• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Removal of Dr. Mario

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Rabble! Rabble rabble rabble!

Look, there's no reason to say "no more doctor mario". I play with Doc, so I want doc to stay. I don't play with mewtwo, but I don't want mewtwo to disappear.

If you wanted Doc and Mario to be less similar, well, you haven't played Doc and Mario. But if you want them to LOOK similar, then just say that.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
One Mario will suffice. Some way or another, they're going to find a way to sneak in the Fever theme in the game, I can feel it...
But I still want to throw pills.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Thing is, characters WILL be cut and this has been confirmed. Dr. Mario doesn't exactly have alot going for him. Sure they can change his moveset but that can be said for anyone. Do we honestly need Pichu to return? However, it would be funny if Pichu and only Pichu was cut and Sakurai just made that rule so he could do it. After all, we don't know how many cuts will be made.

Peeze

Smash Master
Wow you just played as him... I though everyone plays as all the characters when they get the game and find the one that suits them best. I guess I was wrong. Still that seems strange that you just now play Doctor Mario. How long have you had the game? Oh and by the way, I think there are more Doc Mains than Mario Mains so the "those 4 people" statement is invalid because that doesn't strengthen Doc's removal.
I've played as him before, I just brushed him off as a mario clone so never spent much time on him. I've had melee for like a year, but i used to play it regularly at a friends house be4 then. 4 people is an exaggeration by the way.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
I really hope they remove Doc because I main Mario, and if they remove Doc then I think there is a pretty strong chance that they will strengthen Mario to compensate. Nintendo probably knows that most smashers consider Doc to be a better character than Mario, but Mario is by far the more popular character. Personally I play Mario not only because I like him as a character in smash, but also because I just like Mario, if it where just a matter of who I could be better with I would go with Doc, but I just think Doc is kind of a lame character. I think alot of other people probably think the same thing. So if they remove Doc they can combine elements of Mario and Doc to make Mario better, such as giving his fireball the same properties as Doc's pills, and giving him some of Doc's KO moves. Mario is Nintendo's flagship character, and he deserves to have a good standing in Smash.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Thing is, characters WILL be cut and this has been confirmed. Dr. Mario doesn't exactly have alot going for him. Sure they can change his moveset but that can be said for anyone. Do we honestly need Pichu to return? However, it would be funny if Pichu and only Pichu was cut and Sakurai just made that rule so he could do it. After all, we don't know how many cuts will be made.
Except he i sone of the most popular characters in Japan -_^

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Yeah, that was why Pichu was even invented. Pikachu had huge fanbase, and they needed something even cuter.

I can see him getting the axe. He's one of the most worthless clones in Melee.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
Except he i sone of the most popular characters in Japan -_^
hoW do u knuw ths???!!! o_O

I still don't get why it'd be such a mortal sin to make Dr. Mario, aka Mario wearing a Dr's costume, into, say, a costume for Mario, rather than take up an entire character slot. Hell, I don't get how some people still think he's going to stay a seperate character from Mario.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
Mario > Dr. Mario
If they bring him back, it's as a costume, like Daisy is to Peach.
Maybe slight stat changes but I doubt it.
If not then he's getting CUT.

PhantomEdge

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much for a couple of reasons in my opinion.
1. Was the most similar clone in respect to its host(mario) in the game, and they were practically exactly the same. If you mained Dr. mario, you mained Mario as well.
2. mario should be given dr. marios stats to improve nintendo greatest character.
3. He needs to be taken out to make room for u much more original character, like the Skull Kid or Diddy Kong.

Edge has spoken.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You might aswell add this:

4) Characters change within the game. Even though Doc would return in Brawl, he'd play much diffrent then in Melee. Look at Pikachu for example in Smash64 and in Melee. Pika plays nothing like his killing self in Melee. And since Mario would change as well, you'd just aswell could main him.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Meh, he is in, he is in, if he is out, he is out, I do not really think it matters that much to me, any knew characters are likly to be decloned...

amann78

Smash Rookie
I would be happy with a "doc suit" as people are saying may happen. just something about the doc that gets me fired up. i've amassed quite a ko count with the good old doc.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Dr. Mario could be changed to have a totally different moveset for Mario, heck Sakurai could create a whole backstory for Dr. Mario and make him the third mario character.

Jones4Life

Smash Apprentice
In the space between you're oven and fridge
to be perfectly honest, i dont see why doctor mario was in MELEE. he wasnt promoting a new game or anything... honestly, i think he was only in there so the designers could put a different spin on mario and see which was better. Seeing as mario of brawl, or at least the demo, is somewhat a mixture of melee mario and doc, i see doctor mario returning as an alt. mario costume.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said characters would be cut. Guess what characters he was most likely referring to? The clones. And more specifically the clones who arent even new characters. Dr. Mario is Mario in a doctor suit with slightly different stats. Hes up there with Pichu on "almost definitely going to be cut"

Top Bottom