee hee *runs off*

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I hate when people give people negative reputation for completely unfounded reasons and ignorant crap. Oh wait, what am I doing in here? Oh well.

I think Diddy Kong for one reason ONLY! Donkey Kong series needs some more representation. He's one of Nintendo's biggest icons and franchises, but he's only had one character for two entries. That needs to change. Also... haha, I love how I keep thinking of more reasons I can use for the Star Fox topic *runs off*

Also, I will now do something Uncle Kenny hates with a passion ^_^

Opinion.

Tee hee *runs off*
Most arguments used against Dr. Mario are opinion but when you think about it, does it matter? I mean, there is a guy argueing why Missingno should be in Brawl and he is a fricken glitch! He has all these reasons and facts to back it up and look at the character suggested. I am just going to title myself as neutral in the Dr. Mario debate but in my own honest opinion, I think he is getting cut.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Come to think of it, opinions and not facts, are the things that count. Ultimately, it's Sakurai's decision. And even if Dr. Mario's game(s) had good sales and what-not, if Sakurai doesn't think highly of him, he won't add him.

On the other hand, there's a chance Sakurai can add some other Mario like Frog Mario or Racoon Mario or whatever because he likes them in his own opinion.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Peeze Diddy is more original than Luigi and has more different moves than Luigi just so you know because Luigi is more like a green mario than Diddy is a small fast DK

Peeze

Smash Master
Yo you people are reading way too much into this DDK thing, all i said was he's a lighter, faster, more agile version of DK. if you can prove me wrong go ahead. He has the potential to have different moves than DK, but it all boils down to the fact that DDK(in his games) was a lighter faster more agile DK.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Yo you people are reading way too much into this DDK thing, all i said was he's a lighter, faster, more agile version of DK. if you can prove me wrong go ahead. He has the potential to have different moves than DK, but it all boils down to the fact that DDK(in his games) was a lighter faster more agile DK.
Even in the games he had different moves and couldn't do some of the stuff DK could, and DK couldn't do some of the stuff Diddy does.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude DDK = Me.
Diddy Kong = Character from Donkey Kong Country ;)

Anyways, even in DKC Diddy had other moves then DK. Diddy had the cartwheel, DK had the roll. And DK had the hand clap, which... He ALSO had in Melee as a down B attack. And since Diddy couldn't do that move... If the programmers did depreratly chooce to make Diddy a DK clone, they would be left with a impossible move right? ;)

And also check DK's other B moves, the Headbut which has the power to knock you into the ground cuz of DK's big *** head... And the Gaint Punch. Do you see Diddy doing these moves? DK's up B is just... Random... But Diddy has a Barrel Jetpack which could be used for that.

Not to mention... Diddy has a tail, and EVERY character with a tail used it in Melee. And since in DK64 most of his moves are excuted by his tail. And Mario also got almost all his standard moves from one game, Mario 64. So you cannot say that it doesn't count because he only used those moves in 1 game.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Dude DDK = Me.
Diddy Kong = Character from Donkey Kong Country ;)

Anyways, even in DKC Diddy had other moves then DK. Diddy had the cartwheel, DK had the roll. And DK had the hand clap, which... He ALSO had in Melee as a down B attack. And since Diddy couldn't do that move... If the programmers did depreratly chooce to make Diddy a DK clone, they would be left with a impossible move right? ;)

And also check DK's other B moves, the Headbut which has the power to knock you into the ground cuz of DK's big *** head... And the Gaint Punch. Do you see Diddy doing these moves? DK's up B is just... Random... But Diddy has a Barrel Jetpack which could be used for that.

Not to mention... Diddy has a tail, and EVERY character with a tail used it in Melee. And since in DK64 most of his moves are excuted by his tail. And Mario also got almost all his standard moves from one game, Mario 64. So you cannot say that it doesn't count because he only used those moves in 1 game.
Great argument. One thing I want to point out though is that Bowser never uses his tail but that is irrelevant. But besides that insignificant detail, good argument.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
And Mario also got almost all his standard moves from one game, Mario 64. So you cannot say that it doesn't count because he only used those moves in 1 game.
Excuse me but the only moves from Mario 64 that are in Smash Bros are:

Down smash: Breakdance
Dash: Baseball slide
Back throw: Orignially known as the Bowser toss

That's IT.

Peeze

Smash Master

And Diddy couldn't do the Headbutt, Hand Clap and the Giant Punch because he's SMALLER and WEAKER, correct?? I always said he had the potential to have different moves, so did Pichu( a smaller Pika) but he had the same moves just toned down.
Another reason your argument doesn't work, why in tiny melee can DK do all those moves? He's smaller, it's supposed to be impossible to do a giant punch when your small. Wait i think that they just toned down his moves i.e. less reach, knockback,damage. But hey what the heck do i know-don't answer that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And Diddy couldn't do the Headbutt, Hand Clap and the Giant Punch because he's SMALLER and WEAKER, correct?? I always said he had the potential to have different moves, so did Pichu( a smaller Pika) but he had the same moves just toned down.
Another reason your argument doesn't work, why in tiny melee can DK do all those moves? He's smaller, it's supposed to be impossible to do a giant punch when your small. Wait i think that they just toned down his moves i.e. less reach, knockback,damage. But hey what the heck do i know-don't answer that.
Thats because in Tiny Melee, DK is still a big and strong powerhouse... Hes just smaller. But in Tiny Melee DK still got huge arms for such a little guy. The Gaint Punch, headbut, Hand Clap, Fair and all DK's other 'power' moves dont feel right with Diddy. Could you lets say... Fox pulling out those moves?

And because Diddy is weaker and lighter doesnt mean he has to be a clone of DK. Pichu is weaker and lighter then DK to. Ohhh AND Pichu is faster then DK. Should he be a clone of DK instead? No, character stars and chararetism should affect who should be a clone of who.

Well atleast you know Diddy has potential having his own moves... ;)

And I dunno why people really want Dr.Mario to stay. If Mario just played like Doc does, I dare say EVERYBODY screamed that Doc should leave Smash. And perhaps Mario in Brawl plays much more like Melee Doc then Melee Mario? Anyhow, he will atleast play slightly diffrent from both characters... That atleast I can guarantee you.

Peeze

Smash Master
1. fox can't pull off those moves cause he's not a monkey he's a fox.
2. your pichu argument makes no sense i was comparing pichu to pika not to DK, but good try though.
3.Potential doesn't mean too much though look at G-Dorf and Falco they had potential to be different, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they weren't............sooooooo

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1. fox can't pull off those moves cause he's not a monkey he's a fox.
2. your pichu argument makes no sense i was comparing pichu to pika not to DK, but good try though.
3.Potential doesn't mean too much though look at G-Dorf and Falco they had potential to be different, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut they weren't............sooooooo
1: Diddy is a monkey yeah. DK is not. DK is a gorilla. :) Monkeys and gorillas in real life won't fight the same to. Well really a monkey wouldnt fight but just run... :chuckle: Anyways... this also was a good try.

2: Yeah but I was just being random there. Being lighter, weaker and faster doesnt mean that Diddy would be a clone. You said, in DKC Diddy was a lighter and weaker version of DK. But since Diddy had his own moves and was a other spiecies, you could take the word version away.

3: Melee was rushed... Nothing more needs to be said. But yeah knowing Nintendo even Pit could end up being a C.Falcon clone.

Peeze

Smash Master
1. yeah i know they're different species i just forgot what the general term for monkeys and apes and gorillas and chimps was, i think it's Sapiens.
2. Clone and version are two different things A gameboy advance SP is a version of a GBA not a clone of it. Pichu is a version a Pika(actually the other way around to be technical) his moves in melee classified him as a clone.
3. That's why brawl is taking 4everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to release to ensure crap like cloned movesets doesn't happen.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
And you know what I noticed? No one ever, and I mean ever, supports their reasoning. Why? That's what I ask all of you. Why? What are you reasons, beliefs, ideas, or excuses? Why should Dr. Mario be removed from Brawl? No, I'm going behind that, too. Why does he have this mysterious "high percentage" of being removed from Brawl? Care to inform the oh so ignorant one?
Maybe because he's an exact copy of Mario exept for the behavior of the pills, and slight differences in the rest of his moves? Alternate costume away!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1. yeah i know they're different species i just forgot what the general term for monkeys and apes and gorillas and chimps was, i think it's Sapiens.
2. Clone and version are two different things A gameboy advance SP is a version of a GBA not a clone of it. Pichu is a version a Pika(actually the other way around to be technical) his moves in melee classified him as a clone.
3. That's why brawl is taking 4everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to release to ensure crap like cloned movesets doesn't happen.
1: So are humans. And I wouldnt say the moves of Mario and C.Falcon do look similair.
2: Um... Yeah thats true. You got me there, however Diddy isnt a version of DK, because they are not the same person nor spiecies. From the same family and game yeah...
3: And thats why Diddy wouldnt ever be a clone. ;) The programmers arent so uncreative for that.

Back to the Doc discusion. Really, if Mario was just Doc in Melee and Doc was Mario. Would really ANYBODY wanted the doctor to return?

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Honestly, I doubt they'll bother 'taking anyone out'. What would be the point? Wouldn't they want to have a metric assload of characters? Isn't that smash bros' appeal?

The idea behind removing the good Doc is that he's too similar to his clone. As with Pichu and Young Link and all that. More than likely, they'll revamp their movesets.

I always had this perverse idea I came up with behind giving Young Link's down B, instead of bombs, making it Pull Mask, and giving him a random mask and therefore different benefits/disadvantages. They'll probably do something to everyone in Brawl.

Peeze

Smash Master
I don't think DR. mario should stay just cause a few people main him, those 4 people should just suck it up and master somebody else. They're adding a bunch of newbies to brawl anyways you're main will probly change anyways, i used fox in 64 now i can't handle him to his full potential, so my main changed.
(sorrry for sounding so harsh i forgot my pills)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If you really want to play Doctor Mario there is always Melee. Sakurai stated that Soctor Mario was added as a clone due to time restrictions. He posted this on his website during the Japanese poll. If there was no time restrictions would Doctor Mario really have been a new character? Wouldn't there be at least fifty other characters in front of the Doc? Not just because Mario already has a quasi-similar character in terms of moves and looks, but because the Doc is just so minor.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Bowserlick
If you really want to play Doctor Mario there is always Melee.
If you really wanna talk about Melee there is always the Melee forum.

Peeze
I don't think DR. mario should stay just cause a few people main him, those 4 people should just suck it up and master somebody else.
Maybe we just think he's a good character & want him to stay in the game.

Peeze
i used fox in 64 now i can't handle him to his full potential, so my main changed.
Nobody cares.

MiraiGen
Honestly, I doubt they'll bother 'taking anyone out'.
Supposedly, they already said they would.

Diddy Kong
Back to the Doc discusion. Really, if Mario was just Doc in Melee and Doc was Mario. Would really ANYBODY wanted the doctor to return?
Did you just ask "What if they were eachother"?

Bowserlick
Sakurai stated that Soctor Mario was added as a clone due to time restrictions. He posted this on his website during the Japanese poll. If there was no time restrictions would Doctor Mario really have been a new character? Wouldn't there be at least fifty other characters in front of the Doc? Not just because Mario already has a quasi-similar character in terms of moves and looks, but because the Doc is just so minor.
Please go swallow a knife.

Peeze

Smash Master
Maybe we just think he's a good character & want him to stay in the game.
Yeah i just played as Doc for the 1st time yesterday and he was rediculous, i guess i shoudn't jump to conclusions about characters until i play as them, still there are other character that deserve a spot in brawl.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Yeah i just played as Doc for the 1st time yesterday and he was rediculous, i guess i shoudn't jump to conclusions about characters until i play as them, still there are other character that deserve a spot in brawl.
Wow you just played as him... I though everyone plays as all the characters when they get the game and find the one that suits them best. I guess I was wrong. Still that seems strange that you just now play Doctor Mario. How long have you had the game? Oh and by the way, I think there are more Doc Mains than Mario Mains so the "those 4 people" statement is invalid because that doesn't strengthen Doc's removal.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master

Nobody cares if you don't buy it because Doc isn't in it who do you think you are anyway that your soimportant that it matters if you buy the game or not?

Top Bottom